Found Deceased CA - Davey Johnson, Moto Journalist, Disappears On Motorcycle Trip, CA Route 49, 5 June 2019

Desperate search for missing automotive journalist last heard from four days ago | Daily Mail Online
"'I just really hope he's alive, because thinking about the alternative yesterday was . . . I don't even have words for it,' Johnson's girlfriend Jaclyn Trop told Car and Driver over the weekend.

'I was completely gutted, and I would still feel that way if they hadn't found the bike.'

Trop and Johnson had spent the previous weekend together riding around Los Angeles on the Honda CB1000R bike he was testing for Motorcyclist magazine.

They went their separate ways on Sunday as Trop flew to Florida and Johnson took the bike to Las Vegas.

On Tuesday he took off for Mammoth, California, and was driving through the Sonora Pass that evening.

14566922-7121353-image-a-8_1560091962421.jpg

"Johnson was due to arrive home Friday after a week-long motorcycle trip from Los Angeles to Las Vegas to Sacramento County. Police began searching for him on Saturday

Trop said she didn't hear from Johnson for about 12 hours before he messaged her around 2am Wednesday and apologized for not reaching out, saying his phone had died and he'd been making his way down difficult, ice roads after the sun went down.

'I had a great time before it got dark,' Johnson texted. 'That part of the Sierra is just stupidly spectacular. Anyway, I'm so sorry I worried you. Yes, I am okay and alive, but I am WIPED.'"

"'I just hope he's figured out how to stay alive,' Trop said. 'It's been 72 hours since he was last heard from. I think people can survive that, even if he was lost by a river.'

Police have asked anyone with information to contact the Calaveras County Sheriff at 209–754–6500."

I understand law enforcement is extremely busy and have the utmost respect for them. That being said, it took them 8 hours for them to take his girlfriends missing report serious? Yikes!! Last summer I had contacted the sheriff department on a missing person sighting and was asked to call 3 or 4 different numbers and not one person seemed interested. I was floored that the number I called for the missing person case really knew nothing about the case. I wonder how many times this happens to other people and how often crucial information is missed.

So he was sitting next to a stream at 2 a.m.?

Maybe the roads were too icy and he wanted to wait until daylight for the temps to rise.

"Trop said she didn't hear from Johnson for about 12 hours before he messaged her around 2am Wednesday and apologized for not reaching out, saying his phone had died and he'd been making his way down difficult, ice roads after the sun went down. " Desperate search for missing automotive journalist last heard from four days ago | Daily Mail Online

“UPDATE 7:
10:52 AM PT, Monday, June 10

The Sheriff's office has asked that those seeking information please rely on this social media post (IG and Twitter) for all information about the search and rescue efforts going forward.

We are all desperate for news, but the office can't return everyone's calls and they are still in the midst of a very extensive search and rescue effort.

Please let them do their jobs and work to find Davey.”
Abby Bassett

I hope this is OK to post as AB’s page (and the thread the comment above is from in particular) has essentially become a “Help Find ...” page for Davey.

Crews Search for Missing Automotive Writer in Northern California
"Authorities using boats and drones searched a Northern California river Monday for a veteran automotive journalist who went missing while test-driving a motorcycle for a story.

Calaveras County Lt. Anthony Eberhardt said crews were searching the Mokelumne River and a reservoir near the town of Mokelumne Hill for David Gordon Johnson, who was reported missing June 5. Eberhardt said no foul play is suspected."

"Eberhardt said the river is at a high flow and moving at a rate of 35 mph.

Officials have warned the state's waterways are running cold and fast as the state's massive snowpack begins to melt and pour water into rivers and creeks."

35 mile-per-hour flow? Remember that Mr. Johnson reached this location on a motorcycle. He understands this in a way many people do not -- air behaves very much like water, his text describes being "wiped" from riding in the wind. He would understand that energy & force of that water very well.

You can become very sore riding in wind, the wind is essentially at work to peel the rider off the motorcycle. You're holding against that force.

Waiting, not patiently, for more information!

New article came out that includes the "finding the wallet in his belongings" information:

Auto writer vanishes during California test drive: ‘We are all desperate for news’

UPDATED JUNE 10, 2019 12:33 PM

. . . Bassett wrote Sunday night that rescuers’ efforts are “focusing mainly on the water” in the Mokelumne River and the highway nearby. . . The search has concluded for the day and will resume tomorrow. The Calaveras Sheriff and all involved agencies have requested additional resources to continue to aid in the search for Davey Johnson. . .

Here is the record of the temperatures in Mokelumne Hill this past week:

(ETA tap on the picture to read the temperature calendar)
upload_2019-6-11_5-6-22.png

Courtesy of https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/mokelumne-hill-ca/95245/june-weather/2142268

I lived in this area of California for 20 years, so I am very familiar with the roads in this area. At this time of year, Davey was out of the icy road conditions as soon as he crossed the Sierras and got onto Highway 49. Highway 49 travels north/south through the foothills.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back