NJ - Carolyn Byington, 26, killed inside her home, Plainsboro, 10 June 2019 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since there have been 3 homicides in 100 years in Plainsboro Twp they have no experience in conducting an investigation. I didn’t know about the incompetence of Middlesex County Prosecutor’s Office. They did say they had involved Federal investigators. Perhaps they will do the work. I would have thought this would have been an easy one. I would love to see Carolyn’s case solved soon.

I too thought this would be easily solved. Could be LE is waiting on more technical info like cell phone or SM accounts. The longer it goes on with no obvious resolution, the more baffled I am about any possible suspect or motive. It’s been over 2 weeks now, autopsy has been completed and her funeral has been held. I truly hope this does not go unsolved. Or that it does not drag on indefinitely.

This article says she worked in Princeton and lived alone in this apartment. However, Her "MyLife Bio" states she was married (at least at the time that info was gathered -not sure of date for bio info).

Woman, 26, Mysteriously Found Dead in Her New Jersey Home

My thoughts - either someone was in her apartment (robbery in progress unwanted visitor) when she came home for lunch, or someone entered while she was home at that time. Burglary seems off the list since neighbors noticed her arriving home for lunch so presume they would have noticed if her apartment was being invaded. IMO

Waiting to hear about any potential relationship issue on this one. JMO
Just now jumping in, so my thoughts below may be invalid by now... :rolleyes:

Robbery -- I don't think so -- breaking into (I assume) an apartment which is in a fairly large, nice-looking complex -- in broad daylight, with residents coming and going? The person(s) could have had a service truck and uniforms or work shirts, and this would probably have covered them, but surely someone would have noticed.
Someone known to her seems more likely, but the daytime part of it still makes me shake my head. Did someone go with her to have lunch at her place, or meet here there -- under her invitation? More likely, IMO.
Another sad and awful loss to many people. SMH. It never stops.

Her colleagues may have been concerned because she's got a health issue going on, or maybe she is pregnant. (MOO, not starting rumors, total speculation)

Also, she's a Sr. Project Manager according to her LinkedIn so while she probably made decent money, she was definitely not making $250K like her MyLife profile estimated.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/carolynbyington/
Probably old news now, but that linkedin site says, "This profile is not available."

What an incredibly sad tragedy I just read about in the Post. Checked on here to see if anyone has any ideas what monster could have done this to her? Hard working, well accomplished girl. Hopefully her apartment complex has cameras. I'm leaning more towards thinking someone (an acquaintance/ex, a worker, neighbor, visitor) saw her come home-- she was probably only home for a short bit during lunch time and left her door unlocked--followed her in and attacked her. This might be more likely than the very remote chance she just happened to have stopped at home during a robbery -- though I do remember a recent case in the metro area where that is what happened. Very few details given by police. I'm very sad for her that nobody helped right away when they heard screaming.

Same here -- I would think we all are shaking our heads that no one made a 911 call -- it could have been an attack on her (which it was), a bad fall, a sudden serious medical event, something falling on her, etc., etc. Bless her heart, all alone, and someone's victim.
So many of us are private and we try to respect other people's privacy; we go & come on our own; walk to our cars in garages by ourselves; go out at night by ourselves sometimes; etc., etc. Having our own transportation and living on our own, has enabled that, sometimes to our or other's doom. It's tuff to know what to do.

The Hunters Glen Apartments in Plainsboro appears to have great reviews that I'm seeing. Are we looking at the same place?

Hunters Glen Apartment Homes
1109 Hunters Glen Dr.
Plainsboro Township, NJ 08536
I'm seeing the same thing -- the rent amounts appear to me to be in line with apts. such as those shown in their home page. The comments are very positive.

Same here -- I would think we all are shaking our heads that no one made a 911 call -- it could have been an attack on her (which it was), a bad fall, a sudden serious medical event, something falling on her, etc., etc. Bless her heart, all alone, and someone's victim.
So many of us are private and we try to respect other people's privacy; we go & come on our own; walk to our cars in garages by ourselves; go out at night by ourselves sometimes; etc., etc. Having our own transportation and living on our own, has enabled that, sometimes to our or other's doom. It's tuff to know what to do.

A call to 911 should have been a no brainer. A single woman & screams heard.

This is the MCPO we're talking about. Don't expect this to be solved soon if at all. They're probably sitting in New Brunswick on their fat rumps waiting for someone to call in with a tip. This is the same inept bunch that took 20+ years to bring the obviously guilty Michelle Lodzinsky to justice and who still haven't charged Melanie McGuire's step-father who obviously played a role in (at least) the disposal of Bill's remains

They are also working with Federal Law Enforcement Agencies. Plainsboro NJ

A police Officer was driving through Carolyn’s parking lot around 1:30 today. He then pulled into another parking lot close to her building and sat in his SUV. Not sure how long he stayed there.

Welcome to Websleuths,
Sundayafternoon !!

If that were the case, she would have had to know the person or been expecting someone - a delivery or maintenance, an acquaintance. At least she would not be threatened by this person. I'd think a stranger lurking in the hallway before she entered her apartment might make her pause before entering. Would she scream there in the hallway if she felt threatened? JMO
Good point -- she could have been waiting for a delivery of a TV, appliance, a piece of furniture, or some repair to an appliance, etc. If so, however, delivery/installation/repair would have had to be limited to one hour or so since apparently (my assumption) she was expected back at work after lunch.

Good point -- she could have been waiting for a delivery of a TV, appliance, a piece of furniture, or some repair to an appliance, etc. If so, however, delivery/installation/repair would have had to be limited to one hour or so since apparently (my assumption) she was expected back at work after lunch.
It’s just weird that this hasn’t been solved if any of those possibilities were the actual truth.

Someone spent the night with her, all was okay, and she left that person in the apt. to go to work. Then she went home to make sure s/he was gone. S/he wasn't and they had a fight, etc., etc.

Apparently, the article has been edited. Previously, the title of the article stated: "Killer Was Waiting in Apartment "; now, it reads: "Killer was waiting at apartment."

In the the second paragraph of the article, it is reported as follows:

"Carolyn Byington . . . was apparently attacked once she entered her apartment . . .."

Killer was waiting at apartment for 26-year-old woman murdered on her lunch break, sources say

Weasel wording, at its finest. I don't know how the apartments are set up as far as the entrances to each apartment go. Does everyone access his own apartment by his own door? Or, is there a central entry door to each building they must pass through first?

Whatever, most of you seem to think she knew her attacker. Maybe someone she gave a key to previously that she was dating who recently showed up again?

If each unit has its own door to the outside, and there is shrubbery around where someone could hide, he could have waited for her to open her door and then surprised her, forced her into her unit and shut the door. Then muffled screams and "furniture moving" ensued. I agree that the furniture moving was more likely Carolyn battling for her life.

But this scenario is not very probable if it was a stranger. The stranger would have to be lurking around in broad daylight just waiting for someone to prey upon. Highly unlikely. Therefore, I'm going to go with it being someone who knew her and her schedule.
How often did she go home for lunch? If she went home every day, it would make sense here if it were a stranger or someone who knew her. If she rarely went home for lunch, who knew she was going home for lunch? Did she tell the folks at work? Was this a totally random attack -- did an apt. workman see her, follow her to her apt., and force her inside? Did someone see her in the Engine parking lot and follow her home? Arrrgghh.

I live @ 1 mile from Hunters Glen. The development is 1 mile from the Plainsboro Police. Had someone called when they heard screams & moving furniture, the police could have been there in several minutes.

I don’t understand why they didn’t call to be on the safe side. Clearly, something was wrong.

Also this is a very large complex of two story garden apartments built in the 1970s. Each unit has a separate entrance. For units on the top floor, there are stairs outside that are visible.
Thanks for the local info -- it's great to have someone who knows something about the geography, the neighborhoods (when possible), and the "feel" of the place. Thanks for the post, and a belated --

Welcome to Websleuths,
DAB !!

I know the area/towns where this happened are very nice and usually safe. Not sure how big Plainsboro actually is..but if EMS tells you to keep your doors locked, that is scary. I'd be pretty ticked with the local police for not telling the residents more on if there is a threat to the community - as obviously they are still searching for the murderer. Most people I would think lock their doors but some keep windows open at night for cool air. I don't mean to knock the police but seriously I think they should say more by now to the residents. (unless they have and I missed it).
This limited advice by LE to lock etc., is so, so common. Of course LE doesn't want people panicking and calling 911 when they hear a dog bark at night or because a "strange car" drove through the neighborhood; they also don't want an armed citizen militia patrolling neighborhoods. I'm not sure what a "happy medium" here is -- maybe "lock your doors" means just what it says, or maybe it also insinuates for people to be more careful than usual.

A police Officer was driving through Carolyn’s parking lot around 1:30 today. He then pulled into another parking lot close to her building and sat in his SUV. Not sure how long he stayed there.

Perhaps they are trying to see what the activity at the complex is like around lunch time, the time when Carolyn was killed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChasF419