CO CO - Kelsey Berreth, 29, Woodland Park, Teller County, 22 Nov 2018 - #53 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if a tooth fragment was found in sole of his boots or on the mop they found at Franch? If I remember correctly, at one time, the defense said this piece of evidence was not as critical as originally thought. Thus in my thinking might mean that it was found in association with other dna evidence that was testable like blood or tissue.

This guy isn’t some serial killer. He’s a sociopath for sure, but let’s not blow this out of proportion.

This was a personal crime, committed for his own screwed up reasons.
And you personally know this how? No one is intentionally blowing anything out of proportion. If he is capable of one murder, he is capable of 50. Truth is, no one knows. A murderer is a murderer.

I wonder if a tooth fragment was found in sole of his boots or on the mop they found at Franch? If I remember correctly, at one time, the defense said this piece of evidence was not as critical as originally thought. Thus in my thinking might mean that it was found in association with other dna evidence that was testable like blood or tissue.

If I recall correctly, when they said it wasn't as important as they thought, I thought they were referring to the evidence that was collected out of state? Does someone have a better recollection than I?

Kelsey Berreth remains possibly found as tooth fragment found at killer fiance Patrick Frazee farm | Daily Mail Online
A tooth fragment has been discovered on the property of accused killer Patrick Frazee, seven months after his fiancee disappeared without a trace.

That tooth will now be tested for DNA after Judge Scott Sells approved the prosecution's motion for consumptive evidence testing, a process used on smaller sample that ultimately results in their destruction.

It is unclear when or how that fragment was found, but it is known that Frazee's mistress Krystal Kenney had shown authorities the spot where she alleges Berreth's body was burned by the father of her young daughter.

Kenney also told police that Frazee dislodged Berreth's teeth from her skull when he bludgeoned her with a baseball bat inside her own home on Thanksgiving.

[...]

If I recall correctly, when they said it wasn't as important as they thought, I thought they were referring to the evidence that was collected out of state? Does someone have a better recollection than I?
What I recall about the Idaho evidence was that they were concerned about how to transport it back to Colorado.

Re: the consumptive testing,

Sam Kraemer on Twitter
Now on consumptive testing. Prosecution says since Monday, they’ve learned the evidence isn’t as critical as once thought. @KOAA #PatrickFrazee #KelseyBerreth
1:32 PM - 4 Jan 2019

Tooth fragment could shed light in case of missing Woodland Park woman Kelsey Berreth
[...]

Fourth Judicial District Judge Scott Sells ruled that the Colorado Bureau of Investigation may destroy the tooth fragment if necessary in order to test it for blood and DNA evidence, batting down concerns by attorneys for the fiancee accused of killing her.

[...]

Attorneys for Patrick Frazee, 33, had objected to some of CBI’s policies when the defense asks to have experts present during testing, including a requirement that those experts be subjected to a background check and that they submit a cheek swab for DNA analysis.

Citing testimony heard Friday by a CBI scientist, Sells ruled that the swabs are necessary to rule out possible DNA contributors in the case of sample contamination at the lab, and said the background checks weren't intrusive.

The defense has two weeks to identify the expert who will attend the testing, at which time a test will be scheduled, prosecutors said. They declined to provide further details or to characterize the importance of the testing.

[...]

Prosecutors have yet to decide whether they will pursue the death penalty in the case, El Paso County District Attorney Dan May said at a news conference afterward.

Frazee is due to return Aug. 23 for an all-day pre-trial motions hearing.

KOAA News5‏Verified account @KOAA
NEW INFORMATION: Prosecutor says piece of tooth found at the #Frazee property is the evidence that requires consumptive testing. Judge allows testing of that evidence to proceed. #KelseyBerreth
10:15 AM - 14 Jun 2019

Judge rules that testing can begin on piece of tooth found at Frazee property

Prosecutor Jennifer Viehman confirmed the piece of evidence was a piece of a tooth that was recovered from the Frazee property. This was the first time prosecutors have commented on what the piece of evidence is and where that evidence was recovered.
[...]

Frazee’s defense team objected to the testing over concerns about policies that a defense expert would have to follow at the testing lab.

Caitlin Rogers, a forensic scientist with the Colorado Bureau of Investigation, said in court that guests who observe the testing would be required to undergo a background check and take a buccal swab to ensure there is no contamination.

The defense argued those requirements were intrusive and should not have been allowed. However, Judge Scott Sells disagreed, saying both are important to the testing of the evidence. He granted permission for testing to begin.

The defense said they would identify the expert that would be selected to oversee the testing within two weeks.

As outlined in court, the expert for the defense would be allowed to witness the sample prep, DNA extract and quantification of the evidence. If there is enough evidence to split the piece of evidence in two, guidelines would call for the expert to leave because the defense can then do its own testing of the other portion of the sample.

If it indeed tests positive as Kelsey's that would be awesome for the State. No explaining how a deceased person's tooth fragment ended up there. Please let it be!

Exactly. Unless he was her dentist (and even at that it would be creepy), having her tooth would be impossible to innocently explain.

What I recall about the Idaho evidence was that they were concerned about how to transport it back to Colorado.

Re: the consumptive testing,

Sam Kraemer on Twitter
Now on consumptive testing. Prosecution says since Monday, they’ve learned the evidence isn’t as critical as once thought. @KOAA #PatrickFrazee #KelseyBerreth
1:32 PM - 4 Jan 2019

Well alrighty then, that dampens what I'm thinking about this might be the bomb show if the prosecution said way back then it wasn't so critical.

"Sam Kraemer on Twitter
1:32 PM - 4 Jan 2019"

KOAA News5‏Verified account @KOAA
NEW INFORMATION: Prosecutor says piece of tooth found at the #Frazee property is the evidence that requires consumptive testing. Judge allows testing of that evidence to proceed. #KelseyBerreth
10:15 AM - 14 Jun 2019

Judge rules that testing can begin on piece of tooth found at Frazee property

Prosecutor Jennifer Viehman confirmed the piece of evidence was a piece of a tooth that was recovered from the Frazee property. This was the first time prosecutors have commented on what the piece of evidence is and where that evidence was recovered.
[...]

Frazee’s defense team objected to the testing over concerns about policies that a defense expert would have to follow at the testing lab.

Caitlin Rogers, a forensic scientist with the Colorado Bureau of Investigation, said in court that guests who observe the testing would be required to undergo a background check and take a buccal swab to ensure there is no contamination.

The defense argued those requirements were intrusive and should not have been allowed. However, Judge Scott Sells disagreed, saying both are important to the testing of the evidence. He granted permission for testing to begin.

The defense said they would identify the expert that would be selected to oversee the testing within two weeks.

As outlined in court, the expert for the defense would be allowed to witness the sample prep, DNA extract and quantification of the evidence. If there is enough evidence to split the piece of evidence in two, guidelines would call for the expert to leave because the defense can then do its own testing of the other portion of the sample.

RBBM

So, we wait at least two weeks for the results?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther