Closing Arguments- Chase Merritt Charged W/Murder of Joseph, Summer, Gianni and Joe Jr McStay #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joseph Mateo Martelli “Joey” McStay

2cekavp.jpg

Summer Aranda McStay

e5h6is.jpg

Gianni Giuseppe Martelli McStay

14e3wcg.jpg

Joseph Mateo Martelli McStay, Jr

9zyc92.jpg

The McStay Family

34xgsb5.jpg

Joseph Mateo Martelli “Joey” McStay (1969-2010) -...

I don’t think Joseph had “Martelli” in his name, did he? I thought that came from Summer. For some reason I thought that was one of her names at some point in the past.

You cant have it both ways. You cant just pick and choose what fits your narrative. CM didnt report Joseph missing for a while. He is guilty. Well, nobody did.

It appears CM is guilty but deep down it's all just circumstantial which can be enough to convict.
Well, actually DK did report him missing, when he was still in Hawaii.

I don’t think Joseph had “Martelli” in his name, did he? I thought that came from Summer. For some reason I thought that was one of her names at some point in the past.

It's in both of the boy's as well... so I don't know. I simply copy and pasted what was there because it was the best place to get all 4 pictures.

Perhaps she used it in the past because it was in Joseph's name? Kind of like I despise my father-in-law and his side of the family. I might just decide to use my mother-in-law's maiden name instead.

It could also just be a mistake. I thought it was a long name... but who knows.

You cant have it both ways. You cant just pick and choose what fits your narrative. CM didnt report Joseph missing for a while. He is guilty. Well, nobody did.

It appears CM is guilty but deep down it's all just circumstantial which can be enough to convict.
Circumstantial evidence can be some of the best evidence .

That could be totally true. It's entirely possible they didn't instruct him to do this. Or it's possible they instructed him to approach the jury after everything had concluded.

Attorney's would have meant after the verdict and sentencing. Media guy may have thought they meant once jury was sent to deliberate, he could approach the alternates.

I don't think anyone thought that it would be made such a big deal of. I don't think there is any proof it was intentional or willful or was meant to cause a mistrial or injustice at all.

Let's hope the jury is more productive than everyone else in that courtroom.
They would have known it would be a big deal .Wallace may have believed the alternates wouldn’t report his request , but he’s a member of the defense team , familiar with court legalities. He knew.

Wallace told Smith he approached the two “at the end of the proceedings… I mentioned to them that when the trial was over we would like to extend a voluntary invitation to talk with us. I understood that things weren’t concluded,” Wallace told the judge.

“That’s still improper contact with a juror. And that’s really serious,” Smith said.

The judge said consequences could include being charged with jury tampering, or if a mistrial is declared because of the incident, Wallace could be responsible for all the costs of the trial, “and that’s, I’m guessing, hundreds of thousands of dollars,” Smith said.

The judge said Monday he was contemplating at least a contempt charge against Wallace for his actions. Written statements about the matter are due to Smith on Thursday. Smith did order Wallace to stay away from the downtown San Bernardino Justice Center courthouse for the rest of the trial.

Defense attorney James McGee confirmed to Smith that Wallace “is a member of the defense team,” saying his roles included assisting in the preparation of the trial and acting as a media liaison.

“In some respects, that makes it even more serious,” Smith said, adding that members of the defense team can be held to same standards as the attorneys.

McStay case: Judge bars defense team member tied to film crew from courthouse for approaching jurors – Press Enterprise

These jurors also need to be applauded for speaking up. Reminds me of Sara Stern (NJ) trial earlier this year when juror was dismissed during deliberations, and gave a media interview the following day --when deliberations were still in process.

Nonetheless -- defense attorney Wallace knows better.
In my post I missed that Wallace is not an attorney. Sorry about that.

Nonetheless, he's worked in the court room before, and has been present for court decorum readings, and should know better! MOO

Ok... finally found something on this Wallace guy, although for a "media guy", he sure doesn't market himself as that since I can't seem to find anything LOL

Jon Knautz is the guy making the documentary.. Jon Knautz - IMDb

The documentary is called Two Shallow Graves: The McStay Family Murders Two Shallow Graves: The McStay Family Murders - IMDb

Jon Knautz made another movie called "The Cleaning Lady" The Cleaning Lady (2018) - Full Cast & Crew - IMDb

Robert Wallace is listed as an executive producer. But that is the extent to his credits on imdb Robert Wallace - IMDb

In my post I missed that Wallace is not an attorney. Sorry about that.

Nonetheless, he's worked in the court room before, and has been present for court decorum readings, and should know better! MOO

I don't even know if the guy has worked in or around a court room before LOL I think he was added as a "media liason" or whatever so he could hang with the defense to film the documentary JMO

I suspect that we won't get to see or hear the affidavit's that will be filed, which is a shame, I kinda want to know now, who this guy was, what the heck he was thinking approaching the alternates before the case is concluded, why he thought it was okay to do so...

Ok... finally found something on this Wallace guy, although for a "media guy", he sure doesn't market himself as that since I can't seem to find anything LOL

The documentary is called Two Shallow Graves: The McStay Family Murders Two Shallow Graves: The McStay Family Murders - IMDb

Jon Knautz made another movie called "The Cleaning Lady" The Cleaning Lady (2018) - Full Cast & Crew - IMDb

Robert Wallace is listed as an executive producer. But that is the extent to his credits on imdb Robert Wallace - IMDb
Executive producers are the ones who fund the project. They’re the ones with the $$.

McStay case: Judge bars defense team member tied to film crew from courthouse for approaching jurors – Press Enterprise

Defense attorney James McGee confirmed to Smith that Wallace “is a member of the defense team,” saying his roles included assisting in the preparation of the trial and acting as a media liaison.

“In some respects, that makes it even more serious,” Smith said, adding that members of the defense team can be held to same standards as the attorneys.

The judge asked for the statements, called affidavits, from defense attorneys McGee and Rajan Maline, and from Wallace. They are to outline any advice, directions and limitations from the attorneys to the defense team, and from Wallace to explain his actions toward the two alternate jurors, and why he did it.

I also found this very interesting:

Robert Wallace, who has often has been in the court audience during the months-long proceedings, told San Bernardino Superior Court Judge Michael A. Smith that he had invited the alternates to be interviewed for a documentary being made by a film crew that has been following Merritt’s defense team.

I don't even know if the guy has worked in or around a court room before LOL I think he was added as a "media liason" or whatever so he could hang with the defense to film the documentary JMO

I suspect that we won't get to see or hear the affidavit's that will be filed, which is a shame, I kinda want to know now, who this guy was, what the heck he was thinking approaching the alternates before the case is concluded, why he thought it was okay to do so...

Read this earlier...

JD Crighton‏ @JDCrighton 3h3 hours ago
No word yet. Did see jurors come back from lunch but that’s about it.

So I'm going to go with they did NOT work through lunch today lol I thought they would have ordered in lunch to just keep deliberating... guess not.
Now Missy, you know everyone needs a break from work right?!

It's in both of the boy's as well... so I don't know. I simply copy and pasted what was there because it was the best place to get all 4 pictures.

Perhaps she used it in the past because it was in Joseph's name? Kind of like I despise my father-in-law and his side of the family. I might just decide to use my mother-in-law's maiden name instead.

It could also just be a mistake. I thought it was a long name... but who knows.

I don't know if IMDB is credible or always factual but it says here:

Joseph McStay was born as Sr Joseph Mateo Martelli McStay. He was previously married to Summer McStay.

Joseph McStay - Biography - IMDb

[ why does it say he was 'previously' married to Summer?]

The judge asked for the statements, called affidavits, from defense attorneys McGee and Rajan Maline, and from Wallace. They are to outline any advice, directions and limitations from the attorneys to the defense team, and from Wallace to explain his actions toward the two alternate jurors, and why he did it.

I also found this very interesting:

Robert Wallace, who has often has been in the court audience during the months-long proceedings, told San Bernardino Superior Court Judge Michael A. Smith that he had invited the alternates to be interviewed for a documentary being made by a film crew that has been following Merritt’s defense team.

I read the article, but thanks LOL My point is that this guy is not a media guy, at least not IMO. He is part of the documentary and IMO they called him the media liason so he could hang with the defense team and get the behind the scene shots. I can't find anything about this guy, which would be strange if he really is a media consultant, but again, JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddph