TX - Atatiana Jefferson, 28, fatally shot at home, Fort Worth, Oct 2019 *officer charged*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nephew, 8, was in room when Fort Worth police shot woman in her home while the two played video games

An 8-year-old boy was in the room when his aunt was fatally shot while playing video games in her home by a Fort Worth officer who never announced that he was a police officer, authorities and the family confirmed.

Investigators were scheduled Monday to interview the officer who shot Atatiana "Tay" Jefferson, 28, early Saturday morning, police Lt. Brandon O’Neil said. Police also released audio of a neighbor's calm call to a non-emergency phone number that sent police to the home.

Jefferson, who was black, worked as a pharmaceutical sales representative. The officer, who is white, has served on the force for 18 months, police said. The shooting took place less than two weeks after former Dallas police officer Amber Guyger was convicted of murdering Botham Jean, a black man shot in 2018 as he ate ice cream in his home.

S. Lee Merritt, a lawyer for Jefferson's family, said the victim's nephew told him the duo had been up late playing "Halo" – with the doors open to enjoy the cool fall breeze – when they heard noise outside her bedroom window.

Nephew, 8, was in room when Fort Worth police shot woman in her home while the two played video games

An 8-year-old boy was in the room when his aunt was fatally shot while playing video games in her home by a Fort Worth officer who never announced that he was a police officer, authorities and the family confirmed.

Investigators were scheduled Monday to interview the officer who shot Atatiana "Tay" Jefferson, 28, early Saturday morning, police Lt. Brandon O’Neil said. Police also released audio of a neighbor's calm call to a non-emergency phone number that sent police to the home.

Jefferson, who was black, worked as a pharmaceutical sales representative. The officer, who is white, has served on the force for 18 months, police said. The shooting took place less than two weeks after former Dallas police officer Amber Guyger was convicted of murdering Botham Jean, a black man shot in 2018 as he ate ice cream in his home.

S. Lee Merritt, a lawyer for Jefferson's family, said the victim's nephew told him the duo had been up late playing "Halo" – with the doors open to enjoy the cool fall breeze – when they heard noise outside her bedroom window.

It's a miracle the 8 year old didn't jump up and get shot, too. :(

“ – with the doors open to enjoy the cool fall breeze – when they heard noise outside her bedroom window.”

Well there you have it.
Poster nrdsb4 was right!
TG the nephew survived to tell the completely okay way they were living life!

Last edited:
“ – with the doors open to enjoy the cool fall breeze – when they heard noise outside her bedroom window.”

Well there you have it.
TG the nephew survived to tell the completely okay way they were living life!
“ – with the doors open to enjoy the cool fall breeze"

Myself and others on this thread from Texas have pointed out what a welcome relief that cold front was on Friday after the hot summer we have had. We all mentioned how we had our windows and doors open too. It was pretty much the first thing anyone said when you talked with them Friday "how 'bout this weather?!" Everyone was airing out their homes from the summer funk of the stale AC.

It is unfathomable and unconscionable that Ft. Worth PD would not have considered this a possibility for why these people's doors were open.

That kind of breaks my heart. I'm picturing staying up late with auntie after a week at school, popcorn, coke floats, video games and that cool breeze everyone had been praying for after all of the crappy heat of the past month.

This kid is going to have PTSD and will need a lot of support and probably a fair amount of counseling.

“ – with the doors open to enjoy the cool fall breeze"

Myself and others on this thread from Texas have pointed out what a welcome relief that cold front was on Friday after the hot summer we have had. We all mentioned how we had our windows and doors open too. It was pretty much the first thing anyone said when you talked with them Friday "how 'bout this weather?!" Everyone was airing out their homes from the summer funk of the stale AC.

It is unfathomable and unconscionable that Ft. Worth PD would not have considered this a possibility for why these people's doors were open.

Yeah, I posted before reading the whole thread, and I think you were the first to mention it.

I don't necessarily think they should have immediately figured that was the reason for the open door, but certainly the door being open was absolutely no cause to shoot someone for the crime of being visible in a lighted room. Such a shame.

All night - like while you're asleep? Get a swamp cooler and be careful about what can wonder in (human or FELINE - and I don't mean a house cat).

LOL We have a cooler. When the weather turns nice we turn off our air conditioner and turn on the cooler. We have security screens on all doors and windows. Yes all night, sounds crazy but since this story I haven't felt safe with everything opened up, and that really really bugs me. It's an awful feeling to not feel safe in your own home :(

Good Morning,

Just saw this on my local news:

After Ft. Worth police shoot, kill Xavier grad, school president says 'we are deeply dismayed'

Xavier University of Louisiana President Reynold Verret has issued a public statement decrying the killing of African Americans by police following the shooting death of an Xavier graduate in Forth Worth, Texas, this weekend.

Link: After Ft. Worth police shoot, kill Xavier grad, school president says 'we are deeply dismayed'

Good Morning,

Just saw this on my local news:

After Ft. Worth police shoot, kill Xavier grad, school president says 'we are deeply dismayed'

Xavier University of Louisiana President Reynold Verret has issued a public statement decrying the killing of African Americans by police following the shooting death of an Xavier graduate in Forth Worth, Texas, this weekend.

Link: After Ft. Worth police shoot, kill Xavier grad, school president says 'we are deeply dismayed'

So sick of these evil people who think skin color matters when it comes to police shootings.

Because someone pointing a gun at a police officer is not a threat to the officer? She could see out the window that it was the police, and I have no doubt that she was pointing that gun at them. Just because second-guessers cannot see her in the window from the body camera, the officer could see her and her gun, he had his flashlight pointed at the window.

Tragic yes of course, but No criminal charges IMO
Please site your source that states “she was pointing a gun at the officer.” And that she could “see out her window”. Wtah? That 1600 lum light would have blinded her.

And I’m going to point out two things:

2nd Amendment and Castle Doctrine.

It would be good for police officers (like this coward cop) to understand it’s not okay to shoot innocent people because they’re scared.

The family of a victim killed by police in her living room in Fort Worth, Texas, holds a news conference.

ABC News @ABC

EG2iobxXUAAfnqO.jpg

Last edited:
Reporter asks Lt. O'Neil if officer who killed AtatianaJefferson was threatened w/ a gun (FWPD released pic of gun they found in house) O'Neil couldn't answer. Why release images? reporter asks. O'Neil says he doesn't want to answer what will be gone over at presser tomorrow.
Nichole Manna (@NicholeManna) on Twitter

What was the purpose of this "press conference". Nothing of importance was said. This gun that was found on the floor after the victim was murdered looked like a Salt Gun for Killing Flies, OR maybe one of those used for playing video games.

Because someone pointing a gun at a police officer is not a threat to the officer? She could see out the window that it was the police, and I have no doubt that she was pointing that gun at them. Just because second-guessers cannot see her in the window from the body camera, the officer could see her and her gun, he had his flashlight pointed at the window.

Whoa!! With all due respect, this is not what happened. imo

No words except that this is insanity. Speechless, FWPD never ceases to amaze me. :rolleyes:

:(:( RIP beautiful Atatiana, justice WILL be served.

This is the same root cause as Guyger. Shoot first and ask questions/use your brain later.

And I mean the malignant attitude of complete indifference to human life.

He could have:

called the house; had dispatch call the house
knocked at the door
announced he was a police officer
turned on his flashing lights out front
retreated
called for help
spoke to the neighbor

I am sure it isn't a surprise to police officers in Texas that many homeowners might have a gun and be legitimately trying to protect themselves when police arrive; hence the flashing lights and loud announcement "this is the police" before you start pumping bullets into the house.- but the gun was also a toy, she was playing video games with her nephew.

Shoot first because that person doesn't really matter- that is what caused this.

Last edited:
@CNSDallas @CourthouseNews

Sister of AtatianaJefferson, Amber Carr, says her 8yo son Zion was with her during shooting. Says she was living in her mother's home to help her recover from surgery. Yolanda Carr is still in the hospital and unable to attend presser @CourthouseNews
@MeritLaw thanks @fortworthpd for quickly releasing bodycam video, but criticizes freeze frame of her gun without context. Says "they are trying to make the case officer perceived a thread and reacted to their training." Says video cut off after shot fired
says she did not allow nephew Zion, 8, to approach window before shooting. "I shudder to think what would have happened" if he was at the window when cop fired. Were playing CallofDuty
says neighbor who called for welfare check due to open front door feared her mom, Yolanda, had returned home and had another medical episode. "Tight knit community, ppl know each other"
expects @fortworthpd to arrest unidentified officer and hand over investigation to outside agency, calls for DOJ involvement. Says she legally owned gun, licensed to carry

https://mobile.twitter.com/hashtag/CallofDuty?src=hashtag_click
https://www.websleuths.com/MeritLaw/followers_you_follow
https://www.websleuths.com/adnes68

This is the same root cause as Guyger. Shoot first and ask questions/use your brain later.

And I mean the malignant attitude of complete indifference to human life.

He could have:

called the house; had dispatch call the house
knocked at the door
announced he was a police officer
turned on his flashing lights out front
retreated
called for help
spoke to the neighbor

This is nothing like the AG case. IMO, there is no way a jury will ever in a million years think similarly to this situation the way the AG jury did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member