Canada - Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #13

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strangeworld

Reaction score
An Australian man and his American girlfriend have died in suspicious circumstances in Canada, sparking fears they may have been murdered.

Lucas Fowler is reported to be the son of senior NSW police officer, Inspector Stephen Fowler. He was found dead alongside his girlfriend, North Carolina woman Chynna Deese, in British Columbia earlier this week sparking fears of foul play.

Chynna’s sister Kennedy Deese wrote they pair were “homicide victims along a remote stretch of highway in Canada while on a road trip.”

An older style blue mini-van the pair was believed to have been travelling was found at the scene.

Canadian police are looking for anyone who saw the vehicle or offered assistance. They’re also appealing for anyone that travelled the stretch of highway around the time of the discovery to come forward, according to a RCMP media release.

3a2787b59f5c65af6f791d5450ed875f

673a3c10aa32ec585e2f11501db9cf48

Australian man found dead in Canada

Media, Maps & Timeline thread

Initial thread on suspects McLeod and Schmegelsky (now closed)

The Rules (aka Terms of Service aka TOS)

Thread #1
Thread #2
Thread #3
Thread #4
Thread #5
Thread #6
Thread #7
Thread #8
Thread #9
Thread #10

BRITISH COLUMBIA BACKPACKER FEARS: A TIMELINE

July 15: At 7.19am, Royal Mounted Canadian Police are called to the side of the road on the Alaska Highway, in remote British Columbia.

Police found the bodies of a young man and young woman about 20km south of the Liard Hot Springs, not far from a beat-up blue minivan.

July 16: Police publicly announce the two bodies were found dead on the side of Highway 97 but say 'no further information is available'

July 17: Investigators ask anyone who may have seen, or have dashcam footage, between 4pm Sunday and 8am Monday to come forward

July 18: Detectives confirm the identities of the two dead as Lucas Fowler, 24, and Chynna Deese, 23

Some 470km away near Dease Lake, police discover an abandoned truck

July 19: The body of Leonard Dyck is found two kilometres from the burned-out remains of the truck McLeod and Schmegelsky were travelling in

July 21: Witness tells media of seeing a 'bearded man' having a 'heated exchange' with Fowler and Deese on the side of the highway

July 22: Pictures emerge of Fowler and Deese's minivan with a blown out back window

Police issue urgent appeal for two men who have gone missing near Dease Lake, Kam McLeod, 19, and Bryer Schmegelsky, 18

July 23: McLeod and Schmegelsky are named as suspects - a massive search gets underway

A grey Toyota RAV 4 being driven by the pair is spotted in northern Saskatchewan

A burnt-out car is found near the town of Gillam, Manitoba.

July 29: York Landing in Manitoba is thrown into lockdown after two men were spotted foraging for food at a landfill

July 31: Manhunt involving police, military, tracking dogs and drones has found no trace of two teenage murder suspects

August 1: Police begin searching the province of Ontario, 2,000km from where the pair were last seen, after reports of a suspicious vehicle near Kapuskasing

August 2: Police say the sighting of the pair in Ontario was not credible, as Lucas Fowler's friends and family hold an emotional memorial for him in Sydney

Police find several items directly linked to the suspects near the Nelson River after a battered rowboat washes ashore

August 3: Ontario police reveal they received more than 30 tips in just eight hours, and say they are following up on every single one

August 6: The search in the Nelson River is called off, and police block off the town of Sundance, which has been abandoned since 1992, and once housed a murder suspect for three years

August 7: Canadian Police announce that two male bodies believed to belong to McLeod and Schmegelsky were found in 'dense bush' by the Nelson River, five miles from where they abandoned the burning car

Canadian tour guide believes he helped police locate teen fugitives after spotting a sleeping bag | Daily Mail Online

Autopsies are set for Thursday on the two bodies found in northern Manitoba, believed to be those of the Vancouver Island murder suspects who were the focus of an over two-week-long manhunt.

The autopsies should answer some — but not all questions, including whether the bodies are in fact 18-year-old Bryer Schmegelsky and 19-year-old Kam McLeod — although, Mounties have little doubt they are not.

“At this time, we are confident that these are the bodies of the two suspects wanted in connection with the homicides in British Columbia,” Manitoba RCMP Assistant Commissioner Jane MacLatchy said.

Another question many Canadians are asking is how the pair died, and when.

While the autopsy will provide some answers, it likely won’t reveal “why.”

https://www.citynews1130.com/2019/08/08/autopsies-bodies-manitoba-bc-murder-suspects/

I hate this weird hangover feeling, when I am so invested in what's going on, and waiting for a resolution or an answer, refreshing all hours of the day and night, and now knowing that it's all over (and feeling happy that it is) but nothing is actually really answered or resolved. I can't even imagine how the families feel.
I have had this feeling for a while..... I think we all felt it.
So heartbreaking, so senseless..... what a mess.
So numb.

Ive seen it in the news more and more this past few years. Just this week in our news there’s been a story of a man who swam out to rescue a woman who drifted out to far and found herself heading for a dangerous area of the lake. He managed to bring her back to shore and saved her, but was found dead less than 24 hours later. His wife said after the rescue he had been complaining of how utterly drained he felt and how everything hurt, but thought it was just the after effects of his swim to save her, they now believe that was due to dry drowning. (It was just a couple days ago so I’m not sure if there’s any updates about his cause of death.)
Well, I'm a long-time medical writer and I just learned something! Never heard of "dry drowning" before. That sounds highly likely to me and yay for Clint Sawchuk.

“We (the RCMP) will also continue to offer support to the Port Alberni families of the two men as they deal with these difficult developments,” Hackett said.”
Difficult to determine motive in northern B.C. homicides following discovery of bodies believed to be suspects: police

I wondered if I’d heard this wrong when I listened to the PC but no, here it is in print. IIRC, AS does not live in Port Alberni because it was reported that he stayed with friends when he visited his son. “Offering support to the Port Alberni families” of the two men is worded in such a way as to specifically exclude him. Wonder why that is.

Well, I'm a long-time medical writer and I just learned something! Never heard of "dry drowning" before. That sounds highly likely to me and yay for Clint Sawchuk.
That man died of secondary drowning. Dry drowning occurs when a little water enters the trachea and then the trachea immediately begins to spasm which prevents inhalation and exhalation.

In secondary drowning, the little bit of water gets into the lungs and causes eventual inflammation or swelling that makes it difficult or impossible for the body to transfer oxygen to carbon dioxide and vice versa. Dry drowning usually happens soon after exiting the water, but with secondary drowning, there can be a delay of up to 24 hours before the person shows signs of distress.
Dry Drowning Symptoms: Know the Warning Signs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member