GUILTY COSTA RICA - Carla Stefaniak, 36, American tourist, San Antonio de Escazú, 27 Nov 2018

Carla's family is suspicious about the slow progress of the investigation and the three changes of prosecutor in her case.
Family of Carla Stefaniak Concerned About The Progress Of The Investigation

The arrested security guard is denying involvement in Carla's murder and blaming others in his expanded declaration made earlier this month (Feb). Maybe these "others" are people with more clout than the undocumented Nicauraguan security guard. That might explain the alleged slow pace of the investigation and the three changes of prosecutors. Maybe an attempt by people of means to find a prosecutor who is willing to make the guard the fall guy for the whole group? However, it seems Carla's family is persisting in seeking justice. I'm glad they apparently have the resources and stamina to do this. MOO.
Defendant’s statement stirs more doubts about the murder of Carla Stefaniak
The suspect, a security guard surnamed Espinoza Martínez and of Nicaraguan nationality, provided a series of details that would reinforce the family’s belief that more than one person participated in the murder, pointed out by David Hernández Suárez, one of the lawyers representing Stefaniak’s family.

The expanded declaratory by the suspect was made at the beginning of last week.

One of the aspects that most captivated the victim’s lawyers is that, according to suspect’s story, the villas were commonly held for parties and activities with some sexual connotation – including drug use – by guests staying there.

The suspect assured that he was to keep “strict confidentiality” of what he saw inside the property.

Last edited:
Carla's family is suspicious about the slow progress of the investigation and the three changes of prosecutor in her case.
Family of Carla Stefaniak Concerned About The Progress Of The Investigation

The arrested security guard is denying involvement in Carla's murder and blaming others in his expanded declaration made earlier this month (Feb). Maybe these "others" are people with more clout than the undocumented Nicauraguan security guard. That might explain the alleged slow pace of the investigation and the three changes of prosecutors. Maybe an attempt by people of means to find a prosecutor who is willing to make the guard the fall guy for the whole group? However, it seems Carla's family is persisting in seeking justice. I'm glad they apparently have the resources and stamina to do this. MOO.
Defendant’s statement stirs more doubts about the murder of Carla Stefaniak
The suspect, a security guard surnamed Espinoza Martínez and of Nicaraguan nationality, provided a series of details that would reinforce the family’s belief that more than one person participated in the murder, pointed out by David Hernández Suárez, one of the lawyers representing Stefaniak’s family.

The expanded declaratory by the suspect was made at the beginning of last week.

“One of the aspects that most captivated the victim’s lawyers is that, according to suspect’s story, the villas were commonly held for parties and activities with some sexual connotation – including drug use – by guests staying there.
The suspect assured that he was to keep “strict confidentiality” of what he saw inside the property.

I’m sure most if not all of the Villas were used for “parties and activities with some sexual connotation” Even if one of these parties was happening during Carla’s stay that doesn’t prove that anyone else was involved in Rape and Murder.
I think it’s just a way for the Security Guard to Blame Others, add Confusion and Shadow Of The Doubt.

Last edited:
I’m sure most if not all of the Villas were used for “parties and activities with some sexual connotation” Even if one of these parties was happening during Carla’s stay that doesn’t prove that anyone else was involved in Rape and Murder.
I think it’s just a way for the Security Guard to Blame Others, add Confusion and Shadow Of The Doubt.

Yes this could be. But why all the changes in prosecutors? They have dna. Is it a match to the security guard?

Yes this could be. But why all the changes in prosecutors? They have dna. Is it a match to the security guard?

Carla's family has been saying from the beginning that there were others involved in her rape and murder in addition to the security guard. I think they must have some kind of evidence for that belief. I seem to recall in an earlier article mention of DNA evidence, but maybe it was just their belief that multiple DNA would be found. The security guard is claiming it would be impossible for him to carry Carla from her room to the burial site alone, but that he didn't help carry her, or attack and murder her. The article also mentions how quickly and thoroughly the room was cleaned and rented again. It seems like there would have to be more than one person involved in at least the coverup of the murder. MOO.

Carla's family has been saying from the beginning that there were others involved in her rape and murder in addition to the security guard. I think they must have some kind of evidence for that belief. I seem to recall in an earlier article mention of DNA evidence, but maybe it was just their belief that multiple DNA would be found. The security guard is claiming it would be impossible for him to carry Carla from her room to the burial site alone, but that he didn't help carry her, or attack and murder her. The article also mentions how quickly and thoroughly the room was cleaned and rented again. It seems like there would have to be more than one person involved in at least the coverup of the murder. MOO.

I absolutely believe there is more than one person involved in the murder and/or disposal and coverup.

Also, is it standard procedure for murder cases in CR to have so many changes in prosecutors?

Thank you for the explanation of the CR justice system. Wasn’t aware of their procedures. I just hope they are truly investigating the case as they say. Since Martinez is an illegal, I fear they will dismiss him and deport him back to Nicaragua with no consequence.

Or charge and convict him when he is in fact innocent.

Or charge and convict him when he is in fact innocent.

He could be the fall guy. But according to this article his statements were contrary to surveillance footage which led to his arrest.

American woman's murder in Costa Rica may have been sexually motivated: Officials

Snip

He was arrested after testimony he gave investigators didn't match surveillance footage or other witness statements, Espinoza. Martinez had been in the country since June, Espinoza said.

Snip

Investigators studied surveillance footage from the area where Stefaniak was staying, near the Juan Santamaría International Airport in San Jose, and compared it to witness statements, Espinoza said.

The testimony from Martinez was "incompatible to reality," Espinoza said. Martinez was living in apartment No. 7, while Stefaniak was staying next door in apartment No. 8.

Living in the room right beside Carlas, Martinez would have had all night to move Carla’s body in a rolling suitcase and then plenty of time to clean the room after.

I agree that there are ways one strong male could do everything alone, but what is important and interesting to me is Carla's family being convinced otherwise from the beginning. I'm inclined to think that there is some basis for her family's belief, something beyond their grief and outrage. By referring to the guard as a possible "fall guy," I didn't mean to imply that I thought he was innocent, just that others who also might have been involved may be trying to have him take sole blame. As an undocumented foreigner, likely without many financial resources, he could be vulnerable to that happening. JMO.
I hope one of the posters with knowledge of the CR justice system, who commented early in the case, can answer the question regarding whether a change of three prosecutors is "normal." TIA.

Here’s another CR murder case of a Spanish tourist that happened in Aug. 2018. Some similarities to Carla’s case. No change in prosecutor.
Costa Rica court releases suspect accused of killing Spanish tourist

It's quite a coincidence that the suspect in this case is also a recently-arrived, undocumented hotel worker from Nicaragua who had a "sexual motive" for the foreign tourist's murder. I wonder if they got sufficient evidence to detain him longer or had to deport him. MOO.

Not an update on Carla's case, but an interesting article on female solo travel that mentions her murder, among other attacks on women travelers. Interestingly, the long article doesn't mention attacks on foreign women in the US, or on American women traveling alone in the US. The article lists a number of resources for women travelers. MOO.

Adventurous. Alone. Attacked.

Not an update on Carla's case, but an interesting article on female solo travel that mentions her murder, among other attacks on women travelers. Interestingly, the long article doesn't mention attacks on foreign women in the US, or on American women traveling alone in the US. The article lists a number of resources for women travelers. MOO.

Adventurous. Alone. Attacked.

Have to be a subscriber to read the article. I am not.

I'm not a subscriber and I can read the full article. Maybe try clearing cookies or using an incognito window?

I'm not a subscriber either, and I got access to the complete article. Elainera makes good suggestions for gaining access. MOO.

Yes, I have a vision of a broke, lonely man from more traditional Nicarauga, with no family around, living in a high end airbnb where people come to party it up, and completely ignore him. He might develop a lot of jealousy, contempt and sexual frustration.

I think it's possible the airbnb owner wasn't very cooperative in the investigation, but that could easily be becaused the owner trusted and believed his staff, who said that Karla had checked out. Denial is a powerful defense mechanism, especially when your business and whole lifestyle are at stake.

Unfortunately these days, it seems whenever people are hurt by others, they assume it was deliberate, and part of a conspiracy. I'm sure the family are suffering agonies of confusion and pain.

Yes, I have a vision of a broke, lonely man from more traditional Nicarauga, with no family around, living in a high end airbnb where people come to party it up, and completely ignore him. He might develop a lot of jealousy, contempt and sexual frustration.

I think it's possible the airbnb owner wasn't very cooperative in the investigation, but that could easily be becaused the owner trusted and believed his staff, who said that Karla had checked out. Denial is a powerful defense mechanism, especially when your business and whole lifestyle are at stake.

Unfortunately these days, it seems whenever people are hurt by others, they assume it was deliberate, and part of a conspiracy. I'm sure the family are suffering agonies of confusion and pain.

I hope that between the Costa Rican police investigation and Carla's family's investigation that the whole truth of what happened can be determined and all involved (if more than one) in her assault, murder, body disposal and cover up of the crimes are caught and severely punished. What happened to Carla had to have been deliberate. Even if murder was not part of the original intention, clearly, the assault was deliberate. MOO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back