GUILTY MI - Mary Prieur, 88, beaten and suffocated to death, Lennon, Feb 1997 *arrest in 2021*

truecrimegirl

Reaction score
Hi I'm new here and thought I'd see if anyone else was discussing this case from my hometown of Lennon, Michigan. Mary Prieur was an 88 year old woman who on February 27, 1997 was beaten and suffocated near her home in Lennon, Michigan, which is between Flint and Lansing. Lennon is a super small town, a village really and it's hard to believe they've never been able to solve this case. They believe Mary knew her killer and let him into her house willingly. Here is a link to further info on the case: Authorities Ask Public's Help With Decades Old Unsolved Lennon Murder

I would love to see justice for this poor woman. I did not know her but the case is close to home since this is where I grew up and things like this just do not happen there, or so I thought!

Welcome to Websleuths! You may want to see if there is a NamUS account for her and link it here if you find it.

Hi there and welcome.

This is an updated article (January 2019) about her case.

Investigator hopes new DNA test can crack two-decade-old cold case

ENNON, MI - Investigators have for nearly two decades tried to find the person who killed 88-year-old Mary Prieur.

Now, they are turning to new DNA technology that could help them zero in on the person they believe is responsible.

Genesee County Undersheriff Christopher Swanson said evidence from the case, including jewelry and clothing, were sent to a Virginia-based laboratory that can use DNA to develop a profile of the person responsible for Prieur's death.

Swanson said the technology needs only a tiny amount of DNA to create the profile, which could give investigators clues to the physical appearance of the person responsible.

Those clues could then be used to help investigators focus in on a particular suspect, according to Swanson.

Prieur was killed Feb. 27, 1997. Her body was discovered in a swampy, wooded area nearly 150 yards from her home. She was half-naked, strangled and raped.

Swanson has previously said DNA evidence confirmed Prieur was sexually assaulted by a male subject and his office has a group of suspects.

The undersheriff added that he's hoping he can keep a promise he made to catch Prieur's killer.

"I made a promise to her sister," Swanson said. "I'll never, ever forget."

And this is a Facebook site dedicated to her case.
Seeking justice for Mary Prieur! Will someone please come forward?

Lots of info, old paperclips, articles on there.

Bam! Sheriff Swanson told him he'd get him.

God Bless Mary Prieur and her family. Such a brutal assault on a woman who lived all those years.

This hits hard. There's only two "kids" left on my block I knew before they were born! They're high school age. I still see them as kids. My friend says "Yeah and one of those creeps will turn around and hit ya over the head". Horrible to think. Ya never know.

Thank you Sheriff Swanson.

he was living in the area when arrested, very close to where Mary lived when she was murdered according to one report (Michigan Live source), wonder if he continued to live their all his life or moved away and returned, I can't seem to find a social media presence or what his business was.

Since he was a juvenile at the time of the murder, my cynical mind tells me he probably won't even get much prison time if any. Kids can murder people and spent a few months or years in juvenile detention centers and emerge with a clean slate. I wonder if this guy has committed other crimes or murders since 1997.

I’m always glad to see technology make waves with cold cases but I’m guessing it was a pretty poor sample for them to have waited so long.

I’m always glad to see technology make waves with cold cases but I’m guessing it was a pretty poor sample for them to have waited so long.

it must have been new forensic techniques as they had a sample of his DNA not long after the murder, their was also a photograph of him when he was 17 similar to ones I have seen police take so maybe they arrested him or took him in for questioning back then but couldn't prove he did it at that time,

he seems to have been on LE radar from the start, just didn't have enough to charge him till now,

I wonder if he thought he had got away with it, or was he always worried and waiting for knock on door, as throughout the years LE and crimestoppers would publicise the case and ask for help, so he must have been aware they were still investigating

Unbelievable that anyone committed something so terrible.
Rest in peace, Mary.

Kudos to the persistent LE.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dont4get