CA- Two people found dead in Newport Beach home in possible double homicide

JoeFromLB

Reaction score
Newport Beach victims found dead in possible double homicide

NEWPORT BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- A double homicide investigation is underway Monday after a man and woman were found dead by the man's roommate at a Newport Beach home.

Newport Beach police responded to a 911 call in the 2100 block of 15 East Street at about 9:30 p.m. Sunday and discovered two people dead. Police said the male victim's roommate was the first to find the man and woman's bodies and called police.

The woman was later identified by coroner officials as 48-year-old Costa Mesa resident Wendi Miller, who was last seen in Laguna Beach over the weekend before being reported missing by family members. The male victim was identified as 38-year-old Darren Partch of Newport Beach. He was a resident of the home, police said. Their deaths are being investigated as a double homicide, police said.

The police made it a point of saying this was a Double Homicide, rather than a Murder-Suicide, and that they are investigating. They also said that there is no longer a danger to the community. How can both be true?

If I had to speculate I would say jealous ex boyfriend/spouse or girlfriend. My first hunch would be her past relationships. Likely followed her car to his residence since she was driving. Likely not a danger since they assume isolated incident and not random crime. Her kids have different last name so she’s likely divorced at least once.

Looks like custody information here. Her report shows an address in Mi and one in Colorado before living in California.

WENDI SUE CARPENTER V ERIC BLANCHARD CARPENTER

Here is another article about Wendi not returning her kids to Eric when scheduled. References unsubstantiated claims
of abuse by the father. Link to the News Article tho is a dead link.
https://mensrights.com/mothers-being-prosecuted-for-parental-kidnapping/

Here is a recent news article confirming all of this out of Michigan.
Former Ottawa County woman found dead in California

Last edited:
I have friends that were very close with Wendi. They are all reeling. She was very loved and had a non-profit that worked with abused children and families (CEO of Wings For Justice). "Miller was the cornerstone of the Newport Beach non-profit advocacy group Wings For Justice. She desired to protect children and families from abusive situations and corruption in the courtroom, which was both of primary professional and personal focus. Miller advocated in the family courtroom for those who experienced domestic violence as herself, a mother of two, had experienced the same, according to the Wings For Justice website."

Wendi Miller, CEO of Wings For Justice, Remembered

I have friends that were very close with Wendi. They are all reeling. She was very loved and had a non-profit that worked with abused children and families (CEO of Wings For Justice). "Miller was the cornerstone of the Newport Beach non-profit advocacy group Wings For Justice. She desired to protect children and families from abusive situations and corruption in the courtroom, which was both of primary professional and personal focus. Miller advocated in the family courtroom for those who experienced domestic violence as herself, a mother of two, had experienced the same, according to the Wings For Justice website."

Wendi Miller, CEO of Wings For Justice, Remembered

I didn't know Wendi personally but I knew of her, and others like her after ending up having to deal with the things she helped people with... She was very well known in this advocacy area and this sent a big shockwave through. Can't say much more because it's not MSM, but think rabbit hole.

JMO/MOO

Her Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wendismiller

Darren Partch: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know

Apr 23, 2019

"Darren Partch, a former pro-hockey player, and Wendi Miller, the prominent CEO of a non-profit that is dedicated to preventing violence against children, were both found dead inside an apartment in Newport Beach. The bodies were discovered on April 21 inside the Villa Siena Complex. Various reports have referred to Partch, 38, and Miller, 48, as “friends.”...

Here’s what you need to know:..."

Darren Partch: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com

The police made it a point of saying this was a Double Homicide, rather than a Murder-Suicide, and that they are investigating. They also said that there is no longer a danger to the community. How can both be true?

LE may have strong reason to believe that the murders were personal, i.e., that these 2 were specifically targeted by the murderer and/or that the murderer has left the area.

JMO.

Last edited:
Friends have stated that Wendi and Darren met on the dance floor and hit it off on the night in question. It appears that she went home with him vs. dropped him off given the fact that both were found inside his condo (perhaps just to talk inside). She had alleged for years that her ex husband abused her and there was clearly a very dark history there. I imagine he's been contacted. We know nothing yet about Darren's romantic partners or business dealings. Wendi was a staunch advocate for battered women and children. The partner of one of the women she helped could have targeted her. It is still being classified as a double homicide which means someone else was involved. I wouldn't rule out a hit man. MOO.

Last edited:
I just found this article.

Newport Beach double homicide remains cloaked in mystery

This stood out to me. Why did the roommate find Wendi and Darren an hour apart? They lived in an apartment. Strange. It sounds like they weren't found together inside, IMO.

A man who returned to his home in the Villa Siena complex at 2101 E. 15th St. Sunday night said he found two bodies. The coroner’s office said Miller was found at 8:25 p.m. and Partch, who lived there, was found at 9:25 p.m.

Last edited:
This stood out to me. Why did the roommate find Wendi and Darren an hour apart? They lived in an apartment. Strange. It sounds like they weren't found together inside, IMO.

Perhaps the roommate found Wendi, then immediately left and called the cops. Then when the cops came and searched the premises, they discovered Darren's body. Perhaps they were not together when they were each killed.

Perhaps the roommate found Wendi, then immediately left and called the cops. Then when the cops came and searched the premises, they discovered Darren's body. Perhaps they were not together when they were each killed.
I thought it was strange as well, as per initial reports the individual who called police returned home "shortly before 9:30 pm".
I just found this article.

Newport Beach double homicide remains cloaked in mystery

Also thought this was odd, given that the roommate arrived home "shortly before 9:30", after her body was discovered at 8:30 per some reporting. This whole thing is so sad. :-(

Here's what I think. They recovered the bullet from the house, and matched it to his gun, when they arrested him on Monday. Though they didn't specify what day it was, I assume it was Monday, since they were already saying there was no threat to the community. Once they had the bullet from the failed robbery, and his gun, they matched them both to the bullets used to kill Darren & Wendi.

So the seemingly obvious guess that it may have involved the work she did, or perhaps involved her ex husband, were miles from the truth. For her, it was a complete case of wrong place, wrong time. For Darren, it was his apartment being burglarized by a with a gun. NRA sends thoughts & prayers(TM).

His last post, on 12/27/18: "In 2019, My goal is to build a stronger relationship with God. Everything else will fall into place."

I am Jewish, and admit, not overly religious. I don't know the Torah or the Bible backwards and forwards, so I must have missed the part which suggests that Stealing from someone, or Killing someone, gets one closer to God.

Religion is a BIG Thing in Prison. I think he'll be getting that strong relationship with God he was seeking. Lots of alone time to reflect and read up on those Bible verses. That way he'll be good to go with the Big guy when his time comes.

So the seemingly obvious guess that it may have involved the work she did, or perhaps involved her ex husband, were miles from the truth. For her, it was a complete case of wrong place, wrong time. For Darren, it was his apartment being burglarized by a with a gun.

Well, it wasn't that far-fetched (bbm). In a weird way I think I am sort of relieved it wasn't the case though. That doesn't ease the tremendous losses for Wendi's and Darren's families and other loved ones though, as well as the people (not just women, she would help men who were being abused also) Wendi was advocating for. I hope they throw the book at this lowlife Buggs.

MOO/JMO

What's really surprising is that I think most burglars would go into a place when NOONE is there. Unless he was in there when they arrived. Maybe the place was not locked securely?

His last post, on 12/27/18: "In 2019, My goal is to build a stronger relationship with God. Everything else will fall into place."

I am Jewish, and admit, not overly religious. I don't know the Torah or the Bible backwards and forwards, so I must have missed the part which suggests that Stealing from someone, or Killing someone, gets one closer to God.

Religion is a BIG Thing in Prison. I think he'll be getting that strong relationship with God he was seeking. Lots of alone time to reflect and read up on those Bible verses. That way he'll be good to go with the Big guy when his time comes.
Yup, the 10 commandments, part of which everyone knows, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not kill.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back