Identified! OH - Dobbstown, 'Belle in the Well' WhtFem UP6259, 30-60, in cistern, Apr'81 - Louise Petersen

How sad. Fully clothed, with rubber bands on her wrists. Is it possible this is a suicide? Were the rubber bands to bind her, or something she wore on her wrists to distract herself from other impulses? I hope answers come soon.

I've just stumbled across a case which I've never seen anywhere before, which I can't find listed in any database or reported anywhere else.

The missing woman is Betty Jean Chipps Morgan Anglin, who was last seen at a bus station in Charleston (West Virginia) in 1977.

I don't even know the status of this case regarding whether it has been solved or not, but I can't find any indication that it has been closed.

Message Boards

I've just stumbled across a case which I've never seen anywhere before, which I can't find listed in any database or reported anywhere else.

The missing woman is Betty Jean Chipps Morgan Anglin, who was last seen at a bus station in Charleston (West Virginia) in 1977.

I don't even know the status of this case regarding whether it has been solved or not, but I can't find any indication that it has been closed.

Message Boards

I sent a message to Betty's daughter Judy who runs the website for her missing mother. I asked her to create a NamUs profile for her mother to help with identification. I did not mention your theory because Betty went missing in 1977 and the earliest date of death for the victim is 1979. That's a two year gap so I don't think it's possible.

*modsnip/ email removed*

I hope she takes my advice. It's possible Betty has already been found but due to no profile nobody has made the connection.

Last edited by a moderator:
I sent a message to Betty's daughter Judy who runs the website for her missing mother. I asked her to create a NamUs profile for her mother to help with identification. I did not mention your theory because Betty went missing in 1977 and the earliest date of death for the victim is 1979. That's a two year gap so I don't think it's possible. But if you want to email her your theory her email address is right here.

sissietale01@aol.com

I hope she takes my advice. It's possible Betty has already been found but due to no profile nobody has made the connection.

Thank you for doing that. Just wanted to consider all options rather than starting a new thread, because the gap is more like one year because she was last seen in November (which I made the mistake of not writing here).

I sent a message to Betty's daughter Judy who runs the website for her missing mother. I asked her to create a NamUs profile for her mother to help with identification. I did not mention your theory because Betty went missing in 1977 and the earliest date of death for the victim is 1979. That's a two year gap so I don't think it's possible.

*modsnip/ email removed*

I don't understand why they edited out the email address in my post. It's not private at all. If you go to the website set up by Betty Anglin’s Daughter and click on Contact Me you’re taken to a page containing the email address.

She may have been just fine for two years after she left and then ran into trouble. I don't think Betty Jean should be ruled out based on that small gap.

FINALLY!

"Investigators say they have finally identified the victim in a decades-old murder case.

The 38-year-long mystery is widely known at the "Belle in the Well" case. A woman's body was found in a covered well in Chesapeake, Ohio, on April 22, 1981. Investigators said she was strangled and could have been in the well -- located in a rural part of Lawrence County -- for up to two years."

Press conferance on Monday!

Victim identified in decades-old murder case known as 'Belle in the Well'

ETA: Adding links and information.

"Officials now know who she is. A news conference is scheduled 9 a.m. Monday at Bowman Auditorium on Ohio University’s Southern Campus in Ironton, Ohio, to release the identification of “Belle in the Well.”

Mack said investigators are trying to get more information from the woman’s family, but she apparently lived in the Huntington area at one point.

The woman also is believed to be slightly older than first thought. Initially, her age was listed as in the 30s or 40s."

Identification made of 'Belle in Well' body found 38 years ago

Last edited:
FINALLY!

"Investigators say they have finally identified the victim in a decades-old murder case.

The 38-year-long mystery is widely known at the "Belle in the Well" case. A woman's body was found in a covered well in Chesapeake, Ohio, on April 22, 1981. Investigators said she was strangled and could have been in the well -- located in a rural part of Lawrence County -- for up to two years."

Wonderful!!! That took a lot of hard work.

FINALLY!

What a great news. I wonder if DNA Doe Project chipped in anyway as they helped in quite a few Ohio cases.

Can't wait for press conference.

Edit: To add - I just found that this case was indeed case of DNA Doe Project
Belle in the Well - DNA Doe Project Cases

FINALLY!

ETA: Adding links and information.

"Officials now know who she is. A news conference is scheduled 9 a.m. Monday at Bowman Auditorium on Ohio University’s Southern Campus in Ironton, Ohio, to release the identification of “Belle in the Well.”

Mack said investigators are trying to get more information from the woman’s family, but she apparently lived in the Huntington area at one point.

The woman also is believed to be slightly older than first thought. Initially, her age was listed as in the 30s or 40s."

Identification made of 'Belle in Well' body found 38 years ago

I'm glad she was identified. She can now rest.

Jul 29, 2019

IRONTON, Ohio — Thirty-eight years after being killed and tossed into a cistern to be forgotten, Louise Virginia Peterson Flesher — known for decades as “Belle in the Well” — has finally regained her identity, thanks to evolving forensic science technology and Lawrence County authorities’ never-wavering goal of solving the case.

But while authorities have partially solved the mystery, they still have a long way to go in discovering who killed her and why.

Peterson, born in 1915 in Fair View, West Virginia, was finally identified this year after her daughter was located in February, allowing for DNA testing to confirm their relationship early this month, authorities said during a press conference Monday.

[...]

Peterson’s name actually came up first in March 2018, but investigators thought she was too old and moved on. A new match appeared on a family genealogy website in Jan. 31, but it was unrelated to West Virginia.

Peterson has three daughters, one deceased and two living in Wyoming. Her husband, Donald Flesher, died in Belpre, Ohio, in 1992. The youngest daughter is who authorities used to identify the woman, according to investigators.

Several local and national projects helped in the case including the coroner’s office, sheriff department and prosecutor’s office in Lawrence County, as well as Elizabeth Murray, a forensic anthropologist from Mount St. Joseph University and several individuals from the DNA DOE Project.

The DNA Doe Project is an initiative that uses genetic genealogy to identify John and Jane Does across the country. Its investigators estimated Monday that 10,000 hours and thousands of dollars was put into the project that took about 14 months to finally solve.

'Belle in the Well' ID'd

e15ed6e2-397d-400d-b6ca-0294a8e84ac1-large16x9_BelleinWell.jpg

IRONTON, Ohio (WCHS/WVAH) — Investigators in Lawrence County, Ohio, said it was the combination of DNA and genealogy that helped discover the identity of a Jane Doe known as the Belle in the Well.

Louise Virginia Peterson Flesher, 65, is the woman found dead in a well in 1981 off McKinney Creek Road in Windsor Township in Lawrence County.

“I did not make a physical examination of the scene, but that was my very first case that I was assigned and I’m glad that we finally get to a point where 38 years later it was solved,” said Bill Nenni, case investigator with the Lawrence County Coroner’s Office.

'Belle in the Well' identified during news conference

Rest in Peace Louise

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shyanne