GUILTY TX - Former Dallas Police Officer Amber Guyger, indicted for Murder of Botham Shem Jean #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to just ditto you :) I'm atheist but was still touched. When I think of how Christians would act in this situation - this would be it, right? This is what their religious text teaches, no?
I can not agree more! I am atheist through and through, but I interact with very religious people daily. When they pray for me, or they offer me spiritual insight, I chose to see it in context, this is them sharing the most profound thing they hold dear, and I see it as the gift they intend, instead of needing to correct them, and dispute their belief.

The most amazing point here is, religion or not, the family has extended the gift of forgiveness, not without punishment, but in accepting that she can and should be forgiven. Hopefully it impacts her deeply and she uses that gift to make a change deep within her, and then society becomes better for it.

Judge gave amber a bible. The hugs i can’t stop tears over because I felt they were genuine. I hope when one day she out she does better and IS a better person.
Bitterness, revenge, and rage will only go so far.

Faith, healing, and forgiveness will take everyone in this tragedy further.

Oh my.....what an amazing woman is this judge? And, BJ family? Saints on earth.
For those who are uncomfortable with the judge giving AG a bible? I’ll pray for you. She didn’t do this in her official capacity.....it was done in her human capacity.

I think the tricky part is that a judge should never really be speaking off the record to a defendant. I agree that the events of family and the judge after the court was recessed was incredible and mirrored the kind of person that Mr. Jean was said to be. (I go back to a time when people tried to smear this man about marijuana and making him look bad and I am sickened given who we now have gotten to know through family/friends stories.)

You don't need to pray for me but thank you for the offer. I do believe in the separation but can certainly respect your beliefs and the beliefs of the family and the judge.

I'd like to just ditto you :) I'm atheist but was still touched. When I think of how Christians would act in this situation - this would be it, right? This is what their religious text teaches, no?

Although I am baptised, I was not brought up religious. I waver with faith. I'm still learning, but I have recently started taking my sons to church and this is why. They can decide their faith for themselves but I would like them to learn the lessons of love and forgiveness.

You know what else....10 more years would not have rehabilitated AG but the brothers forgiveness and compassion and the Judge’s kindness very well could!

Let's hope. I would like to feel safe in my community. I would hope that she was willing to hear. She has plenty of time now to think about her actions and future in a more clear manner. I don't think it's possible clearly think about these things when going through the whole trial proceeding. There is so much up in the air, pressure, moving parts, etc. Now that this is done, I hope she chooses to be something better.

More than anything, I hope she tells the truth to his family some day. We all know much of that wasn't the truth. I thin they deserve to know. And I think if she is truly changed, she will want to tell them.

I'm not christian but i absolutely was moved and loved how this played out today. His brother was amazing and strong and powerful in his statement, and in asking to give her a hug, and the mutual back and forth during the hug was so powerful. You could see it was REAL. This wasn't for anything other than mutual sorrow. And i think the family ASKED the judge to take her a bible... and i'm good with that too. Like i said, i'm not Christian, but i'm good with bringing it back to schools and letting everyone do whats in their own hearts... to the best of their ability.
You’ve summed it up perfectly. Mutual Sorrow.

And a powerful reminder that this is not about any of us. It’s about that family and how they choose to live with their loss.

The Judge told Amber “you haven’t done anything you cannot be forgiven for. You did a bad thing at a moment in time, what you do now really matters” and gave Amber her copy of the Bible to take with her.
Was the jury still present when the Judge did this? Was court still in session?

Judge on WFAA just said she will have to serve 5 years before she is eligible for parole, but typically they don't get it the first time. They usually have to serve 3/4 to 80% of their time. So that means she'll be in prison likely 7-1/2 to 8 years.

I think the tricky part is that a judge should never really be speaking off the record to a defendant. I agree that the events of family and the judge after the court was recessed was incredible and mirrored the kind of person that Mr. Jean was said to be. (I go back to a time when people tried to smear this man about marijuana and making him look bad and I am sickened given who we now have gotten to know through family/friends stories.)

You don't need to pray for me but thank you for the offer. I do believe in the separation but can certainly respect your beliefs and the beliefs of the family and the judge.

YES. I don't care what she believes. I'm happy to let people hold whatever belief they'd like to. It's one thing America gets right. But she was in a robe, in an official governmental capacity. She was not serving our city as a civilian. You can respect what she said and it can still be completely inappropriate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonFly57