CA CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
My feeling is that RT's version of what happened could have some truth to it, but not the whole truth. I believe Barbara could be still be in the desert, but in a different location to where he indicated.

They could have parked somewhere, and stood in the shade of the camper to have a beer (this way, the bikini and beer would make sense) and they got into an argument. Or perhaps an argument started inside the camper and Barbara went outside to separate herself from her husband. He then drove off, either as a "joke" or to teach her a lesson, but when he was ready to return, he couldn't see her and perhaps couldn't remember the exact location (does everything look the same there?). He could have searched around for a while, and decided that she must have hitched a ride out of there, and then he called the police.

It would have looked bad, if he left her in the desert (even with the intention of going back) and something happened to her, so he said it was her that left him, not the other way around.

If this theory is correct, what would Barbara be likely to do when she found herself stranded, would she hitch a ride with some stranger driving by? She had no clothes, ID, money etc, but could have waved someone down and asked to use their cellphone, to either call him or the police. She would expect him to come back for her - no-one would think their partner would just leave them in the desert. She may have sought shelter and just waited for him to return …
Now that is a theory that I would never think of but makes PERFECT sense! I mean it would fit in with my personal impreassion of RT (just my gut feeling from the very start of the case) that he could be that kind cold reckless persona despite not looking like that on the outside in public. MOO and pure speculation of course

SBM

The other leads could be reported sightings of BT at other locations. JMO
I think it's typical of LE to pursue every lead, or at least any tips they receive, even if those tips seem insignificant or unrelated.
Although I would think if they had a solid lead, (such as several sightings)
They would be asking the public for help. Imo

There's just nothing whatsoever to support her ever having been there, except the word of a man who went on national tv and told the world he flunked his polygraph and he was the prime suspect. This, despite the fact that LE has never said there was a crime being investigated.

I keep looking to what LE has and hasn't said r/t BT's disappearance for some guidance.
It may be helpful for us to focus solely on what LE is and isn't telling us.
I've been reviewing everything we have and haven't gotten from LE's corner.

Here's what we have:
Husband of missing 69-year-old hiker says police consider him a suspect
  • Statements re: No evidence that BT was abducted (directly refuting RB's theory)
  • Statements re: Not a single trace of BT having been found.
  • Statement that LE is "unaware" of how long RT and BT were separated before she disappeared.
  • Statement that LE "doesn't know" how far BT was from the RV at the time they became separated.
One logical explanation for the first 3 bullet points would be that BT was never at that location.

There is NO logical explanation for the last 2 bolded bullet points...if one assumes LE believes RT's version of events is true, at least.

The last 2 bullet points do make perfect sense if one assumes LE does not believe RT's account of what happened that day.

Then, there's this intriguing shift in LE's language, and the equally intriguing timing of it:
July 22nd - The investigation continues into the whereabouts of missing person Barbara Thomas from SBSD - Colorado River Sheriffs Department : Nixle

Through July 16th, LE's language is that there had been "no sightings" of BT.

RT gives his interview to Inside Edition on July 17th, gives his bikini and beer explanation for her disappearance, and oh, yeah, LE told him his polygraph showed he was being deceptive, but not to worry, on account of he "knows they aren't 100%" and he "hadn't slept the night before."

On the 17th and 18th, LE doesn't include their usual sentence r/t there being "no sightings" of BT in their daily update.

Then, on July 19th, the language from LE changes from "no sightings" of BT to, "no evidence of Barbara" being found in that desert.

Also noting: July 15th is the last date that LE includes the statement that "Barbara was last seen in the area of Kelbaker/Hidden Hills near the 1-40."

After that, LE merely states that they're searching in that area.

They do NOT state that it's the area where she "was last seen" in any updates after July 15.

The timing of their introduction of the word "evidence" into the status of their search is interesting, as is their dropping of the language after July 15th that she was "last seen" there.
RSABBM:
Sgt. Allison with the San Bernardino's County Sheriff's Department said they exhausted all resources looking for the 69-year-old.

"We utilized department-wide resources which includes search and rescue," said Allison. "We have hundreds of volunteers across the county that volunteer specifically for search and rescue."

Helicopters and tracking K-9's were also used in the search, but it wasn't enough.

The sheriff's department stopped looking for Barbara Thomas July 22nd. They're pursuing other leads

I absolutely read this as LE stating they conducted a comprehensive search and satisfied themselves that she is not out there.

Why would LE go on the record with the statement that they are "pursuing other leads" if they believed she had gone lost in that location?

Rhetorical question.

I'm just pulling all these loosely-knit threads from LE, and to me, it's all leading to a rather obvious conclusion.

One which, unfortunately, we can't fully explore or discuss here.

I'm having to content myself with ongoing and spirited discussions with my main man, William of Occam.

William's thoughts fall entirely outside of WS TOS, so he's informed me that it's probably best that doesn't join our group right now.

I explained to him that's perfectly fine, because we don't need him to tell us what we already know, anyway.
Besides, he charges really outrageous consultation fees.
Dude's like a total scam artist.

JMO.

Really nice summary. I tend to agree with William. I think I might like you in real life too, @GordianKnot.

I know I sound like a broken record bringing up that Oasis gas station off the I40 at exit 107, but I think there may be something useful there.

After looking closer at the map a few minutes ago of where the gas station is, I hadn't realized that if you exit from the north side of the property, you get out at the old Route 66 AT Hidden Hill Rd. Yep, the same Hidden Hill Rd that meets Kelbaker Rd where LE was called to on July 12.

If I could, I would search Hidden Hill Rd between Route 66 and Kelbaker Rd for signs of Barbara. IMHO

I believe Hidden Hill Rd is an unpaved road. Does anyone know if one can haul a 5th wheel camper on a road like that? I'm thinking it would not be a good idea.

-Snipped by me-

• Statement that LE is "unaware" of how long RT and BT were separated before she disappeared.
  • Statement that LE "doesn't know" how far BT was from the RV at the time they became separated.
One logical explanation for the first 3 bullet points would be that BT was never at that location.

There is NO logical explanation for the last 2 bolded bullet points...if one assumes LE believes RT's version of events is true, at least.

I disagree.
They obviously do not know this; Robert was at the rock making pictures, that is when they separated, but it is unclear how long after that, for instance just around the corner, at the road or near the RV was when she disappeared.
That information is unknown.

They do state Robert an Barbara separated at some point, and Barbara heading to the RV, which to me is an indication they do believe Robert.

-Snipped by me-

I disagree.
They obviously do not know this; Robert was at the rock making pictures, that is when they separated, but it is unclear how long after that, for instance just around the corner, at the road or near the RV was when she disappeared.

They do state Robert an Barbara separated at some point, and Barbara heading to the RV, which to me is an indication they do believe Robert.
I’d love a link to remember this. I’ve never seen them say she was anywhere. I’ve only read HE said she was somewhere.

I think it's typical of LE to pursue every lead, or at least any tips they receive, even if those tips seem insignificant or unrelated.
Although I would think if they had a solid lead, (such as several sightings)
They would be asking the public for help. Imo
It's not only typical it's for a good reason.

If a person is arrested and charged with murder and it's found that LE didn't investigate and eliminate possible leads that could point to another person, the defense will use that fact to claim that LE did a poor job and focused solely on their innocent client. JMO

I'm not sure that LE thinks she was not abducted.

I'm not sure what LE thinks happened because they haven't told us yet. JMO

Actually, LE has told us they don't think she was abducted.
Most definitely. See below:

California police say missing hiker who vanished 'in her bikini' was NOT abducted | Daily Mail Online
SABBM:
Robert has also claimed that he was interviewed by police, failed a polygraph test about his wife's disappearance and was told that he was 'deceptive'.

He believes someone abducted his wife because she was in a bikini and carrying a beer, he said during an interview last week.

But as the search for Barbara entered its 10th day on Monday amid sweltering heat in the Californian and Arizona desert, San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department dismissed the idea that she had been taken.

'We don't think she was abducted. It's a very remote area. There's no evidence to suggest she was abducted,' spokeswoman Jodi Miller told DailyMail.com.

There's just nothing whatsoever to support her ever having been there, except the word of a man who went on national tv and told the world he flunked his polygraph and he was the prime suspect. This, despite the fact that LE has never said there was a crime being investigated.

I keep looking to what LE has and hasn't said r/t BT's disappearance for some guidance.
It may be helpful for us to focus solely on what LE is and isn't telling us.
I've been reviewing everything we have and haven't gotten from LE's corner.

Here's what we have:
Husband of missing 69-year-old hiker says police consider him a suspect
  • Statements re: No evidence that BT was abducted (directly refuting RB's theory)
  • Statements re: Not a single trace of BT having been found.

The last 2 bullet points do make perfect sense if one assumes LE does not believe RT's account of what happened that day.

Then, there's this intriguing shift in LE's language, and the equally intriguing timing of it:
July 22nd - The investigation continues into the whereabouts of missing person Barbara Thomas from SBSD - Colorado River Sheriffs Department : Nixle

Through July 16th, LE's language is that there had been "no sightings" of BT.

RT gives his interview to Inside Edition on July 17th, gives his bikini and beer explanation for her disappearance, and oh, yeah, LE told him his polygraph showed he was being deceptive, but not to worry, on account of he "knows they aren't 100%" and he "hadn't slept the night before."

On the 17th and 18th, LE doesn't include their usual sentence r/t there being "no sightings" of BT in their daily update.

Then, on July 19th, the language from LE changes from "no sightings" of BT to, "no evidence of Barbara" being found in that desert.

Also noting: July 15th is the last date that LE includes the statement that "Barbara was last seen in the area of Kelbaker/Hidden Hills near the 1-40."

After that, LE merely states that they're searching in that area.

They do NOT state that it's the area where she "was last seen" in any updates after July 15.

The timing of their introduction of the word "evidence" into the status of their search is interesting, as is their dropping of the language after July 15th that she was "last seen" there.
RSABBM:
Sgt. Allison with the San Bernardino's County Sheriff's Department said they exhausted all resources looking for the 69-year-old.

"We utilized department-wide resources which includes search and rescue," said Allison. "We have hundreds of volunteers across the county that volunteer specifically for search and rescue."

Helicopters and tracking K-9's were also used in the search, but it wasn't enough.

The sheriff's department stopped looking for Barbara Thomas July 22nd. They're pursuing other leads

I absolutely read this as LE stating they conducted a comprehensive search and satisfied themselves that she is not out there.

Why would LE go on the record with the statement that they are "pursuing other leads" if they believed she had gone lost in that location?

Rhetorical question.

I'm just pulling all these loosely-knit threads from LE, and to me, it's all leading to a rather obvious conclusion.

One which, unfortunately, we can't fully explore or discuss here.

I'm having to content myself with ongoing and spirited discussions with my main man, William of Occam.

William's thoughts fall entirely outside of WS TOS, so he's informed me that it's probably best that doesn't join our group right now.

I explained to him that's perfectly fine, because we don't need him to tell us what we already know, anyway.
Besides, he charges really outrageous consultation fees.
Dude's like a total scam artist.

JMO.

Very thorough synopsis and it's been mine from get go. I haven't focused much on the interviews with RT because I was biased. He reminded me in his actions and words of a person I know who is known to not be truthful. I did however pay close attention to what LE said and didn't say during the searches. Some have said LE and SAR wouldn't have wasted their time in that terribly hot location if they didn't believe they would find her there, but yes they would. They're obligated to do that. The only witness, RT, says that's where she was last seen. They searched diligently. They said there was no evidence of Barbara found.
I hope they do have other leads, sightings, etc., that they're following up on and most of all that she's found. This family needs answers.

Actually, LE has told us they don't think she was abductly.
Most definitely. See below:

California police say missing hiker who vanished 'in her bikini' was NOT abducted | Daily Mail Online
SABBM:
Robert has also claimed that he was interviewed by police, failed a polygraph test about his wife's disappearance and was told that he was 'deceptive'.

He believes someone abducted his wife because she was in a bikini and carrying a beer, he said during an interview last week.

But as the search for Barbara entered its 10th day on Monday amid sweltering heat in the Californian and Arizona desert, San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department dismissed the idea that she had been taken.

'We don't think she was abducted. It's a very remote area. There's no evidence to suggest she was abducted,' spokeswoman Jodi Miller told DailyMail.com.
Thanks for correcting me.

Let me word it better, LE hasn't said for a fact that BT was not abducted and they haven't told us what they do think happened to her. JMO

-Snipped by me-

I disagree.

Law enforcement wouldn’t tip their hand here, and were compelled to do their due diligence.

I for one, do not believe that some random abductor targeted her, happening upon a scantily clad woman walking alone, holding a beer.

I’ve said this before, but Rob is trying to convince us that Barb was the equivalent of a pile of money placed in front of a thief.

Totally irresistible.

That stretches all credibility, and wreaks of a man trying to sell a fanciful tale.

First, a person with the capacity to abduct would have to be passing by.

Then, they would have to happen upon the perfect target, walking alone.

Then, they would have to pull this off without leaving a trace.

If one believes she is lost, that has problems too.

Big problems.

I have noticed that the majority of the scenarios here suggest a lying RT an involved RT, Barbara was never there scenarios, and/or red flags about nearly everything RT has said (kidnapped, carrying a beer, love of his life etc) and RT and BT have done (dog, kennel, hiking prior to China trip, beer, bikini, writing/keeping love notes), and assumptions about RT (did not want her to go to China etc).

It may be common to let your mind go over the person who saw her last, even more if his words are the only thing you can work with, but why not thinking up scenarios in which one goes by the presumption he is telling the truth, and see where that thought leads to?

He may after all just be telling the truth about everything, at least I believe so.

Why not take it up for this man who's wife disappeared, rather then casting doubt on his every word and move? Just wondering.

Last edited:
The desert out there in some parts looks flat but it's really little hills. So if someone fell down from heat you would not see them even 100 feet away. I remember seeing this from my grandparent's place and thinking I would never want to walk out there.

I have noticed that the majority of the scenarios here suggest a lying RT an involved RT, Barbara was never there scenarios, and/or red flags about nearly everything RT has said (kidnapped, carrying a beer, love of his live etc) and RT and BT have done (dog, kennel, hiking prior to China trip, beer, bikini, writing/keeping love notes), and assumptions about RT (did not want her to go to China etc).

It may be common to let your mind go over the person who saw her last, even more if his words are the only thing you can work with, but why not thinking up scenarios in which one goes by the presumption he is telling the truth, and see where that thought leads to?

He may after all just be telling the truth about everything, at least I believe so.

Why not take it up for this man who's wife disappeared, rather then casting doubt on his every word and move? Just wondering.
I think that is the right spirit, and approach. I don’t think all possibilities that support his position have been exhausted.

Amateur opinion and speculation

I have noticed that the majority of the scenarios here suggest a lying RT an involved RT, Barbara was never there scenarios, and/or red flags about nearly everything RT has said (kidnapped, carrying a beer, love of his live etc) and RT and BT have done (dog, kennel, hiking prior to China trip, beer, bikini, writing/keeping love notes), and assumptions about RT (did not want her to go to China etc).

That's how it's supposed to work here on Websleuths when there is no named POI or suspect by LE.

Scenarios that involve unknown persons should be part of the discussion if a member wants to. JMO

General reply to no one in particular.
I have a strong feeling B was not in that spot at all that day.
The searches conducted never proved that she was.
As to when any pictures were taken, LE knows all of that by now. Period.
Continuing to share any and everywhere, especially with professional drivers out on the road.
Where is Barbara? www.wetip.com

If you are reading here and think you may have seen or heard anything relevant to this disappearance, please phone it in and you can remain anonymous.
Chi,
# because we never give up

missing-flyercolor.jpg

Snipped by me
Rob is trying to convince us that Barb was the equivalent of a pile of money placed in front of a thief.

Totally irresistible.

To him she was.

That stretches all credibility, and wreaks of a man trying to sell a fanciful tale.

He was in love with his wife, to him she was the most beautiful thing on earth.
<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
Law enforcement wouldn’t tip their hand here, and were compelled to do their due diligence.

I for one, do not believe that some random abductor targeted her, happening upon a scantily clad woman walking alone, holding a beer.

I’ve said this before, but Rob is trying to convince us that Barb was the equivalent of a pile of money placed in front of a thief.

Totally irresistible.

First, a person with the capacity to abduct would have to be passing by.

Then, they would have to happen upon the perfect target, walking alone.

Then, they would have to pull this off without leaving a trace.

If one believes she is lost, that has problems too.

Big problems.
BBM:

Gorgeous post! I couldn't have said it better myself (there's me, being all humble again).

I like working from a point of looking at what's most logical and probable vs. what's only the most remotely bit possible.

The improbability of all the stars aligning in such a way as to make abduction a viable scenario here is astronomically huge.

Since RT seems to favor references to Vegas, let's just consider this from an odds-making perspective.

Show of hands: Who here would bet their life's savings that BT's been abducted?

I assure you, there ain't no way I'm placing that bet.

I'd sooner blow my life's savings on lottery tickets.

JMO.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members