Closing Arguments- Chase Merritt Charged W/Murder of Joseph, Summer, Gianni and Joe Jr McStay #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
RSBM
From what I watched of the trial, IMO, the PT failed in proving CM committed the murders, in the house, etc. But I will NOT be surprised if the jury convicts him on "emotions" because this is a very emotional case, especially with the murders of those 2 young boys.
rsbm

I would be extremely surprised if 12 jurors convicted based on "emotions".

JMO

Yes there are a few of us here like me and missy. Though some are not here because they could not behave themselves. We have a few polls about guilty or not guilty. Not sure if one particularly addresses beyond a reasonable doubt or not.
They don't lol that's why I never voted. 5 months later and I'm not convinced either way, glad I didn't have to make this decision.

Yes there are a few of us here like me and missy. Though some are not here because they could not behave themselves. We have a few polls about guilty or not guilty. Not sure if one particularly addresses beyond a reasonable doubt or not.

Hello,

Ok good.

And LOL at "could not behave themselves" !

Followed this case from early on. Will never forget the morn, as I sat at Starbuck's in Palm Desert, when the news broke of Merritt's arrest. Two weeks earlier, I tried to visit the graves, but as I approached the crosses on foot, I got so wigged out I beat it back to my vehicle and out of there. I'll never believe Merritt alone did this.

I have no doubt whatsoever CM murdered all four right by himself, and transported their bodies from the home.

I also believe he moved them to the desert, and he solely was the one who dug the graves, and CM alone buried them all.

Whether he had someone else pick him up after he put the Trooper at the border may always remain unknown.

He could have also easily done that too right by himself since there are several options of transportation for him to return afterwards.

In the end those other things are irrelevant to me.. because I do firmly 100% beyond all doubt.. believe he was the sole one who murdered them all.

There was never any evidence uncovered in an over a year long investigation showing anyone else was involved in any manner other than the man who is now going to hear his fate whether the jury believes he is THE ONE who murdered all four victims.

Imo, he is no different than many other murderers who murdered multiple victims...did all of the coverup, and buried the bodies right by themselves.

Jmho

Last edited:
They don't lol that's why I never voted. 5 months later and I'm not convinced either way, glad I didn't have to make this decision.

Glad I'm not the only one who doesn't know. I know I'm biased because I work trying to free people wrongly convicted. However, I wouldn't be able to convict him. I'd have hung this jury for sure. :(

It's so soul crushing regardless of the verdict. Just sitting here watching my little dude play. I can't even imagine.

Hello,

Ok good.

So ... I will not be the only lone wolf here today ... LOL !

Hi there!! No, you certainly won't be the only lone wolf here today LOL. There's still several of us (myself included) who believe the State has not proven CM is Guilty BARD. Not long to go now before we hear from the jury :)

Last edited:
:) Good Morning, Y'all !

I have not been here in a long, long time ... REAL LIFE has been extremely hectic.

But anyway ... I did watch some of the trial.

As most of the older members know, I used to post on this thread ... but I was the "lone wolf" as to my opinion, especially after CM was arrested. This is JMO but there is much more to this case than a "fountain business," "forged checks" and hacking, etc.

From what I watched of the trial, IMO, the PT failed in proving CM committed the murders, in the house, etc. But I will NOT be surprised if the jury convicts him on "emotions" because this is a very emotional case, especially with the murders of those 2 young boys.

Question: Is there anyone here that thinks that the PT did NOT prove their case BARD?

Thanks !
I am totally on the fence. I think he did it, but I think the case is completely circumstantial and was not presented smoothly by the prosecution. I want him to be found guilty, because I do believe he did it, but I feel there is a puzzle piece missing and a few that don’t quite fit. If I were on the jury, I would have a very difficult time voting guilty. I really thought it would end up as a hung jury. My prediction is an acquittal. It makes me uneasy to feel this way. I honestly will be happy if it is guilty.

Hello,

You have a good point - BUT - I don't trust juries ... LOL !

And JMO

Neither do I. We've seen them convict on emotion before. Just had a case where there is no other explanation since the defendant had a GPS alibi.

So while I appreciate the work juries do, especially this one! I'm always uncertain during verdict watch.

This one is different for me. I truly don't have an opinion on whether he's guilty or innocent. That's never happened before.

I remember you well. Our boy :) Kyron.

Glad I'm not the only one who doesn't know. I know I'm biased because I work trying to free people wrongly convicted. However, I wouldn't be able to convict him. I'd have hung this jury for sure. :(

It's so soul crushing regardless of the verdict. Just sitting here watching my little dude play. I can't even imagine.

I feel the evidence reached a point where obvious and logical inferences have to be made.

At that stage, for me, speculation from the defence attorneys about where Chase may have been or the content of phone calls around the cheques isn't sufficient to overturn the prima facie conclusions.

It's isn't OK for the defence to say "we don't have to give an alibi" when the accused himself gave a bogus story

He needed to take the stand and tell us what his version was.

He exercised his right not to, but that left no reasonable explanation for his actions.

IMO

Would any of you who have doubt and/or don't believe the PT proved the case BARD, be willing to give some specifics as to why? What lingering doubts do you have or what evidence did you need that was not put on? I promise I am not trying to stir the pot or incite a debate, just seeking to understand a different point of view. TIA.

I have no doubt whatsoever CM murdered all four right by himself, and transported their bodies from the home.

I also believe he moved them to the desert, and he solely was the one who dug the graves, and CM alone buried them all.

Whether he had someone else pick him up after he put the Trooper at the border may always remain unknown.

He could have also easiky done that too right by himself since there are several options of transportation for him to return afterwards.

In the end those other things are irrelevant to me.. because I do firmly 100% beyond all doubt.. believe he was the sole one who murdered them all.

There was never any evidence uncovered in an over a year long investigation showing anyone else was involved in any manner other than the man who is now going to hear his fate whether the jury believes he is THE ONE who murdered all four victims.

Imo, he is no different than many other murderers who murdered multiple victims...did all of the coverup, and buried the bodies right by themselves.

Jmho

Hello OBE !

You are one of the most articulate, knowledgeable posters here at WS

But on this case, I have to disagree with you. JMO but the FACTS do not fit the Timeline, evidence, etc. And as I have said before, there is much more to this case than "fountains" - forged checks - hacked accounts - etc.

It's okay that we do not agree though ... just think how boring it would be if we all agreed?

LOL

He could have also easiky done that too right by himself since there are several options of transportation for him to return afterwards.

Jmho

Well said and I completely agree with you.

I may be in the minority but I still have concerns that the defense may have tampered more with this jury than we know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname