GUILTY CO - 1 dead, 8 injured, shots fired at STEM School in Highlands Ranch, 7 May 2019

This is the security company contracted by STEM Highland.

BOSS High Level Protection is a Denver, Colorado based security firm specializing in protection for schools, religious buildings, and businesses of all kinds. Veteran-owned and operated, BOSS exclusively employs team members with first-hand field experience including veterans, former law enforcement, and surveillance and security professionals.

The city and county of Denver, Colorado requires that any individual or business providing security services must obtain a Security Guard License from a provider that is registered and approved by the state. In addition to this, an armed security guard must obtain an armed endorsement from a registered provider. BOSS’ Basic Security Guard License training is a 16 hour course that covers the following and certifies guards to operate in the city and county of Denver:
  • Duties of a security guard
  • Communication protocols and procedure
  • Interaction with law enforcement
  • Use of force
For Armed Security Guards, there is an additional 5 hours of classroom firearms instruction and 3 hours of live firing range instruction required. Armed endorsements must be conducted by an NRA or POST firearms instructor.

Private School Protection is our most highly coveted position that goes to only our most dedicated and trustworthy operators. These operators will be immersed in active shooter response training before ever standing a post, and their training is continual.

In our society today, it has come to the point where this means placing an armed and capable person in the schools that house them. Although this is not always ideal, it is more than necessary.

Operators placed at schools receive training that exceeds all the other areas we cover, pushing far beyond basic security tactics and just shy of high level military and police training. We are more than confident that we can handle any situation that could arise.

Home - BOSS High Level Protection

For those who may have missed my earlier post:

Stop the bickering over gender / orientation and discuss the facts of this case.

Colorado303 said it perfectly upthread:

"ETA If shooter 2 was taking Testosterone that could be relevant. But ideally that’s where the trans discussion should begin and end IMO."

<bbm>

This was such a lovely gesture. Very heartwarming in such a terrible time. Kendrick was truly a remarkable young man. I really can't imagine the grief his family is experiencing.
Some School of Mines grads wear Kendrick Castillo stickers

@K_Z - thanks so much for posting this!!

My late best friend graduated from Mines, and he would be so proud to know the grads did this. Really made my day to read this as well.

Do you mean the taxpayers were trying to save money because that is who pays for the school.
No, I meant the leadership of the school was trying to say money. They are the ones who set the budget and, according to the news articles, they chose to no longer work with the Sheriff.

JMO

Last edited:
I would like to know more about the connections between the two shooters. The two seem so polar. How long were they friends? How long ago did they plan this attack? Who, if anyone in particular, did they target?

More and more, there are discussions about arming teachers with guns.

I would prefer that all of these school shootings should be studied, give some university a huge grant, to interview people involved, in depth analysis of data, and see what is the correlation between all of these school shooters. Several are still alive, pour over their MMPI's, whatever, and find out how to stop this situation.

Arming teachers is not the solution!

I would never trust a university with this type of study.

More and more, there are discussions about arming teachers with guns.

I would prefer that all of these school shootings should be studied, give some university a huge grant, to interview people involved, in depth analysis of data, and see what is the correlation between all of these school shooters. Several are still alive, pour over their MMPI's, whatever, and find out how to stop this situation.

Arming teachers is not the solution!
Goodness no on arming teachers. I personally know a teacher in her 60's who said she would welcome a gun. Well, she has vision problems as well as health problems. I can visualize her leaving a weapon out somewhere or forgetting where she put it. OMG NO.

Haha, very true. Then, the FBI should do something, the same as they did when they studied serial killers.

Documents below from the FBI, plus some links to curated documents by schoolshooters.info:

School Shooter

https://www.homelandsecurity.iowa.gov/documents/misc/FBI_School_Shooter_Guide.pdf

https://www.radnor.com/DocumentCenter/View/17998/The-School-Shooter---A-Quick-Reference-Guide-FBI

Documents by Type | School Shooters .info

https://schoolshooters.info/sites/default/files/FBI_Active_Shooters_2014_2015.pdf

This is pertinent to CO:

https://schoolshooters.info/sites/default/files/CSSRC-Essentials-of-TA-2018.pdf

Why Kids Kill: Inside the Minds of School Shooters | School Shooters .info

https://schoolshooters.info/sites/default/files/Comparison-Averted-Completed- Incidents.pdf

https://schoolshooters.info/sites/default/files/ssi_final_report.pdf

Many, many more official reports out there. The problem is being studied. It just hasn't been eradicated, or even controlled, to any significant degree.

If you really want to begin to understand why we can't stop school shooters, read the FERPA document below thoroughly. Then read more about FERPA. And more. We have created a system where we CANNOT stop these shootings, because we have decided we CANNOT, and will not, do anything effective with students who are KNOWN to be troubled/ angry/ defiant, including removing them from mainstream education classrooms. They can't be avoided or ignored by other students, apparently either, as some of their parents now believe that ignoring these troubled and antisocial students and their bad behavior is actually a form of bullying condoned by the schools (see my post upthread about lawsuits).

New law limits student discipline measure

Countdown to expand ban on ‘willful defiance’ suspensions in California schools

Troubled students have many more "protected rights" to remain in mainstream school and continue to be "troubled", than non-troubled students have rights to be safe from them.

Well intentioned, but appallingly implemented ideas under FERPA, are literally killing our children, IMO. We have successfully legislated antisocial behavior into a protected "disability" within public schools.

Let that really sink in, embrace your nausea, and you'll never have a good night's sleep again if you have children in public schools, or care about any kids in public schools.

In my humble opinion, yours may vary.

https://schoolshooters.info/sites/default/files/FERPA_K12.pdf

Such a mystery! Where I live in a Third World country now, kids are mainstreamed into all classrooms. It does not matter how disruptive they are.

They watch even more violent movies and play more violent games because they have access to games and movies from Asia which are far more violent.

They take psychotropic drugs. They are bullied. Their parents get divorced or simply leave for a new love interest.

There is high high unemployment. There is a lot of DV and child sex abuse. There is a lot of alcoholism and use of marijuana. Some use of meth but it is hard to get.

But not one school shooting so far. What could possibly be the difference?

Documents below from the FBI, plus some links to curated documents by schoolshooters.info:

School Shooter

https://www.homelandsecurity.iowa.gov/documents/misc/FBI_School_Shooter_Guide.pdf

https://www.radnor.com/DocumentCenter/View/17998/The-School-Shooter---A-Quick-Reference-Guide-FBI

Documents by Type | School Shooters .info

https://schoolshooters.info/sites/default/files/FBI_Active_Shooters_2014_2015.pdf

This is pertinent to CO:

https://schoolshooters.info/sites/default/files/CSSRC-Essentials-of-TA-2018.pdf

Why Kids Kill: Inside the Minds of School Shooters | School Shooters .info

https://schoolshooters.info/sites/default/files/Comparison-Averted-Completed- Incidents.pdf

https://schoolshooters.info/sites/default/files/ssi_final_report.pdf

Many, many more official reports out there. The problem is being studied. It just hasn't been eradicated, or even controlled, to any significant degree.

If you really want to begin to understand why we can't stop school shooters, read the FERPA document below thoroughly. Then read more about FERPA. And more. We have created a system where we CANNOT stop these shootings, because we have decided we CANNOT, and will not, do anything effective with students who are KNOWN to be troubled/ angry/ defiant, including removing them from mainstream education classrooms. They can't be avoided or ignored by other students, apparently either, as some of their parents now believe that ignoring these troubled and antisocial students and their bad behavior is actually a form of bullying condoned by the schools (see my post upthread about lawsuits).

New law limits student discipline measure

Countdown to expand ban on ‘willful defiance’ suspensions in California schools

Troubled students have many more "protected rights" to remain in mainstream school and continue to be "troubled", than non-troubled students have rights to be safe from them.

Well intentioned, but appallingly implemented ideas under FERPA, are literally killing our children, IMO. We have successfully legislated antisocial behavior into a protected "disability" within public schools.

Let that really sink in, embrace your nausea, and you'll never have a good night's sleep again if you have children in public schools, or care about any kids in public schools.

In my humble opinion, yours may vary.

https://schoolshooters.info/sites/default/files/FERPA_K12.pdf
Sobering. Frustrating. And stupid.

IMHO

Parents sued for it. They want their kids in school with other kids
They’re probably the same parents who refuse to vaccinate. Wonder if they’d be fine w/a kid exposed to Ebola assigned as their child’s locker partner.

Not too long ago (up until around Columbine), many kids (mostly boys) openly, and with full permission of school administration, brought guns to school. Yes, brought guns and ammunition TO SCHOOL. And even on the school bus. Hard to believe now, right?

Middle and high schools had "hunting clubs". Kids dropped off their guns in the office and picked them up at the end of the day. Boys in shop class would machine stocks and parts, assembling and disassembling guns right there in public schools.

There were NO school shootings for decades upon decades, upon decades. Not in any state or city in America. No where. Not one.

What changed, I wonder?

IMO, we stopped disciplining antisocial kids, and entirely stopped removing them from the classrooms. We stopped removing seriously mentally ill students from public schools.

We (the legislative and institutional educational administration "we") decided to "re-define" antisocial behavior as a protected disability.

"Oppositional defiant disorder."

"EBD-- Emotional and Behavioral Disorders."

We medically pathologize and excuse antisocial behavior, criminal behavior, and violent, menacing, and harassing behaviors as "disabilities" to first and foremost be PROTECTED, and disallow any discipline, expulsion, or environment that removed a troubled student out of mainstream classrooms and off campus.

We deny obvious symptoms of disordered thinking and mental illness in troubled students. We ignore, deny, and minimize the impact of the student's lifestyle and environment outside school hours. Above all, we have to pretend.

We (the institutional and political "we") have decided discipline, suspensions, and expulsions are the source of the student's problems, rather than looking at the behavior as a grave problem itself, and a symptom of even deeper problems.

We say there is nothing more "we" can do, until some troubled kid shoots up a school. And then we recoil in horror, rage, mourn, worry, and wait for the next shooting.

This willful denial is killing our kids. IMO.

We continue to escalate the "protections" for antisocial behavior in public schools.

What could possibly go wrong with that plan? </sarc>

Ask the parents of the dead and injured kids. They'll tell you about their grief. That's a club no one wants to belong to.

Such a mystery! Where I live in a Third World country now, kids are mainstreamed into all classrooms. It does not matter how disruptive they are.

They watch even more violent movies and play more violent games because they have access to games and movies from Asia which are far more violent.

They take psychotropic drugs. They are bullied. Their parents get divorced or simply leave for a new love interest.

There is high high unemployment. There is a lot of DV and child sex abuse. There is a lot of alcoholism and use of marijuana. Some use of meth but it is hard to get.

But not one school shooting so far. What could possibly be the difference?
In my school district, the three high schools have metal detectors at the entrances of the high schools. And they don't hesitate to kick out the students with disciplinary problems. Bullying is against school policy. Not one school shooting here, either. I think the problem lies with the leadership and how seriously they take school safety.

JMO

Reactions: TRB
@K_Z I know very well the laws, PL 94-142, is what started it all. I taught Special Education for 20 years, and decided to leave. Least Restrictive Environment...the whole thing gets even crazier. There are things that went on, I decided to just leave. And since leaving education, have had opportunities for lots of other positions. Leaving the classroom was the best thing I ever did for my sanity. And, probably safety.

I won't go off track and discuss some of the situations I was in, but ethically and morally, I couldn't continue to ignore some of the glaring issues. Much of what is in your post...

They’re probably the same parents who refuse to vaccinate. Wonder if they’d be fine w/a kid exposed to Ebola assigned as their child’s locker partner.

This has been going on since the law for educating all children. PL 94-142. I forget which year and too lazy to look but it has been decades. This is not a new issue.

Kids used to be in institutions and not in school. That law made it so kids were in school in the least restrictive environment. The most intense level is a residential treatment place.

It is much cheaper to have kids mainstreamed in school so taxpayers have gone right along with it.

If a school wants to expel a child, it could be a court battle with wealthy parents. So if someone goes to a wealthy school, it is more difficult to remove a child.

Parents who do not like the diagnosis that a public school gives go shopping in the private school situation thinking that the public school is wrong.

If the private school needs money, they will keep difficult children esp if the parent may be wealthy.

Because of privacy laws, people have no clue what kid’s behavior is like.

With the family dysfunctions of so many kinds, kids are having a lot of issues. I think there is a lot more alcoholism and drug usage nowadays.

Not too long ago (up until around Columbine), many kids (mostly boys) openly, and with full permission of school administration, brought guns to school. Yes, brought guns and ammunition TO SCHOOL. And even on the school bus. Hard to believe now, right?

Middle and high schools had "hunting clubs". Kids dropped off their guns in the office and picked them up at the end of the day. Boys in shop class would machine stocks and parts, assembling and disassembling guns right there in public schools.

There were NO school shootings for decades upon decades, upon decades. Not in any state or city in America. No where. Not one.

What changed, I wonder?

IMO, we stopped disciplining antisocial kids, and entirely stopped removing them from the classrooms. We stopped removing seriously mentally ill students from public schools.

We (the legislative and institutional educational administration "we") decided to "re-define" antisocial behavior as a protected disability.

"Oppositional defiant disorder."

"EBD-- Emotional and Behavioral Disorders."

We medically pathologize and excuse antisocial behavior, criminal behavior, and violent, menacing, and harassing behaviors as "disabilities" to first and foremost be PROTECTED, and disallow any discipline, expulsion, or environment that removed a troubled student out of mainstream classrooms and off campus.

We deny obvious symptoms of disordered thinking and mental illness in troubled students. We ignore, deny, and minimize the impact of the student's lifestyle and environment outside school hours. Above all, we have to pretend.

We (the institutional and political "we") have decided discipline, suspensions, and expulsions are the source of the student's problems, rather than looking at the behavior as a grave problem itself, and a symptom of even deeper problems.

We say there is nothing more "we" can do, until some troubled kid shoots up a school. And then we recoil in horror, rage, mourn, worry, and wait for the next shooting.

This willful denial is killing our kids. IMO.

We continue to escalate the "protections" for antisocial behavior in public schools.

What could possibly go wrong with that plan? </sarc>

Ask the parents of the dead and injured kids. They'll tell you about their grief. That's a club no one wants to belong to.

Not the gun part, but the way kids are treated in school is the law in many countries in Europe as well. Why don’t they have the issues?

Parents sued for it. They want their kids in school with other kids
Public schools can and do kick out any student for failing to abide by the rules in the student handbook. That's why there are alternative high schools. Kids in our area who have posted threats on social media have been arrested. If their kids or parents report bullying, it is investigated.

Instead of acting on the letter by the concerned parent about bullying and violence, the STEM school filed a lawsuit against the messenger. I have to wonder if the school board is elected or appointed because in this case leadership failed to protect these students.

JMO

In my school district, the three high schools have metal detectors at the entrances of the high schools. And they don't hesitate to kick out the students with disciplinary problems. Bullying is against school policy. Not one school shooting here, either. I think the problem lies with the leadership and how seriously they take school safety.

JMO

Are you in a well to do school district? My school district had the well to do school and kids were not kicked out. Parents could afford lawyers and would use them. One case could require the principal to be involved with litigation for weeks.

It is easier to kick kids out of middle and low income schools

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Janewiththedogs
Back