Australia Australia - Theo Hayez, 18, Belgian backpacker, Byron Bay, June 2019 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
But Antione did message Theo at 11 the next morning with no reply....

I guess they didn’t know each other long enough for Antione to know that Theo not replying may been out of character and for him to feel something was not right.

Good spot you are right does look more like him

But Antione did message Theo at 11 the next morning with no reply....

I guess they didn’t know each other long enough for Antione to know that Theo not replying may been out of character and for him to feel something was not right.

According to the podcast Antoine had only known Theo very briefly, and bonded over their Brussels connection. Antoine left CMS with a female friend unaware that Theo had left earlier. He sent Theo a text when he departed the next day, and then just went on his way. He only became aware that something was amiss when Theo’s cousin Lisa logged into Theo’s Facebook page, noticed that Antoine had been added very recently as a new friend and she messaged him to see if he knew anything.

Are you answering to yourself?

Oops,

No I was replying to someone who mentioned that the Aloha footage looked like his friend he was with early in the night who was on CCTV at the bottle shop with Theo as same colored clothing in CCTV. Quoted myself instead.

The Aloha footage being so unclear still leaves the possibility it may have been Theo. Now Theo was said to have recently bought a new phone, the Oppo. Ok the Oppo phone trail was not going that way past Aloha and the person in the Aloha footage appears to have a phone. If it was Theo it would not then be his Oppo phone which was tracked going in another direction. Possibility is he had his old phone with him? In the footage of him at the Bottle O both his pockets look full with squarish outline, maybe wallet and phone or maybe he had his old phone also, 2 phones? Does anyone know what became of Theo's old phone before the Oppo? Did he still have it, was it found in his room? The footage is so unclear, pants color does look dark but at one point where light changes pants do look beige, the head area looks not right, not like Theo with a hat on but so hard to see. One point I wish to make that with so much publicity about Theo's disappearance why has no one come forward and said "Hey that was me walking near Aloha" not Theo. Ok chances are the person is unaware of being on this footage? Perhaps more publicity needs be given to this Aloha footage so whoever was walking there at that time might possibly come forward. Then on the chance the person in the footage comes forward then can rule out this being Theo 100 %. The inconsistency is that his Oppo phone trail going towards the Lighthouse area and also the messages he sent later don't add up with the Aloha route but who knows may be an explanation for this too. So much weird in all of this, nothing is adding up and makes more sense that Theo would be heading home then walking through scrub at night. If it was Theo in the Aloha footage it sure changes everything.

The Aloha footage being so unclear still leaves the possibility it may have been Theo. Now Theo was said to have recently bought a new phone, the Oppo. Ok the Oppo phone trail was not going that way past Aloha and the person in the Aloha footage appears to have a phone. If it was Theo it would not then be his Oppo phone which was tracked going in another direction. Possibility is he had his old phone with him? In the footage of him at the Bottle O both his pockets look full with squarish outline, maybe wallet and phone or maybe he had his old phone also, 2 phones? Does anyone know what became of Theo's old phone before the Oppo? Did he still have it, was it found in his room? The footage is so unclear, pants color does look dark but at one point where light changes pants do look beige, the head area looks not right, not like Theo with a hat on but so hard to see. One point I wish to make that with so much publicity about Theo's disappearance why has no one come forward and said "Hey that was me walking near Aloha" not Theo. Ok chances are the person is unaware of being on this footage? Perhaps more publicity needs be given to this Aloha footage so whoever was walking there at that time might possibly come forward. Then on the chance the person in the footage comes forward then can rule out this being Theo 100 %. The inconsistency is that his Oppo phone trail going towards the Lighthouse area and also the messages he sent later don't add up with the Aloha route but who knows may be an explanation for this too. So much weird in all of this, nothing is adding up and makes more sense that Theo would be heading home then walking through scrub at night. If it was Theo in the Aloha footage it sure changes everything.
That is such a good point! What happened to his old phone? Did he lose it, so had to replace it? Or did he still have it? Makes no sense to buy another phone if the other is still ok? Wonder if it was lost or possibly stolen? IMO

Trouble with people coming forward after so long, is they perhaps could have been backpackers as well and long gone..
I agree though, there could be more publicity put forth...

Totally convinced someone knows something. No-one unfamiliar with that scrub goes in there alone MOO..

Sometimes young people just like to upgrade phones, old phone may still have been ok and maybe had a new sim, new number so carried his old one as well? Would be good to find out if old phone was still in his possession and if so was it on him or left at Wake Up. I have a feeling that someone else had the Oppo phone and walked it away through the scrub. The hat could have been washed and planted there later along same route. Someone mentioned the hat was scrunched up under a log, that doesn't sound like the hat fell off if this is correct. So he parts with his phone and his hat too. Very odd for a young fellow to part with his hat on a cold night. Yes was dark but even it fell would not be hard to feel around for it. How did it get under a log scrunched up? Could rain have washed it there? Not sure if there was heavy the rain was before it was found, rain that would cause run off but yes if there was heavy rain possibly got washed there. If not then it was placed there as hats don't randomly get under a log scrunched up if they fall off one's head. All points that Theo was with someone that night, and no one coming forward indicates foul play . Say something happened while Theo is in town. Well most people know phones are tracking devices, so they walk the phone right away, taking scrub route to lessen chances of being seen. Later his hat gets taken there to support the theory he did go this way. The messages that Theo sent over an hour later is it possible somehow the messages did not send straight away, were delayed? Network congestion can cause delays and (copied and pasted the following info) >>>the location of the sender or recipient can create a delay in text message delivery. What causes this varies from handset to handset, but common reasons are being on the border of two cell coverage areas or travelling at speeds above about 50km/h. This is most likely happening if messages arrive all at once. If a mobile device is located outside a network's coverage area or in a spot where the network signal is blocked such as in a mountainous region, a delay in transmission may occur. In urban areas, tall buildings can also cause transmission issues. Being in an old building with poor cell reception is another possible culprit.<<,< . So say he was in a building, typed the text hit send but it did not send until later, when phone reached reception. A possibility. Our house here does not get reception so when I text message will not send until I take phone outside. It should also be noted that the arrival of delivery receipts (DLRs) are not always a good measure of when the SMS was delivered. So IF Theo's text was delayed this also changes a lot. That hour or so after he left Cheeky's may not have been an hour. If he texted as soon as he left and messages were delayed in sending, that would mean something may have happened to him sooner. Not sure if the police can pinpoint the exact time he typed the text or only have the delivery time to go on. The direction Theo was heading, well the only interest can see there is the camp at end of Tennyson St somewhere which is said to be used not just by the homeless but other back packers. So perhaps he was meeting someone there, something happened there, his phone then went the scrub route but we do not know 100% if Theo did, all we have is his phone data route, text message which may have been delayed, and a hat with inconclusive findings found later scrunched under a log. I feel this was done to throw everyone off, and if mobile data track which was published and leads to Cosy Corner then this is an area known for a strong rip, it is talked about on the Surfing Pages to keep clear of the rock area. A very likely spot for someone with local knowledge to make it look like a drowning, by taking the phone to this spot, knowing it will be tracked to there and hoping investigations conclude a likely accident, drowning. It looks this way to me, taking all factors into consideration, Theo was a planner not a random risk taker, was very unlikely to be out on his own on a desolate beach climbing rocks or swimming on a cold night. It looks like he was heading to this camp, if he was going to walk off alone to Cosy Corner then why not go straight there? Why head towards this camp? The only likely interest that can be seen in this area. Police did ask for any dashcam footage from Tennyson St. so we know this street is definitely of interest and nothing there except the camp in the scrub at the end of it. The way he was walking he seemed to know where he was heading. He was not lost.

Sometimes young people just like to upgrade phones, old phone may still have been ok and maybe had a new sim, new number so carried his old one as well? Would be good to find out if old phone was still in his possession and if so was it on him or left at Wake Up. I have a feeling that someone else had the Oppo phone and walked it away through the scrub. The hat could have been washed and planted there later along same route. Someone mentioned the hat was scrunched up under a log, that doesn't sound like the hat fell off if this is correct. So he parts with his phone and his hat too. Very odd for a young fellow to part with his hat on a cold night. Yes was dark but even it fell would not be hard to feel around for it. How did it get under a log scrunched up? Could rain have washed it there? Not sure if there was heavy the rain was before it was found, rain that would cause run off but yes if there was heavy rain possibly got washed there. If not then it was placed there as hats don't randomly get under a log scrunched up if they fall off one's head. All points that Theo was with someone that night, and no one coming forward indicates foul play . Say something happened while Theo is in town. Well most people know phones are tracking devices, so they walk the phone right away, taking scrub route to lessen chances of being seen. Later his hat gets taken there to support the theory he did go this way. The messages that Theo sent over an hour later is it possible somehow the messages did not send straight away, were delayed? Network congestion can cause delays and (copied and pasted the following info) >>>the location of the sender or recipient can create a delay in text message delivery. What causes this varies from handset to handset, but common reasons are being on the border of two cell coverage areas or travelling at speeds above about 50km/h. This is most likely happening if messages arrive all at once. If a mobile device is located outside a network's coverage area or in a spot where the network signal is blocked such as in a mountainous region, a delay in transmission may occur. In urban areas, tall buildings can also cause transmission issues. Being in an old building with poor cell reception is another possible culprit.<<,< . So say he was in a building, typed the text hit send but it did not send until later, when phone reached reception. A possibility. Our house here does not get reception so when I text message will not send until I take phone outside. It should also be noted that the arrival of delivery receipts (DLRs) are not always a good measure of when the SMS was delivered. So IF Theo's text was delayed this also changes a lot. That hour or so after he left Cheeky's may not have been an hour. If he texted as soon as he left and messages were delayed in sending, that would mean something may have happened to him sooner. Not sure if the police can pinpoint the exact time he typed the text or only have the delivery time to go on. The direction Theo was heading, well the only interest can see there is the camp at end of Tennyson St somewhere which is said to be used not just by the homeless but other back packers. So perhaps he was meeting someone there, something happened there, his phone then went the scrub route but we do not know 100% if Theo did, all we have is his phone data route, text message which may have been delayed, and a hat with inconclusive findings found later scrunched under a log. I feel this was done to throw everyone off, and if mobile data track which was published and leads to Cosy Corner then this is an area known for a strong rip, it is talked about on the Surfing Pages to keep clear of the rock area. A very likely spot for someone with local knowledge to make it look like a drowning, by taking the phone to this spot, knowing it will be tracked to there and hoping investigations conclude a likely accident, drowning. It looks this way to me, taking all factors into consideration, Theo was a planner not a random risk taker, was very unlikely to be out on his own on a desolate beach climbing rocks or swimming on a cold night. It looks like he was heading to this camp, if he was going to walk off alone to Cosy Corner then why not go straight there? Why head towards this camp? The only likely interest that can be seen in this area. Police did ask for any dashcam footage from Tennyson St. so we know this street is definitely of interest and nothing there except the camp in the scrub at the end of it. The way he was walking he seemed to know where he was heading. He was not lost.
Agree with your line of thinking and points.
If he met someone willingly, it’d be someone he had already met which means at Wake Up or Cheeky Monkeys.
Otherwise it’s a random encounter whilst walking alone.
His phone and cap may have been taken off him and carried to the beach. Theo may have never even gone to the beach.

Just to add to that, I agree with Tennyson Street being potentially significant. That phone tracking trek we’ve all seen shows a journey up Tennyson Street, then across the oval and up side streets to the beach. It’s an intriguing route if true and one already discussed here. It alludes to being accompanied by someone familiar with the area. Another scenario is that he parted with his phone (even his cap) in Tennyson Street, and didn’t go to the beach at all. Could it even have been a robbery that went wrong?
His phone and cap could’ve well been planted the next afternoon, causing the phone to ping when being moved.
I just can’t see someone consistently described as careful, structured and a forward planner climbing rocks, cliff faces or entering scrub in the dark. If he went to the beach voluntarily by cleared public paths it seems true to his character to leave the same way.
I also don’t reckon he entered the water due to him being cautious by nature, and also due to his phone still working the next afternoon. He seems to have been separated from his phone and cap (the two things I bet he’d regard as most valued) and this should have a lot of meaning.
Lastly, I wonder if the police aren’t revealing their cap results due to needing something about it kept quiet. Was the test inconclusive, or was there other DNA on it which they’ll use if and when a suspect turns up? If the cap wasn’t Theo’s it’d be pretty easy to just advise the public and put it to rest don’t you think? Knowing for sure would ease the family’s mind a little anyway, so no statement by the police is curious.

What camp at Tennyson street do you mean? A surf camp? Or the scouting camp?

That is such a good point! What happened to his old phone? Did he lose it, so had to replace it? Or did he still have it? Makes no sense to buy another phone if the other is still ok? Wonder if it was lost or possibly stolen? IMO

Trouble with people coming forward after so long, is they perhaps could have been backpackers as well and long gone..
I agree though, there could be more publicity put forth...

Totally convinced someone knows something. No-one unfamiliar with that scrub goes in there alone MOO..

"Totally convinced someone knows something. No-one unfamiliar with that scrub goes in there alone"

Unless the person is not of a controlled state of mind.
IE, Their drink was spiked.

Theo seemed sensible, I am only basing this off discussions on the LFTH page but also unverified comments by locals involved in the search who worked closely with his family so this is MOO.

We have had several conversations here as to if he may have taken drugs and was not in the right frame of mind at the time, this, unfortunately, we probably will never know.

If he was anti-drugs then was his drink spiked? If so did this person then follow Theo until the time was right to make their move.

Or did this person follow Theo down the street, catching up with him walking and they decided to go to the beach area together as nothing other than something to do, but this person had bad intentions?

I can't imagine him walking through that thick bush at night on his own UNLESS

Byron Bay local Noeline Smith says missing backpacker Theo Hayez may have been spiked | Daily Mail Online

Interesting article! I know it’s the daily mail so not the greatest but interesting nonetheless.

So Noeline thinks Theo’s drink might have been spiked, which would account for him being kicked out after only 2 drinks. Also i looked at the footage of Theo walking down Kingsley st and honestly his walk is a bit weird. I don’t know how Theo walked but his walking gate just seems a bit ‘off’, and when he looks at his phone he starts to go all over the place. I mean he could just be totally engrossed in the message, or he could be just naturally clumsy but watch the footage again and just his movements seem like the beginning of a inebriated walk! But just on the two drinks? He wasn’t a drug taker by account so it does pose some interesting questions and interpretations.

Also Noeline mentions searching around the Byron bay youth centre, if you look on the maps that is the building just through the scrub at the end of Tennyson st. If the GPS map is correct then Theo walks to the end of Tennyson right to the start of the scrub/bushes. When I was in Byron one of the volunteers told me that there are hundreds of camps in that scrub area at the end of Tennyson....could he have met someone there? Could he have been on a downward spiral of a drink spiking and wandered into someone’s camp by mistake?

Byron Bay local Noeline Smith says missing backpacker Theo Hayez may have been spiked | Daily Mail Online

Interesting article! I know it’s the daily mail so not the greatest but interesting nonetheless.

So Noeline thinks Theo’s drink might have been spiked, which would account for him being kicked out after only 2 drinks. Also i looked at the footage of Theo walking down Kingsley st and honestly his walk is a bit weird. I don’t know how Theo walked but his walking gate just seems a bit ‘off’, and when he looks at his phone he starts to go all over the place. I mean he could just be totally engrossed in the message, or he could be just naturally clumsy but watch the footage again and just his movements seem like the beginning of a inebriated walk! But just on the two drinks? He wasn’t a drug taker by account so it does pose some interesting questions and interpretations.

Also Noeline mentions searching around the Byron bay youth centre, if you look on the maps that is the building just through the scrub at the end of Tennyson st. If the GPS map is correct then Theo walks to the end of Tennyson right to the start of the scrub/bushes. When I was in Byron one of the volunteers told me that there are hundreds of camps in that scrub area at the end of Tennyson....could he have met someone there? Could he have been on a downward spiral of a drink spiking and wandered into someone’s camp by mistake?

All quite possible. I reckon his journey to Tennyson Street (at least) was deliberate, given the cctv footage outside CMs. Remember too that the guys bought a cask earlier at the Great Northern bottle shop, which was consumed at Wake Up.
Hypothetically, if his drink was spiked at the bar, the person who did it would need to be there too. They may have left first and kept in touch. More likely though, if you’re spiking a drink you’d stay nearby to watch & catch the fallout. Wonder if anyone was caught on cctv following him after he left.

All quite possible. I reckon his journey to Tennyson Street (at least) was deliberate, given the cctv footage outside CMs. Remember too that the guys bought a cask earlier at the Great Northern bottle shop, which was consumed at Wake Up.
Hypothetically, if his drink was spiked at the bar, the person who did it would need to be there too. They may have left first and kept in touch. More likely though, if you’re spiking a drink you’d stay nearby to watch & catch the fallout. Wonder if anyone was caught on cctv following him after he left.

The issue is the lack of CCTV footage as we know.

If you walk through Byron all over the place and especially the places we saw on the map released in MSM there is not a single CCTV camera I saw in sight.

I totally agree, if his drink was spiked the person(s) would have likely followed at a distance until they could go undetected to make any intended move.

The question is, why?

The issue is the lack of CCTV footage as we know.

If you walk through Byron all over the place and especially the places we saw on the map released in MSM there is not a single CCTV camera I saw in sight.

I totally agree, if his drink was spiked the person(s) would have likely followed at a distance until they could go undetected to make any intended move.

The question is, why?

I meant the cctv footage outside of CMs after Theo left (or even before). Who else left the bar in that direction?

Why is anyone’s drink spiked?

I’m not quite sold on drink spiking happening at CMs mainly because whilst he may appear a little wonky on the footpath, if he’d been slipped a rohypnol or the like, it wouldn’t take long for him to drop. Unless he was kicked out before finishing his beer, however I tend to think the effects would be more obvious.
He possibly would’ve had a fair bit of the cask they bought, and already been pretty primed arriving at the bar. I reckon he was tipsy, energetic and just mucking around and got the boot. I also wonder if he then wanted food and was planning on heading up Middleton to the pizza joint or whatever, but got sidetracked by something or someone else and went up Tennyson instead. Very early on the police were after dashcam from Middleton too. Any drink spiking may have happened after the bar.
I just reckon his part in this was really simple ie leave the bar and head for the beach or food before heading home.

Just watched the second podcast The Lighthouse. This throws the theory Theo wasn't with his phone up in the air. At 12.05 pm the phone was at Cosy Corner. Then message in French at 12.20 and watched a YouTube video at 12.23 pm. And checking maps to get to Wake Up. So if he was with someone local why not just ask for directions at least while he felt safe? Why look at maps? The most interesting revelation is again at Tennyson he went to end , walked which shows as a blue line on the his google map route, but from the sports field to Cosy Corner shows a red line meaning he was running. Ok WHY was he running? In a hurry and with someone else running with him to meet someone else perhaps at another camp near Tallows ? Or was he running from someone? This could explain him going off the track though still strange to head into bush if being chased or followed, would think though that he would head to the first house with lights on and ask for help, not the scrub. So why was he running? Just feeling cold and warming up ? But why run towards Cosy? Also first phone activity after leaving Cheeky's was at 12.20 am after he reached Cosy at 12.05. So for some reason mapping stops at Cosy, and being at the end of beach makes sense that he sat there and sent the text, watched a video so did not feel in danger he was texting and watching YouTube so must have been sitting there. So he was looking at maps to Wake Up so if he had local company who knew their way around he would not need be looking at maps right? Just ask the local. So whoever he may have gone with was more likely another traveller, back packer. Someone who did not know route to Wake Up. Why look for route to Wake Up while heading in opposite direction? Planning ahead for later after his mission whatever it was at Cosy? Also Would he sit at Cosy in the dark watching YouTube while alone? Kind of weird and unlikely and only the one vid so he was, more likely showing something funny or interesting to whoever he may have been with. If he was being followed surely he would not go in that direction then sit and relax? The bush route.... so far been thinking someone with local knowledge though not impossible that it was random and not a local with him. With company maybe both felt braver and adventurous and they decided to cut through the bush for whatever reason? Thinking it will be shorter? They could hear the ocean close? Just head to it through the scrub, yes very possible and maybe not with a local after all as if Theo was with a local he would be unlikely to be checking maps, would just ask? Unless a local who had a camp there somewhere and Theo knew he would be returning back on his own? Still makes no sense as to why even go to Cosy in the first place. Perhaps a camp was there at that time belonging to whoever he went with. Maybe seeing if any beach parties were going on? Ok question is if something bad happened there well there is no trace of him. So have to leave it to the imagination, in the water or 4 wheel drive beach access, it was low tide around the same time his phone activity stopped, and interestingly next day the final ping it was low tide as well. Someone mentioned if phone is moved it can cause it to ping. I wonder if the low tide ties in somehow.

Just watched the second podcast The Lighthouse. ... his phone activity stopped, and interestingly next day the final ping it was low tide as well. Someone mentioned if phone is moved it can cause it to ping. I wonder if the low tide ties in somehow.

I don't understand your last phrase. What do you mean by "ties" ? Many thanks

Espirtu I mean I wonder if being low tide is significant as Theo went missing around low tide and next day the phone ping happened at low tide also. May be just coincidental but maybe not. If phone pinged due to being picked up by someone then they were there at low tide. And Theo vanished at previous low tide. Far shot but looking at everything. Low tide would be ideal for driving on the beach, so wonder if there is a vehicle involved, possibly a third person? Someone could have drove there to Cosy at night, a friend of whoever Theo may have been with and Theo vanishes. Next day phone pings at low tide again, possibly because it was picked up or moved? And no phone is found either. It is strange that Theo was parted from his phone. I think if Theo was there with the dogs and tremendous search efforts they would have found him if he had an accident and was deceased. Is possible if there was a scuffle Theo dropped his phone and whoever he was with remembered next day, and went to retrieve it again at low tide, when beach could be driven on. I know probably over thinking but it does stick out that both last activities, and final ping of phone were at low tides. I believe there is 4 wheel drive access to this beach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PRJ