CO CO - Garfield Co, WhtMale 35-65, 789UMCO, skeletal in tent, Sep'04

This is what I was talking about. The first image is ONLY the bleed through on page 2 which would have gotten there by soaking through from page 1. The second image is the bleed through from page 2 super imposed over the same part of page 1. There's a few other places that this could be done.

Wow, this is great work! It shows how extensive the bleed-through actually is. I guess I thought that letters written in ink would just turn into a puddle of liquid when exposed to rainwater. But you've shown that, under certain conditions, the letters would still retain their recognizable shapes and be transferred virtually intact onto other pages.

Part of me fears that there's really not much more we can get from the letter, that the illegible parts are no longer recoverable. I've shared some of your posts and linked this thread to the Mark Husk thread, where there's also speculation that these two men could be one and the same person. If they are, then some connections might be made through Mark's side.

Thanks @papijoe2002 for showing the bleed-through!

I've been watching this thread for a while, has anyone contacted the Ukrainians to see if they're missing this guy? After all, from what I've read from his notes, he wanted his ashes scattered by the "Rika" river in the western Ukraine.

@coffieandacig - I'm trying to see where it mentions Rika and I can't find it! Do you have a post number or something where you could point it out or lead me to it? Thanks!

@coffieandacig - I'm trying to see where it mentions Rika and I can't find it! Do you have a post number or something where you could point it out or lead me to it? Thanks!

Hi annemc2! I do have what I've deciphered in relation to this case. I never posted it on here. It just sat in my files, because I figured there were tons of people looking at these notes. Hope this helps...
NotebookGarfieldCoCoAA1.jpg

"Reka" means "river" in Russian. As far as I know there is no river with that name in Western Ukraine. The way it is written on the first page it doesn't look like Russian/Ukrainian reference to me.

BBM

Yeah I have to agree, and here's why:

I think it's safe to assume that his first reference to his "ashes" or "remains" must be towards the end of the second paragraph on page 1, even if we can't see it. This is because the first paragraph ends with "... claim the body. No services or much real ceremony", and the first paragraph on page 2 starts with "third choice is to take them up in a glider." So the only spot left is the second paragraph on page 1.

For "Rika" to be the first word of the second paragraph on page 1 and signify where he wants his remains to be, I think the sentence would have to be something like "Rika is where I want my ashes to be scattered." But in my opinion, there just isn't enough room for that, since that same line has either "stingy fool" or "fault", "guilt" or whatever that word is, and the next two lines have "... as I thought / if I don't get saved..."

BBM

Yeah I have to agree, and here's why:

I think it's safe to assume that his first reference to his "ashes" or "remains" must be towards the end of the second paragraph on page 1, even if we can't see it. This is because the first paragraph ends with "... claim the body. No services or much real ceremony", and the first paragraph on page 2 starts with "third choice is to take them up in a glider." So the only spot left is the second paragraph on page 1.

For "Rika" to be the first word of the second paragraph on page 1 and signify where he wants his remains to be, I think the sentence would have to be something like "Rika is where I want my ashes to be scattered." But in my opinion, there just isn't enough room for that, since that same line has either "stingy fool" or "fault", "guilt" or whatever that word is, and the next two lines have "... as I thought / if I don't get saved..."

I see it differently.
For me the second paragraph on the first page begins, "I would like for you to claim the body. No services or mem-oreal. Cremation or Crematory (spelling). Ashes over Rika in a dingy raft. (unreadable) Urn."
Short, choppy, and to the point second paragraph.

Third paragraph..."As I thought..."
Starting to wax poetic in third and subsequent paragraphs.

Just a different way of seeing things...LOL

Last edited:
I see it differently.
For me the second paragraph on the first page begins, "I would like for you to claim the body. No services or mem-oreal. Cremation or Crematory (spelling). Ashes over Rika in a dingy raft. (unreadable) Urn."
Short, choppy, and to the point second paragraph.

Third paragraph..."As I thought..."
Starting to wax poetic in third and subsequent paragraphs.

Just a different way of seeing things...LOL

I can definitely see the progression from short and choppy at first to waxing poetic. I guess I've just been convinced by an earlier reading upthread, "No services or much real ceremony" instead of the misspelled and divided "memo-real." But as for "ceremony/cremation", either is possible, especially with the bleed-through we've been detecting.

And btw, "Crematory" is a great suggestion because I really think that last letter is a "y." Even though the rest of his y's do not curve like his g's, they still go below the line. (Though the letter before the "y" looks like an "n" to me in the linked close-up.)

I struggle with "Rika"—I can sorta see but it just strikes me as so random. But your guess is a good as any. And who knows? If he can talk about having his ashes taken up in a glider, then why not then on a "dingy raft" in the Ukraine? Maybe it was an inside joke that Lib would've gotten?

I can definitely see the progression from short and choppy at first to waxing poetic. I guess I've just been convinced by an earlier reading upthread, "No services or much real ceremony" instead of the misspelled and divided "memo-real." But as for "ceremony/cremation", either is possible, especially with the bleed-through we've been detecting.

And btw, "Crematory" is a great suggestion because I really think that last letter is a "y." Even though the rest of his y's do not curve like his g's, they still go below the line. (Though the letter before the "y" looks like an "n" to me in the linked close-up.)

I struggle with "Rika"—I can sorta see but it just strikes me as so random. But your guess is a good as any. And who knows? If he can talk about having his ashes taken up in a glider, then why not then on a "dingy raft" in the Ukraine? Maybe it was an inside joke that Lib would've gotten?

Just strikes me as weird, his inability to spell memorial, and the caps and lower case letters used in tandem. English may be his second language. He may have come to this country as a young man, and Lib might be a friend from the old country...who knows.

Found this man who was entered into Namus last year, but has been missing since 1992. He has the height, right age and the glasses, and a last name that you could find in a place like the Ukraine. Not a whole lot of information other than the basics, though.
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Just strikes me as weird, his inability to spell memorial, and the caps and lower case letters used in tandem. English may be his second language.

RSBM
JMO, but his sentence structure does not strike me as being that of someone who is not a native English speaker. Also, we don't know for sure that the word is actually memorial, so we can't say it's misspelled.

Oh wow - I was wondering why I couldn't even tag someone properly and it turns out I can't even spell. Coffie? Jeez. Sorry about that. Migraines are hell. That is partially why I was having trouble sorting through the thread to find the Rika reference. I wanted to look at it because there is a "Ricka" canoeing/kayaking organization in Rhode Island and their logo looks like RIKA.

My mind shot to the NE because of Mark Husk and kayaking seemed to go along with camping and paragliding. For an outdoor/adventurist it's probably not too far of a distance, but I'm very unfamiliar with the NE US so maybe it's unlikely. I'm still pretty foggy and it's likely nothing but will leave it to you guys to see if it might even be remotely connected (kind of like a hey - shout out to my buddies at RIKA! put my ashes in the river!). Rhode Island Canoe & Kayak Association

I just had a huge medication-induced nap so am going to have some more coffie to get my head straight!

Oh wow - I was wondering why I couldn't even tag someone properly and it turns out I can't even spell. Coffie? Jeez. Sorry about that. Migraines are hell. That is partially why I was having trouble sorting through the thread to find the Rika reference. I wanted to look at it because there is a "Ricka" canoeing/kayaking organization in Rhode Island and their logo looks like RIKA.

My mind shot to the NE because of Mark Husk and kayaking seemed to go along with camping and paragliding. For an outdoor/adventurist it's probably not too far of a distance, but I'm very unfamiliar with the NE US so maybe it's unlikely. I'm still pretty foggy and it's likely nothing but will leave it to you guys to see if it might even be remotely connected (kind of like a hey - shout out to my buddies at RIKA! put my ashes in the river!). Rhode Island Canoe & Kayak Association

I just had a huge medication-induced nap so am going to have some more coffie to get my head straight!

This is a great find! According to Google Maps, RICKA is only a 4.5-hour drive away from Ferrisburgh, VT.

And what's more, their newsletters are online. November 2007, their earliest posted issue, features an article on page 3 about Silverthorne, Colorado securing water rights for a kayak park! Silverthorne is just 4 hours away from Sleepy Cat Peak.

Could Mark have read a RICKA newsletter featuring outdoors events happening in Colorado? Could that be the connection?

This is a great find! According to Google Maps, RICKA is only a 4.5-hour drive away from Ferrisburgh, VT.

And what's more, their newsletters are online. November 2007, their earliest posted issue, features an article on page 3 about Silverthorne, Colorado securing water rights for a kayak park! Silverthorne is just 4 hours away from Sleepy Cat Peak.

Could Mark have read a RICKA newsletter featuring outdoors events happening in Colorado? Could that be the connection?

@annemc2 Absolutely great find! And sorry about your migraine :( @JSolt1210 Wow...that would awesome!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arsongirlfriend
Back