GUILTY WI - Alexander Woodworth, 24, stabbed 16 times by Ezra McCandless, Eau Claire, Mar 2018

I don't think he was being 100% truthful but it is possible he also didn't know the reality. It is also possible Ezra lied about that - she had no problem throwing her dad under the bus once she heard him testify that she was crazy.

It isn't up to them though, it is up to Ezra and she really wanted everyone to believe it was self defense which takes a trial.
I missed the testimony of her father. Must check that out--I saw a clip of her watching him testify and she had tears in her eyes.
I didn't know that he was critical of her....

Who called the police when they were still at the apt/house before they took a drive out into "nature" (pre stabbing)?

I hope that Court TV will carry EM's sentencing hearings. I would find it interesting to see if her friends and family support her. In the trial it seemed that her friends could be more accurately described as "former friends".

I always wondered was any of her family in the court during the trial? I saw one couple that maybe and a woman with long black hair that I wondered about. Just curious.

I'm watching Court TV now and have just gotten to the end of Jason's sparring with the defense lady. I found him to be so obnoxious when it came to answering questions from anyone! He just loves the sound of his own voice, doesn't he? I'd love to know his IQ scores because he seems challenged when it comes to Yes or No or understanding the big picture. I could understand if he had a good reason for elaborating or if his ever-so-slight distinctions were meaningful and helpful, but they weren't--they were obnoxious, pointless and distracting.

I'm watching Court TV now and have just gotten to the end of Jason's sparring with the defense lady. I found him to be so obnoxious when it came to answering questions from anyone! He just loves the sound of his own voice, doesn't he? I'd love to know his IQ scores because he seems challenged when it comes to Yes or No or understanding the big picture. I could understand if he had a good reason for elaborating or if his ever-so-slight distinctions were meaningful and helpful, but they weren't--they were obnoxious, pointless and distracting.
I originally throught it was just nervousness and how he was coached to respond (he offered some info the state may not have been able to ask abut directly) but his saying he still loves her stuck with me as so at odds with his behavior arund the time of the murders and becoming a state witness and I must have missed any info about his alibi. So, I'm left with this feeling about him that doesn't sit right. If I didn't know anything about him or Ezra or the murder and just watched his testimony, I might think his babbling after certain questions was a sign of untruthfulness.

I originally throught it was just nervousness and how he was coached to respond (he offered some info the state may not have been able to ask abut directly) but his saying he still loves her stuck with me as so at odds with his behavior arund the time of the murders and becoming a state witness and I must have missed any info about his alibi. So, I'm left with this feeling about him that doesn't sit right. If I didn't know anything about him or Ezra or the murder and just watched his testimony, I might think his babbling after certain questions was a sign of untruthfulness.

He also shared with us that he is sensitive or a empath or something of the sort. That’s when he lost me.

Because Ezra sent them on a wild goose chase. She said that the incident had happened at a park on the other side of town. Giving her the benefit of doubt, they searched the park first. When nothing was found and Alex was still missing, they went back to search the area around Sepple's house, where they first encountered her. That's when the found Alex's body inside her stuck car.
I never thought anyone could be dumber than Chris Watts, but I think we have a winner! :oops:

Okay, yes, she's young, so perhaps that bumps her back to 2nd place. But she's still #1 in the female category!

If you want a snowball's chance in hell for the police/jury to believe you in a he said/she said situation, DO NOT LIE to them. Furthermore, some lies are more damning than others! Location of the crime is a biggie! Why would you want to destroy key evidence that could exonerate you at a crime scene (via the elements, etc) if you're innocent? Wouldn't you want to tell police that your attacker is back at the scene so he can be arrested--or buried? She followed the wrong playbook--The I'm Obviously Guilty playbook.

I'm convinced that the reason AW was left in that awkward position was because he got wedged down there as she tried to remove him. She's not exact a fitness buff and all that dead weight and blood would be hard to deal with. So a). Her car was stuck and b) Her guy was stuck. What a mess! And she knew that the tow truck guy was gonna have a problem with that no matter how cute and "interesting" she was.

Last edited:
Who is the guy who can help Alex and what does he need help with?

I would love to have an explanation on what that means.
Maybe Jason was good at talking EM off ledges when she got all riled up. After all, it would be hard to not be swayed and comforted by his good looks, trim physique, leadership qualities and authoritative tone. :rolleyes: Maybe EM was getting upset and they both heard Jason's ringtone and realized he was there. At this point, Alex urged her to let Jason help her. Or perhaps he was referencing the new therapist that had inspired her journals and "taking back her voice." Or maybe her father had offered some financial support that she was reluctant to take. Or perhaps that pep talk from her Dad made Alex think that she should seek more advice from him. Wish we knew!

UPDATE Just read this was Ezras voice?! If so, NVM!

Last edited:
Maybe Jason was good at talking EM off ledges when she got all riled up. After all, it would be hard to not be swayed and comforted by his good looks, trim physique, leadership qualities and authoritative tone. :rolleyes: Maybe EM was getting upset and they both heard Jason's ringtone and realized he was there. At this point, Alex urged her to let Jason help her. Or perhaps he was referencing the new therapist that had inspired her journals and "taking back her voice." Or maybe her father had offered some financial support that she was reluctant to take. Or perhaps that pep talk from her Dad made Alex think that she should seek more advice from him. Wish we knew!

According to Jason’s testimony. Ezra was telling Alex to let Jason help him.

I'm wondering why she didn't go to college and what she was like in high school. Did she have any close friends? Or any friends, period? Was she a good student? She seems like she would have fit right in as an undergraduate as a sensitive, intellectual, progressive, and thoughtful young lady (even if it was an act). Did she have career ambitions? It's terrifying that she had started being a teachers aide for special ed kids!

I'm wondering why she didn't go to college and what she was like in high school. Did she have any close friends? Or any friends, period? Was she a good student? She seems like she would have fit right in as an undergraduate as a sensitive, intellectual, progressive, and thoughtful young lady (even if it was an act). Did she have career ambitions? It's terrifying that she had started being a teachers aide for special ed kids!

From what I understand she was attending classes there up to a point which is how she ended up at Racy's and in the clique (Jason had testified that her living with him rent-free was a way for her to continue classes) but liberal arts is not really a good use of uni money IMO so really, she was heading nowhere. She did appear to have a good number of friends and acquaintances until that fateful pregnancy. That really spun her out of control.

Did she have any female friends, I wonder? Maybe in sentencing we will hear from them? Not sure how that works.

I was reflecting on several things after rewatching her verdict. She looked scared, then shocked, then defiant and pissed, then stunned, then about to pass out when the judge said be seated. Did anyone else see the look of anger, or was it just me?

It creeped me out when I saw extended footage after the verdict when her hands come together then come up to her mouth -- I thought of all the intimate bodily fluids that those hands have handled in an effort to manipulate men and the violent attack they carried out. They were stumpy, not refined and elegant, and this seems to fit her. She presented very well on the stand, but it was all an act.

I think the bathroom writings incident enraged her more than anything --or was the final straw-- in the same way that Jodi Arias was set off by the very mean (but deserved) final texts from TA where he called her a three hole wonder.

My opinion, but these women pride themselves on their beauty and sexuality and their ability to use it to manipulate men. When that prized asset is no longer worshipped--even more infuriating, when it's turned into a negative and they're called a *advertiser censored*, watch out! There's nothing worse you can say to them because their sexuality is all that they have. They feel annihilated so they fight back and do the same.

It was cruel and sadistic of Jason to text her that bathroom graffiti pic. She didn't need to know that. He probably framed it as something "helpful" but it's how he really saw her and he wanted to hurt her. He probably made her think Alex did it because Jason had been betrayed by Alex, so he knew why there was fire in her eyes that morning before visiting Alex. Jason is a pompous, stupid, manipulative, disgusting loser. Dating teens? Playing D & D? Rejecting EM after an abortion? Thinking he's the bomb despite all of the above? PATHETIC! Not that he was to blame, but still.

I think EM had gotten used to having all of her FEELINGS valued and validated unquestioningly in the hippy dippy, academic, progressive, feminist, self-actualization-oriented community of Eau Clair (I say this because I've been a contented but at-times amused and exasperated member of similar university communities since third grade and through two M.A.s in the liberal arts). This environment, combined with her mental illness, made her think she could easily get away with murder.

She thought she'd create a missing persons scenario and leave AW behind, but the mud threw a big wrench into things (fantasy vs. reality, strike 1) . She thought that any previous psychological issues that her therapists didn't judge her over would explain any "fogginess" in memory (police don't believe that BS=strike 2). Then, she expected a jury made up of HER peers--women studies majors, nerdy coffee shop guys who would fawn over her, people like her therapists, her friends, etc. Nope=strike 3.

Real world culture shock hit her hard-- a place where common sense and reality reign and people have a major problem with things like knifing and slashing someone to death. No matter how pretty and demure you look, no matter how sensitive and thoughtful you seem, no matter how bright and artistic you are, no matter how much you were abused as a child or by men as you got older. None of that matters, especially when all of the evidence makes you look like a liar.

Last edited:
I think the bathroom writings incident enraged her more than anything --or was the final straw-- in the same way that Jodi Arias was set off by the very mean (but deserved) final texts from TA where he called her a three hole wonder.

My opinion, but these women pride themselves on their beauty and sexuality and their ability to use it to manipulate men. When that prized asset is no longer worshipped--even more infuriating, when it's turned into a negative and they're called a *advertiser censored*, watch out! There's nothing worse you can say to them because their sexuality is all that they have. They feel annihilated so they fight back and do the same.

rsbm

Your whole post was excellent, but this part is spot on I think! I also think she's the type who's gonna get knocked up by a prison guard at some point.

Did she have any female friends, I wonder? Maybe in sentencing we will hear from them? Not sure how that works..

Well, there was the former roommate, but unsure if she considered Ezra a friend. There was also mention of two girls that worked at Racy's that had turned nasty on her shortly before this all went down so she must have had some kind of female relationships, just none of them close. One girl who was friends with her in school prior to her moving to Eau Claire had also commented on social media. I think EM likely gravitated towards men and male relationships and wasn't trusting of women due to being bullied in school by mean girls, being man-upped by dad, and having a stressed relationship with her very young mom IMO.

Sentencing is Feb 7.
Ezra McCandless found guilty of first degree intentional homicide

Truth is Stranger,

I think your analysis is spot on.

this young woman probably led an unfortunate life. Promiscuous, not surprising given her family life. I wonder what her body count is.

also, upon graduation from high school, what was she to do? Why, college of course! Everyone should go to college! But she was not college material. So what did she have to work with? Her charms. Would perhaps have been better if her high school counselor had steered her to be licensed vocational nurse or something like that.

given no rudder from family, school, or church, she was lost. Still no excuse to kill someone.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back