Found Deceased CA - Erin Valenti, 33, from Utah, en-route from Palo Alto to San Jose, 7 Oct 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
S and BBM

What other scenario- other than foul play- could LE think is reasonable? o_O
They don't have any evidence of foul play. But, what I don't understand is why they are treating it as voluntary missing instead of a regular missing person's case.

I hope to God they have a good reason for that and it's not just because "she's an adult - she can do what she wants." I'll tear my hair out if they make that statement. MOO

Last edited:
As of one hour ago:

Fox 13 News
UPDATE: San Jose Police told Fox 13 they are now treating Erin Valenti as a "voluntary missing person."

And, did Fox13 ask why?! It doesn't appear so...

If they are treating it that way NOW, how were they treating it prior to NOW and what changed?

Yeah .... Between Morgan Hill and Gilroy and south are not wooded except in a few spots .... a car accident isn’t likely ... and like you said heavily traveled... I was on 101 near Gilroy on Monday night and the traffic was light comparatively speaking .
Plenty of time to view the surroundings when you're caught in the Morgan Hill parking lot on 101 :D

As of one hour ago:

Fox 13 News
UPDATE: San Jose Police told Fox 13 they are now treating Erin Valenti as a "voluntary missing person."

And, did Fox13 ask why?! It doesn't appear so...

If they are treating it that way NOW, how were they treating it prior to NOW and what changed?

Anybody know what it means for LE to treat a case as a voluntary missing case? It appears they are indeed now looking for her. I wonder what the difference is to their approach when they think it's voluntary vs. involuntary.

Her SM is a mix of hot and cold .... she’s elated sometimes and completely defeated others . Her last SM post was Sept 30 .. roughly a week before her disappearance? did she drive from LA to PA or fly ? A plane ticket is cheap from those two locales. Driving would be long and expensive with gas being nearly 5 bucks a gallon in LA and 420 here in No Cal . What was her purpose in PA? She didn’t post anything about it as she did in So Cal.

Anybody know what it means for LE to treat a case as a voluntary missing case? It appears they are indeed now looking for her. I wonder what the difference is to their approach when they think it's voluntary vs. involuntary.

When another Utah woman went missing in June , and LE classified her as "voluntarily missing" - LE explained that they had no evidence she was victim of a crime, assault, or endangered.... and that it's not a crime for an adult to leave, disappear, not to want to be found, or stop communicating with her family. They explained that an adult has a right to privacy.

The other Utah woman was in-fact the victim of a horrific crime, but not until her phone and social media led police to the last person she had contact with (her alleged murderer), and questioned him, police then had probable cause to treat her as involuntarily missing. Among other things, the suspect's story didn't check out.

Sadly, I believe police are waiting for evidence of a crime to classify EV as "involuntarily missing."

MOO

ETA - correct missing date to June

Last edited:
"A Utah tech CEO went missing Monday night in California, officials confirmed.

Erin Valenti, of Salt Lake City, was last seen Monday afternoon in Palo Alto, California, wearing torn jeans and a white T-shirt......

She was en route from Palo Alto to San Jose, but she never returned her rental car and missed her flight home to Utah....

Valenti’s husband said nothing like this has ever happened before, and it’s very unlike her to go days without contact. Police are treating her case as a "voluntary missing persons case," and there isn't an active search by law enforcement, according to San Jose Police Sgt. Enrique Garcia. According to preliminary investigations, there does not seem to be any evidence of foul play, Garcia said...."

Utah tech CEO goes missing in California

It's not only out-of-character for her to be unreachable, but she was supposed to be given an award on Wed night at a banquet (see article). Seems odd to me that it's being treated as voluntary missing person. Not sure how that determination is made. Hope she is safe and located soon.
My personal opinion is that the difference between someone being labeled voluntary missing vs endangered missing is lazy cops vs good cops.

They don't have any evidence of foul play. But, what I don't understand is why they are treating it as voluntary missing instead of a regular missing person's case.

I hope to God they have a good reason for that and it's not just because "she's an adult - she can do what she wants." I'll tear my hair out if they make that statement. MOO
If she didn’t return her rental car, shouldn’t that be considered theft and she should be a suspect?

When another Utah woman went missing in August, and LE classified her as "voluntarily missing" - LE explained that they had no evidence she was victim of a crime, assault, or endangered.... and that it's not a crime for an adult to leave, disappear, not to want to be found, or stop communicating with her family. They explained that an adult has a right to privacy.

The other Utah woman was in-fact the victim of a horrific crime, but not until her phone and social media led police to the last person she had contact with (her alleged murderer), and questioned him, police then had probable cause to treat her as involuntarily missing. Among other things, the suspect's story didn't check out.

Sadly, I believe police are waiting for evidence of a crime to classify EV as "involuntarily missing."

MOO
Husband is able to ping her phone. So does that mean he can also see all her calls and text messages previous to her phone being shut off?

I saw she is going to make a film about her business, hence her visit to Laguna Beach earlier this month. Also the business award she missed this week in Utah. Erin has a lot of seemingly great things going on in her life. I guess that doesn't mean she couldn't be troubled or stressed. But like 3blue1pink said, she is up and down on her social media, maybe this should be given some weight? She also has no pictures or mentions of her husband that I can find.

Erin Valenti's family and friends are now in the Bay Area trying to unravel the mystery and find her. She was last seen in Palo Alto, but her family believes based on her phone activity Valenti may have been driving in San Jose.

Valenti's family and friends on Friday walked around the San Jose neighborhood with flier to see if any neighbors might have seen her.

The 33-year-old Valenti is the CEO of Tinker Ventures. Her family says she was in the Bay Area for conferences and to meet up with friends. Family said Valenti failed to make her flight home from San Jose and that in their last conversation she sounded confused, disjointed and was not acting like herself.

Family Searching for Utah Woman Reported Missing in Bay Area

Husband is able to ping her phone. So does that mean he can also see all her calls and text messages previous to her phone being shut off?

I saw she is going to make a film about her business, hence her visit to Laguna Beach earlier this month. Also the business award she missed this week in Utah. Erin has a lot of seemingly great things going on in her life. I guess that doesn't mean she couldn't be troubled or stressed. But like 3blue1pink said, she is up and down on her social media, maybe this should be given some weight? She also has no pictures or mentions of her husband that I can find.
I don't know what kind of phone Erin or her husband has, but I can ping my husband's phone and visa versa (we have iPhone's) but we can't see each others' calls or texts.

Her social media having no mention or photos of her husband is somehow troubling to me. I don't really know what to make of it.

Last edited:

Have you seen any photos that show her wearing a wedding ring? I haven't been able to review all her photos yet - just wondering if you looked for that. MOO

It grinds my gears that they’re treating this as voluntary missing without giving any more information.

Does anyone have information on her company/salary etc? I would think that might be a good place to start if we are thinking foul play. If this company was high grossing or was going to sell for a lot of money, I could definitely see why a potential competitor might want to nefariously intervene, jmo.

Why won't someone ask them WHY? Did LE tell her husband why and he just doesn't believe them or what?

Utah woman considered ‘voluntary missing person’ by California police
Police in California are saying a Utah woman went missing voluntarily this week.

[...]

“At this time, we are treating this case as a voluntary missing person,” San Jose Police Sgt. Enrique Garcia told Fox 13 Friday.

[...]

Why won't someone ask them WHY? Did LE tell her husband why and he just doesn't believe them or what?

Utah woman considered ‘voluntary missing person’ by California police
Police in California are saying a Utah woman went missing voluntarily this week.

[...]

“At this time, we are treating this case as a voluntary missing person,” San Jose Police Sgt. Enrique Garcia told Fox 13 Friday.

[...]
My hinky meter here is off the charts. If they’re basing it off the rental car and the phone ping I’m going to scream.

Erin Valenti's family and friends are now in the Bay Area trying to unravel the mystery and find her. She was last seen in Palo Alto, but her family believes based on her phone activity Valenti may have been driving in San Jose.

Valenti's family and friends on Friday walked around the San Jose neighborhood with flier to see if any neighbors might have seen her.

The 33-year-old Valenti is the CEO of Tinker Ventures. Her family says she was in the Bay Area for conferences and to meet up with friends. Family said Valenti failed to make her flight home from San Jose and that in their last conversation she sounded confused, disjointed and was not acting like herself.

Family Searching for Utah Woman Reported Missing in Bay Area
Interesting. Trying not to jump to a conclusion over here. I am surprised that the rental car has not been found as yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa