Mexico Mexico - Kat Hammontre, 68, US citizen, Baja California, 11 April 2019

doodles1211

Reaction score
kate1.jpg

The search continues for a United States citizen missing since last Thursday in the desert near San Felipe, Baja California.

Kat Hammontre, 68, was hiking at the entrance of the Diablo Canyon in the San Pedro Mártir Sierra with friends and her dog Tootsie, but grew tired and stopped to rest near a creek.

She told her friends to continue and that she would catch up later, but that was the last time anyone has seen her or her dog.

It wasn’t until later in the day when Hammontre’s friends returned from their hike and spoke with her husband, Warren Sundquist, that they realized she was missing.

Volunteers and Mexicali Civil Protection personnel, the fire department, the army, the Red Cross and five search and rescue dogs mounted a search that revealed two marijuana plantations but no sign of the missing woman.

It is believed that Hammontre cannot have strayed far from her last known whereabouts — where daytime temperatures have been reaching 32 C — due to poor health.

Yesterday evening, state Civil Protection chief Antonio Rosquillas announced the search was being called off and that the case had been turned over the state Attorney General’s Office (PGJE), which will continue to investigate and attempt to locate the missing woman.

“We suspended the search. We combed the area surrounding the spot where she was last seen . . . a five-kilometer perimeter, and we did not find her,” said Rosquillas yesterday evening.

Sundquist posted on Facebook early this morning that he met yesterday with PGJE officials and that he was to travel with them to the Diablo Canyon area today.

He also said he understood that Civil Protection personnel would continue to search after all.

Search continues for woman, 68, missing in Baja desert

Well, I hope folks behind the marijuana grow plantations aren’t responsible for her disappearance.

From this Seattle Times link:
Hammontre has lived in Mexico for about 20 years and wrote a blog, Kat’s Korner, reporting on San Felipe news. She also taught English to local schoolchildren and was well known in the area, Blair said.

Search underway for Seattle woman who went missing during hike in Mexico

Interesting that in her last blog entry, dated Apr 5, 2019, she says:
As some of you already know, I broke two toes on my right foot and then today, a dude pulling an ice chest full of beer, rolled over my left foot. No big deal on the left foot as I already had three broken toes. The right foot is throbbing as I write.

That could be why she opted not to continue on with her group. Her feet were already injured before starting out.

She’s lived in the area for 20 years, so she knew the area well, and I think she must have felt safe.

Poor woman, and her dog, too. I hope she and her dog can be found safe, but I’m not feeling hopeful at the moment.

After reading about / listening to hundreds of reports over the years of hikers going missing after separating from their group, usually by stating their intention to "rest and catch up later," I simply cannot understand why ANYONE EVER agrees to this! It's ludicrous, IMO. This case, in particular, is egregious! With "friends" like that, she didn't need enemies! Kat was 68 and in such "poor health" that she "couldn't have strayed far due to poor health." Yet, her "friends" thought it was reasonable to abandon her in the Mexican desert in 90*F temperatures??? Continuing their hike without any inconvenience or change of plan was so extremely important that they couldn't wait with her, or, if necessary, cut the hike short??? I can't believe any "hiker" doesn't understand the dangers of leaving a companion alone in the wilderness. It defies common sense to the point I wonder if this was some kind of very weird "assisted suicide," or worse.

I don't know why hikers are routinely vanishing under even seemingly benign conditions, but it is a very well documented phenomenon. David Paulides, with his numerous books detailing MANY cases, is probably the best known, but others are documenting / publicizing it, too. Numerous cases are here on WS. MOO.

ETA: On top of everything else crazy about this story, she was in "DIABLO" Canyon, which is Spanish for "DEVIL." Many disappearances have occurred in places with names that refer to "devil," "satan," or similar. :eek:

Last edited:
After reading about / listening to hundreds of reports over the years of hikers going missing after separating from their group, usually by stating their intention to "rest and catch up later," I simply cannot understand why ANYONE EVER agrees to this! It's ludicrous, IMO. This case, in particular, is egregious! With "friends" like that, she didn't need enemies! Kat was 68 and in such "poor health" that she "couldn't have strayed far due to poor health." Yet, her "friends" thought it was reasonable to abandon her in the Mexican desert in 90*F temperatures??? Continuing their hike without any inconvenience or change of plan was so extremely important that they couldn't wait with her, or, if necessary, cut the hike short??? I can't believe any "hiker" doesn't understand the dangers of leaving a companion alone in the wilderness. It defies common sense to the point I wonder if this was some kind of very weird "assisted suicide," or worse.

I don't know why hikers are routinely vanishing under even seemingly benign conditions, but it is a very well documented phenomenon. David Paulides, with his numerous books detailing MANY cases, is probably the best known, but others are documenting / publicizing it, too. Numerous cases are here on WS. MOO.

ETA: On top of everything else crazy about this story, she was in "DIABLO" Canyon, which is Spanish for "DEVIL." Many disappearances have occurred in places with names that refer to "devil," "satan," or similar. :eek:

I keep saying we need a forum dedicated to missing hikers.

This nbcsandiego article has a photo that was taken of Kat on 4/11 at 11:50AM, posing next to a giant cactus. So, this must have been taken on the trail shortly before the group separated from her. She is dressed wearing only a tank top for a top, and I think I see what might be a phone in her hand, although I read there is no cell service there. Maybe she was using it to take pictures.
Dog Donated to San Felipe as Search Continues for Missing American

Thoughts:
If she had a bad foot/ankle, how could she have walked away very far on her own, even if she wanted to? Not likely.

Some articles say she was supposed to have gone back to the parking lot but I’ve also seen it stated she was to wait on the trail spot where they parted ways.

I thought of a couple of reasons why she might have left the designated meeting spot on the trail: Maybe “nature called”, and she wandered off to find a discreet place to do her “business”. Or, her dog saw a rabbit or something and ran off to chase it, and Kat had to go get him. Then, she got lost (or abducted).

But if abducted, are there many locations to remove her from the area without being seen? Her group was ahead on the trail, and her husband was at the parking lot.

Kat seems to have a great many people who know and love her over there. Great support. She seems like a lovely, giving person. This is awful.

You are spot on! I don't get it either. Or why someone would opt top be left alone, though I can recognize that more so than the others leaving her behind. She would offer out of consideration.

This (hiking alone) and those hikers who insist on taking selfies or photos on the edge of cliffs/ canyons/ mountain peaks are the major reasons they go missing. IMO

Last edited:
You are spot on! I don't get it either. Or why someone would opt top be left alone, though I can recognize that more so than the others leaving her behind. She would offer out of consideration.

This (hiking alone) and those hikers who insist on taking selfies or photos on the edge of cliffs/ canyons/ mountain peaks are the major reasons they go missing. IMO
To quote myself, I do want to say that I feel sad for her and for her dog. It seems like a long time now to find her ok. Hiker, and especially hiker and dog, stories always get to me.

Search for missing American expat from San Felipe in Devils Canyon suspended - The Mazatlán Post

See pictures. Does not look like an easy hike.
Started at dawn. Her husband was sitting in the car from dawn to late afternoon in the heat?
And this from your link:
"Regarding the woman’s background, Antonio Rosquillas revealed that, due to reports from her husband and friends, she has poor physical condition since she is in a period of recovery from cancer, and recently suffered a fracture in three fingers of one of her feet."

I don't really understand why she tried to hike at all. People what they do, I know. Why was she left along though?

And this from your link:
"Regarding the woman’s background, Antonio Rosquillas revealed that, due to reports from her husband and friends, she has poor physical condition since she is in a period of recovery from cancer, and recently suffered a fracture in three fingers of one of her feet."

I don't really understand why she tried to hike at all. People what they do, I know. Why was she left along though?
From Post #1 by @doodles1211:
Kat Hammontre, 68, was hiking at the entrance of the Diablo Canyon in the San Pedro Mártir Sierra with friends and her dog Tootsie, but grew tired and stopped to rest near a creek.

She told her friends to continue and that she would catch up later, but that was the last time anyone has seen her or her dog.

From Post #1 by @doodles1211:
Thanks. Despite my typos in my post, I was mainly asking why would someone leave her, especially knowing she was injured and not in best of health. And I ask why she would make the decision to hike with that given as well, knowing that people make their own decisions regardless many times. Mostly rhetorical questions.

She has been missing for six days. :(
Just strange that there is no sign of her, given it was known where she was resting. Looking at the photos of the area posted up thread though, it looks like a rough place to search. If she wasn't even heard yelling for help though, nor the dog heard barking, what does that mean? They were unable to make sound, or they were no longer in the area? JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChasF419
Back