CA CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went back to early posts, since we sadly are lacking new info.
dbdb11 has said that RT said that the 360 photo BT took while up on the hill that day in their walk included “cars in the parking lot below” and RT was very upset police were not looking into the owners of those cars as “potential suspects”.

So, based on RT’s words, others were there in the general area where RT and BT were. They weren’t alone alone.
I do wonder if LE was able to find and interview these vehicle owners. I hope so. And where is this parking lot? Did we ever have a probable guess on which lot this would be?

Dbdb11’s post where he mentions this:
CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #4

I don't know whether it has been established that the hill from which the 360 was said to have been taken was on the same walk from which RT said BT disappeared. I think @dbdb11 ultimately concluded that the S-bend in the road (in the quoted post) that he believed was near the parking lot was in error and that what had initially looked like a parking lot in the satellite photo was in fact some sort of building.

I don't know whether there's a parking lot within sight of the rock formation in the location where the search was conducted. JMO

Televised interviews changed the wording and RT went to the RV to see if BT was there because BT went ahead of him on the trail.
BBM

True, in the interview RT might have said that he called 911 at noon... but the call logs show the only call came in at 3:26 pm.
So it's possible that the reporter changed his words or misunderstood RT.
I think that msm articles or news reports about Barbara would have been corrected by now to reflect the actual time.

I don't know whether it has been established that the hill from which the 360 was said to have been taken was on the same walk from which RT said BT disappeared. I think @dbdb11 ultimately concluded that the S-bend in the road (in the quoted post) that he believed was near the parking lot was in error and that what had initially looked like a parking lot in the satellite photo was in fact some sort of building.

I don't know whether there's a parking lot within sight of the rock formation in the location where the search was conducted. JMO
I looked at Google and I couldn't tell if you could see Kelso Depot from the area they were in? Maybe @sroads could tell us the answer? I did noodle around the depot building itself and saw cameras btw.

dbdb11 has said that RT said that the 360 photo BT took while up on the hill that day in their walk included “cars in the parking lot below” and RT was very upset police were not looking into the owners of those cars as “potential suspects”.

So, based on RT’s words, others were there in the general area where RT and BT were. They weren’t alone alone.
I do wonder if LE was able to find and interview these vehicle owners. I hope so. And where is this parking lot? Did we ever have a probable guess on which lot this would be?

CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #4
Emph. mine
Thanks for adding the link, @slowpoke !

I'd forgotten about RT wanting LE to look at potential suspects. He was also upset that LE messed up the crime scene ; since RT feels she may have been kidnapped.

What stands out in this case is the lack of concrete information.
Like searching for a small sailboat in the ocean with no solid leads as to which location it might be floating.

Goodness, that incident occurred on the same day.:( And as CA goes, not that far apart.

Approximately 268 miles between where Cheryl Powell was and BT and RT purportedly stopped. To my knowledge LE never found any trace of alleged perp in Powell’s case.

Attachments

• 1C6AFE02-A21F-4CD9-86E8-6BFAF0E2A9A6.png
    1C6AFE02-A21F-4CD9-86E8-6BFAF0E2A9A6.png
    313.4 KB · Views: 7
I looked at Google and I couldn't tell if you could see Kelso Depot from the area they were in? Maybe @sroads could tell us the answer? I did noodle around the depot building itself and saw cameras btw.
I don't think so, since there is 16 miles between Kelso Depot and Kelbaker/Hidden Hill Rd, if that helps.

Sweeney Granite Mountains Desert Research Center is 3 miles from the intersection of Hidden Hills and Kelbaker Rd. according to my Google maps app on my iPhone. IIRC, did someone believe he could’ve been referring to a hill near there? MOO It seems too far away. Perhaps another turnout location near an intersecting trail? Slowpoke, I hope LE was able to find some witnesses too

BBM

True, in the interview RT might have said that he called 911 at noon... but the call logs show the only call came in at 3:26 pm.
So it's possible that the reporter changed his words or misunderstood RT.
I think that msm articles or news reports about Barbara would have been corrected by now to reflect the actual time.

I thought RT only mentioned a 12 noon 911 call when talking with BT's family, as recollected by @dbdb11's sister. I'm not aware of a TV interview or media report in which that earlier time was mentioned, but of course I could've missed something. I think the change of wording referred to may be regarding what RT said re how he lost sight of BT and why she went back to the RV. JMO

Last edited:
ADMIN NOTE:

No discussing moderation, VIs or other members, or whether or not you agree with WS rules.

If you take issue with any of the above, please contact a Mod or Admin via private messaging to discuss.

Thanks.

I thought RT only mentioned a 12 noon 911 call when talking with BT's family, as recollected by @dbdb11's sister. I'm not aware of a TV interview or media report in which that earlier time was mentioned, but of course I could've missed something. I think the change of wording referred to may be regarding what RT said re how he lost sight of BT and why she went back to the RV. JMO

Same. I've only seen the VI recounting RT telling Barbara's family he called 911 at noon.

Televised interviews changed the wording and RT went to the RV to see if BT was there because BT went ahead of him on the trail.

I appreciate your reply oceanstarryeyes! Televised interviews often pick and choose what they do or do not include. In this case, however, I’m referring to RT’s actual words, not the reported words, in his first interview.

“...because she needed ??? the RV...”

RT’s first interview can be found on Page 1 of Thread #2 posted by PommyMommy and titled in red font: “RT’s Interviews”)

For some reason, my iPhone won’t let me bring that forward from Thread #2; and the original source article only has an “updated” interview now (RT’s 2nd interview I believe). At least, that’s all I can find with my searching skills online. I’m glad PommyMommy has saved everything here

Same. I've only seen the VI recounting RT telling Barbara's family he called 911 at noon.
^^^ I believe you are correct. :)

Hoping there will be good news soon.
This has been dragging out far too long .
It feels like we've been going around in circles, just trying to just get the few facts we have ... straight.
Because this missing person case is all over the place and not clear cut ... if that makes any sense.

No 'last photo of'.
No description of clothing that has remained constant.
No positive location that has been verified with security cams -- or the aforementioned photo.
No photos of her captured at a convenience store or restaurant they may have stopped at.
No consistent timeline of where they drove that day.
A lot of nothing.

Sweeney Granite Mountains Desert Research Center is 3 miles from the intersection of Hidden Hills and Kelbaker Rd. according to my Google maps app on my iPhone. IIRC, did someone believe he could’ve been referring to a hill near there? MOO It seems too far away. Perhaps another turnout location near an intersecting trail? Slowpoke, I hope LE was able to find some witnesses too

I am NOT tech savvy, so bear with me on my very un-techy language, lol:

I don’t know if this is also visible through Google Maps, but I was on Google Earth at these coordinates: (34.8036730, -115.6118710)
There is what appears to be a large dirt turnout on the west side of Kelbaker, but if I do the following I see an actual paved parking lot:

I touched the little stick-type of person of Google Earth, which I guess gives you a look on the street. Kelbaker turns blue, but there’s also little blue dots nearby where apparently people submitted their own photos. I touched a couple of those dots near the lot, and lo and behold I see an asphalt lot striped for cars to park.

Could this be the one visible on the 360 photo?

Last edited:
I appreciate your reply oceanstarryeyes! Televised interviews often pick and choose what they do or do not include. In this case, however, I’m referring to RT’s actual words, not the reported words, in his first interview.

“...because she needed ??? the RV...”

RT’s first interview can be found on Page 1 of Thread #2 posted by PommyMommy and titled in red font: “RT’s Interviews”)

For some reason, my iPhone won’t let me bring that forward from Thread #2; and the original source article only has an “updated” interview now (RT’s 2nd interview I believe). At least, that’s all I can find with my searching skills online. I’m glad PommyMommy has saved everything here
BBM

I'm thankful as well. :)

From @PommyMommy 's excellent post :

RT's Interviews

At the 1:13 mark - 1st interview
"My feeling is that she was picked up. Because she had to cross the highway. She was wearing a bikini and she had a beer in her hand."

At the 1:12 mark - 2nd interview
"I feel that, uh, somebody picked her up, uh, because she was wearing a bikini, she had a beer in her hand, and she was ahead of me and she had to cross that road."

Last edited:

I don’t know if this is also visible through Google Maps, but I was on Google Earth at these coordinates: (34.8036730, -115.6118710)
There is what appears to be a large dirt turnout on the west side of Kelbaker, but if I do the following I see an actual paved parking lot:

I touched the little stick-type of person of Google Earth, which I guess gives you a look on the street. Kelbaker turns blue, but there’s also little blue dots nearby where apparently people submitted their own photos. I touched a couple of those dots near the lot, and lo and behold I see an asphalt lot striped for cars to park.

Do you mean this one? (I'm using Google maps rather than Google Earth because I find it simpler.)
Google Maps

That does look like it's around half a mile north of the turnout where SAR set up their command post and where RT said BT disappeared. Assuming RT (BT??) took the 360 photo on their walk (as opposed to earlier somewhere else), that does seem like a possible candidate for the parking lot he says was there. Good find!
JMO

ETA: it has been pointed out that RT said BT took the picture.

Last edited:

Yes. And it's possible it's the Desert Studies Center (I think it's run by one of the CSU's, but can't remember right now). Not a well-populated place, but it is there.

Do you mean this one? (I'm using Google maps rather than Google Earth because I find it simpler.)
Google Maps

That does look like it's around half a mile north of the turnout where SAR set up their command post and where RT said BT disappeared. Assuming RT took the 360 photo on their walk (as opposed to earlier somewhere else), that does seem like a possible candidate for the parking lot he says was there. Good find!
JMO

I thought RT said that Barbara took the picture (thereby explaining her absence in it - but I am not sure). Let's just keep that one in the pile of "we don't know for sure."

Where is this woman?! I know aliens didn't come down and get her! :eek: That's one thing to cross off the list.

In a case discussed in the last couple of pages, it took 11 months to find a woman who died, apparently of heat, about 15 miles from where Barb disappeared (area is hotter, but still...the woman was younger).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sweetkittykat