Deceased/Not Found IN - Najah Ferrell, 30, Avon, Hendricks County, 15 March 2019

APR 10, 2019
Police: Foul play suspected in death of Avon mother
[...]

Teams are continuing to search the Crown Point. Police said several ponds in the area are going to be searched.

Police said a tattoo on the remains is what connected the findings to Ferrell. APD said two family members identified the tattoo as belonging to Ferrell.

Police believe foul play is involved but are currently classifying the case as a death investigation rather than a homicide. That could change as more info is released.

Police say they confident based on their latest findings that someone knows what happened to Ferrell.

Ferrell's cause and manner of death remain undetermined.

[...]

Foot found in Indiana pond is likely from missing Avon mom
[...]

Police say Ferrell does have connections to the Crown Point area in northern Indiana but they could not confirm the details of those connections or how recent they may have been.

Nugent explained the details surrounding the case and explained why they are not yet calling it a homicide investigation at Wednesday's press conference.

Video of today's press conference is included in the article.

Thanks, Pommymommy.

One of the clarifications he did was to note the men were on shore and not out on the pond.

I missed parts of the PC; did he say what part of Eagle Creek they flew over? and any additional info on the wooded area SW of Indy?

Speculation based on facts as we believe we know them:

Her car was found so one assumes she was put into another vehicle. One would hope or think there may be some video of that.

Some personal items were thrown out just short miles from where her car was found. To me, this implies possibly more than one person. If she was put into another vehicle, I doubt she was made to drive a strange vehicle (although possible) but more likely grabbed and forced to get in. If someone threw her things out the window, I would think his/her hands were free to dig through her purse, etc. and dispose of things so I see the person as not the driver. It could be, however, that she was already killed or in the parking lot or something occurred in this area where the items were discarded. So then at some point either immediately at that time on that day or another, they continue to two hours (is that correct) away from these sites and dispose of at least a part of her body? And a part that would be recognized.

I thought I read upthread that she has family connections in the area of where remains were found. Was someone trying to frame by heading there to dispose? Or is there a connection to the area?

All of the above being said, it all could be wrong in the sense of did anything even happen that day? Was she herself ever sighted the morning she did not show for work or just her car found, just her items found, etc.? I do not think we know, do we?

Hopefully they are close to cracking this case.

Thanks, Pommymommy.

One of the clarifications he did was to note the men were on shore and not out on the pond.

I missed parts of the PC; did he say what part of Eagle Creek they flew over? and any additional info on the wooded area SW of Indy?
He didn't give many details, just that the aerial searches were 1) in the area of Eagle Creek on the western side of Indianapolis and, 2) a little bit of a wooded area on the near SW side of Indianapolis. He added that any time an aerial search is conducted, it is a result of receiving some type of information, whether it's a tip from Crime Stoppers, from an interview they conducted, etc.

APR 10, 2019
Police: Foul play suspected in death of Avon mother
[...]

Teams are continuing to search the Crown Point. Police said several ponds in the area are going to be searched.

Police said a tattoo on the remains is what connected the findings to Ferrell. APD said two family members identified the tattoo as belonging to Ferrell.

Police believe foul play is involved but are currently classifying the case as a death investigation rather than a homicide. That could change as more info is released.

Police say they confident based on their latest findings that someone knows what happened to Ferrell.

Ferrell's cause and manner of death remain undetermined.

[...]

Foot found in Indiana pond is likely from missing Avon mom
[...]

Police say Ferrell does have connections to the Crown Point area in northern Indiana but they could not confirm the details of those connections or how recent they may have been.

Nugent explained the details surrounding the case and explained why they are not yet calling it a homicide investigation at Wednesday's press conference.

Video of today's press conference is included in the article.

BBM--I do not know that it means anything but earlier as well it stood out that there is some connection to the Crown Point area with the victim. It just stands out to me.

Clearly she did not head there as her car was found near her job.

imo.

Thanks. I see Eagle Creek runs under 465 about 2.5 miles north of 36; maybe that's the area of interest. I have no idea what area is considered the near SW side of Indy.

BBM--I do not know that it means anything but earlier as well it stood out that there is some connection to the Crown Point area with the victim. It just stands out to me.

Clearly she did not head there as her car was found near her job.

imo.
I had trouble hearing all the answers clearly but I thought he said Najah lived in Gary at one time but he didn't have any dates. That was at the very end of the PC.

I had trouble hearing all the answers clearly but I thought he said Najah lived in Gary at one time but he didn't have any dates. That was at the very end of the PC.

Just makes me wonder--an ex? Children's father? She was with a fiance right? I do not want to accuse anyone as we do not know but clearly there is some connection there, whether it applies here or not is anyone's guess right? But it was quite a distance from where her car was and her current home where remains were found.

I have not listened to today's PC I should do that.

All I've heard so far is that they have recovered her foot, yet they keep saying it's a death investigation, foul play suspected and they dont believe the community is in danger. While I do understand it's very likely she is dead, there could be a small chance she is alive, correct? Am I missing something? Were more remains found?

All I've heard so far is that they have recovered her foot, yet they keep saying it's a death investigation, foul play suspected and they dont believe the community is in danger. While I do understand it's very likely she is dead, there could be a small chance she is alive, correct? Am I missing something? Were more remains found?

In the PC, he said the pathologist believes she is deceased. The foot has been the only remains that have been found as of the PC.

Now, my question: LE said they do not believe abduction is a factor; so what else is there?
Police calling case involving missing Avon mother a 'death investigation'
Avon Police do not believe there is a public safety threat and do not believe abduction is a factor in Ferrell's disappearance.

Yeah, it's mentioned here: Body still missing, but woman declared dead after severed foot found in Crown Point pond

That article says she's been in Indianapolis for at least 8 years, though, although the mention of her getting another traffic ticket that same year makes it sound like she frequently traveled back and forth to Gary.

APR 10, 2019
'Truly the worst outcome': Avon police provide updates in Najah Ferrell case
[...]

No witnesses to Ferrell's last assumed whereabouts have been found, and police are still checking to see if any video surveillance footage is available. Additionally, no other remains besides a foot have been discovered, though authorities continue to dredge several ponds near I-65 and 109th Street in Crown Point.

"We got a lot of information from the coroner," Avon Deputy Chief of Investigations Brian Nugent Wednesday at a news conference in Avon. "But here we are a few weeks after we told you about her disappearance, and we are in the same position."

[...]

Nugent said that identification is still considered preliminary, and DNA test results needed to make an official confirmation were pending. He added that there was no solid timeline for those DNA results to be returned, but members of the backlogged Indiana State Police Crime Lab were doing all they could to produce results in the coming weeks.

[...]

Police have not categorized the investigation as a homicide because the cause and manner of death remain undetermined. Still, investigators suspect foul play and urged the community to help them answer questions that still surround the case.

[...]

Nugent said Ferrell has some past connection to Northwest Indiana. She formerly lived in the Gary area, and it is believed that she still has family in the area. No suspects or persons of interest have been identified.

[...]

Police have also been working to secure surveillance footage from businesses in the area of 86th Street and Michigan Road and the area of Rockville Road and I-465 in Indianapolis.

[...]

Nugent said the FBI, Brownsburg police, state conservation officers and the Indiana State Police have provided assistance in the case and continue to be involved.

Searches of key areas of the pond, with the help of sonar and cadaver dogs, will take place in the coming days.

[...]

I hate talking morbidly or graphically so I will attempt to word this carefully.

There seems no doubt per the coroner to LE that she is dead. I mean I know most of us would just guess that with finding a part of her body but he seems certain. That has me wondering how they can tell that so quickly from this single body part. An educated guess would be can they tell if the foot was severed either before or after death and determine that fairly quickly? Does anyone know the answer to this?

I hate talking morbidly or graphically so I will attempt to word this carefully.

There seems no doubt per the coroner to LE that she is dead. I mean I know most of us would just guess that with finding a part of her body but he seems certain. That has me wondering how they can tell that so quickly from this single body part. An educated guess would be can they tell if the foot was severed either before or after death and determine that fairly quickly? Does anyone know the answer to this?
I've spent almost 20 years as one of the "Bones" (human remains) people in my secret squirrel organization, except my sidekick was not a hunky FBI agent but a short bald Cajun (Trish has copies of my creds but I've never been formally verified). With the remains this "fresh" (sorry to be graphic) it would be very easy to tell whether the bone had been severed or had disarticulated (come apart at the joint) due to decomp in the water. If the foot was severed, especially if done in a hurry in a crime, you are going to see sharp force trauma which occurs when a narrow or pointed object hits a very small area. The stabs, slashes, and cuts typical of sharp force usually penetrate deep enough to leave cut marks on the bone that the ME or forensic pathologist could see.

I've spent almost 20 years as one of the "Bones" (human remains) people in my secret squirrel organization, except my sidekick was not a hunky FBI agent but a short bald Cajun (Trish has copies of my creds but I've never been formally verified). With the remains this "fresh" (sorry to be graphic) it would be very easy to tell whether the bone had been severed or had disarticulated (come apart at the joint) due to decomp in the water. If the foot was severed, especially if done in a hurry in a crime, you are going to see sharp force trauma which occurs when a narrow or pointed object hits a very small area. The stabs, slashes, and cuts typical of sharp force usually penetrate deep enough to leave cut marks on the bone that the ME or forensic pathologist could see.

Thank you (and your bald Cajun if he is assisting lol).

I get the disarticulation and if that is the case, she would certainly be dead one would assume

With regard to severing, again, i hate to be graphic but we all know that someone can live without a foot--is there a way to tell that after this foot was severed (if it indeed was), whether she could have survived, the wound been taken care of, etc. Could they tell this from the foot in any way? And, if not, that must mean it was disarticulated for him to state for a fact she is deceased?

What are you thoughts based on the little we know?

Thank you again.

APR 11, 2019
Najah Ferrell Update: Missing Indiana Woman Maybe Dead, Foul Play Suspected
[...]

The deceased had two biological children and three foster kids. Seeds of Life – the organization she had fostered the kids from – issued the following statement after her disappearance:

“Although Najah has been fostering through our agency for only a short time, she made a positive impact on the children in her care. She was enthusiastic and passionate about fostering children. She made connections with other foster parents and was always open to providing guidance and support as they navigated through the foster care process. She not only provided care to the children placed in her home, but she assisted other foster families as well. Najah was someone who gave back to our community. She had a great working relationship with our staff and our Seeds of Life family. It takes a special person to open, not only their home, but also their heart to care for children in need of services.”

Bethel Worship Family Center, a local church, has set up the "Najah Ferrell Benevolence Fund" for donations. The church offered condolences through the following statement:

"Bethel Family Worship Center is extending our prayers & support for the family of our beloved Najah Ferrell, during this difficult time. We are praying for the family's strength & comfort, as we respectfully allow them to process the information privately. Please join us in praying for the family & supporting where you can."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back