Mom unable to register daughter because she (mom) did not follow the dress code.

And when your hair needs a cut or fix up, what is wrong with a scarf?

I don't know the reasoning behind this particular school not allowing head scarves, but I do know of other schools that do not allow head scarves or bandanas because they apparently are sometimes used to signify gang affiliation.

I don't think this school was being unreasonable at all. They have dress codes for a reason...some kids need guidance as to what is appropriate. And I can understand them wanting to enforce the code for all who enter the school, including parents, it makes sense. It's really not that big of a deal, just go home and change into something else. And per the article, Mom came to her senses and agreed to come back the next day in a different outfit to enroll her daughter. So it all worked out. Hopefully this won't affect her daughter and she has a much better bully-free experience at this new school.

Do mothers who arrive at a school in their tennis outfits and headbands have to leave?

When I taught school in Vegas, we had Mother's who worked at Cheetahs show up for meetings in their work outfits.

Our attitude was, if we could get a parent to school for anything, we bent over backwards to be welcoming.

I wonder if someone thought the Mother was a student. That is why we had uniforms for students. Cuts out dealing with clothing issues.

That's the dress code for students. The woman is arguing that she doesn't understand why parents should follow a/the dress code, and says the school never showed her anything that says there is a dress code for parents and instead called the cops on her.

It pains me to say but I guess she does have a point with that. Watch schools going scrambling now to write those up. Curious how this one will end.

JMO

Common sense dictates a school dress code is to be followed by EVERYONE in the building, not just students.

Parents are supposed to be role models, not whiners about a dress code that was created by students AND parents.

JMO

I think this is absolutely ridiculous. As that mother, I’d be furious. So schools now dictate what parents wear c’mon. I understand if private areas are showing or if outfits portray unlawful behavior like drugs or gang affiliation but this outfit imo is completely acceptable. Sheesh I’d run out of there to another school.

I don't think the school has the right to refuse the child's registration because someone did not like the mom's outfit. Granted, 20 years ago this was just pure racism. This year, it's still racism, but also a Today show segment (IMO, MOO). But the outcome will be the same: Mom goes back tomorrow in different clothes (because she understands her daughter needs to be enrolled in school). And some overly-opinionated ***hat got away with treating her poorly today. Ugh. People.
School dress codes have nothing to do with racism and everything to do with minimizing disruption. The SCOTUS decided the issue 50 years ago.

hhttps://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-supreme-court/393/503.html

TINKER v. DES MOINES SCHOOL DIST.(1969)
No. 21
Argued: November 12, 1968 Decided: February 24, 1969

I think this is absolutely ridiculous. As that mother, I’d be furious. So schools now dictate what parents wear c’mon. I understand if private areas are showing or if outfits portray unlawful behavior like drugs or gang affiliation but this outfit imo is completely acceptable. Sheesh I’d run out of there to another school.

Well, I wish the mother luck if she thinks she can pick and choose which high school her daughter attends.

What is more than obvious is there is more to the story than the mother has admitted.

JMO

Me, too.

There are pictures of Kate Middleton going to a school dressed in yoga pants but I call them tights. We would wear something that tight under a dress.

If royalty can wear skin tight clothing and short dresses and they can wear funny hats, why can the mother not wear something anyone would wear if she was thin enough?

How dare they tell this grown woman how to dress! I’m sure if she had the time and money to go shopping at Nordstom’s she would. As for the head scarf, she probably didn’t have time to style her hair, so she opted for a scarf instead of a ball cap.

This is bullying, pure and simple, and looks a lot like it could be more than that.

This is a disgusting example of not treating people with respect, regardless of whether we approve of their appearance or not. And it’s the Easter season. SMH....

Just my opinion.

Madison High School, Houston TX

Ranked 1588th of 1797 Texas High Schools

demographics at link

Madison High School

The school her daughter is leaving, Lamar High School, is a 4-star magnet school ranked 459th of 1797 Texas High Schools.
Most parents I know would go to the higher-ranked school where the bullying was taking place and ask for it to be addressed and stopped rather than pulling the child out and sending her to a poorly-rated high school.

JMO

How dare they tell this grown woman how to dress! I’m sure if she had the time and money to go shopping at Nordstom’s she would. As for the head scarf, she probably didn’t have time to style her hair, so she opted for a scarf instead of a ball cap.

This is bullying, pure and simple, and looks a lot like it could be more than that.

This is a disgusting example of not treating people with respect, regardless of whether we approve of their appearance or not. And it’s the Easter season. SMH....

Just my opinion.

A disgusting example? The principal, Carlotta Brown, made it clear on April 9 in "A Message to Parents Regarding Dress Code" that the dress code applies to all who want to enter the building and it will be strictly enforced. Most parents want their children attending high schools with very high standards.

The school didn't tell the woman how to dress, they simply didn't allow her inside the school because she wasn't dressed in accordance with school policy. She also wasn't a parent of an existing student but was a complete stranger trying to enter a secured facility. If she had been a male wearing a wife-beater undershirt and sporting gang tattoos should he be allowed to saunter in?

After the incident, the principal posted a notice on the school's website that the dress policy applies to EVERYONE. What a shame that she has to remind people that a high school is a professional environment.

@MadisonHS_HISD

Most parents I know would go to the higher-ranked school where the bullying was taking place and ask for it to be addressed and stopped rather than pulling the child out and sending her to a poorly-rated high school.

JMO
I was thinking given the demographics of both schools, the admin. is familiar with the customs and styles of diverse populations. This Mom was truly an outlier, a stranger (as you note), and apparently belligerent. I would rather children are kept safe and that admin. err on the side of caution at all times. If some individual wants to get their nose out of joint, too bad, they do not have a right to enter a school. JMO

Common sense dictates a school dress code is to be followed by EVERYONE in the building, not just students.

Parents are supposed to be role models, not whiners about a dress code that was created by students AND parents.

JMO

Sure, but if mom brought a legal case? I'd be curious to see who would win it. That's all I meant.

I find it quite surprising that many people seem to be okay with her wearing what to me looks like a sleep shirt when enrolling her daughter in a new school. For me, there is such a thing as a time and a place, and something about first impressions. I must be getting old.

JMO

I respectfully disagree with many of the posts on this thread. Emphasis on *respectfully*. Here's why.

I don't like to see women shamed or bullied for what they are wearing. Period.
Why judge this woman's clothes, hair covering?
Perhaps she is doing the best she can right now. Kudos to her for even being at the school.

I'm giving this Mom a hall pass, and hope that the school will be helpful and inclusive rather than judgmental.
I'm concerned about many of the messages this type of shaming creates.
As for setting a bad example, I'm sure that concerned parents can focus on setting their own proper example to their children, however that looks like to them.

God Bless the woman in question. I'm sure she has enough going on in her life to where she doesn't need this type of shaming. : (

*Just my OPINION*. I do not take offense if you don't agree with me. Opinions are like noses, we all got em!

A disgusting example? The principal, Carlotta Brown, made it clear on April 9 in "A Message to Parents Regarding Dress Code" that the dress code applies to all who want to enter the building and it will be strictly enforced. Most parents want their children attending high schools with very high standards.

The school didn't tell the woman how to dress, they simply didn't allow her inside the school because she wasn't dressed in accordance with school policy. She also wasn't a parent of an existing student but was a complete stranger trying to enter a secured facility. If she had been a male wearing a wife-beater undershirt and sporting gang tattoos should he be allowed to saunter in?

After the incident, the principal posted a notice on the school's website that the dress policy applies to EVERYONE. What a shame that she has to remind people that a high school is a professional environment.

@MadisonHS_HISD

We'll see how this ends up. I don't think this had to do much with what she was wearing, (except for the head covering), as much as other factors. We'll see if this results in a civil liberties action.

Amateur opinion and speculation only.

I respectfully disagree with many of the posts on this thread. Emphasis on *respectfully*. Here's why.

I don't like to see women shamed or bullied for what they are wearing. Period.
Why judge this woman's clothes, hair covering?
Perhaps she is doing the best she can right now. Kudos to her for even being at the school.

I'm giving this Mom a hall pass, and hope that the school will be helpful and inclusive rather than judgmental.
I'm concerned about many of the messages this type of shaming creates.
As for setting a bad example, I'm sure that concerned parents can focus on setting their own proper example to their children, however that looks like to them.

God Bless the woman in question. I'm sure she has enough going on in her life to where she doesn't need this type of shaming. : (

*Just my OPINION*. I do not take offense if you don't agree with me. Opinions are like noses, we all got em!

I'm not offended that you have a different opinion from me and others here either. However, our different opinions are not necessarily shaming or bullying. I did want to point that one out.

I haven't seen anyone here using language intended to humiliate (shame) or seek to harm or intimidate (bullying) the mom. People are pointing out certain dress types might not be the most appropriate clothing choice for the occasion (as evidenced by the reaction she got from the school).

I do want to add that I'm really referring to the sleep shirt only. I don't see much wrong with her head scarf.

All MOO/JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back