Canada - Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #15

Status
Not open for further replies.
His book is not for sale.

The 132-page book, which Alan Schmegelsky said he planned to self-publish this week but now does not intend to publish for sale, reveals new details of his troubled life and his numerous encounters with police and courts.

He said he sent the book to reporters to highlight how a “broken system” has shaped him and his son.

‘It’s time for some truth’: Father of B.C. fugitive teen Bryer Schmegelsky reveals details of troubled life in book

You can read more about it in the linked article.

Yeah, he sent it to reporters, so that means it's out there.

And I find this, from the article, quite intriguing:

He said he sent the book to reporters to highlight how a “broken system” has shaped him and his son.

“My son and I have been treated like footballs. It’s time for some truth,” he said.

Killer's father wrote of murders
PressReader.com - Your favorite newspapers and magazines.

Alan Schmegelsy’s book reveals an interest in homicides and cop procedures, referring four times to police chases for murderers and gruesome serial killer cases.

He mentions a “provincewide manhunt” and “multimillion-dollar, province-wide search” and writes about two brutal serial killers in the rambling, 131-page memoir.

[…]

The text is laced with vicious criticism of Bryer’s mother, Deborah Sweeney. But also threaded throughout the book are a disturbing number of references to serial killers and manhunts for criminals.

Yeah, he sent it to reporters, so that means it's out there.

And I find this, from the article, quite intriguing:

“My son and I have been treated like footballs. It’s time for some truth,” he said.
Much of the media fail to say that he sent the book for possible publishing last year, and long before the killings <allegedly> by his son and Kam McLeod. If I recall DailyMail first 'broke' that news. He may not have written it well, however, he is correct in that it is a 'broken system' not only regarding parental rights but simply the horrific circumstances of the Red Cross tainted blood scandal 20 years ago. It was devastating to so many families. I do feel that sensationalist media sources such at DM after failing to find some juicy bits drag up things such as this book not caring about the ramifications toward the individuals.

Last edited by a moderator:

I think that many many people who have experienced frustrations from dealing with the system or being in the system will agree with him that it’s broken. People who haven’t been somehow touched by the system will be less understanding.

I wouldn’t mind reading his story if it became available, but while reading I would really prefer that his fictionalized parts of it were in a different font or highlighted.

Alan Schmegelsy’s book reveals an interest in homicides and cop procedures, referring four times to police chases for murderers and gruesome serial killer cases.

He mentions a “provincewide manhunt” and “multimillion-dollar, province-wide search” and writes about two brutal serial killers in the rambling, 131-page memoir.

I wonder if one of those he’s referring to is the downtown east side murders, many of which were women killed by a single person. Having been homeless I imagine he’s seen how people down and out sometimes receive less than adequate support or interest when a victim of crime.

This is an excerpt from (source) The George Straight which is a longtime publication from Vancouver, BC.
RCMP spokesperson unaware of any investigation into Australian interview with triple-murder suspect's dad
by Charlie Smith on August 14th, 2019 at 9:07 AM
The writer is referring to the Australian 60 Minutes interview and legality of payment:
"Yesterday, I contacted the B.C. RCMP to ask if it has launched an investigation of Alan Schmegelsky and/or 60 Minutes Australia to determine if either party may have violated the Profits of Criminal Notoriety Act.

Cpl. Chris Manseau replied that he was not aware of any investigation or complaint. He pointed that there hasn't even been confirmation that Schmegelsky was paid by 60 Minutes Australia.

My impression (and I could be wrong) is that this is the end of this matter. Consider it as yet another case of a journalist tilting at a windmill, as the saying goes."

This is an excerpt from (source) The George Straight which is a longtime publication from Vancouver, BC.
RCMP spokesperson unaware of any investigation into Australian interview with triple-murder suspect's dad
by Charlie Smith on August 14th, 2019 at 9:07 AM
The writer is referring to the Australian 60 Minutes interview and legality of payment:
"Yesterday, I contacted the B.C. RCMP to ask if it has launched an investigation of Alan Schmegelsky and/or 60 Minutes Australia to determine if either party may have violated the Profits of Criminal Notoriety Act.

Cpl. Chris Manseau replied that he was not aware of any investigation or complaint. He pointed that there hasn't even been confirmation that Schmegelsky was paid by 60 Minutes Australia.

My impression (and I could be wrong) is that this is the end of this matter. Consider it as yet another case of a journalist tilting at a windmill, as the saying goes."
Ridiculous. AS has committed no crimes, therefore he should be free to speak about it and profit from it if the opportunity presents itself.

Ridiculous. AS has committed no crimes, therefore he should be free to speak about it and profit from it if the opportunity presents itself.
Bus his son has committed crimes and the only reason why AS would make any money, be of any notice, is because of his son's crimes.

So it's ok by you for AS to profit from his son's crimes? It's ok for him to continue to disparage his wife in the press after 10 years of criminally harassing her?

Based upon what I read in the article, the law states direct family members may not profit from the crime - which would include selling his story to a media show.

I think the Canadian law in this matter is important as clarity and the possibility of enforcement might reduce the further books, movies, and other profit making ventures that could be envisioned by direct family members of suspects. I suspect, however, there would be litigation (for example, does the law apply to deceased suspects or just to convicted individuals).

At any rate, the ongoing public sharing of the father’s ideas/feelings along with the legal proceedings regarding the family/divorce provide insight into the disordered environment in which the suspect grew up and is sad.

Edited to add link to article which references Canadian law - RCMP spokesperson unaware of any investigation into Australian interview with triple-murder suspect's dad

Last edited:
I thought it was 10 year's worth of criminal harassment charges?
Sometimes it gets confusing for people - the BC court pages will show one charge, and then multiple appearances and reappearance in court dealing with them, example: 5 or 8 appearances, but it all deals with the same original charge. I'm not sure how many separate charges he had, I thought it was 1 or 2 occasions, but I'm don't fully recall.

I don't agree with the profit part of this, but I do agree that he should be free to speak about it if he feels the need. Considering he has very doubtfully been given any information from RCMP I understand why he still questions everything. I also think everyone does deal with grief differently and if this is how he is going to deal with it, well....he really has every right to do so. It may not be all that 'classy' to everyone, but to him it might be the only way he can think to try and get some answers.

Sometimes it gets confusing for people - the BC court pages will show one charge, and then multiple appearances and reappearance in court dealing with them, example: 5 or 8 appearances, but it all deals with the same original charge. I'm not sure how many separate charges he had, I thought it was 1 or 2 occasions, but I'm don't fully recall.
It only went on that long because he kept breaking court orders. If he had smartened up and obeyed the orders of the court, this would not have gone on right up to the present day.

The disparagement of his ex in his "book" may constitute harassment and have AS stringing things on even longer.

Killer's father wrote of murders
PressReader.com - Your favorite newspapers and magazines.

[…]

The text is laced with vicious criticism of Bryer’s mother, Deborah Sweeney. But also threaded throughout the book are a disturbing number of references to serial killers and manhunts for criminals.

Didn't he write this memoir long before the situation with Bryer and Kam? Sounds like he might actually have shared some similar ideologies with Bryer if he really was mentioning manhunts and serial killings. Also, what a strange coincidence if he had written specifically about "two brutal serial killers" in a memoir about his life long before any of this happened. Talk about a foreshadowing.
jmo.

Didn't he write this memoir long before the situation with Bryer and Kam? Sounds like he might actually have shared some similar ideologies with Bryer if he really was mentioning manhunts and serial killings. Also, what a strange coincidence if he had written specifically about "two brutal serial killers" in a memoir about his life long before any of this happened. Talk about a foreshadowing.
jmo.
I think he may have been a bad influence on BS by idolizing serial killers that were able to escape justice for some time, and taking an anti-law-enforcement stance.

The book was written in 12 days, 10 months ago.

The following quote was made by the journalist who wrote the opinion piece in the Georgia Strait

I find it slightly ironic that I looked up tilting at a windmill - Tilting at windmills means fighting imaginary enemies, according to search results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sumner