CA - Off Duty Police Officer shoots man and parents after altercation in Costco, Corona, June 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe we need a rule that requires off-duty officers to also carry pepper spray and Tasers on their person whenever they are carrying their firearm(s). Not sure if it would have made a difference in this specific case, but having non-lethal alternatives at hand might prevent a senseless death, not to mention the very real possibility of collateral damage that comes as a result of discharging a firearm in a supermarket. JMO

Maybe we need a rule that requires off-duty officers to also carry pepper spray and Tasers on their person whenever they are carrying their firearm(s). Not sure if it would have made a difference in this specific case, but having non-lethal alternatives at hand might prevent a senseless death, not to mention the very real possibility of collateral damage that comes as a result of discharging a firearm in a supermarket. JMO

IMO, this is a great idea.

I do like this idea. But, I can see someone with an itchy trigger finger being even more eager to use pepper spray or a taser, and that can be with damaging consequences, too. Officers clearly need more training in determining when to use a gun, a taser, and pepper spray. Then, any who doesn't have the discernment to use any of them appropriately should be eliminated from the police force and have their weapons confiscated. MOO

Family Of Man Fatally Shot In Corona Costco Still Looking For Answers

.....the family does not dispute that French started the physical encounter by pushing or slapping Salvador. But the family member said witnesses told him that French’s mother Paola was shot first, in the back while standing between her mentally ill son and the officer. The family member said French’s father Russel was shot next while screaming, “Don’t shoot. My son is sick.”

Kenneth French: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com

I seem to recall that their policy was they could keep it for 45 days, but then had to release unless certain conditions existed. Given their silence so far, I assume they will try to keep it from release. But they will have to make an actual argument to the court IF a suit is filed. I am hoping that happens.

Well if it's 45 days then we are likely looking at August before we hear anything on the video. The media will have to file their request this week. Though, this article might nudge them.

This is what I'd been reading from witnesses and apparently it's what employees told the family as well.... until they had to sign NDA's. Holy crap. I hope that video isn't "lost".

So Mom was shot, Dad was shot and then the son was shot. I think we know why we aren't seeing the video. We had already heard that one shot hit both mother and son.

I now think it's very possible that Mom was shot, Dad was shot, son went down from a shot that came through Mom and hit him. I think it's highly probable that the remaining bullets were then shot into the son while he was already down. If my suspicions are true this should be charged as murder.

Wow.

I thought the mom was standing behind her son and the bullet went through him first, then mom. Does anyone know what part of the body mom was shot at, where the bullet struck?

I have consistently heard Mom was shot in the back. That would make sense if she was standing between the shooter and her son, trying to lead her son away.

That makes more sense to me than a shot coming through him and hitting her in the back, as if she was walking away from him at the time. I always struggled with that, because I felt like the parents would have immediately tried to defuse the situation and gotten between the shooter and their son.

This sounds much more like what I imagined happening so I won't be surprised if it's accurate. Especially since we haven't seen the video and I think if the video was good for the cop it would be released, just like in Hannah's case.

I looked at the union contract for LAPD, and couldn't find anything about length of time for "Administrative Leave" for the investigation. So, I wonder how long Officer Sanchez will be leave with pay.

It seems like this shooting is disappearing. Someone is really cleaning up, Costco employees had to sign a "Non-Disclosure" agreement. Hardly any more news.

I am with you, @MsFacetious. This should not be swept under the rug.

I can understand that COSTCO wants the employees to sign an NDA as they might be on the hook for a civl lawsuit, so talking to PD would be acceptable but the press or lawyers for either side not so much.

If Mr. French's mother was shot first and in the back, I can't even imagine how this could not result in criminal charges.... but, I guess, we will see.

... I think if the video was good for the cop it would be released, just like in Hannah's case.

I have thought that too and I agree.

Sadly, I think the public/media attention in this case may dissipate sooner than later. I commend the black community in putting the pressure on on cases such as Philando Castille and Walter Scott, even if some might some dispute the driving forces. In this case the victims are South Asians with probably little community support so I will not be surprised if this case fizzles out.

One can very well see what happens when community support is absent such as in the case of Daniel Shaver. I shook my head when I read that the perp in this case was allowed to rejoin his police job briefly so he could collect retirement benefits. Brotherhood indeed.

I have consistently heard Mom was shot in the back. That would make sense if she was standing between the shooter and her son, trying to lead her son away.

That makes more sense to me than a shot coming through him and hitting her in the back, as if she was walking away from him at the time. I always struggled with that, because I felt like the parents would have immediately tried to defuse the situation and gotten between the shooter and their son.

This sounds much more like what I imagined happening so I won't be surprised if it's accurate. Especially since we haven't seen the video and I think if the video was good for the cop it would be released, just like in Hannah's case.

As a parent, I would have stepped in front of my son as well. So to me, this info is very believable.

I am with you, @MsFacetious. This should not be swept under the rug.

I agree too - this can't just be swept under the rug. Even IF the district attorney decides not to file any criminal charges (maybe they feel the evidence is inconclusive or whatever), I feel that they should release all videos, photos, coroner's report, other evidence, etc. Maybe it'll take a news org to file a request for the info; it might be too progressive of me to think the county will release it on their own.

As a parent, I would have stepped in front of my son as well. So to me, this info is very believable.

Yes, as a parent with a child with a disability I have stepped in between my child and someone I felt was uncomfortable around them. I can completely envision doing the exact same thing in this situation, only more urgently and not seeing the danger coming. I think that's why it's bothering me so much, I can put myself and my child in that situation.

Yes, as a parent with a child with a disability I have stepped in between my child and someone I felt was uncomfortable around them. I can completely envision doing the exact same thing in this situation, only more urgently and not seeing the danger coming. I think that's why it's bothering me so much, I can put myself and my child in that situation.

Totally agree with this. My husband is blind and hearing impaired. He often bumps people, who don't notice that he has a long white cane. And he yells at people, they think he is angry. Nope, he is deaf.

I could see a situation like this at Costco, in a heartbeat, with him bumping into someone, turning, and yelling. Someone could easily say, "An angry, psycho guy knocked me down, and started yelling. I had to start shooting to protect myself.".

When, in reality, a disabled person bumped someone, their family went over to smooth things, and the shots were already fired.

I think the guy went into fight mode without knowing exactly what was going on. Sometimes in stressful situations people don’t have the wherewithal to switch gears once they are activated, this happened to another cop , i think, who shot a fleeing suspect in the back after a brief tussle. A lethal weapon should be a last ditch response not your first recourse especially when the other guy is unarmed.

A judge in Riverside County has ruled to keep the video of the shooting from being released for now. Essentially, the video would be released when one year has passed from the date of the shooting. The video could be released earlier if the Riverside DA decides not to file criminal charges against the shooter or if criminal charges are filed, after the Riverside prosecutors have rested their case.

Off-Duty LAPD Officer Who Fatally Shot Man In Corona Costco Described As Suspect In Court Documents

Riverside DA's office sought the court order (as not to influence witnesses), but LAPD made the announcement. Not sure when the judge made the ruling (the article just says "recently").

There's also an article on LA Times (didn't read it, though, because of the paywall)

Costco shooting: Wounded parents making strides in their recovery, attorney says

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member