Australia Australia - Theo Hayez, 18, Belgian backpacker, Byron Bay, June 2019 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there anywhere to be seen, a time on this video? I couldn't see one.

Just recalling that he didn't head toward the backpackers when he left CM...

I don't think on the video itself however his cousin quotes that it was at 11;17pm he was clocked on the Aloha villa CCTV.

Personally I do not believe it is him IMO

I don’t think it’s him either. The trousers are also too dark. They look almost black and not a lighter colour like tan. This person in the video looks a different build too. Remember also that the police chose not to use this footage as it wasn’t good enough. JMO.

Attachments

• 497CB41F-30FB-49A7-AB52-44011638D4C6.jpeg
    497CB41F-30FB-49A7-AB52-44011638D4C6.jpeg
    38.8 KB · Views: 54
I don't think on the video itself however his cousin quotes that it was at 11;17pm he was clocked on the Aloha villa CCTV.

Personally I do not believe it is him IMO
Timing could possibly fit IF he turned back after the footage seen when he left CM...

I tend to agree with you, i'm not convinced it's Theo either. Person in that video looks a bit taller? IMO
Doesn't look to be a hoodie this guy wearing either..MOO....geez, it's hard to be sure though....and i'm only looking at a small image on my phone.

Timing could possibly fit IF he turned back after the footage seen when he left CM...

I tend to agree with you, i'm not convinced it's Theo either. Person in that video looks a bit taller? IMO
Doesn't look to be a hoodie this guy wearing either..MOO....geez, it's hard to be sure though....and i'm only looking at a small image on my phone.

I don’t think even the clothes fit however as you said image is hard to tell.

I agree Jenz doesn’t even look like hoodie.

I didn’t find the walk the same however his family would be more able to identify his style of walking than me

I don’t think it’s him either. The trousers are also too dark. They look almost black and not a lighter colour like tan. This person in the video looks a different build too. Remember also that the police chose not to use this footage as it wasn’t good enough. JMO.

That’s right, they said was not clear enough to identify the person according to police.

And I agree. His pants do look a bit darker in cctv yes. I remember early on a resident on Shirley also saw a man running he thought was Theo passed his house. I wonder if it was the same person and timing as they in cctv?

I don’t think even the clothes fit however as you said image is hard to tell.

I agree Jenz doesn’t even look like hoodie.

I didn’t find the walk the same however his family would be more able to identify his style of walking than me

Looks like a dark jacket, and I can’t detect a cap. This person is on their phone and heading in the direction of the hostel at around the same time Theo is wandering around too. My hunch has always been something to do with the hostel, and more specifically it’s occupants (staff and guests). I’d love to know how the hostel explained overlooking him, his room and belongings for 3 days. It’s a business and space equals money. Strikes me as unusual and odd. Adding to that is that Theo’s immediate social connections and contacts would have been forged there. Guess they need more to go on.

Looks like a dark jacket, and I can’t detect a cap. This person is on their phone and heading in the direction of the hostel at around the same time Theo is wandering around too. My hunch has always been something to do with the hostel, and more specifically it’s occupants (staff and guests). I’d love to know how the hostel explained overlooking him, his room and belongings for 3 days. It’s a business and space equals money. Strikes me as unusual and odd. Adding to that is that Theo’s immediate social connections and contacts would have been forged there. Guess they need more to go on.
Can't detect a cap either..

I often wondered that too, seemed odd to take 3 days after he was due to checkout. One day maybe?MOO...given that it had already been 2 days since he had been noticed by anyone. That bothers me...JMO

Can't detect a cap either..

I often wondered that too, seemed odd to take 3 days after he was due to checkout. One day maybe?MOO...given that it had already been 2 days since he had been noticed by anyone. That bothers me...JMO

Does anyone know if he was in a dorm or a private room at the hostel? I’d imagine a dorm as it’s far cheaper for a person on a budget.

Also, his mother set off the the alarm about his lack of presence. Makes you wonder how long it would have taken for the hostel to take action.

Does anyone know if he was in a dorm or a private room at the hostel? I’d imagine a dorm as it’s far cheaper for a person on a budget.

Also, his mother set off the the alarm about his lack of presence. Makes you wonder how long it would have taken for the hostel to take action.

I don't believe that info has been confirmed about his dorm and if he was sharing that I am aware of but being such a busy area and full of backpackers you would wonder why if he had not checked out when was supposed to why they did not try and contact him via phone to get his belongings.

I find it strange if he was due to check out the 3/6 and alarm was raised 6/6 how his money passport etc was untouched.

This leads me to believe:

1: He was sharing with someone else who was still checked in at the time and they either left their gear there to travel a few days elsewhere and then come back, or they simply didnt think anything of it or care he had not returned as thought he may be off a few days traveling around too.

2: He was sharing with several others and he left his passport and valuables in the safety deposit box at the front desk and because the room had other guests his clothing/bags was untouched and unnoticed fr days as each guest thought was someone elses and didn't really have a reason or concern over it

He wasn't carrying his passport on him which is recommended when staying in a hostel or locking it up in a safe if possible so if he left his cash, passport etc in a room he was staying that leads me to believe he was likely in his own room.

Or he left it in safety deposit box however that doesn't then account for his other belongings not being detected prior and found in his room on the 6th after his mum and cousin raised the alarm.

Upon checking out the room would need to be serviced so makes no sense how in this case his bed and room could remain untouched for 3 days until the alarm was raised when they likely had someone else booked in.

If his belongings were moved to lost property then most likely we would heard this, that staff found his belongings and moved them to lost or unclaimed area etc, but we didnt. S tells me untouched means untouched, nobody went into his room in those days after he was meant to check out.

https://www.lastminute.com.au/Byron-Bay-Hotels-Wake-Up-Byron-Bay.h4881214.Hotel-Information

Hostel Amenities
  • Safe-deposit box at front desk

About the new released video footage, it is an early discovered footage by the family. Police would later rule out the man in the footage being Theo. But at the time it was one of few leads in the case.
An investigative journalist has been working with the family and has now started a free podcast series about the case. All the details are explained in there.
He has released the video.

You should subscribe to the podcast to follow the investigation:
NoCookies | The Australian

About the new released video footage, it is an early discovered footage by the family. Police would later rule out the man in the footage being Theo. But at the time it was one of few leads in the case.
An investigative journalist has been working with the family and has now started a free podcast series about the case. All the details are explained in there.
He has released the video.

You should subscribe to the podcast to follow the investigation:
NoCookies | The Australian

It is a shame that there was little CCTV installed in premises and residential the night Theo went missing.

I look forward to hearing more on the podcast as it comes out.

It is a shame that there was little CCTV installed in premises and residential the night Theo went missing.

I look forward to hearing more on the podcast as it comes out.

The next instalment should cast light on his path from Cheeky Monkey’s by the sounds of it. It was interesting to learn in this first episode how his family got into his online activity.

I find it strange if he was due to check out the 3/6 and alarm was raised 6/6 how his money passport etc was untouched.

This leads me to believe:

1: He was sharing with someone else who was still checked in at the time and they either left their gear there to travel a few days elsewhere and then come back, or they simply didnt think anything of it or care he had not returned as thought he may be off a few days traveling around too.

2: He was sharing with several others and he left his passport and valuables in the safety deposit box at the front desk and because the room had other guests his clothing/bags was untouched and unnoticed fr days as each guest thought was someone elses and didn't really have a reason or concern over it

He wasn't carrying his passport on him which is recommended when staying in a hostel or locking it up in a safe if possible so if he left his cash, passport etc in a room he was staying that leads me to believe he was likely in his own room.

Or he left it in safety deposit box however that doesn't then account for his other belongings not being detected prior and found in his room on the 6th after his mum and cousin raised the alarm.

Upon checking out the room would need to be serviced so makes no sense how in this case his bed and room could remain untouched for 3 days until the alarm was raised when they likely had someone else booked in.

If his belongings were moved to lost property then most likely we would heard this, that staff found his belongings and moved them to lost or unclaimed area etc, but we didnt. S tells me untouched means untouched, nobody went into his room in those days after he was meant to check out.

https://www.lastminute.com.au/Byron-Bay-Hotels-Wake-Up-Byron-Bay.h4881214.Hotel-Information

Hostel Amenities
  • Safe-deposit box at front desk

Only once I read he had his own room. Therefore I though it was strange that when serviced the person in charged, who has a list with dates of arrival and departure, didn't mention the presence of his belongings to the Check Out and to the Resevation services. I don't think either he would have left his passport and money on the table next to his backpack. He must have placed them in the safe and his backpack in the locker. So maybe the room seemed vacant. Or as Mussopossum writes he had a bed in a dorm. I'll try to have a reply to this question.

Only once I read he had his own room. Therefore I though it was strange that when serviced the person in charged, who has a list with dates of arrival and departure, didn't mention the presence of his belongings to the Check Out and to the Resevation services. I don't think either he would have left his passport and money on the table next to his backpack. He must have placed them in the safe and his backpack in the locker. So maybe the room seemed vacant. Or as Mussopossum writes he had a bed in a dorm. I'll try to have a reply to this question.

Prices start from $129 for 3 nights in a 12 bed dorm, to $570 for a double with ensuite. If he had his own room it’d be a double or double with the ensuite at a cost of $480 to $570 for the 3 nights.
I’d be surprised he’d be in position to pay for his own room, but it has to date sounded like he did that. May and June would be busy you’d think and his room would be booked out. Maybe not but still, how does it go undetected for so long. No one, from what I’ve read, seems bothered by this so it must have checked out ok.
Wake Up! Byron Bay

Prices start from $129 for 3 nights in a 12 bed dorm, to $570 for a double with ensuite. If he had his own room it’d be a double or double with the ensuite at a cost of $480 to $570 for the 3 nights.
I’d be surprised he’d be in position to pay for his own room, but it has to date sounded like he did that. May and June would be busy you’d think and his room would be booked out. Maybe not but still, how does it go undetected for so long. No one, from what I’ve read, seems bothered by this so it must have checked out ok.
Wake Up! Byron Bay

My guess is that if he did share a room with others, maybe his bag was on the floor somewhere and the bed didnt have anything on it to suggest someone was sleeping in it. He didn't return, nobody noticed it went on for days until his cousin raised the alarm.

If this was the case though surely others in that room would have met him and known when he was leaving and questioned where he was after couple days?

If he was in his own room they would have had to have found his belongings when due to check out and moved them.

My guess is he likely had his passport etc in the safety deposit box however did he have his wallet with him that night or just his credit / bankcard? would you take the effort to locking up your wallet at the front desk too or leave in your room?

I too think it is pretty bad that Wake up did not report sooner but I also ask the question about others who were with him that night from the hostel and especially the guy he went to the BBQ with.

Surely he would have noticed he didnt come back days later or had he already checked out

The new cctv images don't seem to fit Theo's description (dark trousers), however, could they fit his friends description? His friend with whom he went to buy the drinks at the store?
2048x1152.jpg

My guess is that if he did share a room with others, maybe his bag was on the floor somewhere and the bed didnt have anything on it to suggest someone was sleeping in it. He didn't return, nobody noticed it went on for days until his cousin raised the alarm.

If this was the case though surely others in that room would have met him and known when he was leaving and questioned where he was after couple days?

If he was in his own room they would have had to have found his belongings when due to check out and moved them.

My guess is he likely had his passport etc in the safety deposit box however did he have his wallet with him that night or just his credit / bankcard? would you take the effort to locking up your wallet at the front desk too or leave in your room?

I too think it is pretty bad that Wake up did not report sooner but I also ask the question about others who were with him that night from the hostel and especially the guy he went to the BBQ with.

Surely he would have noticed he didnt come back days later or had he already checked out

The friend Antoine met Theo on the same day that they went to CMs together. Antoine then left Byron the next day and didn’t realise Theo was missing until Theo’s cousin Lisa contacted him.

As mentioned in the podcast, backpackers cone and go quite rapidly so it’s hard to track them.

The friend Antoine met Theo on the same day that they went to CMs together. Antoine then left Byron the next day and didn’t realise Theo was missing until Theo’s cousin Lisa contacted him.

As mentioned in the podcast, backpackers cone and go quite rapidly so it’s hard to track them.

But Antione did message Theo at 11 the next morning with no reply....

I guess they didn’t know each other long enough for Antione to know that Theo not replying may been out of character and for him to feel something was not right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Can't Touch Tish