Dominican Republic - American tourists found dead in resorts, same cause of death, 2018/2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like her cause of death will remain "heart attack" as the family can't afford a toxicology report. Furthermore, she is going to be cremated. And finally, they don't report which hotel she stayed at or the circumstances surrounding her death, so mods, please delete if appropriate. Extremely sad, horrible and frustrating.

"It is unclear who found Cox or if she died in one of the hotels where six other US tourists have unexpectedly passed away in the past 12 months...

"The woman’s family said they could not afford the cost of their own toxicology report and is following her wishes by cremating her body before returning her ashes to the US."

Another article I found quotes the son saying this:

“I don’t know how she died. I don’t know where she died — I know it was in a hotel. I don’t know if she was in a room or at the bar,” Will said in a phone interview.

“The Dominican Republic has not released an autopsy report. They will not do a toxicology report on her because they say the toxicology machines in the Dominican Republic are broken,” Will added.

https://nypost.com/2019/06/14/son-o...told-countrys-toxicology-machines-are-broken/

what?!!

No the food was at the destination hence why we didn’t eat anything as I said it was a few tents in the middle of nowhere and a couple of toilets and a few random women dishing up food. Like you said when you have been drinking you probably don’t care what food you are given or where you are at. On the trip we got to see most of the island but it was awful to see the sheer poverty on display and makes you really appreciate what you have in life.

We got to visit a school and a classroom of kids spoke to us and everybody was joking and said in the UK/US this would never been allowed to happen a bunch of random tourists just turning up to a school and handing out sweets to kids and interacting with them. But for the kids I guess it’s fun for them to interact with loads of different tourists and they get treats at the end of it. We was told to take small treats for them so most people just took candy.

ETA

This is why I don’t muck around with Rice as it’s one of the worst things for food poisoning if not stored correctly once cooked. So somewhere like the Dominican I would never risk it.

You've ruined rice for me lol. Omg could you imagine if drunken strangers were handing out candy to kids in the US/UK because the school was a stop for tourists. Hopefully the DR protects there kids from getting kidnapped or exploited. If you hadn't gotten sick would you have had fun or felt that your vacation was well spent?

https://nypost.com/2019/04/09/missing-ny-tourist-couple-was-warned-about-being-mugged/
This article I thought was interesting. It talks about driving from a hotel or resort to the airport was a long drive for the couple. It made it seem like tourists have to worry about being robbed on the road. If you want to build up tourism making it safe would be a good start. It seems like these hotels take your money and don't live up to their end of the deal. If they are promising all inclusive fun, guests shouldn't dread the drive to the airport or feel lucky to come home alive.

Thanks for posting this. I was on a local news site and read about the couple a few minutes ago. Does Daniel have a thread of her own? She should. I can't even imagine what her mother has been through. Places that are dependant on tourism like resorts and cruise ships, don't have much of an incentive to be forthcoming if a crime or death reflects badly on them.
<rsbm>

Yes, on topic are as you say, heart attack/edema/GI in hotels in the Dominican. Off topic in this thread are posts that are general misadventure, general crime, and personal anecdotes.
The moderators have asked us to stay on topic in this thread and have set certain on topic criteria. That’s why the Canadian deaths have not been discussed further on this thread even tho the death surrounding Danielle is at best suspicious. I agree she deserves her own thread if one doesn’t already exist.

You've ruined rice for me lol. Omg could you imagine if drunken strangers were handing out candy to kids in the US/UK because the school was a stop for tourists. Hopefully the DR protects there kids from getting kidnapped or exploited. If you hadn't gotten sick would you have had fun or felt that your vacation was well spent?

https://nypost.com/2019/04/09/missing-ny-tourist-couple-was-warned-about-being-mugged/
This article I thought was interesting. It talks about driving from a hotel or resort to the airport was a long drive for the couple. It made it seem like tourists have to worry about being robbed on the road. If you want to build up tourism making it safe would be a good start. It seems like these hotels take your money and don't live up to their end of the deal. If they are promising all inclusive fun, guests shouldn't dread the drive to the airport or feel lucky to come home alive.

Even if I had not got sick I would not of gone back. I didn’t enjoy the lack of hygiene, I felt ripped off because of our trip. I felt like if we had had a bigger issue we would of gotten zero help. I didn’t enjoy that we had gunman at the end of our resort ( guarding the resort apparently ) and we could follow the coast line for miles but we had to sign out so that if something happened to us they knew we was missing. I am glad I experienced it but it wasn’t what I was expecting and i definitely would not go back there. I can definitely see why people would get sick in such a location after experiencing it myself. Even in a 5* resort you still have people working there that wouldn’t have the western idea of hygiene and all that entails. With such poverty on the island as well you are obviously open to corruption as well I feel like on our trip.

IMO

The moderators have asked us to stay on topic in this thread and have set certain on topic criteria. That’s why the Canadian deaths have not been discussed further on this thread even tho the death surrounding Danielle is at best suspicious. I agree she deserves her own thread if one doesn’t already exist.

Sorry if I was off topic. Maybe there needs to be a more broad thread in a different category. Sharing information about potentially dangerous vacation spots or hotels is helpful. The people that have died mysteriously in hotel rooms is beyond weird. There is a lack of concern for the safety of tourists in general though.

All of the deaths happening in DR are suspicious, given the fact that the number is rising daily now that the word is out. So I agree, maybe a post or forum section where we can discuss all the deaths with shady surroundings is a good idea.

Their toxicology machines are broken? All of them? I have no words for almost every post in this thread. (Which is why I added the drowning post earlier. I am suspicious of the causes of death for all of these otherwise healthy people in DR, at this point. There are conflicting causes of death on some of these, too, which in itself is sketchy. MOO.) But I'll stick to heart attacks and edema in this thread. :)

I smell bs.

Seems like the medical community is in on it. Pay some one to spike the alcohol or sabotage the air filters at different resorts and shake them down for a few hundred at the resort and maybe a couple of grand at the local hospital. Because they are paying shills to spike it or plant it, the method isn’t exact and they lose a few along the way. Medical community covers for it, “heart attack”, nothing to see here, move along. “Sorry we won’t sign to send the bodies back without cremation”. IMOO, just a thought.

That's how I'm seeing it. At first, I thought the hotel workers were stealing booze and filling it up with contaminated alcohol, so it's accidentally killing guests. But, it may go much further. Absolute corruption.

I just read this article and am completely dumbfounded. I understand everyone's circumstance is different but how could the family allow the Dominican Republic to cremate her without getting her back of to America to run some tox screens and get a second opinion from a ME?!

There is something major going on over there....they could have likely got funding to bring her home with the current viral platform and get those additional tests run o_O What a shame.

MOO

It is absolute BS! The Dominican Republic is likely going to lose millions with this scandal and they are choosing to be shady and corrupt which only makes them look worse.

Who in their right mind would go there after this? :eek:

MOO

you'd be surprised tourists will still go, but those reading the news won't and take their tourist money elsewhere.

I read an article this morning that stated after the Jonestown Massacre legislation was passed giving the FBI the authority to investigate any case when an American citizen is involved.

Also several former long term FBI agents have said in the media that the FBI is doing their own parallel investigation in the DR.

All who I've seen speak out publically says the FBI will get to the bottom of all of these sudden deaths, and what happened, why, and by whom. I agree.

I am sure any other country who have had their own citizens die suddenly are also on the ground working this case.

It would be interesting to know just how many tourists wound up having to go to a ER clinic or wound up in the hospital there with the same kind of symptoms.

Jmho

I am relieved to hear the FBI is involved. We need answers and for the truth to come to light. This is really scary, why isn't there a travel ban to the area until this is resolved? It would protect us and make the DR feel the heat.

Those local workers know what is going on. How many have died? How many birth defects or miscarriages from the possible chemicals being used? I'm curious about the number of cancer cases as well.

I wonder what health care really looks like over there. No surprise that "Public health regulation is very weak. The existing health care standards are 10 or 20 years old, and health professionals are certified by union-like professional associations."

Health Care - Dominican Republic

PEOPLE confirms that both the FBI and the CDC are investigating these strange deaths, but the agencies are not yet releasing further details.

According to Univision, Robin Bernstein, the ambassador of the United States to the Dominican Republic, said last week the recent high-profile incidents were isolated cases. “We have 2.7 million Americans who come to the country and the statistics is that this is a very … unique event,” Bernstein said. “They come to visit the beautiful beaches and enjoy the great culture. Unfortunately sometimes those things happen to people.

Another American Dies in the Dominican Republic: Leyla Cox, 53, Found Dead in Hotel Room

I am in awe of the public relations regarding this situation. YIKES!

Oh all the toxicology “machines” are broken in the DR? That’s convenient.

Here is my prior post about Forensic Toxicology

For what it's worth? ( Daily Mail article)

The family of Leyla Cox ( the last victim ) was told the toxicology machines in the DR were broken, so there was no toxicology done.

Staten Island woman, 53, is SEVENTH American to die under mysterious circumstances in Dominican | Daily Mail Online

It costs money to run a valid toxicology laboratory, not just in equipment but also in terms of technologists and supervising PhDs. I would think DR might just not have any quality Forensic Toxicology scientists and have to refer specimens to other countries. Which costs $$$.

My guess is that DR is not going to pay money to routinely do toxicology on the death of tourists. The broken machines is just a weak excuse.

A major hospital should have some basic toxicology testing: Blood alcohol, CO2 levels, maybe urine drug screens. Ethylene glycol poisoning can be suspected from other blood chemistries. I found a reference laboratory in DR which is accredited by the College of American Pathologists, which is a highly-regarded program of inspection of laboratories. I don't know if they do Forensic Toxicology, but I would assume they have the capacity to identify ethanol, methanol, isopropanol, ethlylene glycol and some other toxins /drugs in blood and urine of hospitalized patients, as these tests are not very difficult or expensive to run. And if they don't do the testing, they can send it internationally to another laboratory, such as in Mexico or US. So, this leads me to believe the DR Medical Examiners do have some options for toxicology.

Referencia Laboratorio Clinico
Sede Central
Avenida Luperon #3 Esq Mirador Sur
Santo Domingo, DN -
Dominican Republic

And the terms "cardiac arrest", "pulmonary edema" "cerebral edema" are in most cases going to be accepted without challenge in the case of older tourists who have some known medical condition. They probably don't even do histologic examination of the organs.

I hope the FBI does issue information about the quality of DR Forensic Death examinations. I suspect it is very poor.

Edited to add: There are no CAP-accredited Forensic Toxicolgy Laboratories in DR listed in their website. They can be accredited by other agencies, so that doesn't exclude the possibility there is one, but I doubt it

Last edited:
Seems like the medical community is in on it. Pay some one to spike the alcohol or sabotage the air filters at different resorts and shake them down for a few hundred at the resort and maybe a couple of grand at the local hospital. Because they are paying shills to spike it or plant it, the method isn’t exact and they lose a few along the way. Medical community covers for it, “heart attack”, nothing to see here, move along. “Sorry we won’t sign to send the bodies back without cremation”. IMOO, just a thought.

1. There may also be a policy for commercial airlines when returning remains that they must be embalmed or cremated, for infection control purposes. This might not be specific to the DR, but the policy for international carriers into the US. I can see the logic behind this and DR officials are likely bound by this. This may not be the case for military or other LE purposes when a case is taken by the US LE (like FBI).

2. All medical services for USAnians are going to be cash-only as most all major US insurances, Medicare, and Medicaid will not pay DR hospitals. Medicare & Medicaid, specifically do not cover healthcare outside the US. Other policies may reimburse you, but only after you have paid up front. That's common in less prosperous c0untries - you pay for everything up front- the room, the doctors, the nurses, the gloves, the IV's, the drugs, even food. You pay cash $$

There are specific medical evacuation insurance programs (like MedJet) that will fly you in a private plane, or commercial plane if it is safer, back to any hospital in the US. After traveling extensively and seeing someone get gravely injured, I have a MedJet policy and keep it up !

Last edited:
Um, resort employees are not buying "branded " liquors. They have home brews. They don't need to drink expensive status brand stuff
Maybe you quoted the wrong post, as I wasn't commenting on what liquor they drink, but rather if any employees have gotten ill perhaps even died from insecticides or whatever chemicals are causing this problem. IMO they very likely wouldn’t feel free to speak out, and the resorts probably would keep it hush hush, as will the government. Again, JMO

Last edited:
Maybe you quoted the wrong post, as I wasn't commenting on what liquor they drink, but rather if any employees have gotten ill perhaps even died from insecticides or whatever chemicals are causing this problem. IMO they very likely wouldn’t feel free to speak out, and the resorts probably would keep it hush hush. Again, JMO

I think there are a couple of different issues about illnesses occuring in US visitors to the DR.

1. Acute or very rapid sudden death

2. Gastrointestinal -type diseases in a party ruining the trip for everyone

3. Respiratory distress, neurologic symptoms, rashes, etc in people with possibly exposure to pesticides.

I was commenting about #1, but I think your concerns are more about #3, which I can understand.

No the food was at the destination hence why we didn’t eat anything as I said it was a few tents in the middle of nowhere and a couple of toilets and a few random women dishing up food. Like you said when you have been drinking you probably don’t care what food you are given or where you are at. On the trip we got to see most of the island but it was awful to see the sheer poverty on display and makes you really appreciate what you have in life.

We got to visit a school and a classroom of kids spoke to us and everybody was joking and said in the UK/US this would never been allowed to happen a bunch of random tourists just turning up to a school and handing out sweets to kids and interacting with them. But for the kids I guess it’s fun for them to interact with loads of different tourists and they get treats at the end of it. We was told to take small treats for them so most people just took candy.

ETA

This is why I don’t muck around with Rice as it’s one of the worst things for food poisoning if not stored correctly once cooked. So somewhere like the Dominican I would never risk it.
I had no idea about the rice issue, good information to have, TU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
?Unicorn/Fkboi?