Canada - Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #13

Status
Not open for further replies.
The man helping them push the stolen Rav out of the mud said something to the effect of, ‘Your parents will be mad you ruined their car.’ & Kam relied, ‘They told us to go on a long joy ride.’ Or so the man said he said. So it’s not just you.

So the guys could've easily killed that guy since a witness. Curious why it all stopped I guess, assuming they had the means/weapon. I'd like to think they might've had a conscience buried in them and didn't like how they felt after the killings but maybe I'm an idealist...

I still think it was a killing spree, hampered by the unplanned for and , I think not even thought of, the very swift realization by the RCMP that they were the killers. I've thought that was a superb piece of policing for that to become apparent and then acted upon, and , it had the desired ( desired by the RCMP) effect. The killing stopped.

From then on, the focus was to escape. They appeared to be rushed into this part of the overall concept. I don't think it occurred to Kam or Bry that they would be twigged as fugitives/ suspects so quickly, considering the situation. I think the purpose was that they would be seen as missing victims , at the very outside, not suspects at that early stage of the game.

I wonder if they drove right to the end of PR290 before turning back to the location where the RAV4 was burned. That’s quite the sight, the end of the road. It’s about five hours beyond the closest intersection had they chosen to backtrack.

upload_2019-8-10_0-0-45.jpeg

https://www.macleans.ca/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/MANHUNT-EDWARDS-JULY31-07.jpeg

So the guys could've easily killed that guy since a witness. Curious why it all stopped I guess, assuming they had the means/weapon. I'd like to think they might've had a conscience buried in them and didn't like how they felt after the killings but maybe I'm an idealist...
I can't figure out if they didn't kill him because it was daylight and his brother was apparently watching, if they were genuinely grateful that he helped them, or if they had just lost their taste for violence by this point. It's odd. The whole thing is.

Maybe they became sickened of their own acts. After all, what was left? Continuing killing was the only avenue. Giving up to the RCMP was not , apparently, an option. Both must have agreed to that. Living rough, eating rough, sleeping rough, this loses it's novelty very quickly.

Giving up , and going thru the long long years in some far away prison, year in , year out, same thing over and over every day, being told what to do, what to eat, when to eat, when to run, when to walk for a lifetime. .. an unappealing future.

Perhaps it wasn't a difficult decision. Hard to put oneself in that situation, but it doesn't strike me as odd they either of them thought this way out was in any way an impossibility.

They were not disorganized killers, on the contrary, they were highly organized, up to a point. Considering their age , quite a considerable point of one track thinking from two individuals, an unusual event. Even among killers, it's rare for such apparent agreement between them being adhered to.
Prison also would have meant they would be separated, which on top of everything else the future would hold may have felt intolerable.

Well I don't know what they expected....

Oh, they knew they were suspects if they survived long enough to hear the helicopters. Plus there was talk in the media kind of side-eyeing them leading up to them being named.

It's the bugs that drove them to it (semi-serious).

I would like to think the gravity of their crimes hit them. Maybe that is overly optimistic. I think there is evidence to suggest they may have ultimately regretted what they did. Like if they knew it was over and they liked killing, why not wait for the cops to show up and try to take some of them out? Why no additional victims along the way as is usually seen in a spree?

As I said before, I think Lucas and Chynna's murders were either a thrill killing, or a robbery for thrill gone wrong. Prof Dyck's murder was a panicked attempt to distance themselves from the first murders and they likely got no thrill from doing it. But since it was charged as second degree murder, maybe it wasn't even planned to kill him.

If the gravity of their situation hit them I could see them turning on one another, regardless if they were childhood friends. The murders were reportedly violent so at least one of them must have rage issues.

I still think it was a killing spree, hampered by the unplanned for and , I think not even thought of, the very swift realization by the RCMP that they were the killers. I've thought that was a superb piece of policing for that to become apparent and then acted upon, and , it had the desired ( desired by the RCMP) effect. The killing stopped.

From then on, the focus was to escape. They appeared to be rushed into this part of the overall concept. I don't think it occurred to Kam or Bry that they would be twigged as fugitives/ suspects so quickly, considering the situation. I think the purpose was that they would be seen as missing victims , at the very outside, not suspects at that early stage of the game.

Good points (and good posts btw!) about being focused on escaping rather than killing indiscriminately. I still wrestle whether these guys were that smart or not to plan anything, really hard to say.

You're welcome--I'm sorry I got confused. Glad @Schmoosh and @srper2 set my straight. :)

And I agree--he really had a lot going for him, it seems. He came from a nice family and, by all accounts, could be very pleasant and fun to be around. I can see how BS ended up down this road--his home life sounds miserable and he was manifesting a lot of red flags--but KM baffles me.

Relistening to the interview now and it does seem like Kam was taking the lead. The guy said the first thing he asked was if they'd called someone and KM was the one who answered and said no. Then he was the first to respond to the mom and dad comment. He also took the lead in getting back into the Rav4 while the guy was pulling them out, but I suspect that is because BS really couldn't drive.

Sounds like KM had personality and was the confident one, BS clung to that I'm guessing as discussed. KM was obviously missing something in his life to take such a turn.

I can't figure out if they didn't kill him because it was daylight and his brother was apparently watching, if they were genuinely grateful that he helped them, or if they had just lost their taste for violence by this point. It's odd. The whole thing is.

The heavily rutted lane they got stuck in was reportedly close to a seniors home and single family residences. The stuck vehicle likely created a lot of attention midday by the time the Good Samaritan came along as it’s motor revved, wheels spinning, mud flying. Committing murder in view of potential witnesses would surely have resulted in an almost immediate arrest but otherwise I agree, the guy was lucky to drive away alive.

Maybe nobody else finds this odd, but I thought it was kind of strange when he pulled up and they were stuck that they had the doors of the vehicle open. I wonder why. If I was stuck in mud and standing outside assessing the situation, I'd probably close the doors of the vehicle just to avoid getting any mud in the car while I was trying to unstick myself. They'd been stuck for over an hour, apparently, so it wasn't like they just got out.

Guessing here... would they have been pushing their body weight on the sides of the frame with doors open? So doors open, them out of the vehicle pushing on the frame trying to roll the car forward/backward out? Not sure how to word it lol

The heavily rutted lane they got stuck in was reportedly close to a seniors home and single family residences. The stuck vehicle likely created a lot of attention midday by the time the Good Samaritan came along as it’s motor revved, wheels spinning, mud flying. Committing murder in view of potential witnesses would surely have resulted in an almost immediate arrest but otherwise I agree, the guy was lucky to drive away alive.
I didn't know about the senior home! I got the impression the brother's house was nearby, but yeah, definitely sounds like lots of potential for witnesses. I wonder what they tried to do to get themselves unstuck. The guy who helped them said they were in it nearly up to the doors!

Guessing here... would they have been pushing their body weight on the sides of the frame with doors open? So doors open, them out of the vehicle pushing on the frame trying to roll the car forward/backward out? Not sure how to word it lol
Maybe? I've never been stuck in mud like that before, so I have nothing to compare, too. I did get stuck in snow once, but it was late and I was tired, so I said screw it, locked the doors, and walked the mile home and had a tow truck get it out in the morning. LOL

Plus, it never really gets pitch black up there. More like twilight.

I'm not so sure. I've lived in northern Quebec where that is certainly the case but that was much further north than the Dease Lake position . Anyway, www.sunrisesunset.com provides the following data for Fort Nelson which is roughly on a parallel with Dease Lake. Sunset on Monday, July 15th was at 9 minutes past 11, with moonrise at 11:17 PM and the full moon in place at 2:39 AM. Sunrise was at 5:26 on Tuesday morning. So, when the bearded man was seen, at 11:30, it must already have been quite dark. When the bodies were discovered at around 7:30 AM, they had already been visible of 2 hours without anyone having noticed them.

Last edited:
I wonder if they drove right to the end of PR290 before turning back to the location where the RAV4 was burned. That’s quite the sight, the end of the road. It’s about five hours beyond the closest intersection had they chosen to backtrack.

View attachment 197786

https://www.macleans.ca/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/MANHUNT-EDWARDS-JULY31-07.jpeg

That is quite the photo and visual! Very "Thelma and Louise" type situation. They might've even been out of gas and couldn't make it back to that intersection to backtrack.

100% agree, same questions from me... Strange.

Prison also would have meant they would be separated, which on top of everything else the future would hold may have felt intolerable.

Not to mention BS would probably get picked on and not fit in anywhere in prison. KM, hard to say as he supposedly was well liked.

Maybe KM was the confident sociopath and BS was the antisocial oddball with the ideas.

If the gravity of their situation hit them I could see them turning on one another, regardless if they were childhood friends. The murders were reportedly violent so at least one of them must have rage issues.

And would be a difficult situation if one was enjoying and the other wanted it to stop. Conscience vs no conscience. Talking, fantasizing and idealizing killing is one thing, actually doing it and watching someone die is another. Maybe one had a change of heart or they were thick as thieves to the end. I wish we knew...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname