Closing Arguments- Chase Merritt Charged W/Murder of Joseph, Summer, Gianni and Joe Jr McStay #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not sure if this was posted, but it is the families exiting the courthouse.

Twitter

so Joey's oldest son was not there

one thing I haven't seen commented on is how small the courtroom is
like that amount of seats would barely fit my immediate family, much less extended family, friends, media, onlookers etc.
and having all the attorneys smushed together like that is bizarre IMO

For the record: I know of 1 inmate who has been on Death Row since 1996 and is still alive.

Douglas Stankewitz has been on death row in California, since 1978.

There’s many more who have been on death row for several decades.

Chase Merritt will almost certainly die of natural causes.

Douglas Stankewitz has been on death row in California, since 1978.

There’s many more who have been on death row for several decades.

Chase Merritt will almost certainly die of natural causes.

Being British this pleases me, death is a cop out. Rotting away in a jail cell for 25 is lot more harmful to the spirit than dying.

MOO

Finally CM has been outed and is now a convicted murderer. Hopefully he will be a death row inmate by the end of next week.

9 years later the Mcstay family have finally received the justice they deserve. The news doesn’t make me ‘happy’, two children along with their parents were brutally murdered and justice was delayed. Their bodies were hidden with the hope they would never be found and had it not been for the passing motorcyclist, the disappearance of the Mcstay family would still be an unsolved mystery. Charles Merritt is a calculated, deceitful, cold human being. The only thing he feels sorry for is himself for getting caught.

Justice was served today for Joey, Summer, Gianni and Joey jr. I hope their family can rest easier knowing he is behind bars for the rest of his miserable life regardless of what the jury decides.
I wouldn’t like to be going to bed tonight knowing I’m either getting lwop or the death penalty. But he deserves no less imo.

The death penalty is more symbolic than anything. There have been cases of life sentences being commuted and killers being released. Only to kill again. A death sentence means, if his sentence is commuted it will be to LIFE in prison.

It also does mean increased security and decreased perks for the inmate. Any inmate will tell you that segregation is worse than death.

It is mostly going to be people who will talk about his character. The defense will bring up family and friends who will say what a loving father, great co worker, life long friend he is.

The state will try to show the opposite. This is where the jury will hear about his criminal record, and about the people he ripped off in his business, etc.

Also the state has to explain how it is a special circumstance. Which might be grisly.

The jury apparantly didn’t believe his gf/“wife” or his daughter.
They probably didn’t believe the sister who testified. Anyone notice her story changed after Chase set her up in a trailer & “helped” her. Wonderful brother.
We heard CJ basically say to CM that he has no one because he makes everyone mad . She had to leave him because he made so many enemies , she was aftaid for herself & their kids. She couldn’t keep living that way.
So who WILL testify on CM’s behalf?

It will be interesting to see if Merritt can muscle up any real friends to speak on his behalf.

Family members are always going to be biased and so getting real friends would hold a lot more weight when he is trying to show his redeeming features.

IMO

Folks, sorry if I missed it but when will sentencing take place please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dressie