GUILTY TX - Former Dallas Police Officer Amber Guyger, indicted for Murder of Botham Shem Jean #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really wonder why Rogers did not poll the jury?? Moot point, but they usually do.

Are you in Dallas? I'd be curious about whether this was a deviation from standard practice in Dallas. It's unusual for the judge to poll the jury (except where there have been delayed deliberations and several split v0tes) where I live (big SoCal county).

Botham Shem Jean came from a prominent family in Saint Lucia. According to St. Lucia Times,Jean was the son of Allison Jean, described as “former Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Education, Innovation, Gender Relations and sustainable Development” and Bertram Jean, who was a store supervisor for Water and Sewerage Company Inc., known as WASCO. His uncle, Ignatius Jean, is “Chief Executive Officer of the Caribbean Water and Sewerage Association Inc. (CAWASA) and former government Minister and Parliamentarian,” St. Lucia Times reported.

Jean’s mother, who is also known as Allie Jean, told NBC News from Saint Lucia: “He did no one any wrong.” The shooting occurred at an upscale apartment complex called South Side Flats not far from downtown Dallas, NBC reported.

“Somebody has to be crazy not to realize that they walked into the wrong apartment,” Allie Jean said. “He’s a bachelor. Things are different inside.”
Amber Guyger Guilty Verdict: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com

I'll Just Say If I Walked Into What I Thought Was My Home I May Be Opt To Draw A Gun, But I Would NOT Shoot. I Would Be Like Wtf Are You Doing In My House And Wait For A Response. I Mean He Was Sitting Down Eating. That Doesn't Sound Threatening To Me. This Could've Been Handled So Much Differently On So Many Levels..

So true. Even ordinary citizen gun owners know one of the main gun safety rules which says:

"4. Be Sure of Your Target and What’s Beyond It"

which basically means to be sure to identify your target before firing, and to always be aware of anything beyond your target as well.

Firearms Safety -- 10 Rules of Safe Gun Handling • NSSF

I was in New York with my daughter at 12:13 a.m. on September 7th when she came to inform me that she had gotten a call and that somebody told her that Botham was shot, that he died,” she said.

“My life has not been the same,” she said. “It’s just been like a roller coaster.”

Wearing red — her son’s favorite color — Allison Jean testified hours after a Dallas jury found Guyger guilty of murder. .

Jean talked about how Botham — the middle child — was “the glue” that brought her three children together. She smiled as she was shown photo of her son.

Allison Jean was mostly composed and spoke proudly of her son and how, at age 11, he ranked 23 out of about 4,000 students on the island of St. Lucia who took a selective high school entrance exam.

“We have a simple life, one of faith and that’s how we raised our children,” she said, adding that she has been married 30 years.

Allison Jean said she would have preferred that Botham remained at home for his studies, but he wanted to attend Harding University, a private Christian school in Arkansas where became president of the student council, sang in a choir and led community service missions with other students to the island. She described him as loving and giving and passionate about helping others.
Botham Jean’s mother testifies first at sentencing after Amber Guyger is found guilty of murder

Are you in Dallas? I'd be curious about whether this was a deviation from standard practice in Dallas. It's unusual for the judge to poll the jury (except where there have been delayed deliberations and several split v0tes) where I live (big SoCal county).

I think there were outbursts in the courtroom and the judge wanted to get the jury out quick.

So true. Even ordinary citizen gun owners know one of the main gun safety rules which says:

which basically means to be sure to identify your target before firing, and to always be aware of anything beyond your target as well.

Yes. I grew up in a time/region where these rules were just part of the atmosphere, even though many people didn't have weapons. I even remember that being part of our education as kids (what to do if we found a weapon, never point the gun unless you intend to shoot). It was even on Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman :) Somehow, we've shifted to full on Yosemite Sam mode.

Exactly. Every gun owner knows that. And I know that when carrying a firearm I have a duty not to be distracted as well.

It's our right to bear arms and with that right comes a serious, heavy responsibility.

Like I said earlier it's almost like some consider carrying a gun less serious than driving a car. Both are dangerous.

That doesn't make sense to me.

An interesting thought I just had about the jury composition: Can one say that the composition was somewhat unfavorable for AG during the guilt phase of the trial, but somewhat favorable for her now that were in the punishment phase?

The trial takes place in Dallas and this jury has a lot of minorities and women, so I'd assume this particular jury would skew more liberal than the average Texan jury. Liberals tend to be in favor of criminal justice and sentencing reform and generally oppose very long prison sentences. That may result in a shorter sentence for AG than a jury in Tarrant county for example would impose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa