The British Royal Family - news, views, clothes & shoes! #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
From African slave to royal princess: Writer unravels his astonishing link to the little girl Queen Victoria saved and adopted as her daughter

When Arnold Awoonor-Gordon first heard stories from his great-grandmother Emilie of how his great-great-grandmother had been the adopted daughter of Queen Victoria he 'thought they were the ramblings of an old lady'...

Princess Sarah was just five when she was captured by the merciless King of Dahomey in 1848.
Her family were killed in the war, as the daughter of an African chief
Sarah was kept in captivity as a state prisoner, either to be presented to an important visitor, or to be sacrificed at the death of a minister or official to become his attendant in the next world.

But before she too could be killed, British naval officer Frederick Forbes rescued her...
15078002-7166587-image-m-18_1561113732030.jpg

Sarah Forbes Bonetta the tenth child of Queen Victoria and her husband Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg after she was saved from slavers in Africa in 1850

The Queen was so enamored with the child, that she adopted her as her daughter and also made her a goddaughter. She was now safe, and went on to become quite an intellect, with a particular aptitude for music.

15078000-7166587-image-m-20_1561113745040.jpg

Queen Victoria later went on to arrange a marriage for her to wealthy businessman Captain James Davies

Writer uncovers truth behind Queen Victoria's adopted daughter

Marlo was delight! “That Girl” was groundbreaking in the late ‘60’s. It was the first show about a single woman not living with her family, pursuing a career. Although she had a boyfriend, she nixed the idea of marrying him in the last episode because of the message it would send. Ahead of her time!

I loved That Girl! It was on when I was in high school and remains one of my favorite TV shows ever :) That Girl aired on a night when I had ballet, so I made sure that I had my homework finished before ballet so I could watch That Girl when I got home. I especially loved Marlo's Coach purses and bought my first Coach bag with babysitting money. I've had a couple of Gucci purses over the years, Dior signature bags when they were trendy, but I've been a Coach girl since high school and That Girl.

From African slave to royal princess: Writer unravels his astonishing link to the little girl Queen Victoria saved and adopted as her daughter

When Arnold Awoonor-Gordon first heard stories from his great-grandmother Emilie of how his great-great-grandmother had been the adopted daughter of Queen Victoria he 'thought they were the ramblings of an old lady'...

Princess Sarah was just five when she was captured by the merciless King of Dahomey in 1848.
Her family were killed in the war, as the daughter of an African chief
Sarah was kept in captivity as a state prisoner, either to be presented to an important visitor, or to be sacrificed at the death of a minister or official to become his attendant in the next world.

But before she too could be killed, British naval officer Frederick Forbes rescued her...
15078002-7166587-image-m-18_1561113732030.jpg

Sarah Forbes Bonetta the tenth child of Queen Victoria and her husband Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg after she was saved from slavers in Africa in 1850

The Queen was so enamored with the child, that she adopted her as her daughter and also made her a goddaughter. She was now safe, and went on to become quite an intellect, with a particular aptitude for music.

15078000-7166587-image-m-20_1561113745040.jpg

Queen Victoria later went on to arrange a marriage for her to wealthy businessman Captain James Davies

Writer uncovers truth behind Queen Victoria's adopted daughter

Oh wow, this is amazing and something I had never even known about! I know what I’m reading up on today!

Thank you for sharing this ❤️

Oh wow, this is amazing and something I had never even known about! I know what I’m reading up on today!

Thank you for sharing this ❤️
No, neither had I :)

The article mentions Sarah's story features in the ITV series VICTORIA (which I also had no idea about lol) so here's a bit more about that :D
Her story was brought to life in the ITV television series Victoria, starring Jenna Coleman as Victoria and Zaris-Angel Hator as Princess Sarah.
Victoria
British television series
VictoriaITVIntertitle.png
Discover the epic story of Victoria, one of England’s youngest queens, starring Jenna Coleman and Rufus Sewell.
Victoria: Official Trailer
15078454-7166587-image-m-31_1561113864722.jpg

In the series, Princess Sarah is seen amazed by the snow in Britain
15079790-7166587-image-a-23_1561113791286.jpg

Victoria (British TV series) - Wikipedia

Well I just fell down a rabbit hole on YouTube! Thanks @Keine Engel :D:p (I mean that in a very good special way ❤️)

and came across this doc that I had forgotten about
I actually own it on VHS haha

Thought I share as I love it, gives some behind the scenes of them as a family once upon a time

And also a very interesting look on how intensive it is to book engagements, scheduling etc, the staff, all of it

Last edited:
:confused: Fans question Harry and Meghan's 'formal' message as they wish 'the Duke of Cambridge' a happy 37th birthday on Instagram - a day after their charity foundation split

Members of the royal family have taken to social media to wish Prince William well on his 37th birthday today, but fans have questioned a rather 'formal' message from Harry and Meghan.
15084080-7166541-Fans_questioned_Harry_and_Meghan_s_formal_birthday_greetings-m-3_1561120509377.jpg
Fans were confused by the birthday message from Harry and Meghan's Sussex Royal Instagram account, and asked why they hadn't sent a more affectionate comment

15078458-7166541-The_official_Clarence_House_Twitter_account_shared_the_black_and-a-2_1561110861309.jpg
The official Clarence House Twitter account shared the black and white snap of Prince William and the Prince of Wales playing in the Kensington Palace garden on the royal's second birthday
15078998-7166541-Prince_Andrew_also_shared_his_best_wishes_for_his_nephew_on_his_-a-4_1561111640055.jpg

Prince Andrew also shared his best wishes for his nephew on his birthday, sharing this adorable snap of the-then four year old William exploring a helicopter

Harry and Meghan wish 'the Duke of Cambridge' a happy birthday on Instagram | Daily Mail Online

:confused: Fans question Harry and Meghan's 'formal' message as they wish 'the Duke of Cambridge' a happy 37th birthday on Instagram - a day after their charity foundation split

Members of the royal family have taken to social media to wish Prince William well on his 37th birthday today, but fans have questioned a rather 'formal' message from Harry and Meghan.
15084080-7166541-Fans_questioned_Harry_and_Meghan_s_formal_birthday_greetings-m-3_1561120509377.jpg
Fans were confused by the birthday message from Harry and Meghan's Sussex Royal Instagram account, and asked why they hadn't sent a more affectionate comment

15078458-7166541-The_official_Clarence_House_Twitter_account_shared_the_black_and-a-2_1561110861309.jpg
The official Clarence House Twitter account shared the black and white snap of Prince William and the Prince of Wales playing in the Kensington Palace garden on the royal's second birthday
15078998-7166541-Prince_Andrew_also_shared_his_best_wishes_for_his_nephew_on_his_-a-4_1561111640055.jpg

Prince Andrew also shared his best wishes for his nephew on his birthday, sharing this adorable snap of the-then four year old William exploring a helicopter

Harry and Meghan wish 'the Duke of Cambridge' a happy birthday on Instagram | Daily Mail Online

They are free to keep private matters private. They don't need to be "affectionate" on Instagram or Twitter. They can send a more personal card, call, or message without the public knowing. That would be the greatest birthday gift, privacy of their private interactions.

Oh, I think HRH Uncle Andrew wins this contest!

Duchess of Dazzle: Meghan's new £4,350 eternity ring means she's worn a total of £600,000 worth of jewellery in the past 18 months
tenor.gif

It includes Princess Diana’s £75,000 aquamarine ring that Meghan wore on her wedding day, £60,000 Cartier drop earrings, and a set of £4,275 pearl and diamond earrings which were a gift from the Queen. In fact, the 91-piece collection, which boasts seven necklaces, 23 bracelets, 26 rings and 35 pairs of earrings, is so significant that it eclipses that of her late mother-in-law.

15134018-7171177-image-a-19_1561249121461.jpg
She even makes brass chic visiting Morocco in February, the Duchess showcased French firm Gas Bijoux, also a favourite of France’s First Lady, Brigitte Macron.:eek: The extravagant £129 Gourmette earrings are made from 24ct gold-plated brassLOL

Unbelievable! :confused:

So... then that's gonna include her engagement & wedding rings I'd assume? As well as this "eternity" ring (1year = eternity now? :D )
As seen in above quote whoever calculated this included gifts & jewels which don't actually belong to her??

I really don't think a (less than) £4,500 'ring' is particularly expensive especially considering who they are.

I absolutely DO NOT think '£129' earrings would ever be considered "extravagant" by anyone's standards :p

Is there a point to this article??
Poor Meghan o_O

And while I'm at it...:D

I notice these type of articles always FAIL to mention Meghan had quite a successful career of her own until she married Harry :rolleyes:
"Markle reportedly earns $50,000 per episode on Suits. Her salary on the show is said to be around $450,000 per year. Film income has supplemented that in previous years"
For 7 Seasons (?)

O.k. Apologies & Rant over! :p

How Much Money Do Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Have in the Bank?

Queen is 'horrified' as plague of rats and mice engulfs Buckingham Palace and royal staff are forced to call in exterminators

'Rats in Buckingham Palace kitchens leaving Queen horrified' | Daily Mail Online

This is unfortunate hopefully it will be resolved promptly.
c153075c7a70b74e92b18c91bfbfdb49.jpg
Either this is a grossly sensationalist headline (even for DM :rolleyes: )
or the story has been up-dated?

The Queen has been left 'horrified' over an invasion of *mice* at Buckingham Palace, it has been claimed.

Exterminators are detailed to battle ongoing mice infestation at Buckingham Palace...

Kitchen staff regularly see small brown mice running along corridors.

Pest control experts were drafted in to investigate and put down poison.

Mice are increasingly becoming immune to poison used on them in London :eek:

Royal staff have been forced to call in pest control after workers repeatedly complained about seeing them in the kitchens...

A source told the newspaper last night: 'Staff in the lower quarters especially have become quite used to seeing little brown mice tearing along the corridors.
There isn't a huge amount that can be done.'..

No mention of PLAGUE OR RATS in the actual article?? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Val in PA