Identified! GA - Cherokee Co, Remains in Woods Behind Home on Purcell Ln, July 2018 - Gary Farris *wife arrested

Is there a member here who has a subscription to the Daily Report and can post the full article here?

Is there a member here who has a subscription to the Daily Report and can post the full article here?

I can only view the first few lines of it. That said, we are only allowed to copy 10% here. If a member wants to paraphrase what the rest says in their own words, that would be great!

Here's all I can see there:
Investigation Into Homicide of Burr & Forman Lawyer 'Still Active'
The Cherokee Sheriff’s Office “remains confident” that Gary Wayne Farris’ death “was not a stranger-on-stranger crime and Mr. Farris knew the suspects.”
Nearly three months after the body of the former managing partner of Burr & Forman’s Atlanta office was discovered in a wooded area of his Cherokee County estate, a spokesman for the Cherokee County Sheriff’s Office said his death “is still very much an active investigation.”
Investigation Into Homicide of Burr & Forman Lawyer 'Still Active' | Daily Report

What has been the speculation? All signs point to someone very close to him.

IMO speculation has to do with someone else that lived at that address (wife &/or adult son). But speculation is up in the air on who was involved or if both were involved. It seems that since his remains were burned it must be difficult to find enough evidence to make an arrest.

Melody%20Farris%20mugshot_1560951080436.jpg_15628778_ver1.0_640_360.jpg

CHEROKEE COUNTY, Ga. - The wife of a prominent Atlanta attorney found dead at a Cherokee County property has been charged with murder in his death.

In 2018, the body of Gary Farris was found in a wooded area behind a house on Purcell Lane.

After months of testing, the Georgia Bureau of Investigation determined Farris was killed by a gunshot.

Farris’ wife, Melody Farris, 59, of Alpharetta, was arrested in Tulahoma, Tennessee Tuesday night. Farris is charged with murder with malice, aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and concealing the death of another.

GARY FARRIS WIFE ARRESTED: Wife arrested, charged in death of prominent Atlanta attorney

Well, this was an OMG moment today. I just realized which Gary Farris this is, and who his Farris family members are. His sister and I worked together for many years, and she talked about her siblings fairly often. Every now and then, one of them would stop by the hospital with food or things for her.
His sister adored him, as the Farris children were very close in age.

I just wanted to say that his family of origin, the Farris family, was/ is a very fine, grounded, Christian family.
I know one of his sisters, having worked with her for over 20-25 years, and she's one of those people who would do ANYTHING to make her patients more comfortable and happy, and was a true joy to know and work with.

The children in the Farris family were stair steps. They were extremely close in age and all were what I'd call friendly competitive as they were all intelligent and driven to success.

What's missing in the retelling of Gary's last year or two of life is that he'd lost both his parents and his siblings have their own homes and families far and wide. His wife chose what was released about his demise and what wasn't.

Ironically, for almost a decade, I lived less than 5 miles from where he lived and died in GA, only I lived in East Cobb County, just a short jog from the Cherokee Co. line. I don't want to be rude but if he'd lived in Cobb. Co., likely this would have been solved a long time ago. The two departments are worlds apart in that Cobb Co. has its own Police Department, and they are super excellent.

This is their mother's obituary. It is from the Times- Daily online, which was our local newspaper before we all moved away.Betty Farris

Note the date. They lost their brother and their mother in close succession, and Mrs. Farris had suffered from Alzheimer's. Their father died several years before.

I'm sorry, but it has been mentioned that his family didn't put an obituary in the newspapers about his passing. I know these people, and since Melody didn't submit an obit. for publication, as was her duty and her right as his wife, I do NOT fault the remaining Farris siblings for not stepping up and doing so.
They were not a pushy family at all. They were/ are extremely kind people.

Also, they are extremely intelligent and may have suspected things about her from the start... and didn't want to cross her.
I know that his lovely sister who was, at one time, like a sister to me, would NEVER court danger in any way or provoke a person she thought might be dangerous.

If any of his family reads here, I'm so utterly devastated by what happened to Gary, and I wonder why I've failed to put the actions to the names. I didn't realize this was Tuscumbia's native son until today.
To his sister who's a retired RN, I will pray for your healing and strength to rise above the horror of what was done to Gary. You are an elegant lady with great faith and I know you firmly believe, as I do, that he's in Heaven and knows no more pain or sorrow. He deserved better than this, you all did!

Justice will be served. I know this is cold comfort but Melody won't hurt anyone else in jail, then prison.

Gary was a truly great man. I used to work closely with him and he was so wonderful to me. I will forever miss hearing him singing at the top of his voice in his office, while others around him would just giggle and shake their heads. This news was a long time coming and I hope that justice is served.

Noted that it has been listed for 49 days. Trying to raise money for a defense?

More than likely, the provenance of the house keeps away buyers in that price range.
It's obviously very rural ( yet close to the urban areas) and people tend to shy away from a property known for a violent death.
There are lots of drug problems in Cherokee County, or were when I lived in East Cobb County. I expect this has grown, not diminished, along with the population spread.

I know that we had 3 offers on our house not very far from this location the day it was listed for sale. There was a bidding war, we had an incompetent real estate broker who upset half of the qualified buyers who wanted to see the property, and there were people putting in offers long after it was sold and off the market. I'd say, then, that the house, barn and acreage should be a hot property for those who work in Roswell/ Alpharetta/ Marietta/ North Atlanta, and want a quiet retreat, but the history, which is still unfolding, IMO, may have damped down the queue of qualified buyers.

Also, I don't mean to be rude, but I looked at all 21 or so of the photos, and I would have guessed the house to be 10 years older than the realtor site's stated age. It's got way too much wallpaper and what I consider to be outdated colors...
However, this woman he was married to may have been strange for a long time. In the " pink" bedroom, there are 3 beds. 2 twin sized as for little girls, and opposite those two beds, one full or queen sized bed. Who, other than Ethan Couch, the Texas " affluenza teen" who grew up with a very disturbed mother, slept with an adult in the room and able to watch every move?

IDK, but it was surprising for me to realize there may have been 3 people sleeping in one room of a large house, or that a child and an adult may have shared a room at one point.

When there's a live in nanny or housekeeper, that person normally has their own wing or at least suite of rooms... not sharing their private space with the minor child or children they worked for at some point. ( I'm sure the children are all grown, and if an obituary ever comes out, we'll know more about the former composition of his family. Right now, only the adult offspring who found the charred remains has been mentioned, but as he was 58 and his wife was 59 when he was killed, they likely only had offspring over age 21).

Last edited:
Wife charged in attorney husband’s murder says she’s innocent

She was extradited late Wednesday from Tennessee to Cherokee County, where she faces charges of malice murder, aggravated assault and concealing a death. She was booked into the Cherokee County jail at 4 a.m. Thursday and is scheduled to have her first court appearance Friday afternoon.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190620-175044_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190620-175044_Chrome.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 8
Woman charged with murdering husband now in Cherokee jail

“A .380 caliber bullet was recovered from the charred remains of the victim. This investigation remains ongoing, but at this time no firearm has been recovered,” Baker said Wednesday morning. According to her arrest warrant, Gary Farris was shot more than once.

Detectives recovered evidence indicating Melody Farris shot and killed her husband inside their home and then tried to dispose of his body and evidence by burning it on their Purcell Lane property, Baker said Wednesday.

She is scheduled for a first appearance at 1 p.m. Friday before Cherokee County Magistrate Court Chief Judge James Drane.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back