Dominican Republic - American tourists found dead in resorts, same cause of death, 2018/2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has this death been counted yet?

https://nypost.com/2019/06/14/family-reveals-another-tourists-mystery-death-in-dominican-republic/

"Jerry Curran, 78, passed away on Jan. 26, three days after arriving in the country with his wife Janet, his family told WKYC 3."
Replying to my own post to add info from the article.

Apparently he was a healthy 78yo. Fell ill after dinner and drinking.

"Then, a family friend traveling with the couple called Brown with a strange demand.

'Your father needs surgery or he’s going to die and they need $50,000 and you need to send it with a copy of your passport, the front and back of your debit card and an authorization stating that you would allow them to withdraw $50,000,' Brown recalled the friend telling her."

More at the link.

"Then, a family friend traveling with the couple called Brown with a strange demand.

'Your father needs surgery or he’s going to die and they need $50,000 and you need to send it with a copy of your passport, the front and back of your debit card and an authorization stating that you would allow them to withdraw $50,000,' Brown recalled the friend telling her."

More at the link.

WHAT THE ACTUAL????????

BBM
Re: "Leyla Cox drowned in a rip tide"
^^That is not what I find in news reports.
I find "heart attack" "in her hotel room".
Shark Tank star Barbara Corcoran says her brother 'died of natural causes' in Dominican Republic | Daily Mail Online
The latest victim, Leyla Cox, 53, of New Brighton was found dead in her hotel room on Monday, and authorities told her son William that it was a heart attack.

However, William says no he has been told that toxicology report has been carried out on her because all the country's machines are broken.

Son searching for answers after Staten Island woman dies in the Dominican Republic
The cause of death was given as a heart attack.

"She was too young to die of a heart attack, she was too healthy," William Cox said.

Now suspicions are arising as the radiologist from Staten Island is the latest tourist to die in that country, though all the deaths have not been linked, and are in different hotels.

"My mother never had heart problems," said Cox. "She was in good health and when you see all these red flags come up and you know all these people dying and when it happens to you yourself and you see all the misdirection I've been dealing with, I'm not suspicious, I'm certain."

William says he doesn't know the circumstances surrounding his mother's death. The US Embassy hasn't released that information. But what's even more concerning is that the Dominican Republic isn't doing toxicology testing unless the autopsy suggests it, and those results could take up to three months.

All of the deaths happening in DR are suspicious, given the fact that the number is rising daily now that the word is out. So I agree, maybe a post or forum section where we can discuss all the deaths with shady surroundings is a good idea.

Their toxicology machines are broken? All of them? I have no words for almost every post in this thread. (Which is why I added the drowning post earlier. I am suspicious of the causes of death for all of these otherwise healthy people in DR, at this point. There are conflicting causes of death on some of these, too, which in itself is sketchy. MOO.) But I'll stick to heart attacks and edema in this thread. :)

Has this death been counted yet?

https://nypost.com/2019/06/14/family-reveals-another-tourists-mystery-death-in-dominican-republic/

"Jerry Curran, 78, passed away on Jan. 26, three days after arriving in the country with his wife Janet, his family told WKYC 3."
Four causes of death were given — pulmonary edema, cerebral hypoxia, subdural hematoma and severe encephalitic cranial trauma — and the time listed on his death certificate is 11 hours later than when Brown received the heartbreaking call.

“One of them is pulmonary edema, which seems to be common in everyone else who’s passed that we’re learning about,” Brown said

Cause of Md. Couple's Death in Dominican Could Take a Month

This is absurd. What we need is boots on the ground so to speak in the DR. We need workers/witnesses interviewed immediately and on site investigation done by our FBI. Valuable evidence is gone. It is not enough to merely test samples in a lab in the U.S. Even the stated causes of death may not be accurate.

Sounds like her cause of death will remain "heart attack" as the family can't afford a toxicology report. Furthermore, she is going to be cremated. And finally, they don't report which hotel she stayed at or the circumstances surrounding her death, so mods, please delete if appropriate. Extremely sad, horrible and frustrating.

"It is unclear who found Cox or if she died in one of the hotels where six other US tourists have unexpectedly passed away in the past 12 months...

"The woman’s family said they could not afford the cost of their own toxicology report and is following her wishes by cremating her body before returning her ashes to the US."

Another article I found quotes the son saying this:

“I don’t know how she died. I don’t know where she died — I know it was in a hotel. I don’t know if she was in a room or at the bar,” Will said in a phone interview.

“The Dominican Republic has not released an autopsy report. They will not do a toxicology report on her because they say the toxicology machines in the Dominican Republic are broken,” Will added.

https://nypost.com/2019/06/14/son-o...told-countrys-toxicology-machines-are-broken/

Well that's convenient that all their toxicology machines are broken. Sounds like they are covering up.

Four causes of death were given — pulmonary edema, cerebral hypoxia, subdural hematoma and severe encephalitic cranial trauma — and the time listed on his death certificate is 11 hours later than when Brown received the heartbreaking call.

“One of them is pulmonary edema, which seems to be common in everyone else who’s passed that we’re learning about,” Brown said

Pulmonary edema is not a commonly noted cause of an unanticipated death in the US.

It is generally a very specific finding. I'm thinking the coroner is embelishing on some minor findings and just throwing out a lot of medical findings to make it sound like a scholarly study. And no toxicology. Not even a blood alcohol level as I understand it.

'Just don't go': US tourist warns after nightmare Dominican Republic trip

A Florida man who recently got sick with a mysterious illness while on vacation in the Dominican Republic is warning other people to just avoid visiting altogether amid recent mysterious deaths of American tourists on the island.

"Don't go, just don't go," Jerry Martin said.

Martin and his wife were staying at the Caribe Club Princess Beach Resort and Spa in Punta Cana last month for their 40th wedding anniversary.

They arrived May 17 and within just a few days Martin reportedly became sick with severe stomach pains while he was swimming in the pool.

Martin returned home to Florida where he visited the emergency room.

Now this could very important for the FBI’s investigation. I wonder if they took blood, etc at the ER and if these samples were retained.

I wonder how long his sickness lasted, etc.

Finally there is a report from someone other than an American!

Brit couple ‘poisoned by air con’ in Dominican Republic 'death' resort

ETA I hope they are in contact with the MD couple’s family because this sounds like this could have been exactly what caused their deaths in the same hotel.

“When I arrived at the hospital they gave me an ECG, chest x-rays, blood tests and gave me a nebuliser to help with my breathing.

“The doctors believe the symptoms I was having were the result of me breathing in these chemicals – whatever they were – in our room.””

Now this could very important for the FBI’s investigation. I wonder if they took blood, etc at the ER and if these samples were retained.

I wonder how long his sickness lasted, etc.
Could be more than one cause for the illnesses and deaths - tainted alcohol here, pesticides there, bad a/c, etc. The problem could be a country with widespread corruption in safety and legal regulations, not limited to one thing.

IDK, speculation only.

jmo

“When I arrived at the hospital they gave me an ECG, chest x-rays, blood tests and gave me a nebuliser to help with my breathing.

“The doctors believe the symptoms I was having were the result of me breathing in these chemicals – whatever they were – in our room.””
Any info on if resort employees are also falling sick?

jmo

More at the link.

WHAT??! :eek: :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads