GUILTY TX - Former Dallas Police Officer Amber Guyger, indicted for Murder of Botham Shem Jean #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I may be in a minority, but I seriously do not think that Amber Guyger would have shot a little old lady in the same circumstances. I think everyone is more likely to be scared of and aggressive toward men, rather than women, and that further, yes, race does play a role.

@Gitana has posted on this several times and with better facts and sources than mine, but here's one:

SAGE Journals: Your gateway to world-class research journals

There are a bunch of other studies about perception and directed attention, and how race affects our focus and how we react. I'm not saying this is "racism" per se on the part of Guyger (although I think her SM posts indicate what I myself view as a very problematic attitude toward race), but the status of black men in our society is not the same as the status of white men. Guyger probably would have shot any male, given that she thought there was an intruder.

But if she had opened that door to see an 8 year old kid watching TV, I do believe she would have hesitated. She would have hesitated if she saw the silhouette of a woman. Sex and race played some role here, the same role those things play in the broader world.
I agree with you.
If she had wrongfully entered an apartment to be greeted with a mother feeding a baby, I doubt she would have killed her.
Before shooting, she had to take position , aim and fire.
She shot him in the heart, she didn't shoot a silhouette.
That proves she had visibility even though all her other senses had allegedly abandoned her, hearing feeling smell feel sight...
I think it's likely she was enraged, possibly because loverboy had cancelled their date in the course of the long phonecall... either that or he presented her with another problem regarding their illicit affair/non-affair...
Did the source of the noise complaint ever actually emerge for sure, does anybody know?

Opinions
Touching moments in a courtroom can’t change the fact that Botham Jean didn’t deserve to die

Nana Efua Mumford
October 4 at 3:42 PM

We have all seen the headlines. We remember the names: Oscar Grant. Michael Brown. Alton Sterling. This story has played out hundreds of times through grainy cellphone videos, police dash-cam cameras and frantic 911 recordings. And over and over, from the death of Eric Garner in New York to the death of Stephon Clark in California, officers across this country have rarely been held responsible for killing black men.

Now, in Texas, a white police officer is going to jail for shooting an unarmed black man. It is something that seemed almost impossible before.

When charges were first announced against Dallas police officer Amber Guyger, it seemed like a straightforward case. Certainly parts of the story were familiar: a young black man who was taken from his family too soon, an officer protected by the blue wall, a mourning black mother.

Yet so many people, including me, couldn’t help but to shake the feeling that this case was going to end differently. This age-old narrative would finally change. From the beginning, the fact that Guyger was even charged at all could be considered progress, as not a single Dallas Police Department officer from 1973 to 2016 was charged with murder for killing a civilian.

Guyger somehow overlooked that she was on the wrong floor, standing at a door with a bright red doormat that she didn’t own. Prosecutors argued that she was distracted by sexts from her partner. Defense attorneys claimed she was tired from a 14-hour shift. Regardless of the forces that brought Guyger to that door, an innocent 26-year-old was killed in his own home.

During the trial, Judge Tammy Kemp permitted jurors to consider the “castle doctrine” in Guyger’s defense, which states that a person is allowed to use deadly force in the protection of their home or “castle.” Of course, Guyger wasn’t in her own castle; she was in Jean’s. But it nonetheless led to widespread fears that Guyger would be able to avoid responsibility for her actions. An acquittal would surely follow, and once again, it would confirm that black lives are valued less than others.

But the jury found Guyger guilty of murder. The Jean family’s attorney, Benjamin Crump, called the verdict “historic,” saying: “We hope that it sends the message to the police departments that your officers should be following the policies of de-escalation. … We pray that it will be a precedence to reaffirm what the United States Constitution has emblazoned on our society, that it is equal justice under the law.”

A day later, Guyger received her sentence: 10 years in prison. After the verdict was read, the Jean family was reportedly silent — “almost shell-shocked,” according to CNN. Later, Botham’s 18-year-old brother, Brandt, said he forgave Guyger and asked to give her a hug. Shortly afterward, the judge also gave Guyger a hug and a Bible, and the two prayed together.

As remarkable and extraordinary as those actions may seem, this isn’t the first time victims of violence against black people have displayed forgiveness and compassion. The members of the congregation at Emanuel AME Church forgave Dylann Roof after he shot and killed nine people during bible study. Teen Vogue columnist Jenn M. Jackson has even argued that the black community is expected to express forgiveness in the face of violence.

So often in these cases that capture the nation’s attention, we search for clarity on what lessons can be learned. We want there to be some overarching message that can help explain the episode or avoid future situations. We look for some small fact that can validate our world view.

After unwrapping the facts in Guyger’s case, I keep coming back to the most basic lesson of all: Some things just never change. During sentencing, Guyger’s attorney Toby Shook said: “This event is so unique, you’ll never see it again in the history of the United States.” I disagree. What happened in this situation has happened many times before. Sure, some parts of the story have been remixed and plot twists were added, but it’s still part of the same book. And until there is action and accountability in the system, it will continue to happen. A conviction and 10-year sentence might provide some measure of justice, but Botham didn’t deserve to die. Touching moments in a courtroom don’t change that fact.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...oric-story-still-hurts/?wpisrc=nl_most&wpmm=1

I think it's likely she was enraged, possibly because loverboy had cancelled their date in the course of the long phonecall... either that or he presented her with another problem regarding their illicit affair/non-affair...
Did the source of the noise complaint ever actually emerge for sure, does anybody know?

I think you hit the nail on the head. Love triangles can cause emotions to run hot, and they can also pop.

[

I agree with you.
If she had wrongfully entered an apartment to be greeted with a mother feeding a baby, I doubt she would have killed her.
That proves she had visibility even though all her other senses had allegedly abandoned her, hearing feeling smell feel sight...
She was in position before she stepped into the apartment.

I agree with you.

Why is it likely she was enraged??

YES.
Exactly this!
This is PRECISELY how I’ve felt since Brandt spoke. Amazing.

It was a major catharsis which left many of us questioning ourselves... for me, I wondered if perhaps the Christians have something ... something I need too...

I have never witnessed faith and forgiveness on the level demonstrated by that young man. It was absolutely amazing. And very humbling.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Love triangles can cause emotions to run hot, and they can also pop.
Remember the other resident who said she was driving pretty fast in the parking garage?
Also creepo conveniently does not recollect the conversation, at all. I mean, how likely is it that your senior partner phones one at home to inquire about arrests? It's not like any drama occurred during the course of her duty...
That guy has to be fired!

I agree with you.
Merritt told CNN: “There were noise complaints from the immediate downstairs neighbors about whoever was upstairs, and that would have been Botham. In fact, there was a noise complaint that very day about upstairs activity in Botham’s apartment. Botham received a phone call about noise coming from his apartment from the downstairs neighbor.”

Merritt didn’t say whether reports had identified the name of the person who made the noise complaints. (Sometimes apartment managers allow noise complaints to remain anonymous, but it’s not known if that was the case in this situyation.) Merritt did clarify that Guyger lived immediately below Jean, who lived on the fourth floor. She was his immediate downstairs neighbor and the reports said that the complaints came from his downstairs neighbors. So it appears that we don’t have confirmation that it was definitely Guyger who made those complaints, but we do know that someone who lived below Jean had made complaints, including on the day he was shot.
Did Amber Guyger Make Noise Complaints on Botham Jean? | Heavy.com

Merritt told CNN: “There were noise complaints from the immediate downstairs neighbors about whoever was upstairs, and that would have been Botham. In fact, there was a noise complaint that very day about upstairs activity in Botham’s apartment. Botham received a phone call about noise coming from his apartment from the downstairs neighbor.”

Merritt didn’t say whether reports had identified the name of the person who made the noise complaints. (Sometimes apartment managers allow noise complaints to remain anonymous, but it’s not known if that was the case in this situyation.) Merritt did clarify that Guyger lived immediately below Jean, who lived on the fourth floor. She was his immediate downstairs neighbor and the reports said that the complaints came from his downstairs neighbors. So it appears that we don’t have confirmation that it was definitely Guyger who made those complaints, but we do know that someone who lived below Jean had made complaints, including on the day he was shot.
Did Amber Guyger Make Noise Complaints on Botham Jean? | Heavy.com
Thanks for that.
Yeah, I remember the night the tape came on Twitter and as the story began to emerge it was presented as fact... that she had been the complainer...
Strange truth has not emerged re complaint. But, I reckon Prosecution would have been all over it if it had been her...
edit- cos just remembered the neighbour stating Jean's singing could be heard in the hallways in the mornings... maybe...
A lot hinges on the contents of that phnecall and looks like we will never know the truth of that unless she tells.
anything is possible, I reckon..

I just needed to watch this again, maybe a few more times...something inside me is cleaving towards it.
Meredith Yeomans on Twitter

It gives me chills to see the emotions and absolute spiritual truth. Honestly, if this young man becomes a preacher, he is set for life. He is so charismatic and powerful. And at his young age, that he can convince a cynic like me, about his testimony in Jesus...he is really something.

It gives me chills to see the emotions and absolute spiritual truth. Honestly, if this young man becomes a preacher, he is set for life. He is so charismatic and powerful. And at his young age, that he can convince a cynic like me, about his testimony in Jesus...he is really something.
Yeah, exactly that.
But I noticed the entire trial did appear to be run on very high spiritual principles.
That came from the Judge.

I always imagined justice should be something like cabalistic principles at a high level... etheric marriage to earthly principles.

But I never ever saw it before in any country in the world.

Thanks for that.
Yeah, I remember the night the tape came on Twitter and as the story began to emerge it was presented as fact... that she had been the complainer...
Strange truth has not emerged re complaint. But, I reckon Prosecution would have been all over it if it had been her...

If a noise complaint was really made the same day as Jean was killed, Amber couldn't have been the one to make the complaint. She was working a 14 hour day.

Speculation about the noise complaints happened early on, part of attempts to find possible connections between Amber and Jean. That someone complained about noise and lived a floor away from Jean was as close as they got to finding a connection.

If a noise complaint was really made the same day as Jean was killed, Amber couldn't have been the one to make the complaint. She was working a 14 hour day.

Speculation about the noise complaints happened early on, part of attempts to find possible connections between Amber and Jean. That someone complained about noise and lived a floor away from Jean was as close as they got to finding a connection.
But, as you know, she had time and space within that 14hr day to make many calls and texts. It is quite possible she made the complaint, well, it's within the realm of possibility.

Why is it likely she was enraged??

I don't know about enraged, but that she might have been feeling pizzy is a reasonable guess. She & her partner had been texting /sexting throughout the day. She told him she was "super horny." She expected to get together with him that night. He couldn't, likely because of the he was already married thing.

Pizzy is (very) plausible, especially given how preoccupied she had to have been to miss all those cues she wasn't where she was supposed to be.

U.S. District Judge Barbara Lynn, who suspended the civil case on Sept. 23 in light of Guyger's criminal trial, will decide the case. But the recommendation filed by the magistrate judge a month earlier will play a key role in determining the city's liability.

U.S. Magistrate Judge Irma Carrillo Ramirez recommended in August that the claims against the city be dismissed. The district judge will review the recommendation and objection, filed by the plaintiff's attorney, and make a decision.

In the objection, the Jean family's lawyers said that the magistrate judge's conclusion that no policy spoke to conduct as an off-duty officer makes it "exceedingly difficult" if not impossible to hold the municipality accountable.

The objection argued that the incidents are numerous enough "to show a pattern," and that DPD has admitted a need for "training, policies and procedures to address the problem."

Plaintiffs in the objection cited a case the Texas Supreme Court heard in May; the justices then ruled an off-duty officer who observes a purported crime becomes on-duty "as a matter of law."

Daryl Washington, one attorney representing Jean's family, said the trial also largely focused on Guyger's actions as if she was on-duty, and that department policies supported her actions.

"Dallas Police Department's policy is to shoot first and ask questions later," Washington said. "That's exactly what Guyger did."

Wallace said that state statute "really saves the city on this" and makes it very unlikely that the plaintiffs could hold the city liable under state law, if a federal lawsuit were to be dismissed.

The city argued that the plaintiff "must show direct causation" for the city to have culpability in the shooting. The magistrate judge sided with the city.

"Texas is not historically a welcome mat for civil rights issues," he said.

"They're going to fight this hard, I promise you," Androphy said. "The city is not going to agree to pay anything."
Dallas likely won't be held liable in civil lawsuit over Guyger case, attorneys say

REally bad news if accurate
Angela Blair on Twitter

here's the hashtag
lots of reports
Joshua Brown - Twitter Search
R.I.P.
edit
Killer at large after man shot at apartment complex near Dallas' Medical District
edit
his facebook page seems to confirm https://www.facebook.com/joshua.brown.712
Lee Merrit has just confirmed (last edit)
Lee Merritt, Esq.
18 mins · Joshua Brown, the next door neighbor of #BothamJean was killed last night after being shot several times by an unknown assailant. Local media have began reporting on the shooting but have not confirmed Brown’s identity. Because, Brown worked closely with prosecutors just a week ago to ensure Amber Guyger was properly convicted in the murder trial, the DA’s office has fairly direct contact with Brown and his family. An ADA has confirmed that it was in fact Brown who was killed
although they have yet to identify a suspect or motive for the shooting. The case is now in the hands of the Dallas Police Department. Brown’s testimony stood out as a fact witness who was approaching his apartment directly across from Botham Jean’s apartment when shots rang out. Brown was still visibly shaken up from the incident when he took the stand to testify on behalf of the prosecution. His murder underscores the reality of the black experience in America. A former athlete turned entrepreneur— Brown lived in constant fear that he could be the next victim of gun violence, either state sanctioned or otherwise. We have more work to do deal with the constant threats to our community both from within and without.
Lee Merritt, Esq.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members