CO - Austin Eubanks, 37. Dead. Was Shot and Hooked on Opioids after Columbine School Massacre.

PastTense

Reaction score
  • Austin Eubanks was 17 years old when two gunmen entered Columbine High School and killed 13 people, including his best friend Corey DePooter
  • Eubanks was shot twice and pretended to be dead but watched DePooter die
  • He spiraled into opioid addiction as a means of coping and to block out the pain
  • Inspirationally, Eubanks became sober and traveled the country helping others
  • He was found dead at his Steamboat Springs home Saturday, his family said
  • His death comes a month after the 20th anniversary of the high school shooting
  • There were no signs of foul play and an autopsy is scheduled Monday
Columbine school shooting survivor and addiction advocate, 37, is found dead | Daily Mail Online

While it is not known yet why he died, addiction can be so damaging to your health that his former addiction due to the Columbine school shooting could mean that the Columbine school shooting has now claimed another victim.

His family has basically said it was an overdose.
I hate this.

Columbine survivor Austin Eubanks found dead at 37 - CNN

His family released a statement to KMGH saying Eubanks "lost the battle with the very disease he fought so hard to help others face. Helping to build a community of support is what meant the most to Austin, and we plan to continue his work."

It's seems almost unbearably unfair that a young person with his whole life ahead of him would fall victim to not just one, but two of the most public and heartbreaking tragedies of our time: school shootings and opioid addiction.

He spent half his life trying to overcome this double whammy of unbearable burdens. But how much can one person be expected to endure? I am so sorry, Austin. Your suffering is finally over.

It's seems almost unbearably unfair that a young person with his whole life ahead of him would fall victim to not just one, but two of the most public and heartbreaking tragedies of our time: school shootings and opioid addiction.

He spent half his life trying to overcome this double whammy of unbearable burdens. But how much can one person be expected to endure? I am so sorry, Austin. Your suffering is finally over.

One led directly to the other. He was given the painkillers after the shooting and immediately realized it was much easier to be numb. :(

One led directly to the other. He was given the painkillers after the shooting and immediately realized it was much easier to be numb. :(

Yes, and so sad, because had it happened at some other point in history he might not have been put on the opioid pain management plan, and maybe that would have been one less battle he'd have to fight. It's just heartbreaking to me.

Yes, and so sad, because had it happened at some other point in history he might not have been put on the opioid pain management plan, and maybe that would have been one less battle he'd have to fight. It's just heartbreaking to me.

I mean like immediately in the hospital, not pills but intravenously. That's all it took for him he said.

I mean like immediately in the hospital, not pills but intravenously. That's all it took for him he said.

A baffling, cunning and powerful disease. Even in remission (recovery) that demon of a disease is doing push-ups, working out behind the scenes and stealthily growing stronger and stronger, waiting for the light in you to dim just a tiny bit, ready to emerge in an unguarded moment. . . the wolf in sheeps clothing, promising a respite from the pain. Delivering only destruction.

I hate it. IME IMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back