Canada - Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #15

Status
Not open for further replies.
<modsnip: quoted post was removed>

It was interesting to read in the RCMP's latest news release that their B.C. investigators have engaged the RCMP’s behavioural analysis unit in order to gain more clarity into the suspects.

It's not clear whether that was done from the outset (i.e. when the two became suspects), or whether they just decided to do this after their deaths.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was interesting to read in the RCMP's latest news release that their B.C. investigators have engaged the RCMP’s behavioural analysis unit in order to gain more clarity into the suspects.

It's not clear whether that was done from the outset (i.e. when the two became suspects), or whether they just decided to do this after their deaths.
I have a feeling they engaged some at the beginning especially after the Dease Lake murder to try get a sense on where they may have fled to. The BAU in other cases I've followed are quite amazing in how they can pull all that together.

I don't want to plant any suggestion...I'm curious what other people think.

I think I see the Jeep twice. Once about halfway and at the end before they drive away. I also note that they must have filled the tank full as Lucas was on the side a long time. And possibly the passenger door only opens from the inside.

This is a really good video with good map, it came out yesterday (apologies if it has been posted already) from The Globe and Mail @meltait (Melissa Tait) who was up there with Renata - An RCMP statement said the bodies found Aug. 7 were those of Bryer Schmegelsky & Kam McLeod, adding “There are strong indications that they had been alive for a few days since last seen in July and during the extensive search efforts in the Gillam area.” The Globe and Mail on Twitter

This is a really good video with good map, it came out yesterday (apologies if it has been posted already) from The Globe and Mail @meltait (Melissa Tait) who was up there with Renata - An RCMP statement said the bodies found Aug. 7 were those of Bryer Schmegelsky & Kam McLeod, adding “There are strong indications that they had been alive for a few days since last seen in July and during the extensive search efforts in the Gillam area.” The Globe and Mail on Twitter

Wow. It cuts to the core.

Behavioural analysts could help determine motive in B.C. murders: Expert

Once Mounties have completed a review of the case over the next few weeks, they’ve said they will provide families with an update, then release it publicly.

Van Allen said analysts in the case are likely reviewing crime scene evidence, interviewing friends and family of the suspects and looking over other material, including online posts by the men before their deaths.

It’s not an exact science but behavioural analysis has been used to create profiles of unknown suspects, to develop strategies for interviewing witnesses and to determine the truthfulness of statements in trials, he said.

“A behavioural interpretation will never have the certainty of a fingerprint comparison or ballistics comparison. That’s the nature of human behaviour.”

[...]

Particularly brutal killings suggest explosive anger and offer direction to investigators in cases with no suspects.

“If you see an angry crime, then we’re looking for an angry offender,” Van Allen said. “Who has been mistreated in the last few weeks? Who’s been evicted from their home? Terminated from their job?”

Crime scenes can also show that more than one killer is involved, he said.

“I’ve looked at crime scenes where you see two distinct styles of conduct,” he said. “You’ll see one (victim) is treated more brutally or unempathetically than the other. You might have a minor act of consideration for one victim. And those are two different thinking perspectives — they come from two different personalities.”

[...]

If a killer’s online history reveals a search for similar crimes, that can indicate that it was planned, he added

I think I see the Jeep twice. Once about halfway and at the end before they drive away. I also note that they must have filled the tank full as Lucas was on the side a long time. And possibly the passenger door only opens from the inside.
The silver with a black race stripe of the Bearded Man?

Great video...thanks.

From the article: “The seemingly indiscriminate violence of their crimes, along with a nail-biting cat-and-mouse game between the teenagers and the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, has shocked Canada, which prides itself on its sensible gun laws and liberal humanism.”

Lazy writing about a culture the writer clearly only knows at a very superficial level. Canadians are not shocked because of “sensible gun laws and liberal humanism”. We’re shocked about what everybody else is shocked about. The stranger on stranger violence seemingly perpetrated by men not yet 20 on a real time run through the northern wilds, torching vehicles as a dark flourish along the way. This is the second time I’ve seen somebody imply this will somehow shatter our sense of something or other, particularly as it relates to guns. Disabuse yourselves of that notion world. LOL. This is not a gun story. It’s not a liberal humanism story. This will impact, for a while, what feels possible for people living close to these events or in comparable isolation. It will not be provoking some Canadian existential crisis.

It's the indiscriminate violence that the author says has shocked Canada, not Canada's sensible gun laws and liberal humanism.

Behavioural analysts could help determine motive in B.C. murders: Expert

Once Mounties have completed a review of the case over the next few weeks, they’ve said they will provide families with an update, then release it publicly.

Van Allen said analysts in the case are likely reviewing crime scene evidence, interviewing friends and family of the suspects and looking over other material, including online posts by the men before their deaths.

It’s not an exact science but behavioural analysis has been used to create profiles of unknown suspects, to develop strategies for interviewing witnesses and to determine the truthfulness of statements in trials, he said.

“A behavioural interpretation will never have the certainty of a fingerprint comparison or ballistics comparison. That’s the nature of human behaviour.”

[...]

Particularly brutal killings suggest explosive anger and offer direction to investigators in cases with no suspects.

“If you see an angry crime, then we’re looking for an angry offender,” Van Allen said. “Who has been mistreated in the last few weeks? Who’s been evicted from their home? Terminated from their job?”

Crime scenes can also show that more than one killer is involved, he said.

“I’ve looked at crime scenes where you see two distinct styles of conduct,” he said. “You’ll see one (victim) is treated more brutally or unempathetically than the other. You might have a minor act of consideration for one victim. And those are two different thinking perspectives — they come from two different personalities.”

[...]

If a killer’s online history reveals a search for similar crimes, that can indicate that it was planned, he added
Thanks for that link--I enjoyed that article and have been very interested in what the behavioral analysts have to say on this case ever since their involvement in the investigation was announced. The psychology of crime is what has always drawn me to true crime, anyway, and it certainly is what has fascinated me with this case.

Definitely going to continue keeping my eye on this thread for updates and news--especially awaiting the report the RCMP promised when everything is concluded--but since things have calmed down in the aftermath of the autopsy results being released, I'm also going to try to reclaim some of my life from spending so much time obsessing about this case. Try being the operative word. ;)

The silver with a black race stripe of the Bearded Man?

I think the surveillance video is a black wrangler. I think I see it go by twice.

The witness description of the bearded man described a Cherokee, for some reason I thought it was black but all I could find is this (no colour of the truck given, just the black stripe):
The man may be linked to an older-model Jeep Cherokee with a black stripe on the hood and a black bull bar with lights covered, and which was last seen travelling southbound.

Last edited:
by the way, has anybody managed to get a copy of the book? I'm thinking it may offer quite a bit of insight.

His book is not for sale.

The 132-page book, which Alan Schmegelsky said he planned to self-publish this week but now does not intend to publish for sale, reveals new details of his troubled life and his numerous encounters with police and courts.

He said he sent the book to reporters to highlight how a “broken system” has shaped him and his son.

‘It’s time for some truth’: Father of B.C. fugitive teen Bryer Schmegelsky reveals details of troubled life in book

You can read more about it in the linked article.

I'm pretty sure it's against the WS TOS to post/publicize members' quotes elsewhere. So if that YouTube guy quoting posters is a WS member, he needs to quit it.

I have removed posts discussing the youtube channel where the person is reading WS posts but could someone please send me a link to it.

Thanks.

Could you please provide something showing that those were in fact their Steam accounts? There has never been anything published to say this actually.

Also, please play the game Rust before making these assumptions. The game is absolutely nothing like you are thinking.
Also that account that is claimed to be Bryer's had just over 500 hours played of Rust over the course of 4 years. Doesn't seem like whoever owned that account played it all that much.

I want to clear up some things about my posts re: the game Rust. My intention is not to demean anyone who plays games online, violent games or non violent games. I certainly do not think games, *advertiser censored*, books, music, etc, can 'make' anyone more inclined towards violence (self-harm or outwardly) unless that predisposition is already there. At that point, a person who is inclined towards violence, may possibly act on their inclinations no matter what happens around them, or how much help is offered to them.

I looked up general info on Rust, and the suspects SM accounts because I was curious about their interests. If you look up PCGamer.com review from 2018 of the game Rust, there is a very informative and lengthy overview of the game. It is a strategic and violent game basically, and IMHO, there is nothing wrong with that.

As the suspects played this game a lot, possibly by themselves, and according to MSM reports, they also played online, with other players, they obviously liked playing the game, and probably took great care to learn how to play it well, and also had the intelligence to do that. Again, nothing wrong with that.

I do think it's possible that somewhere along the way, the line between virtual reality, and reality for these two, became blurred at some point. The human brain is amazingly complex at all ages, perhaps more so for toddlers, children, and teens, as they can grow and learn so quickly, and absorb huge amounts of data.

I think it is very sad that both suspects were not able to use their intelligence for better things (further education, getting a good job, living a happy life, etc). I do hope that by trying to understand what made them 'switch' in their brains (and gaming was just a part of their overall experience) we might be able to better help struggling teens and young adults deal with their own personal issues, and have a chance at a happy, productive life.

I’ve been following this case since the beginning but held off commenting until I was fully caught up on all the threads.

I was watching the CTV National News last night at 11pm and there was a story done by Jill Macyshon on this case. Macyshon said that KM and BS died by suicide and were found with two firearms - believed to be rifles - found by their bodies. That was the first I heard MSM report about the type of guns. Did anyone else catch that?

edited to add link:

CTV News | News Video - Top National News Headlines - News Videos

I watched that, the news anchor did say 'believed to be two rifles'. That's not something I've seen or heard yet, but I'll have to catch up with all the info here, from today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheMidge