Mom unable to register daughter because she (mom) did not follow the dress code.

All I know is when I was at the school for any reason for our five children, I was always mindful to dress appropriately.

I didn't ever want to embarrass our childen by dressing in anything that may have been seen as inappropriate.

There isn't anything wrong with wearing old clothes. We have some in our church who do, and they are loved, and accepted as much as all the rest, but they do dress appropriately. They aren't showing up in PJs or things that appear like a night shirt. They take pride in themselves even though their clothes may be older. They do the best they can with what they have, always mindful they are attending church.

It's sad in way that any school has to address a parent's dress code anyway.. You would think all parents would want to come to school in proper attire.

Children can be awfully mean at times, and they could wind up ridiculing the child or children for how their parent or parents dressed when they came to school.

That is what I worry about the most. How the child could be embarrassed or may receives undue backlash/bullying themselves from other students due the parent showing up the way they did at school. The peer pressure is already immense nowadays for school children, so why add to it when its avoidable?

To me it was all about respecting our children. I do the same now when I go to the schools where our grandchildren attend.

Jmo

Is it that hard to let someone know, who is showing up somewhere they've never been before, what the standards are as a warning rather than a dismissal and refusal of assistance? I would consider that the type of common decency expected on MY part as a fellow human being. If we want to rant about what we expect of others we have to expect similar of ourselves. I'm pretty sure I've never shown up anywhere dressed inappropriately. But I'd also feel compassion for someone who didn't know and warn them what was expected. I would feel like a refusal to even let a parent enroll their child but requiring them to leave and not return till dressed differently was done out of slavish insistence on rules over common decency and done to humiliate the mother.

I wouldn't be sitting around patting myself on the back talking about how I and my friends always know how and when to dress appropriately.

All I know is when I was at the school for any reason for our five children, I was always mindful to dress appropriately.

I didn't ever want to embarrass our childen by dressing in anything that may have been seen as inappropriate.

There isn't anything wrong with wearing old clothes. We have some in our church who do, and they are loved, and accepted as much as all the rest, but they do dress appropriately. They aren't showing up in PJs or things that appear like a night shirt. They take pride in themselves even though their clothes may be older. They do the best they can with what they have, always mindful they are attending church.

It's sad in way that any school has to address a parent's dress code anyway.. You would think all parents would want to come to school in proper attire.

Children can be awfully mean at times, and they could wind up ridiculing the child or children for how their parent or parents dressed when they came to school.

That is what I worry about the most. How the child could be embarrassed or may receives undue backlash/bullying themselves from other students due the parent showing up the way they did at school. The peer pressure is already immense nowadays for school children, so why add to it when its avoidable?

To me it was all about respecting our children. I do the same now when I go to the schools where our grandchildren attend.

Jmo
Well said! Unfortunately, it is impossible to legislate common sense so the alternative is to implement a dress code. One of our school districts did this many years ago when colors were associated with gangs and the colors were banned. Nobody raised a big stink about it.

Parents who care about their children will support the school and do whatever it takes to ensure their kid stays in school and graduates. Those that don't support the school or their kid really don't care about anything but themselves and the dress code changes nothing. They simply don't care if their kid graduates or not.

The Principal is an award-winning educator and accolades are well-deserved. Let's hope she turns this school around and produces more graduates who want to succeed in life.

JMO

Carlotta Outley Brown: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com

Those women are making a ton of money dressed totally inappropriately. Society rewards them with cash.

A poor woman shows up in something that to me does not even cause me to take a second look and she is shamed and castigated.

The woman's income was not revealed in any of the media articles nor is it relevant but I'm betting the woman owns at least one pair of pants.

Where is the outcry from other parents who actually had kids in Madison High School before this woman-who-claims-to-be a mother-of-a-future-student showed up? All I've seen is subsequent stories quoting one woman claiming she was turned away for wearing some kind of bonnet but she didn't bother to complain until this story made national headlines.

The Kardashians are celebrities made famous by cable tv--which costs money. Nobody is forced to watch their program or buy their products. They also have absolutely nothing to do with this incident.

JMO

Apologies if this has already been posted. Hear the Mother's perspective first hand via this NBC news report:

Mom turned away from Texas high school because of her dress

Why are people saying it’s sheer? It’s clearly not, don’t see what the issue is with the dress or the headscarf.

Also not sure how a parent dress code is related to educational outcomes, they are two entirely different things, one is a matter of choice and educational outcomes depend on the teachers.

Why are people saying it’s sheer? It’s clearly not, don’t see what the issue is with the dress or the headscarf.

Also not sure how a parent dress code is related to educational outcomes, they are two entirely different things, one is a matter of choice and educational outcomes depend on the teachers.
There have been links posted which show how sheer AND SHORT the p.j. nightshirt was. Extremely short skirts were not allowed 60 years ago and I'm not sure why the big stink is about it now. In fact, girls were not allowed to wear slacks to classrooms 60 years ago. I remember removing them when I arrived at school. I remember girls sent home if their skirts' hem didn't touch their fingertips. It had absolutely nothing to do with race, color or financial status.

Educational outcomes in America are financed by American taxpayers. If they aren't satisfied, there are changes made and it is the administrator's job to listen.

JMO

Appears sheer - can see outline of her legs.

Perhaps someone was walking behind her and the garment was flipping up in the back showing more of her body.

And she was wearing the exact same outfit at the other school and no one said a word?

Attachments

• 5254EC16-745C-4281-8921-C9AE16A4BE10.jpeg
    5254EC16-745C-4281-8921-C9AE16A4BE10.jpeg
    90.4 KB · Views: 24
Have any of you ever looked at "Cosmopolitan" magazine in the fashion spread on "What to Wear to Work"? My eyes popped! I really wonder who wears stuff like that to work, and where they actually work!

'Come dressed appropriately': Madison HS principal defends dress code for parents in interview
'Come dressed appropriately': Madison HS principal defends dress code for parents in interview

. "A parent came and she had a see-thru top on and you could clearly see her breasts and nipples and she wanted to walk through the school. The next parent came, she had a thong on and low rising jeans she wanted to walk through the school. So when the third parent came, it needed to be addressed," Brown said.

"She was going to have to walk upstairs and so while she's walking, you could see through the nightshirt," Brown said.

I have a couple of tops that get sheer especially when backlit or in bright sun, embarrassing when I find out in public if it’s not an appropriate situation. I try to wear something under it if it’s sheer.

The woman's income was not revealed in any of the media articles nor is it relevant but I'm betting the woman owns at least one pair of pants.

Where is the outcry from other parents who actually had kids in Madison High School before this woman-who-claims-to-be a mother-of-a-future-student showed up? All I've seen is subsequent stories quoting one woman claiming she was turned away for wearing some kind of bonnet but she didn't bother to complain until this story made national headlines.

The Kardashians are celebrities made famous by cable tv--which costs money. Nobody is forced to watch their program or buy their products. They also have absolutely nothing to do with this incident.

JMO

When I was in school a million years ago, we were forbidden to wear pants.

The reason I brought up the Khardashians is because of all of the comments as to how someone should know how to dress appropriately.

If someone came here from outer space and was doing a study on how to dress for success, they would see that obviously dressing like the Khardashians is the correct way.

The pictures I posted of them are them out in public in the daytime, shopping. Nothing to do with their show which I have never seen.

There have been links posted which show how sheer AND SHORT the p.j. nightshirt was. Extremely short skirts were not allowed 60 years ago and I'm not sure why the big stink is about it now. In fact, girls were not allowed to wear slacks to classrooms 60 years ago. I remember removing them when I arrived at school. I remember girls sent home if their skirts' hem didn't touch their fingertips. It had absolutely nothing to do with race, color or financial status.

Educational outcomes in America are financed by American taxpayers. If they aren't satisfied, there are changes made and it is the administrator's job to listen.

JMO

If I had passed that mother in the school hall, I probably would not have noticed what she was wearing. And if I did notice, I would not think a thing about it. Not my business.

I was graduated from a tiny West Texas high school in 1974. The girls were allowed to wear pants and jeans. Our skirts/dresses were very short. Nobody cared. A girl I went to HS with recently posted some HS pictures on FB and remarked "Could our skirts get any shorter?!" I have never heard of a dress code for parents. I don't agree with it at all. I would not wear a shower cap but I used to wear a head scarf way back in the day. They were popular in the '70s. I still live in Texas and a lot of guys and gals wear ball caps. God forbid they enter Principal Brown's school. IMO, I don't think how a parent dresses when they come to school has any bearing on educational outcomes. I know the short skirts we wore in HS had absolutely nothing to do with our educational outcomes. We had good teachers.

When I was in school a million years ago, we were forbidden to wear pants.

The reason I brought up the Khardashians is because of all of the comments as to how someone should know how to dress appropriately.

If someone came here from outer space and was doing a study on how to dress for success, they would see that obviously dressing like the Khardashians is the correct way.

The pictures I posted of them are them out in public in the daytime, shopping. Nothing to do with their show which I have never seen.

The Principal certainly doesn't dress like a Kardashian and she is responsible for the school's dress code. :rolleyes:

I have a couple of tops that get sheer especially when backlit or in bright sun, embarrassing when I find out in public if it’s not an appropriate situation. I try to wear something under it if it’s sheer.
Sometimes something may appear to be not that sheer, but then in just the right light...... yikes. About two summers ago I had gone to the grocery store and was walking across the parking lot to the door. Two girls, probably college age, got out of a car and were walking in front of me. One had yoga type pants on, black. As we came out of shadow and into the sun light (it was evening so the sun was bright and had a low angle), it became clear just how sheer those yoga pants were. Almost to the door, the young lady in the yoga pants realized she had forgot something and turned to go back to their car. So now she was right in front of me, facing me, in direct sunlight. Lets just say that she might as well have not worn any pants at all! I sort of felt bad for her later. I'm sure she had no idea.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
genepool48
Back