UK - Man trapped upside-down on top of 290 foot tall chimney, Carlisle, 28 Oct 2019

Legally Bland

Reaction score
_109429071_mediaitem109428558.jpg

A rescue operation is under way to free a man who has become trapped at the top of a 290ft tall former mill chimney.

Emergency services were called to Dixons Chimney in Carlisle at about 02:20 GMT and a helicopter is hovering near the top of the structure.

Footage from the scene appears to show a figure, upside down with his legs in the air, at the top of the chimney.

Firefighters have appealed for "anyone who has a cherry picker in excess of 90 metres within Cumbria" to contact them.

A Cumbria Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson said: "This is a very complex and difficult process given the obvious dangers to the man and the extreme difficulty in gaining access to him in a way which will keep him and emergency services safe.

Man stuck at top of 290ft chimney

10597781.jpg

John McVay, Cumbria Fire and Rescue area manager said: “This is a very complex and difficult process given the obvious dangers to the man and the extreme difficulty in gaining access to him in a way which will keep him and emergency services safe.

“I can assure the public that the emergency services are working tirelessly and effectively together to resolve this issues safely for all and that the protection of life is our first priority.

“I ask people impacted by the incident and the road closures to continue to show patience.”

“I’d also like to ask anyone who has a cherry picker in excess of 90 metres within Cumbria to please contact Cumbria police or Cumbria Fire and rescue service on 999.”

Dixon's Chimney incident Carlisle: Cherry picker sought by local business to help with rescue

ITV News Border
@ITVborder

·
21s

"This is probably one of the most difficult rescue missions I've ever encountered." The man trapped at the top of a 290ft chimney in Carlisle has stopped responding to the emergency services, but police say it's still being treated as a rescue mission.

Oh no l hope he's just passed out

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard
Back