Found Deceased OR - Owen Klinger, 18, University of Portland, 6 Oct 2019

There is a short video from OK’s mom recently posted on the official Instagram page. She sounded relieved, saying that they talked to police today and while the train theory is one of LE’s leading theories, they are still looking into other possibilities. The video states that lab technicians are looking further into Owen’s laptop. The mom also says that when the family looked on Owen’s YouTube account they weren’t necessarily able to see that he watched train hopping videos recently, just that he is subscribed to a channel that posts such videos. The mom states he is subscribed to 50 other unrelated channels beyond that. Of course, the parents are looking for anything that will disprove the idea that their son is avoiding contact with them voluntarily, but plants some
more doubt about how much of a sure thing the train theory is

My theory is he took out only enough money to pay for a service. He planned on coming back that night, but something went wrong and he met his fate. If I were the cops I'd be scouring the area where he was last seen walking. Stop people on the street and show his picture, ask the locals (the homeless) if they'd seen him on night of the 6th. The homeless watch everything going on on their street. He's not hopping on trains, he's not trudging up to a cabin, he's not having an adventure. IMO

My theory is he took out only enough money to pay for a service. He planned on coming back that night, but something went wrong and he met his fate. If I were the cops I'd be scouring the area where he was last seen walking. Stop people on the street and show his picture, ask the locals (the homeless) if they'd seen him on night of the 6th. The homeless watch everything going on on their street. He's not hopping on trains, he's not trudging up to a cabin, he's not having an adventure. IMO
I agree with this scenario. I think the easiest way for him to vanish and not be seen on a home or business security camera would to have been picked up by someone closest to the place of the last known bus video sighting. It’s Sunday night, it’s dark and cold. I feel he is meeting someone he doesn’t want his roommates to know about so he plans a meet up off campus. They drive up to the curb and he hops in. Whether this is a date with someone or a purchasing meet up, he would no longer be seen on the streets. I think he planned on being back in his dorm later that night.

I am glad that the media in Portland is more savvy than I am and keeping this in front of the public. I bought the train theory hook, line and sinker. without question, thinking that the train hopping videos were the most recent thing Owen watched. His parents say he had warm weather clothing in his closet at school but left in a light jacket. Unless he was headed south, the train hopping theory doesn't make sense. Speaking of school ...where is the University of Portland in all of this? Not impressed with them.

I am glad that the media in Portland is more savvy than I am and keeping this in front of the public. I bought the train theory hook, line and sinker. without question, thinking that the train hopping videos were the most recent thing Owen watched. His parents say he had warm weather clothing in his closet at school but left in a light jacket. Unless he was headed south, the train hopping theory doesn't make sense. Speaking of school ...where is the University of Portland in all of this? Not impressed with them.
I still wonder where the Lacrosse team is? I would have expected the Coach to be in the center trying to locate him! He waited two days to put a flier on his Facebook page. Where is the team? It really makes me wonder if there was a hazing/bullying event that occurred? It brings up red flags for me! The Police should have been going thru his laptop way before now and I’m upset with the Police interview about the update. The parents said Owen was subscribed to 52 YouTube channels and this was one of the 52! I subscribe to a channel on quilt tours in Lancaster County PA so I guess if I’m missing the PPD will have me sewing quilts hiding on an Amish farm!

I still wonder where the Lacrosse team is? I would have expected the Coach to be in the center trying to locate him! He waited two days to put a flier on his Facebook page. Where is the team? It really makes me wonder if there was a hazing/bullying event that occurred? It brings up red flags for me! The Police should have been going thru his laptop way before now and I’m upset with the Police interview about the update. The parents said Owen was subscribed to 52 YouTube channels and this was one of the 52! I subscribe to a channel on quilt tours in Lancaster County PA so I guess if I’m missing the PPD will have me sewing quilts hiding on an Amish farm!

It was only 6 weeks into the semester so maybe the Lacrosse team had just formed and they didn’t really know Owen?? IMHO, I have found the silence from his friends a little strange. I would expect them to be more vocal. He received or sent several texts in a group chat right before his phone turned off. I can’t believe no one has come forward to say they were texting with him at that time. Hoping the police can get those texts before they are wiped from the system.

It was only 6 weeks into the semester so maybe the Lacrosse team had just formed and they didn’t really know Owen?? IMHO, I have found the silence from his friends a little strange. I would expect them to be more vocal. He received or sent several texts in a group chat right before his phone turned off. I can’t believe no one has come forward to say they were texting with him at that time. Hoping the police can get those texts before they are wiped from the system.
The group chat information is very interesting! I had not heard that before!

The group chat information is very interesting! I had not heard that before!

“The last thing before her son’s phone “went dark” shows a series of group texts. Mary Klinger said she has checked with the groups of people her son would most likely be texting with, like the lacrosse team and his study group at school, and has not identified who her son was in contact with.”

Family disputes police ‘freight train’ theory, continues search for missing Portland student

“The last thing before her son’s phone “went dark” shows a series of group texts. Mary Klinger said she has checked with the groups of people her son would most likely be texting with, like the lacrosse team and his study group at school, and has not identified who her son was in contact with.”

Family disputes police ‘freight train’ theory, continues search for missing Portland student
Wow. This is also the first I’ve heard about the timing of the group texts. That seems huge. I can’t believe LE apparently hasn’t made any efforts to get those records from the cell phone company. Seems like maybe that could unlock some really key information

Wow. This is also the first I’ve heard about the timing of the group texts. That seems huge. I can’t believe LE apparently hasn’t made any efforts to get those records from the cell phone company. Seems like maybe that could unlock some really key information
Also huge- the fact that none of the other participants in those texts has come forward to show the family the content.

Phone carriers only keep texts for a limited time so my concern would be making sure the texts aren't deleted. I would hire legal representation ASAP to help preserve the account if the PPB haven't already done so. I assume that's possible since Owen's phone is part of a family plan, but I'm not a lawyer so maybe that's not even possible.

Phone carriers only keep texts for a limited time so my concern would be making sure the texts aren't deleted. I would hire legal representation ASAP to help preserve the account if the PPB haven't already done so. I assume that's possible since Owen's phone is part of a family plan, but I'm not a lawyer so maybe that's not even possible.
They said they had Consumer Cellular. Consumer Cellular isn’t considered a cell phone carrier, legally speaking, since they do not own the lines. They lease usage of line space from ATT and TMobile. I’ve heard it’s more difficult and takes longer to get records from Consumer Cellular since they have to abide by different privacy laws. They lease from ATT and TMobile so more privacy laws kick in vs a carrier who owns the line the information travelled on.

New angle....doesn't explain where he is, but maybe an angle to look into.

Antifa

Big in Portland. Active in Portland. Something that would appeal to an idealistic young person in Portland that could be done without entirely dropping out of school. Would require some form of secrecy to participate. Clothes he was wearing match the generic look. They are not always in black and if you google image Antifa Portland, there are plenty with activists all decked out in navy blue, with items to cover face, etc... I think Anitfa motto is to be ready for things to go down.

You may have to run. You may have to hide. You may want your identity covered some. You may need to protect your head. You may need water to clear tear gas out of eyes or help others. He could've done all of that dressed the way he was when leaving the dorm.

All of that and going off the beaten path would fit the behavior that has been reported. It would also explain unknown group texts before going dark.

I would think he would have left some evidence of this to be found. I don't know how Antifa organizes in between bigger protests. I don't know how they are organized and run. I hear it is more of a movement that brings different groups against the same thing together so likely factions that operate in different ways.

Just something to consider.

Antifa Portland Image
Google Image Result for https://americaoutloud.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/PortlandAntifa.jpg

They said they had Consumer Cellular. Consumer Cellular isn’t considered a cell phone carrier, legally speaking, since they do not own the lines. They lease usage of line space from ATT and TMobile. I’ve heard it’s more difficult and takes longer to get records from Consumer Cellular since they have to abide by different privacy laws. They lease from ATT and TMobile so more privacy laws kick in vs a carrier who owns the line the information travelled on.

Ugh! That makes it sound so complicated :(

It does look like Consumer Cellular is a local company with their headquarters in Tigard. His parents might try finding someone at Consumer Cellular to lean on for help working through the complexity of the privacy laws. UP has a lot of connections locally. I bet they could help in this regard.

*John Marick, the co-founder of Consumer Cellular, is actually listed as an alum of University of Portland. I would definitely ask UP to try and connect the Klingers with Marick to help get those records, expeditiously and legally (of course).

Also huge- the fact that none of the other participants in those texts has come forward to show the family the content.

I’ve been in group texts before and not known exactly who all is texting because some people aren’t in my contacts list. They are friends of friends. So it’s possible that happened with this group, except for the one who started the group text. It may not have been a formal “group” like Lacrosse, but aquaintences of the original texter who don’t all know each other.

I know, right? The University is downplaying, if you ask me. Where are his Lacrosse teammates? There's no such thing as "too much searching" at this point in the case.

The part about Consumer Cellular is fascinating and also upsetting. Sounds like UP could definitely make a few phone calls. What a world we live in, though.

As much as I, er, dislike AT&T and Verizon, I do think they are better choices, tracking-wise (I have two young adult daughters, the worry never goes away).

It is very concerning that he didn't take a warmer jacket and that the people involved in his last texts have not come forward. Even if there were group texts, by this time, everyone even vaguely related to Owen's social life should have had their ears perk up and the person who started the texts should have some clue that the subject matter included people like Owen. If in fact all of the people on that group text are completely out-of-the-loop (or dullards), I'd be very surprised. At any rate, Owen had to have known at least one of the people in the group, I'd wager.

And wouldn't the cellular data issue with Consumer Cellular also block LE from immediately getting the ping trail?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ateav
Back