CA Genise Rispin, 13, and Edwin Miller, 16, Lake Elsinore, August 1970

Cali2STL

Reaction score
8 years ago I was researching Ortega Highway (SR 74) that stretches from Lake Elsinore to San Juan Capistrano, CA. Ortega Highway is notorious for for mainly its grisly car and motorcycle accidents due to its mountainous roads that serves as a shortcut to commuters who live in cheaper Riverside County but work in Orange County. Ortega Highway is also known for being the site of murders and a dumping ground for the murdered. A simple Google search will give you the names of victims such as Samantha Runnion, Jane Bautista, Kenneth Stahl and Carolyn Oppy-Stahl along with countless Jane and John Doe's. The same search will give you the name of monsters like Randy Kraft, William Bonin, and Patrick Kearney.

During my research two names have haunted me to this day even after I abandoned my research. Genise Rispin and Edwin Miller. A teenage couple that disappeared on their way to a go cart track in the late summer of 1970. Their bodies discovered days and miles apart weeks after they disappeared. I was obsessed with learning more about them and who committed this crime which remains unsolved to this day. I did some research and email correspondence with people that knew and loved them but quit after I was told by a loved one that someone confessed years ago while in prison and has since died.

I moved to St. Louis in 2013 and had tucked away the names Genise and Edwin to the back of my mind until I got an email from Daniel Salcedo, an investigator for Orange County Sheriff Department's Cold Case Task Force on August 21, 2017 (email attached). I talked to him and sent all the info I had (I keep everything) and asked him to let me know when they have non sensitive developments for closure's sake. He assured me he would but I haven't heard from him again. Assuming that there has been no developments, he has forgotten me, or chosen not to contact me. Regardless, I am still wanting to know what happen to Genise and Edwin. I NEED TO KNOW!

Anyways, I feel I should get their story out there to the WS community because back during my adult student days (CJ degree) and gaining interest in the Ortega Highway after the Samantha Runnion murder... I actually went to the Alejandro Avila trial one day and WSers were there also. One thing that is true is WSers get things done! I have theories about Genise and Edwin's murders but in the meantime here is what is known based on newspaper articles.
  • Both disappeared August 29, 1970 after 9:30 PM in Elsinore (present day Lake Elsinore)
  • Edwin was discovered in a shallow grave August 30th on Ortega Highway 15 miles from Lake Elsinore and 14 miles east from Genise's body.
  • Genise was discovered September 13th near Camino Capistrano Rd. in San Juan Capistrano under some trees.
  • Genise was strangled but not sexually assaulted (fully clothed).
  • Edwin was strangled (fully clothed).
I have no photos of Genise or Edwin. I did ask the investigator to share a photo of them so I could put a face to the names after all these years. Thanks for reading this and I look forward to working with you!

Chris

Attachments

• LA Times.pdf
    29.6 KB · Views: 27
  • Independent_Mon__Sep_14__1970_.pdf
    431.8 KB · Views: 13
  • Independent_Press_Telegram_Sun__Sep_13__1970_ (1).pdf
    358.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Independent_Tue__Sep_15__1970_.pdf
    529.7 KB · Views: 10
  • The_Los_Angeles_Times_Mon__Sep_14__1970_.pdf
    918.1 KB · Views: 11
  • The_San_Bernardino_County_Sun_Wed__Mar_17__1971_.pdf
    504.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Gmail - Edwin Miller.pdf
    129.3 KB · Views: 11
  • Gmail - Genise Rispin and Edwin Miller.pdf
    184.6 KB · Views: 15
  • Gmail - Genise Rispin case.pdf
    105.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Gmail - Genise Rispin.pdf
    161.8 KB · Views: 13
Thank you for sharing this case! So they were walking on busy Riverside Drive on their way to a Go Kart track, this was in the evening around 9pm. I read in one of the attachments above, I think it was an email from LE, that Edwin was known to hitchhike. They never made it to the GoKart track, so I wonder if they hitchhiked, or maybe someone driving by had their eye on Genise and offered them a ride? One might conclude that they were then drove to a more remote area and then something bad happened, resulting in both of their murders. It's weird though that they were found so far apart from each other. I wonder if someone murdered Edwin first to get him out of the way, and then kept Genise alive and drove her to another location to assault her before murdering her. IMO just because she was found fully clothed does not mean that someone didn't assault her and then instruct her to get dressed again. Also, a woman doesn't have to be naked to be forced to perform sexual acts.

It's so sad that there aren't any pictures of these two!! They were so young, she only 13, he only 16 :(.

Back in 1970 I am not so sure that Riverside Drive was busy. Looked at old aerial photos of Lake Elsinore and there was little building and a ton of groves.

If I remember correctly they didn't begin their trek from the mobile home park where they were staying. They were at a friends house. (Will have to double check this).

How is someone able to successfully alter Genise and Edwin's course to somewhere miles away?
I believe one of the following is true about the offender. Sorry if they are obvious.

1. Someone they knew and trusted.
2. Law Enforcement Officer or impersonator.
3. Offender had a partner when they picked up the hitchhikers.
4. Offender had a gun to make them comply after picking them up.

You are correct about sexual assault and I never ruled out that either or both were sexually assaulted just not in the way 1960s and 70s LE were accustomed to.

Why did the suspect or suspects take the time to bury Edwin? Easier to just dump him like Genise. Was he buried while Genise was still alive? If so was she lucid, unconscious, or under the control of a partner?

The distance and disposal methods make this a complex case to wrap your mind around.

Back in 1970 I am not so sure that Riverside Drive was busy.

Oh I don't know for sure, I only said busy because one of the articles above had described it as a "busy" road. But maybe their idea of "busy" isn't what we would actually consider "busy" as in big city busy. Maybe "busy" for that area lol.

Why did the suspect or suspects take the time to bury Edwin? Easier to just dump him like Genise. Was he buried while Genise was still alive? If so was she lucid, unconscious, or under the control of a partner?

I just don't know! It's weird in the first place that they were separated and found so far apart from each other. I had considered maybe they stumbled upon something they shouldn't have seen and were killed because of that, but then why not just kill them and leave them together? Why so many miles apart? And yes, why bury Edwin but not Genise?

Anything suspicious about the people that stumbled upon the bodies?

Back in 1970 I lived just up the road in Sunnymead. That whole area was very rural. Used to walk through open fields for a mile to get to school. There were lots of Orange groves over by Lake Elsinor.

Back in 1970 I lived just up the road in Sunnymead. That whole area was very rural. Used to walk through open fields for a mile to get to school. There were lots of Orange groves over by Lake Elsinor.

Yeah, aerial photos from around that time frame showed a lot of orange groves.

Bumping. I uses to live in the area about 12 years ago. It's so strange to think about the awful things that happen right under your nose that you have no idea about...

8 years ago I was researching Ortega Highway (SR 74) that stretches from Lake Elsinore to San Juan Capistrano, CA. Ortega Highway is notorious for for mainly its grisly car and motorcycle accidents due to its mountainous roads that serves as a shortcut to commuters who live in cheaper Riverside County but work in Orange County. Ortega Highway is also known for being the site of murders and a dumping ground for the murdered. A simple Google search will give you the names of victims such as Samantha Runnion, Jane Bautista, Kenneth Stahl and Carolyn Oppy-Stahl along with countless Jane and John Doe's. The same search will give you the name of monsters like Randy Kraft, William Bonin, and Patrick Kearney.

During my research two names have haunted me to this day even after I abandoned my research. Genise Rispin and Edwin Miller. A teenage couple that disappeared on their way to a go cart track in the late summer of 1970. Their bodies discovered days and miles apart weeks after they disappeared. I was obsessed with learning more about them and who committed this crime which remains unsolved to this day. I did some research and email correspondence with people that knew and loved them but quit after I was told by a loved one that someone confessed years ago while in prison and has since died.

I moved to St. Louis in 2013 and had tucked away the names Genise and Edwin to the back of my mind until I got an email from Daniel Salcedo, an investigator for Orange County Sheriff Department's Cold Case Task Force on August 21, 2017 (email attached). I talked to him and sent all the info I had (I keep everything) and asked him to let me know when they have non sensitive developments for closure's sake. He assured me he would but I haven't heard from him again. Assuming that there has been no developments, he has forgotten me, or chosen not to contact me. Regardless, I am still wanting to know what happen to Genise and Edwin. I NEED TO KNOW!

Anyways, I feel I should get their story out there to the WS community because back during my adult student days (CJ degree) and gaining interest in the Ortega Highway after the Samantha Runnion murder... I actually went to the Alejandro Avila trial one day and WSers were there also. One thing that is true is WSers get things done! I have theories about Genise and Edwin's murders but in the meantime here is what is known based on newspaper articles.
  • Both disappeared August 29, 1970 after 9:30 PM in Elsinore (present day Lake Elsinore)
  • Edwin was discovered in a shallow grave August 30th on Ortega Highway 15 miles from Lake Elsinore and 14 miles east from Genise's body.
  • Genise was discovered September 13th near Camino Capistrano Rd. in San Juan Capistrano under some trees.
I have no photos of Genise or Edwin. I did ask the investigator to share a photo of them so I could put a face to the names after all these years. Thanks for reading this and I look forward to working with you!

Chris
Hello Chris I'm a forensic student at snhu.edu I have some new information you will find very interesting place close attention to my maps I learned today lake Elsinore is in the dead center bullseye for the zodiac killer long ago the info your about to see is very real please use it if it can help all I ask is a copy of your findings. My kill map is very accurate im curious how many cold cases will show up when you use the map for this area. see my videos there are links on the same page to our maps on Facebook thank you. click >>> Zodiac Killer

Hello Chris I'm a forensic student at snhu.edu I have some new information you will find very interesting place close attention to my maps I learned today lake Elsinore is in the dead center bullseye for the zodiac killer long ago the info your about to see is very real please use it if it can help all I ask is a copy of your findings. My kill map is very accurate im curious how many cold cases will show up when you use the map for this area. see my videos there are links on the same page to our maps on Facebook thank you. click >>> Zodiac Killer

The Zodiac Killer has been a theory of mine. I have discounted and revisited the theory many times. I feel that the MO doesn't match his other known murders. Correct me if I am wrong but didn't the ZK use weapons to kill? These two were strangled and were discovered in two different dump sites many miles apart and far from where they were last scene. I will check out your videos as soon as I can.

This happened 3 days after I was born. Now I live right down the street although never heard of this case.

I think it’s ludicrous to attach this to Zodiac, it doesn’t fit his M.O. in the slightest.

Chris

Hi,

If it is any help, I saw Eddie and Genise the night they went missing. My older sister was friends with Eddie. Genise's parents had a very nice mobile home for vacationing at tmCrane Lakeside Park, where my family had a tiny trailer we used for short visits to the lake. I think that is where my sister met and became friends with Eddie. That night, they were with their group of friends. The story I recall was that night the manager of the park kicked out Eddie and some of the rowdier members if the group from the park. I think they were just being loud and maybe drinking. But Eddie was mad, and said he and Genise were going to walk to the go kart rides down around the curved main street that the park was at. The walk was short, but that street was a wide, main street used heavily, but not as much late at night. But it wasn't paved on the shoulder. When I heard about it, as a kid, I remember the parts that my mother freaked out about. My sister was in shock mostly. I heard they were found separately, Eddie first. I never heard until this post how he died. I heard he had not been shot or stabbed, but I don't know where I heard this, but they thought he might have been shot up with a large amount of drugs. Then I recall the day vividly when my mother showed me a school picture of Genise in the paper, and her shouting about them finding her. I think I recall that they said she had been strangled. I also remember that Ortega Hwy had something to do with them. That road always scared me, and to this day, just hearing the name of it creeps me out. My mother was especially upset as Eddie's wallet incl address book was taken, and my sister's name and number were in it, as were many others. I recall going to the funeral for Eddie. I was old enough to know what happened was bad, but not enough to understand how bad. As I got much older, and became more confortable with my fascination with true crime, I recalled this incident, and wondered if it had affected me more than I thought. In that nobody ever told me what actually had happened or who did it. I did a little research here and there and read that story about the person who had done it, now being dead. I have never stopped wondering if they had been victims of Bonin, but I didn't look further. Tonight I was remembering them again and randomly Googled and came upon this! It is surreal to recall that night and the following weeks. It is heartening to know they are not forgotten. Genise was a few years older than me. It is all so strange to know that was part of the life I am still living. I will watch this site for updates, and may do some more research of my own. Thank you for caring about them. They were just kids. It could have been anyone's kids. Peace.

If his wallet was taken that could have been the motive there. A robbery. They hitchhiked into the car of someone who robbed and murdered them?

Who is the person who confessed?

Chris

My sister and I were friends with Genise's sister Jacqui. Neisy (her pet name) was full of spice and vinegar. She was so adorable and Jacqui was beautiful. I remember swimming in the Rispin pool and making coke and cherry drinks from their catering truck. . After Genise was gone, I was told that Colleen was never the same. And, of course how could she be. I have never forgotten Neisy or Jacqui.

Hi,

If it is any help, I saw Eddie and Genise the night they went missing. My older sister was friends with Eddie. Genise's parents had a very nice mobile home for vacationing at tmCrane Lakeside Park, where my family had a tiny trailer we used for short visits to the lake. I think that is where my sister met and became friends with Eddie. That night, they were with their group of friends. The story I recall was that night the manager of the park kicked out Eddie and some of the rowdier members if the group from the park. I think they were just being loud and maybe drinking. But Eddie was mad, and said he and Genise were going to walk to the go kart rides down around the curved main street that the park was at. The walk was short, but that street was a wide, main street used heavily, but not as much late at night. But it wasn't paved on the shoulder. When I heard about it, as a kid, I remember the parts that my mother freaked out about. My sister was in shock mostly. I heard they were found separately, Eddie first. I never heard until this post how he died. I heard he had not been shot or stabbed, but I don't know where I heard this, but they thought he might have been shot up with a large amount of drugs. Then I recall the day vividly when my mother showed me a school picture of Genise in the paper, and her shouting about them finding her. I think I recall that they said she had been strangled. I also remember that Ortega Hwy had something to do with them. That road always scared me, and to this day, just hearing the name of it creeps me out. My mother was especially upset as Eddie's wallet incl address book was taken, and my sister's name and number were in it, as were many others. I recall going to the funeral for Eddie. I was old enough to know what happened was bad, but not enough to understand how bad. As I got much older, and became more confortable with my fascination with true crime, I recalled this incident, and wondered if it had affected me more than I thought. In that nobody ever told me what actually had happened or who did it. I did a little research here and there and read that story about the person who had done it, now being dead. I have never stopped wondering if they had been victims of Bonin, but I didn't look further. Tonight I was remembering them again and randomly Googled and came upon this! It is surreal to recall that night and the following weeks. It is heartening to know they are not forgotten. Genise was a few years older than me. It is all so strange to know that was part of the life I am still living. I will watch this site for updates, and may do some more research of my own. Thank you for caring about them. They were just kids. It could have been anyone's kids. Peace.
Thank you so much for sharing.

Chris
HI! I am doing a story about this case on my podcast, would you be willing to chat with me?

My sister and I were friends with Genise's sister Jacqui. Neisy (her pet name) was full of spice and vinegar. She was so adorable and Jacqui was beautiful. I remember swimming in the Rispin pool and making coke and cherry drinks from their catering truck. . After Genise was gone, I was told that Colleen was never the same. And, of course how could she be. I have never forgotten Neisy or Jacqui.
HI I am doing a story about this case, would you be willing to chat with me?

Hi,

I am doing a story on this case on my podcast, would you be willing to talk to me?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo53
Back