GUILTY GUILTY OF ABUSE OF A CORPSE ONLY OH - Annabelle Richardson, newborn, found in grave 7 May 2017 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some can and some cannot. People with eating disorders die at all sorts of weights. Long-term starvation puts a strain on the heart (and all other body systems), but sometimes short-term starvation or binging and purging in particular can disrupt electrolytes and the electrical activity of the heart enough to be dangerous or fatal as well.

ETA: When Karen Carpenter died, she weighed 108 pounds (at 5'4"). This is underweight but not emaciated and not her lowest weight by a long shot.

Autopsy: http://www.autopsyfiles.org/reports/Celebs/carpenter, karen_report.pdf

Yes but like I said she was 32. She had been anorexic for almost two decades. Lots of strain on her heart. Over a decade of chronic laxative abuse. She destroyed her heart so badly that she really had no chance of recovery. That can definitely happen to this gal. Especially with a mother who is actively encouraging her illness. Almost compelling it.

Anectdotally I know too much about eating disorders and have known several people with the condition. I guess I can reveal I was misdiagnosed as a teen and locked up at age 14 in a unit with girls and women. All had eating disorders except me and one other teen who was also misdiagnosed because she had diabetes.

I feel it was partially due to an insurance scam that I was misdiagnosed and the hospital was later sued in a class action due to booting people who were truly ill when the money dried up and also falsely diagnosing many teens who had no real issues but were diagnosed with a myriad of conditions on other units.

I mean they saw immediately that I ate with no problems so they changed my diagnosis from anorexia to bulimia even though I never attempted to throw up. I was there for almost six months until the insurance dried up and then I was magically "cured". Saw a lot of women and girls in various stages go though there.

The only one who died was one who accidentally punctured her esophagus or throat and bled out that I described earlier.

Many were vastly more emaciated than this gal. Several had been sick for decades. Several in their 30's and one even in her 50's. But most were in their 20's to be fair.

It was a bizarre experience. Gave me a life-long fear of being trapped. Super kafkaesque.

Her weight is concerning. She looks emaciated and frail. But I saw so many who were so much worse looking and had been for a long time. So I have an opinion based on that.

But I'm aware it's anectodal. I'm no expert.

Professor Alan Hirsch, defense witness, testified to the same points written below. (From an article on the Reid technique):

“Years ago, my colleague (Larry Wrightsman) and I identified two types of false confessions that come from police interrogation. One we called coerced-compliant false confessions. These are cases, like the Central Park jogger case, where innocent people, who know they are innocent become so stressed, so broken down, and so confused as to what their best means of escape is that they confess fully knowing they’re innocent. In these cases they typically recant the confession almost immediately as soon as the pressure of the situation is lifted.

The other type of confession is what we called coerced-internalized false confessions, and these are the cases where individuals actually come to believe in their own guilt as a function of the lies and their own suggestibility.”

thepsychreport.com/conversations/coerced-to-confess-the-psychology-of-false-confessions/

I believe key words here are "Years ago."

Expert witnesses today including those called for BSR accept appropriate terms: persuade, convince, implant memory, and even 'put words in her mouth' -- but not coerce.

No threat or torture here.

MOO

I cannot recall hearing a specific name for the “mental disorder” he referred to (Dr. Bassman), however the descriptions do sound like dependent personality disorder. Cannot find anything more specific in any articles posted so far.

He definitely indicated the personality disorder was Dependent Personality Disorder. I was waiting for it, and heard it. But it was much later in his testimony than I expected.

Just my thoughts...but I wonder if KR had not been called as a potential states witness if she would’ve shown up at the courthouse at all?

The reason I say this is based on some recent things that I’ve read and I’m sorry that I don’t have a link so it’s only just my opinion. But I get the feeling that BSR and KR are not nearly as close as they once were. I’ve believe that KR is rarely seen around the family home much anymore while BSR is seen and goes out for dinner often with her dad.

I’d imagine it would be extremely hard to go anywhere in a small town like Carlisle, feeling that people were always staring and whispering about you. Maybe she’s just become reclusive which in the same situation I would probably be the same way.

JMHO

Last edited:
Weren't they specifically named somewhere in the highlighted twitter messages @osu posted? Unless you were looking for a source of the dx before today's testimony...

All I can recall Dr. Bassman saying in trial video was a “mental disorder” and description of why he believed that. But I do not think he specifically used the words “personality disorder”. I know it was tweeted as such, but that is not what I recall as his exact wording. Not that it matters a lot, but for my own curiosity ... I will have to wait for the video of today’s testimony to re-listen, I think.

But thank you!

Reactions: byo
I was stumped for a minute when JR described Skyler getting doughnuts and eating it before theie parents got hom so they wouldn't know...
That's insane to me. Why does it matter? Because she tossed it up? Or because they were monitoring her intake? Were they making her that way? I have no grasp on eating disorders either.
I'm assuming this has to do with binging and purging? But even if she decided she wanted to eat when she wanted to eat, was she being monitored too much? To the point she'd binge if she could get her hands on anything that tasted better than broccoli? Not sure if I am getting my point across. Example: I have a friend that monitored her kid's food intake so when they weren't in her presence theyd run right to the pantry for a snack and get carried away with sheer joy and delight having a snack cake or just a fruit rollup. Their little excitement had me falling over laughing. I'd have to put the snacks away. She knew they did this if available and I knew not to let it get out of control to appease her. Seemed like that could get a little carried away..today they dont do this as bad, she has them trained. So now I wonder is Skyler's eating disorder the cause of her parent's food monitoring or the effect of the parents monitoring?

Yes, there is a wealth of evidence and lots of robust studies that show that restricting food choices in children increases the incidence of disordered eating in teens and adults. It’s often well intentioned, but children need to learn how to cope in a real world where there’s cake in the break room and pizza only an app away.

I cannot recall hearing a specific name for the “mental disorder” he referred to (Dr. Bassman), however the descriptions do sound like dependent personality disorder. Cannot find anything more specific in any articles posted so far.

I think Skylar was vulnerable to the psychological pressure applied by the detective's "aggressive" use of the Reid interrogation techniques. And that she made a false confession. And that she has been damaged by a twisted mother, and that her immediate family is entirely dsyfunctional.

But I also believe the defense offering up a vague diagnosis of "dependent personality order" borders on the absurd. And that it was a mistake.

Weren't they specifically named somewhere in the highlighted twitter messages @osu posted? Unless you were looking for a source of the dx before today's testimony...

Here’s those highlighted docs from when the doctor was testifying. I think just these two screenshots were the only ones that were tweeted.

Attachments

• AB2E3F18-9B49-4B08-8F7C-3F95738CB036.jpeg
    AB2E3F18-9B49-4B08-8F7C-3F95738CB036.jpeg
    197.7 KB · Views: 28
  • EE3CDF82-F2A5-456D-8D52-4034936AA7B6.jpeg
    EE3CDF82-F2A5-456D-8D52-4034936AA7B6.jpeg
    176.8 KB · Views: 24
Your post referenced info in the DSM - those with DPD have the inability to make decisions so... I see it as "no decision" is/was her norm, not "a choice". Again, jmo.

It’s really easy to see her as a victim. But pathologically
She made the decision NOT tell anyone she was pregnant
She made the decision NOT to get help with her situation
She made the decision to bury the baby and NOT tell anyone about it
She made the decision NOT to get help after either and you can’t blame that on crazy hormones.

Her inaction IS a decision
Let’s say the baby was born and couldn’t breathe and all she has to do was suck the airway clean....
that inaction is a decision to let it die. Is it murder?? Is me letting someone drown murder when I have the capacity to help??

Last edited:
I believe key words here are "Years ago."

Expert witnesses today including those called for BSR accept appropriate terms: persuade, convince, implant memory, and even 'put words in her mouth' -- but not coerce.

No threat or torture here.

MOO

Actually, the good professor for the defense did use the term COERCE. Did you watch his testimony? No need to agree that her confession was false, but factually, yes, COERCE is a term still being applied to false confessions, and one testified to by the good professor.

I’m not sure if this was posted? It’s the report from Dr Mark LeVaughn to Mr Rittgers with his findings.

Attachments

• D17B91D6-4430-4F2E-B9F4-722BBE5D77AD.jpeg
    D17B91D6-4430-4F2E-B9F4-722BBE5D77AD.jpeg
    141.2 KB · Views: 21
Here’s those highlighted docs from when the doctor was testifying. I think just these two screenshots were the only ones that were tweeted.

Thanks H4M! Was the document something Dr Bassman had previously written?

ok if her brother could hear her from his bedroom when she would throw up in the bathroom how come he couldn't hear her having a baby???

Brother testified he could hear her getting sick but never asked questions -- wanted her to be happy.

Turns up TV, blocks it out -- he's accustomed to hearing her grunt, purge. And BSR probably knows how to mask to noise. Likely turns on bathroom fan, runs water, etc..

If he heard BSR in the bathroom (giving birth), he probably did the same.

So he could hear her getting sick but not having a baby?

Yes to all those things. It is possible to be pretty darn quiet when you're giving birth. I've shared my own experience with a pretty silent unmedicated birth experience. In my case I had been pushing for hours (4.5 total), was exhausted, and was actually falling asleep between contractions/pushes. Interestingly, all that went away immediately after my daughter was born. I was wide awake and felt like I could run a marathon. Endorphins are incredible things.

The brother was also used to not hearing what was happening in that bedroom and bathroom.

^^bbm

Posted about this last night. Dad asked detective at first interview if BSR committed a chargeable offense, and he replied yes.

Dad asked if BSR was going home that night, and detective said it was 90% -- they were waiting on judge to sign something (warrant?), had to finish up at their house --and prosecutor would decide. When they eventually went home, they knew BSR under investigation.

They had a week to digest what happened before BSR's second interview, and can't believe they did not have a consult with an attorney to discuss what had just happened -- police found remains of a dead baby buried in their backyard!

BSR knew she was under investigation, committed a chargeable offense, and went to second interview without representation anyway. That's not LE's fault.

I think what dad really wanted to say was that he regretted listening to his wife about not hiring a lawyer! Denial, denial, denial. MOO

Exactly! I have NO idea why they wouldn't have gotten a lawyer for the second interrogation. Heck, my husband's Dad died unexpectedly and he was married to a woman who wasn't DH's mom. He died with out a will and she had us served with papers/quit claim deed for DH's Dad house. We had no idea what the paperwork was and sought out a lawyer to explain it to us. They're the law experts - guilty or innocent, why WOULDN'T you seek out an expert to help you?

Yes but like I said she was 32. She had been anorexic for almost two decades. Lots of strain on her heart. Over a decade of chronic laxative abuse. She destroyed her heart so badly that she really had no chance of recovery. That can definitely happen to this gal. Especially with a mother who is actively encouraging her illness. Almost compelling it.

Anectdotally I know too much about eating disorders and have known several people with the condition. I guess I can reveal I was misdiagnosed as a teen and locked up at age 14 in a unit with girls and women. All had eating disorders except me and one other teen who was also misdiagnosed because she had diabetes.

I feel it was partially due to an insurance scam that I was misdiagnosed and the hospital was later sued in a class action due to booting people who were truly ill when the money dried up and also falsely diagnosing many teens who had no real issues but were diagnosed with a myriad of conditions on other units.

I mean they saw immediately that I ate with no problems so they changed my diagnosis from anorexia to bulimia even though I never attempted to throw up. I was there for almost six months until the insurance dried up and then I was magically "cured". Saw a lot of women and girls in various stages go though there.

The only one who died was one who accidentally punctured her esophagus or throat and bled out that I described earlier.

Many were vastly more emaciated than this gal. Several had been sick for decades. Several in their 30's and one even in her 50's. But most were in their 20's to be fair.

It was a bizarre experience. Gave me a life-long fear of being trapped. Super kafkaesque.

Her weight is concerning. She looks emaciated and frail. But I saw so many who were so much worse looking and had been for a long time. So I have an opinion based on that.

But I'm aware it's anectodal. I'm no expert.

I agree with you 100%. I did just want to point out one thing about your fellow misdiagnosed teen. There is an emerging ED called "diabulimia" where insulin dependent diabetics use insulin to control their weight. It's entirely possible that teen was misdiagnosed, but just wanted to put this out there, too.

All I can recall Dr. Bassman saying in trial video was a “mental disorder” and description of why he believed that. But I do not think he specifically used the words “personality disorder”. I know it was tweeted as such, but that is not what I recall as his exact wording. Not that it matters a lot, but for my own curiosity ... I will have to wait for the video of today’s testimony to re-listen, I think.

But thank you!

The first I actually heard it was on cross examination. It may have been said earlier, but that was the first time I caught it.

But I also believe the defense offering up a vague diagnosis of "dependent personality order" borders on the absurd. And that it was a mistake.

It’s not a vague or absurd diagnosis. It’s a recognised and well documented condition, and presumably he has sufficient documentation to show she was diagnosed with it prior to all the events of the trial.

I’m disappointed by the amount of dismissive and judgemental comments throughout this thread in relation to mental health (not specifically talking about the poster above here). People armchair-diagnosing conditions and disregarding the official diagnoses of qualified professionals. Conflating a severe eating disorder with “vanity”/ “caring too much about her looks”.

Whether you believe she is guilty or not, mental illness is every bit as real and inescapable as diabetes or a broken leg and it’s incredibly ignorant to speak so dismissively about these conditions. It’s highly likely there will be others reading here with similar struggles and diagnoses, and it’s this dismissive, disbelieving attitude that stops so many people from reaching out and getting the help they need.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk ;)

ok if her brother could hear her from his bedroom when she would throw up in the bathroom how come he couldn't hear her having a baby???

Don't know what he heard that night or maybe he's a heavy sleeper like her folks. I imagine BSR very experienced at masking her purging grunts -- ex. running water, turning on fan. If brother heard, he turned up the TV.

Angenette Levy‏Verified account @Angenette5
Jackson said he heard #SkylarRichardson get sick constantly because of eating disorder. He didn't want to talk to her about it because he wanted her to be happy. He would turn up the tv @Local12

8:44 AM - 11 Sep 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member