GUILTY NJ - Carolyn Byington, 26, killed inside her home, Plainsboro, 10 June 2019 *Arrest* #2

There are no sexual assault charges (at least not yet).

So did he go there in order to declare his love & interest in her, and wound up murdering her when she freaked out at his unexpected presence? I can tell you that would absolutely freak me out when I was her age. An uninvited & not very close male co-worker, no matter how previously non-threatening I thought he was, unexpectedly appeared at my home (and it looks like it was whether he knocked on her door, pushed himself him or was already inside) - I would immediately have gone wild & have been terrified!

IF he was already inside her apartment and didn't push himself in as she was entering, Either Way, did he think this would give him a chance with her? I can't imagine him thinking this would be a good way to declare his love.

So then, he went there with the express purpose of murdering his infatuation?

Anyone remember how delusional Susan Powell's father-in-law was about her feelings towards him? He read every rejection and distancing maneuver as proof that she was afraid of the "intensity" of her feelings towards him.

I can see someone like Carolyn being professional, friendly and polite at work, even to people she loathed, and he might have read too much into this. Or perhaps she turned him down saying "I'm focused on work at this point in my life" but then he found out that she had started dating someone and became enraged.

Ugh. That sick freak.

I can understand why he would lie to his boss about a job interview, but if you were being questioned by the police about a murder, I think most people would tell the police I was on a job interview. Saal would not tell or account for his whereabouts when questioned by the police.
If LE, however, asked him with whom was he interviewing, and he did indeed have that interview, why wouldn't he say with whom? That would be at least something LE could verify. He should want to provide the info for cross-checking that interview -- if it happened.
He would have to arrange for a friend, etc., to back him up, however, if the interview story was a lie. That sounds shaky to me. I guess he could refuse to give any info, "to keep the boss from knowing," but still very shaky, IMO.

I need to catch up on past 4 days but just read here that an anonymous person contacted the DA office on a comment made 11 years ago. Hopefully they have traced the call. I really wish that person would come clean with who they are and really help this case out. I would think he has always had severe problems with women, even during his 10-11 year relationship with his wife.
What I am wondering is a few days before his arrest we were discussing here the latest police release of info. LE said they were going back to the beginning and the timeline 'just doesn't make sense'. Sounds like prosecutor's are very sure of this sicko's timeline -- the time he left for lunch-- the fact he was driving in Carolyn's town-- and arriving very late back to work for a meeting. Does anyone have an opinion on why the police would have said that about a week ago? Thanks

Thank you, borndem! I was lurking on the Watts thread last year. Then this case caught my attention.
Great! We're glad to have you join in this thread with us. And Watts -- what a tragedy. I do think Watts finally has some regrets, and possibly has realized that he was an idiot to do what he did.
And this Saal -- if he did do it (yes, he did), what was his pretext for being at or in her home that day? Did he walk in planning the murder, or did she say or do something that set him off? Can you imagine? That poor sweet young woman -- what horror.

I agree, two hours is enough time, but this is not a slam dunk case. Obviously working on his car without receipts and for sound issues delaying him an hour for for a meeting with superior is not a great or even a good alibi. IDK why it was released that he could not account for his time, because obviously he did account for his time, poorly. Would have been more honest to say he did not have an alibi that could be verified. Not sure where he ate or if he ate, possibly if he was at the remote golf course then he might have gone to Wendy's, no reciept? The DNa evidence is weaker than anyone would like since nothing else puts him in the apartment at this time.
Everything that came out against him has been somewhat overblown, I would say hiring a lawyer after a police interrogation in the police station may have been warranted and he was likely a lead suspect already.
The media said it was a DNa match and now it can't be excluded. Wasting time at the detention hearing with anonymous caller and the text to wife were weak. They had phone and internet searches. Seems as if co workers pegged him for this and it was the lead that made most sense, easiest to bring to trial. Why did they say timelines don't add up in an earlier news article on August 10?
Infatuation makes most sense but usually there are violent acts before something so gruesome.
It doesn't look good for him, but they can't put anything better that places him at the crime scene? Shoe print, fingerprint, hair? Anything? Not excluding DNa near her fingernails is not finding his DNa under her nails.

From your link Seattle:

“Another coworker alleged that Saal spoke about being upset after seeing a license plate number while driving that almost matched Byington’s plate, Dolinger said.”

Now this is just weird. I get that he had Carolyn’s license plate number which doesn’t really come as a surprise, but why would he tell a coworker that? Just like asking a coworker if he could be convicted of a crime by circumstantial evidence only (paraphrasing) What is wrong with this guy?
If he is a liar, most liars are so busy in their own heads thinking they are getting something over on somebody, everyone is inferior, I assume he thought this coworker doesn't have a sharp brain like him.....others are around him just to bask in his glory, everybody can be controlled with his superior lying that is always justified, of course!

If LE, however, asked him with whom was he interviewing, and he did indeed have that interview, why wouldn't he say with whom? That would be at least something LE could verify. He should want to provide the info for cross-checking that interview -- if it happened.
He would have to arrange for a friend, etc., to back him up, however, if the interview story was a lie. That sounds shaky to me. I guess he could refuse to give any info, "to keep the boss from knowing," but still very shaky, IMO.

This bothers me. He didn't refuse to give any info. His interview was shifty and he did self sooth, stroking his thumb when Carolyn's name came up but I did appear all his scratches were gone. With such a serious crime don't you think there would still be wounds, healing or swelling?
Who leaked he hired a lawyer? Is that illegal or grounds to make you a lead suspect? Constitionally it is not.

I know some of the news stations have stated he was waiting for her inside her apartment, but I don’t see how that is possible unless he somehow had her key. There was no forced entry and it was in the middle of the day. I find it easier to believe he showed up at her apartment and she opened the door for him not knowing his intentions.
Yes, I think this is the simplest and most plausible scenario. As far as we know, she had no known reason to feel afraid or threatened by him - he was just some other person at work. The easiest and quietest way to get into her apartment was to let her invite him in once she'd unlocked the door.

I need to catch up on past 4 days but just read here that an anonymous person contacted the DA office on a comment made 11 years ago. Hopefully they have traced the call. I really wish that person would come clean with who they are and really help this case out. I would think he has always had severe problems with women, even during his 10-11 year relationship with his wife.
What I am wondering is a few days before his arrest we were discussing here the latest police release of info. LE said they were going back to the beginning and the timeline 'just doesn't make sense'. Sounds like prosecutor's are very sure of this sicko's timeline -- the time he left for lunch-- the fact he was driving in Carolyn's town-- and arriving very late back to work for a meeting. Does anyone have an opinion on why the police would have said that about a week ago? Thanks

Maybe because of the short amount of time he was away from the office, 2 hours. Plus, even though his office is only 6 miles away from Carolyn’s apartment, time in traffic has to be accounted for. I would say at least 15 minutes each way, plus time to change his shirt and clean himself off. Was her approximate time of death ever revealed?

I agree, two hours is enough time, but this is not a slam dunk case. Obviously working on his car without receipts and for sound issues delaying him an hour for for a meeting with superior is not a great or even a good alibi. IDK why it was released that he could not account for his time, because obviously he did account for his time, poorly. Would have been more honest to say he did not have an alibi that could be verified. Not sure where he ate or if he ate, possibly if he was at the remote golf course then he might have gone to Wendy's, no reciept? The DNa evidence is weaker than anyone would like since nothing else puts him in the apartment at this time.
Everything that came out against him has been somewhat overblown, I would say hiring a lawyer after a police interrogation in the police station may have been warranted and he was likely a lead suspect already.
The media said it was a DNa match and now it can't be excluded. Wasting time at the detention hearing with anonymous caller and the text to wife were weak. They had phone and internet searches. Seems as if co workers pegged him for this and it was the lead that made most sense, easiest to bring to trial. Why did they say timelines don't add up in an earlier news article on August 10?
Infatuation makes most sense but usually there are violent acts before something so gruesome.
It doesn't look good for him, but they can't put anything better that places him at the crime scene? Shoe print, fingerprint, hair? Anything? Not excluding DNa near her fingernails is not finding his DNa under her nails.
One article stated that they are waiting for further DNA results.

This bothers me. He didn't refuse to give any info. His interview was shifty and he did self sooth, stroking his thumb when Carolyn's name came up but I did appear all his scratches were gone. With such a serious crime don't you think there would still be wounds, healing or swelling?
Who leaked he hired a lawyer? Is that illegal or grounds to make you a lead suspect? Constitionally it is not.

RBBM ^^

I would think with the victim suffering stab wounds that there would be a chance of the knife slipping during the attack and he would have cuts, slices, on the underside of his hand or wrist, not scratches on his knuckles which is what was reported during yesterday's hearing.

I do think if he's in his vehicle traveling around Plainsboro at 2:04 pm and back in the office at 2:54 pm, even allotting 15 mins for travel/traffic time and a couple of mins at most to change his undershirt - that still leaves time unaccounted for imo

RBBM ^^

I would think with the victim suffering stab wounds that there would be a chance of the knife slipping during the attack and he would have cuts, slices, on the underside of his hand or wrist, not scratches on his knuckles which is what was reported during yesterday's hearing.
She obviously fought back and had DNA under her fingernails. I'd say that's where the scratch marks on him originated.

Maybe because of the short amount of time he was away from the office, 2 hours. Plus, even though his office is only 6 miles away from Carolyn’s apartment, time in traffic has to be accounted for. I would say at least 15 minutes each way, plus time to change his shirt and clean himself off. Was her approximate time of death ever revealed?
One thing I remember reading early on was that she went home around 1pm for lunch (seen by neighbors). It was stated by LE in the beginning, iir.

New Details As Co-Worker Charged In NJ Woman's Lunch-Break Murder

Court documents also said Saal and Byington had taken their lunch break at the same time on the afternoon of June 10. Saal, a staff accountant at US Engine in Princeton, told detectives he had only seen Byington, who was a project manager, once that day.

Police also claimed that Saal was actually on an extended lunch break, although he later was unable or unwilling to tell investigators how he spent his lunch break that day, authorities said in the complaint.

A text message he sent to his supervisor stating that he would be late returning to work because he was getting work done on his car later turned out to be a lie, authorities said.

Additionally, a car that matched the vehicle belonging to Saal was seen in the Plainsboro area at 2:04 p.m. that day, according to the complaint. Neighbors previously told News 12 they heard screams coming from Byington's home at about 1 p.m.

One thing I remember reading early on was that she went home around 1pm for lunch (seen by neighbors). It was stated by LE in the beginning, iir.

And LE knows at least the approximate time the faint screams & furniture moving was heard, so looks like approx time of attack was somewhere between 1 - 2 pm.

And LE knows at least the approximate time the faint screams & furniture moving was heard, so looks like approx time of attack was somewhere between 1 - 2 pm.
From my link above:

Additionally, a car that matched the vehicle belonging to Saal was seen in the Plainsboro area at 2:04 p.m. that day, according to the complaint. Neighbors previously told News 12 they heard screams coming from Byington's home at about 1 p.m.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trinaluvschicken
Back