WV WV - Chandice Cochran, 28, Nicholas County, 20 Aug 2019 *Kristopher Speas, 37, POI Arrested**

JerseyGirl

Forum Coordinator
Staff member
Forum Coordinators
Reaction score
Chandice Cochran, 28, of Sutton, has been missing since August 20 and her mother feared for her daughter because ‘she was involved in drugs and dangerous people’.

Cochran had left a note for her mother stating she was “in good hands and would be back shortly,” but hasn’t been seen since. Her last known location was the Birch River area of Nicholas County.

Troopers discovered in interviews and conversations with multiple individuals Cochran’s last contact was with Kristopher Speas, 37, of Linn, who is wanted on warrants of failure to register as a sex offender from both Gilmer and Lewis counties. Speas is considered a person of interest in Cochran’s disappearance and is believed to be a danger to others. Speas was last known to be driving a dark blue Chrysler 300 with a West Virginia license plate.

Investigation into missing Braxton County woman ongoing, person of interest named

IMG_0558-1.png
IMG_0583.png

Woman involved with drugs and dangerous people, who's last known contact is with a sex offender? Hell, what could go wrong? That poor mom. Hoping for the best possible outcome, whatever that may be.

SEP 11, 2019
State Police: Man who last had contact with woman taken into custody; woman still missing
West Virginia State Police said they have taken a man who was last in contact with a missing woman into custody, but the woman remains missing.

[...]

Troopers said Cochran's mother said she feared for her daughter's safety because she was involved with drugs and dangerous people.

State Police said Cochran had contact last with Speas of Linn. Speas had warrants for his arrest for failing to register as a sex offender.

[...]

W.Va. State Police continue to search Nicholas County for missing woman

Troopers, deputies and Natural Resources Police focused their efforts Monday in the rugged area around a gravel parking lot near U.S. 19 in Birch River.
Speas is still considered the primary POI. MOO

Police have arrested Kristopher Speas, who they labeled as a person of interest in the case on unrelated charges for failing to register as a sex offender. They say they do not believe what he is telling them about Cochran's disappearance.

"Right now, it's still a missing person's investigation, but we have nailed down that he has not been truthful,” Senior Trooper J.O. Hensley said. “We've proved that he has not been truthful with us. So, he's still the primary person of interest in this missing person’s case."

Woman involved with drugs and dangerous people, who's last known contact is with a sex offender? Hell, what could go wrong? That poor mom. Hoping for the best possible outcome, whatever that may be.

Especially considering her brother passed away some years ago...chandice was almost my sister in law at one point and something isnt right wjth this. The note tells you that right away. Someone who wanted to stall suspicions was responsible for that not her. Also if she just overdosed and was dumped why not come clean by now. She was tough too, and smart so i think it was more than tbat

Oh no, the Birch River was where they were looking for Chandice. :(

W.Va. State Police continue to search Nicholas County for missing woman

The remains they found are about 140 miles away from Birch River: Google Maps

I'm not sure how likely this is to be Chandice based on that distance from where they were searching but it does sound like they found the unidentified remains due to a tip or confession.

"First Sgt. J.K. Cooper said police received information that led them to the buried remains, which have been sent to the State Medical Examiner's Office for identification."

State Police: Human remains found in McDowell County

Missing Person Details

IMG_3544_1.png

Chandace Cochran
DOB: Hair:Brown
Missing:08/20/2019 Eyes:Blue
Sex:Female Height:5'3''
Weight:110
Missing From: Sutton, WV
Age Now: 28
Chandice was living with her mother at the time of her disapperance. Her mother went to work on August 20, 2019 and upon her return, Chandace was nowhere to be found. All of her belongings were left at home. Chandice has a tattoo on her right leg readig see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil. She has a tendancy to die her hair so her hair color may have changed.

Anyone having information should contact:
WVSP Sutton Detachment, 304-765-2101

Missing Person Details

IMG_3544_1.png

Chandace Cochran
DOB: Hair:Brown
Missing:08/20/2019 Eyes:Blue
Sex:Female Height:5'3''
Weight:110
Missing From: Sutton, WV
Age Now: 28
Chandice was living with her mother at the time of her disapperance. Her mother went to work on August 20, 2019 and upon her return, Chandace was nowhere to be found. All of her belongings were left at home. Chandice has a tattoo on her right leg readig see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil. She has a tendancy to die her hair so her hair color may have changed.

Anyone having information should contact:
WVSP Sutton Detachment, 304-765-2101
The WVSP spelled her first name incorrectly? o_O

SEP 3, 2022
[...]

Chandice had a picture-perfect childhood growing up in Braxton County. The athletic and popular teen had a big group of friends and an unbreakable bond with her older brother, Bert.

[...]

Addiction doesn't care about a fairytale. Bert was found dead on Father's Day in 2010. He was 21.

"He always acted as her father. He took care of her; he protected her. When we lost him, she said, 'I just can't imagine life without him, mom. I can't do this. I just can’t do it.’ ”

Bert's death was the beginning of a troubled path for Chandice. She was prescribed pain pills following an emergency surgery shortly after he died, which eventually led to a heroin addiction that stole her away from the mother who never stopped trying to get her back.

[...]

Two weeks before Chandice disappeared, Becky saw the change for which she had been praying. Chandice was fighting hard to stay clean and turn her life around after nearly 10 painful years of addiction.

[...]

On Aug. 20, 2019, Becky came home and found a note. It still sits on her kitchen counter.

“It says, 'Mom, I took off for a little while. I'm in good hands, I promise," she said. "Be back shortly, please don't worry, no need to. Call if you need me. Love you, Chan."

[...]

A man named Kristopher Speas, who was from Gilmer County, picked Chandice up that afternoon from her mother's home in Sutton. They went to the Birch River area of Nicholas County. Troopers said they believe they were selling drugs.

[...]

Troopers said Chandice knew people in the Birch River area, but Speas didn't have a lot of connections there. He did, however, have outstanding warrants for failing to register as a sex offender. The two ended up at the home of a man named Sam Kelly.

[...]

“That was around midnight. They were there for a while. They decided it was time to leave," Senior Trooper Caleb Harper said. "The gentlemen (Kelly) went to GoMart to go get some cigarettes with his girlfriend. When they come back, they actually see Mr. Speas and Chandice leaving the residence on foot, headed towards the fire department and that was the last that they saw them. From Mr. Speas' memory, that he can, kind of, put her in a general area."

[...]

Around 7 a.m. the following day, Speas was picked up walking along Widen-Dille Road, a few miles from Birch River. It was Kelly who picked him up. Kelly told investigators he had happened to spot Speas as he was on his way to work and offered to give him a ride. Speas was alone. There was no sign of Chandice.

"According to Mr. Speas and what evidence I've been able to gather from her cell phone records, it does appear that her cell phone died sometime around midnight or sometime after and was never powered back on," Harper said.

[...]

1ffc0bd8-f777-4b55-85ed-8663bceb5480-medium16x9_SPEASLETTTER.png

Kristopher Speas wrote in a letter from the Huttonsville Correctional Center that he doesn't know what happened to Chandice Cochran. Cochran, 28, has been missing since Aug. 2019 and was last seen in the Birch River area of Nicholas County with Speas, who is incarcerated on unrelated charges.

[...]

"He went through everything, just the same thing that he had told the state," she recalled from the interview. "When he got up to leave the room, I hollered at him, I said, ‘Speas, just tell me, is Chandice with us or not?’ and he said, ‘not.’ That's all he said and just walked away real quick."

[...]

"He can walk you up until 1, 2 o'clock and he can remember being picked up the next morning. The time in between is something he tells us that he can't recall," Harper said.

Chandice's phone has never been found. A local resident found her change purse with her identification in the woods near Birch River not long after she disappeared.

[...]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back