CA CA - Otay, WhtFemale, 14-18, UP16712, homicide, burned, deformed right ear, extensive dental work, Feb'78

Although there were a lot of ranches around where she could have worked, still wondered if this was a "normal" clothing item those days. Found this:

Bib overalls became the uniform of the working stiff, their baggy silhouette serving as an emblem of Depression-era farmers. Later, they became emblematic of hippies of the ’60s, college students of the ’70s
I recall wearing overalls and seeing others wearing them back then.

Good research / observation. I remember teenagers in the later part of the 1980s wearing bib over alls as fashion statements and not utility clothes, but was not aware of the earlier trend. As you indicated, it seems very possible that the victim could of been wearing them as fashion accessories and been part of the counter cultural movement.

Though the victim could well have been part of a small group renting a rural home, I don't think she would have been from an encampment. To my knowledge, San Diego never attracted a large number of counter cultural types in that era. The county is known for conservatism, thus less tolerance of encampments. Most rural areas in the county have little shade / water outside of a few small creeks and poor soil. This would seem to put a damper on private communes who depended on large scale gardens.

An exception to the trend would be the tolerant Oceanside neighborhood / town (technically part of San Diego, but is usually considered a separate town), which has been a destination of youth drifters for generations. The remote location where the victim was found, however, could indicate a local perpetrator.

As a side note, an influx of a large number of drifting youth who mix unemployment with aggression inducing drugs has pushed even tolerant "OB" residents into calling for stricter enforcements of local ordinances.

Last edited:
Are there rule outs? I was reading about Sarah Tokier, missing from Montebello, CA since aprox. 1976 -1977. I wouldn't have associated her with this Jane Doe until I saw a picture of her twin brother, a former cop and alleged kidnapper. His ears are very distinctive and very different from each other, the right one somehow deformed and smaller. Could it be that his twin sister Sarah Tokier had the same kind of ears (can't see it very good on the one picture of her, but it might be so) or is this a silly thought.

There aren't any ruleouts showing in Namus. https://www.namus.gov/Unidentified
Persons/Case#/16712/details

Sarah Tokier's Namus (The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)) shows she's been compared to these California UIDs:
UP7690
UP9938
UP10647
UP5028

Thanks Carbuff, I like Slick btw.

Sarah Tokier's Namus (The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)) shows she's been compared to these California UIDs:
UP7690 = Unsure race, but picture shows a African American/biracial female IMO
UP9938 = Seems more logical to compare with
UP10647 = Is identified
UP5028[/QUOTE] = a African American female

I don't understand the logic of this.....

Last edited:
There probably isn't any logic to it. Either Namus suggested the possibility based on any of a number of characteristics, or LE on either end thought it was possible, or her family requested it, or etc etc. A while back the state of Virginia went through and compared all their missing people and UIDs to anybody who could possibly be a match, so nearly any missing person you look at has a list of Virginia ruleouts.

I've noticed that LE tends to place a lot more weight on circumstances than anything else, so if something about the UID's timing, location, and so on matched Sarah's, that would often trigger a comparison. We've seen at least two cases in the past few months where the race of the UID was just wrong.

There probably isn't any logic to it. Either Namus suggested the possibility based on any of a number of characteristics, or LE on either end thought it was possible, or her family requested it, or etc etc. A while back the state of Virginia went through and compared all their missing people and UIDs to anybody who could possibly be a match, so nearly any missing person you look at has a list of Virginia ruleouts.

I've noticed that LE tends to place a lot more weight on circumstances than anything else, so if something about the UID's timing, location, and so on matched Sarah's, that would often trigger a comparison. We've seen at least two cases in the past few months where the race of the UID was just wrong.

It's totally okay....just to be sure thing, I guess. She is probably compared to a lot more girls/women and not named in the list. It seems like CA is full of body's....I'm glad I don't have the workload (although I have one, but a different one) LE has there.

It's totally okay....just to be sure thing, I guess. She is probably compared to a lot more girls/women and not named in the list. It seems like CA is full of body's....I'm glad I don't have the workload (although I have one, but a different one) LE has there.

Yes, she's been compared to a bunch of other UIDs from around the country. I just included the CA ones since that seemed more relevant to this UID.

I've read that Los Angeles county alone has over 10,000 unidentified and unclaimed deaths each year. I can't even imagine. I mean, they say the state of California would be like the tenth biggest country in the world if it was its own country, so it's not surprising they have so many.

Comparing the sketch with long hair different angle to one of Julie with same. Julie's nose looks a bit different in each photo, and she's wearing a good amount of frosted lipstick in the photo of her with shorter hair which I feel makes her lips seem fuller.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-08-21-13-31-18_kindlephoto-20359394.png
    Screenshot_2019-08-21-13-31-18_kindlephoto-20359394.png
    644.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_2019-08-21-13-31-42_kindlephoto-20398777.png
    Screenshot_2019-08-21-13-31-42_kindlephoto-20398777.png
    251.2 KB · Views: 3
View attachment 199497 I'm wondering if she could be 15 year-old Julie Soracco. She was last seen in California sometime in 1977. Not added to Nanus, etc until this summer.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Here is the thread for Julie:

CA - CA - Julie Elizabeth Soracco, 15, Placerville, 1 Aug 1977

Her ears are very hard to see. The right ear seems ok, the left one is hard to see, but might be a little smaller. Doe's right ear is deformed. Could this picture have been shadowed.

Same thought with her ears, that the left, not the right, is the one that appears smaller in the one photo where Julie 's ears are partially visible.

I wonder if the DOE right ear is result of injury? Not to be overly graphic, but if she was possibly tortured (?) and set on fire, who knows what else might have been done to her?

Her ears are very hard to see. The right ear seems ok, the left one is hard to see, but might be a little smaller. Doe's right ear is deformed. Could this picture have been shadowed.

Off topic, but the unidentified in your signature. Julie Soracco also is similar stats to her. The estimated death is 1982, so a few years +, but? I wonder if that outfit would be recognized by her sister? It's very colorful and complete in description.

Off topic, but the unidentified in your signature. Julie Soracco also is similar stats to her. The estimated death is 1982, so a few years +, but? I wonder if that outfit would be recognized by her sister? It's very colorful and complete in description.

OT Thanks for noticing this Jane Doe. I think you are right. She could be "fitting". I'm not sure when Lucie's sister saw her for the last time....seemingly they are not sure when she went missing. And because of (almost) skeleton remains, there isn't a chance to say anything about soft tissues, the ears.

Last edited:
Same thought with her ears, that the left, not the right, is the one that appears smaller in the one photo where Julie 's ears are partially visible.

I wonder if the DOE right ear is result of injury? Not to be overly graphic, but if she was possibly tortured (?) and set on fire, who knows what else might have been done to her?

I think it's very hard to say something about the deformed ear. It could be a birth "thing", ear shapes are genetically determined (loose or detached lobe) Still wondering if this deformation could also be in a blood line? See my post about Sarah Tokier. It could be caused by an injury (collie flower ear, like a lot of boxers have) but I guess that looks a little different, doesn't make your ear smaller persé, and I think they would have mentioned that, if it was. The girl's body was set on fire...to see it good, you would think her face wasn't burned (that much) Imo, her ear was a birth deformation. As we go with the files, she was tortured, I'm not sure how they could see that, besides the burning. She was also poisoned. Both things are torture, we all can understand that.

Last edited:
I was thinking tortured could be bruised or wounds unreleased in the public info for some reason? Also, the weight is very low, even if the 5 ft 1 height is correct. Starvation? (Could also be drug use?) Some people are naturally very petite of course, but to be under 100 pounds when you're 16 or so is fairly unusual. I think the sketch with the short hair, the Doe looks gaunt & haggard.

As morbid as it sounds, I wish there was a photo. It would probably already look distorted 2 days after, but maybe law enforcement has one that wasn't released?

I went ahead and suggested comparing this UID with Julie. I'm not sure when her sister last saw her, as information is so scarce, but if I come across any thing where the sister is posting publicly I will mention your Doe with the unique clothing as well.

One more thing about your Doe, not to get off track. But Julie worked in a clothing store. Which makes that colorful, fashionable outfit a bit more interesting. If this UID doesn't go anywhere.....

San Diego’s Unsolved Cold Cases
Jane-Doe-Cold-Case-SD.jpg

On Feb. 14, 1978, an unidentified woman dubbed “Jane Doe” was found dead along Proctor Valley Road near the San Miguel Ranch area of Chula Vista. There were signs of trauma to her body and her cause of death was ultimately determined to be poisoning. To this day, her murder remains unsolved, according to the San Diego County Sheriff’s Department. The woman was between 15 and 18 years old, stood about 5-foot-1 and weighed about 90 pounds. She had brown, shoulder-length hair worn in a ponytail fastened with a rubber band, brown eyes and pierced ears. Her right ear was deformed and smaller than the left ear. Her front tooth was broken in half. Cold case investigators said she was wearing blue denim bib overalls and a white long sleeve midriff blouse with blue flower pattern. She was not wearing any shoes or socks. Anyone with information on the suspect responsible for Jane Doe’s death should contact the Sheriff’s Homicide Detail at (858) 974-2321.

I think it's very hard to say something about the deformed ear. It could be a birth "thing", ear shapes are genetically determined (loose or detached lobe) Still wondering if this deformation could also be in a blood line? See my post about Sarah Tokier. It could be caused by an injury (collie flower ear, like a lot of boxers have) but I guess that looks a little different, doesn't make your ear smaller persé, and I think they would have mentioned that, if it was. The girl's body was set on fire...to see it good, you would think her face wasn't burned (that much) Imo, her ear was a birth deformation. As we go with the files, she was tortured, I'm not sure how they could see that, besides the burning. She was also poisoned. Both things are torture, we all can understand that.

Her ear looks to me like a Mozart ear, so named because the composer had them. Needless to say it isn't necessarily connected to abuse or intellectual disability.

Ear deformities are often hereditary but in rare cases are caused by a gestational injury called constriction ring syndrome.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back