WA WA - Seattle, WhtFem 30-50, 159UFWA, alias 'Mary Anderson', copper IUD, breast surgery scars, Oct'96

When I reviewed this case, I thought it was strangely similar to the "Lyle Stevik" one

Similarities

- both checked into Washington hotels
- both committed suicide 2 days after they checked into the hotels
- both had surgeries at one time in their lives
- both gave adresses that were not their own (hers was non-exsistent, his was for a motel in Idaho)
- both paid for hotel rooms in cash
- both left notes

I think these similarities are due to these people not wanting to be identified, not wanting to "burden" their families.
EDIT: But not knowing what happened to a loved one could be a lot more upsetting than knowing they killed themselves.

I'm in that age range,and I would be using metamucil...its not just for elderly it helps,anyone with constipation..however,looking at her post mortems,I do personally believe she's at least in her mid 40s. Even with modern day science,recent cases have been way off on ages....i personally feel if she still had an iud,she hadn't reached menopause,so I just really feel like she's 40something..

Regarding the IUD, she may have just not been able to get it removed. In a country without universal health insurance, it costs money to get IUDs and Norplant rods removed.

She may also have been appropriately cautious regarding the risk of pregnancy (many 40-50ish women get complacent when their periods get irregular, and end up having unplanned children years after they thought their childbearing was finished).

I came across Mary while researching another case, and got sidetracked reading this thread. :)

I just wanted to point out that I was looking at several Washington UIDs and saw several names on ruleout lists that didn't look familiar at all so I don't think they are listed anywhere else. It might be worth trying to find info on them to see if they are still missing.

I have on a couple occasions tried to find info on unfamiliar names from ruleout lists and I found one name turned out to be an attorney who is alive and another I believed to be the mother of Amber Barker so I think sometimes the names in there are not the MP but possibly the person who submitted the sample.

But there were others who did turn out to be missing but just weren't listed anywhere.

Just might be another place to look for more MP's.

I have just read this entire thread and had a few thoughts.

First-- I worked in a Seattle-area Bon Marche department store from 1992-1996. There was a lot of velour and velveteen clothing at that time. Some was made by designers whose names you'd know and was expensive and beautiful. Others were kind of simpler cuts and kind of "old lady." (Admittedly, the outfit she passed away in looks kind of like one of those, but I wonder what the other outfits were like.) For what it's worth, I was in my late 20s/early 30s at the time and had some velour myself. In particular I remember some silver paisley leggings and a shimmery top that were just gorgeous and not old lady style at all. So, it just depends. Maybe she just wanted to be comfortable in her final days. My two cents.

The other thing is, I'd like to know about her hands and if there was any evidence of her having worn rings. I know she was found without jewelry. But her hands might tell whether she had been married.

After a few years of marriage, my wedding band had made an indentation around my finger. I've actually heard of people who have had cosmetic surgery to remove such indentations after divorce. Did this woman show any such evidence of having worn one or more rings? And if so, on which hand(s) and finger(s)?

We have many types of maple trees in Seattle. I love them, often pick up leaves because I think they're beautiful and they remind me of my childhood when we had big maples in the backyard. Maybe she was thinking along the same lines.

I had never heard of this case until I listened to a podcast from Thinking Sideways about Mary Anderson. I didn't read every message in this thread but I saw some questions that were answered in the podcast (which is worth a listen if you like true crime podcasts). There's also a very in depth article online interviewing the coroner, who has tried very hard to ID Mary.

1 - The medical examiner did try to track down the IUD by serial number. However due to age of the device, most of the numbers were worn off, and he was unsuccessful searching for the partial number.

2 - Her hands were carefully examined to try to determine her occupation (calluses, marks, etc.) but was also unsuccessful. It also makes no mention of ring marks, which I'm sure would have been seen.

3 - He thinks Mary was educated and possibly worked in a science-related or technology field, primarily because she knew about cyanide and was able to get access to it before the internet.

4 - The medical examiner was able to tell Mary never gave birth to children, so her claims of no family (at least close relations) may have been true.

5 - Mary looks older than the estimated 33-45 years, but this was determined by taking a cross section of her ribs and is thought to be accurate.

6 - Mary's breast surgery was a breast reduction/breast lift. This can be a medically necessary or cosmetic procedure. Insurance would pay for a medical necessity.

7 - Mary was not wearing a Velour track suit. She was wearing a black top and black leggings (pictures are online). Reports said she had 6 Velour track suits hanging in the closet, in various colors.

And the rest is my personal opinion:

- Velour suits were very common in the 1990's, especially for middle-aged and heavier women. They were produced in a variety of materials, quality and price points, from Walmart to high-end department stores.

- Many people seem to think Mary was wealthy or rich because she had expensive items with her (Estee Lauder cosmetics, nice clothes, leather handbag, etc.) I think it's impossible to judge her socioeconomic status by a few items. Some rich people dress in casual clothes, and some people on welfare only wear designer clothes. Personally, taking all evidence into consideration, I would guess Mary is comfortably middle class, but not rich. Her surgery could have been covered by insurance as well.

- I've also read questions about her age and the IUD. IUDs can last around ten years, and while I agree Mary looks older, the medical examiner seemed confident of her age range of 33-45. Although womens fertility enters decline in the 40s, it is still very possible to get pregnant.

I dont know if this has been posted here before my apologies if it has or if it is well known info but i found pictures of her the way she was found if anyone's interested

Trying to find more local UID/MP cases. This is an interesting one.

YES interested!!!
Here ya go
75880391a36a61fd3ad50320ec6c3fc4.jpg

I feel like the pics done on her don't show her weight in her face accurately.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I feel like the pics done on her don't show her weight in her face accurately.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I agree, her face looks quite slim compared to the rest of her body.

I agree with others who say she looks Mediterranean. She sort of reminds of Christina Onassis when she got older and much heavier.

I agree with others who say she looks Mediterranean. She sort of reminds of Christina Onassis when she got older and much heavier.

Agreed.

I'm Greek and Italian and this UID reminds me of some of my Greek family members.

Still kinda new to WS but been following this for a while. I know a lot of people keep thinking she looks like Annandale JD but I can't see it. I wish there were more pic of the hotel room & her belongings. But I guess this seemed like an easy case since she had signed in and given a name & address. Hope DNA Doe Project takes this on one day!

Anyone seeing any similarities in any of these ?

Attachments

• Untitled-14.jpg
    Untitled-14.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 37

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members