TX - Atatiana Jefferson, 28, fatally shot at home, Fort Worth, Oct 2019 *officer charged*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice to see Lee Merritt is there to the rescue. He'll make sure that it is a racial matter, even when it isn't.

There definitely is something wrong with both the Dallas and Fort Worth Police Department training if they shoot first as their first choice. That is no common sense, whatsoever.

It seems to me that the public at large is held to a higher standard than a trained police officer in these departments are. A citizen has a duty to retreat if that is an option. You would think that these police officers would go over emergency procedures over and over again until they could perform them in their sleep.

My ex-husband was a military pilot. He went over emergency procedures over and over again until he knew them like we know how to brush our teeth. He used them when both engines caught fire in his F-4 jet and had to eject over Kadena Bay.

These police officers should go through emergency procedures over and over again. Saving lives, not just their own, should be their #1 objective.

Last edited:
This is nothing like the AG case. IMO, there is no way a jury will ever in a million years think similarly to this situation the way the AG jury did.
It is in the sense that they both did what they did for the same reason. She missed multiple clues that she was in the wrong place and did not take advantage of many opportunities to stop and think. I believe she did that then, and the current officer did that here because they both never felt any doubt about their assessment of the situation and their "right" to use deadly force. I think this comes from the same attitude of aggression.

This sweet little guy has lost his forever best friend ☹ My youngest (now 41 years old) daughter (she has no kids) has been involved in the lives of my 5 Grandkids from their birth. One G-kid is 15, the other 4 are in their 30’s. Playing video games among many other things is part of their relationships. This is so so sad. God bless this sweet little one.

The press is reporting this is a shooting by a white officer. How does anyone know the race of the offender? I've seen the body cam and the race is not clear to me (not that it much matters IMO).

EG2e8moX4AA5xnP.jpg

https://police.fortworthtexas.gov/Public/general-orders
p. 107

it was in the press release
EGsbrSzXUAMdNna.jpg

Snipped from the release:
Perceiving a threat the officer drew his duty weapon and fired one shot....

Ummm, wasn't he was walking around with his weapon out and pointed? So that statement is misleading. As we have all seen by the video realeased, there is a period of time described in that sentence that does not exist in reality.

Snipped from the release:
Ummm, wasn't he was walking around with his weapon out and pointed? So that statement is misleading. As we have all seen by the video realeased, there is a period of time described in that sentence that does not exist in reality.
they aren't going to come out and say
"he heard sounds from call of duty and got scared"
or maybe they will

I live 15 minutes south of Fort Worth. This news stuns me. How can something like this happen?

This isn't the first time, either. I remember hearing about an elderly gentleman, around 70 years old, who was in his garage in the early hours of the morning. His neighbor, I believe, had called about a possible burglar in the area.

The police actually killed this guy in his own garage. He was unarmed and minding his own business. It didn't make the national news. It was white officers and a white victim.

EDIT: I found some information where the family of the elderly man is trying to sue the police department. It is disgusting to me that the police are trying to disparage this dead man and make it look like he was an aggressor in his own home against this trespassors (these cops). They were admittedly at the wrong house in the middle of the night. We have "stand your ground" law here. Can you imagine if this now dead guy had dared shoot one of these police officers (which he clearly had the right to do)? Panel Urged to Advance Case of Elderly Man Killed by Cops

I don't think these crimes are racist. I think that there was be a lack of training in these precincts.

Now that I have read the follow-up about the case with the elderly man, I don't think these cops are above "spinning" the story to avoid taking blame.

I don't know what happened with the other case; however, there apparently needs to be a major review from top down in both the Dallas and Fort Worth Police Departments.

It didn't make the national news. It was white officers and a white victim.

So glad you posted this. This is NOT a race issue but is spun that way for political reasons. It's critical this be understood so this threat to life and liberty can be addressed by ALL of the people, instead of framing this as about racism.

This reminds me of other cases where elderly people have been murdered by police. One that comes to mind is a man who was in a nursing home and decided he didn't want some particular surgery that the nursing home wanted him to have. Some moron there actually called the cops when he became insistent that he was refusing the surgery so the cops killed him, claiming he was "combative".

“ – with the doors open to enjoy the cool fall breeze"

Myself and others on this thread from Texas have pointed out what a welcome relief that cold front was on Friday after the hot summer we have had. We all mentioned how we had our windows and doors open too. It was pretty much the first thing anyone said when you talked with them Friday "how 'bout this weather?!" Everyone was airing out their homes from the summer funk of the stale AC.

It is unfathomable and unconscionable that Ft. Worth PD would not have considered this a possibility for why these people's doors were open.

I am in east Texas. We rarely get any kind of a breeze here. I don't even to put out my wind chimes any longer. Friday was so nice! Windows open!
Another tragic story because of another ***** cop.

This case is horrible. This woman was in her own home, with a young child, minding her own business, doing nothing wrong. Certainly nothing that warranted a death sentence. My heart goes out to her family, particularly her nephew who witnessed her death, and the neighbor who phoned the NON emergency line for a wellness check. I can't imagine what that poor neighbor feels. Trying to look out for his neighbor and now she is dead. Murdered in her own home.

I want to see this officer immediately removed from the force and criminally charged. At the very least I would think manslaughter charges are appropriate. It's extremely disappointing that the Fort Worth PD chose to publicize that a firearm was present in the home. Deflection much? This case angers me a great deal. Think I better just zip it for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member