TX TX - Huntsville, 'Walker County Jane Doe', WhtFem 14-16, 91UFTX, Nov'80 #2 *NAME NOT RELEASED*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who do you think killer her and where do you think she came from?
To be honest, that's difficult for me to answer since overall there is very little of this case to go off of. To answer simply, I believe it was a truck driver who killed her (either that was at the Hitch N'Post where she stopped) or a truck driver who encountered her after.

Where do I think she came from? That question I don't have a for sure answer or theory. Most times, I feel we don't have any reason to doubt she's from Aransas Pass/Rockport. Other times, I think she may have used Aransas Pass/Rockport as a point of reference (maybe that was the last major place she was picked up hitchhiking). When I research other Jane Doe cases that have been identified, some are found many states away from where they are originally from. It's possible WCJD could be from Louisiana, tried hitchhiking to the Ellis Prison unit from there, passed through Aransas Pass/Rockport, and used that as a point reference when asked where she was from to hide the fact she was young and far away from home when the waitress asked. But then again, a lot of the theory that she came from Lester Roloff's Rebekah Home for Girls sounds very possible.

To be honest, that's difficult for me to answer since overall there is very little of this case to go off of. To answer simply, I believe it was a truck driver who killed her (either that was at the Hitch N'Post where she stopped) or a truck driver who encountered her after.

Where do I think she came from? That question I don't have a for sure answer or theory. Most times, I feel we don't have any reason to doubt she's from Aransas Pass/Rockport. Other times, I think she may have used Aransas Pass/Rockport as a point of reference (maybe that was the last major place she was picked up hitchhiking). When I research other Jane Doe cases that have been identified, some are found many states away from where they are originally from. It's possible WCJD could be from Louisiana, tried hitchhiking to the Ellis Prison unit from there, passed through Aransas Pass/Rockport, and used that as a point reference when asked where she was from to hide the fact she was young and far away from home when the waitress asked. But then again, a lot of the theory that she came from Lester Roloff's Rebekah Home for Girls sounds very possible.

Last week I researched the affiliate location of Rebekah Home in Louisiana...I read teens were saying there were abused and started running away...I'm sure all the runaways hid where they came from so they wouldn't get sent back...

WCJD could be from the general area but in a small town...LE may want to promote the case in Corpus Christi (or other big city in the area) since all the small towns may pick up the news from a larger regional station...

Maybe the reply to the waitress of..who cares...was because she was upset with her family for not wanting her to go /or provide transportation to the prison. She decided to hitchhike, and got into the wrong vehicle....
Just not sure then, why they wouldn't have reported her missing...but then look at the Marcia king case.

Re: visitation policy, I’ve read through several older TDCJ handbooks and general employee training manuals or standard of operations PDFs and for the most part I gather not much has changed. In that case, inmates are allowed a certain amount of “approved visitors” in their file. Anyone under the age of 17 does not have to be listed as they are considered minors but they DO have to be accompanied by an adult who is on that approved list. The list can be changed every so often...I can’t recall exactly but I want to say every 3 or 6 months maybe, and sometimes that was up to the “discretion” of the warden. Visitors were required to provide a valid Driver’s License each time they visited. Photo, address, and *could not be expired*. Naturally, there would be certain people who would not be allowed to visit, I.e. victims, victim’s family members, convicted felons who were still on parole/probation, and anyone the Warden chose to deny. Visits last 2 hours, or 4 hours if visitors have travelled further than 300 miles and gotten prior approval from a Warden. (These are things that I’ve seen vary depending on the prison, inmate’s custody status or disciplinary record, and again the Warden’s discretion); regular visits were allowed once a week either Saturday or Sunday and only two adults were allowed to visit. Some units run visitation everyday of the week but the 2 hours/2 adults by in large is universal policy. These units are usually maximum security who do not allow contact visits, so it works out for staff because they aren’t having to utilize 4-6 officers for an entire shift to directly supervise a large room full of inmates and visitors at one time. Attorneys are allowed to visit just about anytime and usually as long as they need. It’s preferred that they schedule ahead of time but there’s not much give and take when it comes to those visits. Now, Death row is a different story and one I’m not completely familiar with. They are NOT allowed contact visits under any circumstance that I’m aware of. I’m sure that the length of visits is the same but I think the process of approving visitors is a little different. Most are going to have media interview requests and things of that nature. I’m not positive about that or the days that visitation is run. When I was there about 8 or so years ago, visitation was everyday, but that (and all of these things) could have changed since then! Then, there are inevitably going to be those officers who would turn a cheek to certain things or bend the rules for certain people, so even though I’m willing to bet WCJD would NOT have been allowed to visit any anymore there (considering age and lack of ID), there’s always that small chance she or whoever she was visiting had “arranged” for her to be let in! That is certainly not a possibility I’d dismiss!

I realize this information is not likely to bring us any closer to finding her identity, but I hope it helps when looking at people she may have been trying to visit or sheds some light on something that could help put the pieces together!

Always,
•MMcG•

Just out of interest, did 1980 Huntsville have a local radio or TV station? That might have drawn her to the area too, as i can imagine the type of radio programs that were newly emerging in 1980 joking about being near an important prison. Less so a TV program, but every avenue should be explored.

Your comment got me thinking...and I inadvertently stumbled upon this article. Definitely news to me! But quite interesting...

Prison Radio Show is Inmates' Link to the Outside World

I would think that she had been in touch with the person she was going to see. Would she just take off heading to the prison without knowing if she would be able to see him? IMO she wouldn't blindly go without contact from the person she was to see. If she did have contact he most likely have to call her collect, there would have been some record of that call.

I always wondered if she was using more as a landmark on her way to somewhere near it. A prison is a very clear destination that a lot of people would be familiar with.

I always wondered if she was using more as a landmark on her way to somewhere near it. A prison is a very clear destination that a lot of people would be familiar with.
That is a possibility! I don’t know what her destination could have been, Ellis was quite always out of town. But with so many prisons in Huntsville she could have just had the wrong one ... so many possibilities

That is a possibility! I don’t know what her destination could have been, Ellis was quite always out of town. But with so many prisons in Huntsville she could have just had the wrong one ... so many possibilities

Could the person she asked for directions have misremembered that conversation by the time they spoke with LE?

Huntsville has a college...She was possibly seen with a couple of guys..I wonder if LE went to the college to find out if anyone gave her a ride or saw her...

I recall hearing about Autry, a younger man on Texas death row...Did anyone already suggest Charles Francis Rumbaugh as the person she went to see...He committed his crime at 17 & was sentenced to death...He was from San Angelo, TX...

In 1972 the Supreme Court declared the death penalty unconstitutional...It was reinstated around 1976....All inmates on death row (including those in jail) were resentenced...That's how Kenneth McDuff would eventually receive parole and Charles Manson was resentenced to LWOP....Texas didn't execute another prison until 1982 (1st inmate in the US killed with lethal injection)...

If WCJD went to the Ellis Unit in 1980, I don't think they had very many inmates...Whatever crime they committed had to happen a few years prior...

**Just before Rumbaugh's execution he wrote a final statement...He said it could be read in 13 years...Just wondering if LE read it and what did he say...

I haven’t read anywhere that he raped his victims either. I see where he was arrested for an attempted rape once. Maybe he wasn’t able to even if he wanted to. If he did kill WCJD, maybe that’s why she was raped with objects instead. Murderers do that when they physically can’t do it.

I don’t think Sam Little is a Henry Lee Lucas wannabe. He has over 60 confirmed murders so far out of the 93 he confessed to.

Sorry it took so long to find the video...I watch a lot of documentaries and I couldn't remember what YT channel it was on...Not all have info on the killing of his mother, landlord and Toole's niece...Another thing I forgot about the first time I watched it, but Henry Lee Lucas drew pics of his alleged victims...

Huntsville has a college...She was possibly seen with a couple of guys..I wonder if LE went to the college to find out if anyone gave her a ride or saw her...

I recall hearing about Autry, a younger man on Texas death row...Did anyone already suggest Charles Francis Rumbaugh as the person she went to see...He committed his crime at 17 & was sentenced to death...He was from San Angelo, TX...

In 1972 the Supreme Court declared the death penalty unconstitutional...It was reinstated around 1976....All inmates on death row (including those in jail) were resentenced...That's how Kenneth McDuff would eventually receive parole and Charles Manson was resentenced to LWOP....Texas didn't execute another prison until 1982 (1st inmate in the US killed with lethal injection)...

If WCJD went to the Ellis Unit in 1980, I don't think they had very many inmates...Whatever crime they committed had to happen a few years prior...

**Just before Rumbaugh's execution he wrote a final statement...He said it could be read in 13 years...Just wondering if LE read it and what did he say...

I wouldn't wait 13 years to read it if I was LE. I would read it as the needle was being inserted, and make sure the killer knew it was being read at that moment. Hopefully LE did the same.

Another interesting article I stumbled upon during some research. Carol of course is not WCJD but I found some uncanny similarities in their disappearances, not so much discovery or murder.
  1. Carol was living in San Antonio/Austin areas in 79/80
  2. Carol had ties to at least two institutions for girls that have been largely suspected in WCJD’s case (and a new one that I hadn’t heard of specifically) All in the same region of Texas or their sister location(s) in Louisiana, also in 79/80
  3. Carol was also suspected to have been recognized in a photograph of the girls’ group
  4. Carol came from a ‘broken’ home but didn’t seem to abused or suffer from any type of blatant neglect, as I suspect might be the case of WCJD
  5. Carol left the PDAP in October 1980; same month WCJD was discovered
  6. Carol also had recently painted fingernails (WCJD had painted toenails but that detail has always stood out to me)
As I stated, their discovery and deaths are not similar in any way I can see, but aside from that there are quite a few similarities. In fact, the man who discovered Carol, John R. Chesson who was convicted in an unrelated murder, has remained a suspect in her death. My thinking was that possibly they had been at PDAP before or during October 1980 and both decided to run away at the same time? Maybe headed to different places or arriving at a relative’s of Carol and after a short stay decided to part ways? WCJD making her way south and Carol en route to Louisiana. That would explain WCJD’s late October murder and discovery and Carol’s subsequent murder in December 1980. WCJD could also have traveled to Louisiana with Carol and then relatively easily made her way back west by way of the gulf coast cities

Just some thoughts. Maybe they had cross paths at one of the girls’ homes. I’ve read so many blogs about the different institutions and they seem to have been pretty tight knit, some ‘survivors’ even recalled being transferred from one state to the other without notice to them or their parents. For disciplinary reasons or undisclosed (I can only imagine) reasons. There may be something in the names written in Carol’s shoes. They led nowhere in her case, I know, but if two girls could be connected to one place it might open up the possibility for new leads?

This is just a WikiPedia link, as it is what I came across in the first place. I have not done further digging to see if their could possibly be more evidence of a connection...

Murder of Carol Cole - Wikipedia

Carol Ann Cole AKA ‘Bossier’s Doe’17y/o
Found in Bellevue, Bossier Parish, Louisiana on January 28, 1981 (ETD: December 1980)

“Cole and her sister Linda "Jeanie" Phelps lived in Kalamazoo, Michigan, primarily under the care of their grandmother after their mother and father divorced. Later in life, Carol decided to leave Kalamazoo to accompany her mother, Sue to San Antonio, Texas in 1979 at age 15 but remained in contact with her sister by telephone. Cole was at a girl's home run by the Palmer Drug Abuse Program, also called PDAP, on West 23rd St. Austin, Texas from May to October 1980. She continued to call and mail letters to her family, which eventually ceased in late December 1980. A location that Cole had stayed after leaving PDAP was traced by her grandmother in Kalamazoo to a home Shreveport, Louisiana. Her grandmother called the residence where she was informed that Cole had departed to attend a party but she had never returned. Linda Phelps and her friend Patty Thorington continued to search for her, but were unsuccessful. Cole had been previously excluded as a possible identity of the victim by a medical examiner for unknown reasons. Some sources state that Cole may have spent time at a religious institution known as the New Bethany School for Girls, which was located in Arcadia, Louisiana.Her sister noted that an image taken around the time of Cole's disappearance at the school depicted a group of girls sitting in pews, one of whom bore a strong resemblance to her sister. Investigators have followed such leads. A woman claimed to have spent time with a girl that bore likeness to Cole but was unable to recall her name. Some also believe that the explanation for the names written on the victim's shoes as well as the style of clothing may have been due to a dress code set in place by the New Bethany School for Girls.”
“...shoes with the names "Michael Brisco", "David", "Resha", and "D. Davies
"”

•I’m also including a few links regarding the “Rebekah House” in Texas and “New Bethany” in Louisiana. Ironically, I see most are related to Carol Ann, that since finding them I had forgotten about (a few I added after following other links on these). Some of these links may have been found on this thread, so forgive me ahead of time. Some of you may not have seen them though so in any case, here are the ones I have remembered to save!

REBEKAH HOUSE:

The Night Wind: PSA UPDATE: REBEKAH HOUSE ALUMNI PLEASE READ

The Night Wind: THANKSGIVING PSA UPDATE: PLEASE READ AND SHARE

Rebekah home for girls survivors

NEW BETHANY:

Survivor Snapshots from Teen-Home Hell

A family's three-decade search for missing Michigan teen turns to Louisiana - nola.com

The mystery of Carol Ann Cole – 1980

New Bethany Home for Girls endured 30 years of controversy, leaving former residents wondering why - nola.com

Friendship propelled 3-decade search for missing teen Carol Ann Cole - nola.com

Homicide detectives refocus on the man who found body of 'Bossier Doe' 34 years ago - nola.com
^^the girl thought to be Carol bears a slight resemblance to WCJD as well, FWIW^^

•MMcG•

Could the person she asked for directions have misremembered that conversation by the time they spoke with LE?
I think it’s highly likely that the witnesses DID get some of the details wrong! When it comes to witness statements, there is so much room for unconscious confusion! If you consider the job of a waitress and how many people they encounter daily, it makes it easier to imagine that it’s not reasonable to expect that EVERY employee will remember EVERY detail of each person they encounter throughout their shift. When dealing with a patron it’s unlikely you’re going to think “this person may become a victim of crime”... so I’m sure the witnesses tried their best to recall specific details and could have remembered things accurately, but for the most part would not have been able to recall everything exactly as it occurred. That is only in my experience however.

I think it’s highly likely that the witnesses DID get some of the details wrong! When it comes to witness statements, there is so much room for unconscious confusion! If you consider the job of a waitress and how many people they encounter daily, it makes it easier to imagine that it’s not reasonable to expect that EVERY employee will remember EVERY detail of each person they encounter throughout their shift. When dealing with a patron it’s unlikely you’re going to think “this person may become a victim of crime”... so I’m sure the witnesses tried their best to recall specific details and could have remembered things accurately, but for the most part would not have been able to recall everything exactly as it occurred. That is only in my experience however.

The word "prison" might stand especially if a young girl is asking for directions to one. Could she have gotten the name of the prison wrong? How long after she met the girl did she talk to the police? Witnesses are known to be unreliable and it's not their fault. Like you said you can't memorize every detail of everyone you meet.

I think it's possible WCJD was either assigned to the Rachel House (or affiliate) or a Texas Youth Commission (TYC) facility..

If her boyfriend/friend was Charles Rumbaugh he grew up in San Angelo, mental hospitals and reform schools...

"Rumbaugh, confined to prisons, reform schools, juvenile centers and mental hospitals for all but five months since age 13"

ARTICLE

"...Rumbaugh, who had admitted dozens of heists in Texas and Arkansas"

"After being declared a juvenile delinquent, he spent four years incarcerated at the Texas Youth Commission facilities at Gatesville and Mountain View."

"The juvenile institutions hardened his spirit and set the pattern for the rest of his life, said his brother, Rex Rumbaugh of San Angelo."

"Being in those schools took his youth away," Rex Rumbaugh said. "He never really had a chance in those schools."

"He shouldn't have been put in Gatesville (juvenile center) in the first place. He was first sent there for skipping school, and it was after that he got into auto theft and those things."

"The teen-aged Rumbaugh was on his way to Los Angeles, fleeing a shoot-out with police at the Downtowner motel in San Angelo when he stopped in Amarillo to visit his sister and pulled his last robbery, a crime that ended in murder and sent him to the Texas Death House."

ARTICLE

From what I read it seems that Gatesville State School was an all male school...A federal judge closed Gatesville and the boys were sent to Mountain View...Mountain View currently houses women prisoners and women on death row...

I'm unsure of Charles Rumbaugh's connection to AR, but I did find a MP missing from Hot Springs, AR...

3666DFAR.jpg

Margie Ada Snead
Case Classification: Endangered Missing
Missing Since: January 1, 1974
Location Last Seen: Hot Springs, Garland County, Arkansas

Physical Description
Date of Birth: circa 1955
Race: White
Height: 5'4"-5'5"
Weight: 150 lbs.
Hair Color: Dark brown/black (based on photograph)
Eye Color: Unknown, most likely brown (based on photograph)
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Unknown

Identifiers
Dentals: Not Available
Fingerprints: Not Available
DNA: Available
Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: Unknown
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Unknown

Circumstances of Disappearance
She was last heard from at an unknown address in Hot Springs, Arkansas in 1974. There is little information about Margie's case available.

NAMUS
DOENETWORK
WEBSLEUTHS

I tried to locate possible relatives... Some of the Snead's I came across had a connection to TX...It's possibly a coincidence...

WALKER COUNTY JANE DOE

91UFTX3.jpg
91UFTX7.jpg
91UFTX.jpg
91UFTX1.jpg
91UFTX4.jpg

(NAMUS)

UP4630
White / Caucasian
Date Found: November 1, 1980
Location Found: Walker County, TX

(DOENETWORK)

Hair Color:
Light brown, 10" long. Cut in wing fashion. Natural color, no evidence of color treatment.
Eye Color: Hazel
Distinguishing Marks/Features:
1 1/2" scar at end of right eyebrow (some agencies list scar on right elbow, but it was confirmed with LE that it is the eyebrow). Pierced ears. Toenails painted pink. Possibly had inverted right nipple.

Identifiers
Dentals: Available. Her teeth had been well cared for.
Fingerprints: Available. RT: X0 63 11 09 04; LT: XI DI 08 07 06.
DNA: Available - mtDNA in CODIS. Ref #F-2713.

Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: She may have been wearing jeans, a yellow shirt with large pockets, panties, and pantyhose. A pair of red leather high-heeled sandals, 3" or 4" inch platforms with light brown straps had been thrown beside the body. Pantyhose and underwear (descriptions unavailable) were found at the scene as well.
Jewelry: A rectangular-shaped pendant with a smoky blue glass stone on a very thin gold chain

NAMUS
FACEBOOK
DOENETWORK
NCMEC
ARTICLE (2018)

***WARNING....Some of the website links contain post-mortem photos of WCJD

The word "prison" might stand especially if a young girl is asking for directions to one. Could she have gotten the name of the prison wrong? How long after she met the girl did she talk to the police? Witnesses are known to be unreliable and it's not their fault. Like you said you can't memorize every detail of everyone you meet.

Yes, it’s very difficult and almost frustrating trying to remember details in situations like this! I’m sure they all spent awhile wondering “what if?...” I agree, “prison” would definitely be something to stand out although POSSIBLY a little less so considering the amount of prisons in the area...but a girl, seemingly lost and alone looking for a prison would catch my attention! I have thought a lot about the prison itself and if she might have gotten the name wrong. I think it’s more likely that WCJD got the name wrong than a local, ya know? Ellis was pretty unmistakable at that time for many reasons, including Death Row. So I’d venture to say Ms Doe could have been mixed up. I’ve wondered what the Witness drew for her, as far as the ‘map’ or directions that were allegedly given to her on a piece of paper? Has that ever been released? Or was it ever found? IIRC the witnesses came forward either the 1st or the 2nd of November.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo53