CO CO - Kelsey Berreth, 29, Woodland Park, Teller County, 22 Nov 2018 - *Arrest* #63

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ashley Franco
@AshleyKKTV

NEW: investigators in #KelseyBerreth case showed us pictures of floor board they ripped up from her condo floor allegedly where she was killed. They showed how in between the floor boards you can see what appears to be blood that seeped through the floor boards.
@KKTV11News

Ashley Franco
@AshleyKKTV

If you remember in opening statements the defense said there was no evidence that the crime happened in her condo. Today the investigator said they collected about a dozen pieces of floor board with what appeared to be blood in the sides.
@KKTV11News
#KelseyBerreth #PatrickFrazee

Ahemmmm.
Well, BAM!!!!!!

There's the evidence that didn't exist to er, some. There it is, with plenty more coming!

The way the prosecution is heading, I no longer think we’re going to hear from SF.

I don’t know where she fits in anymore.

Exactly -- asked and answered already:

Was there a metal pipe at your gate; was there a bonfire at the franch on 11/24; was KK at the franch on 11/24, was PF late for Thanksgiving dinner?

Yup.

ETA: questions DA wanted to ask SF at the preliminary hearing

Last edited:
Yeah, I always considered her testimony unreliable. I don't recall her being asked who had access to her vehicle between the last time she verified the bullet count and when she counted them after KK had used the car. For that matter, I don't recall what prompted her to count the bullets. It seems to me that if you are a responsible firearm owner, you know how many bullets are in your firearm and who has had access to that firearm at all times.

She seemed pretty casual about it all. Who else besides KK did she trust enough to give access to her vehicle with the firearm inside?

I don't think she's very reliable either. Good point about who else had access to her car.
From the AA....she saw an article about KB so she checked her gun. Now tell me THAT makes sense. *eyeroll*

Last edited by a moderator:
Sam Kraemer‏ @SamKraemerTV

RSBM

Sam Kraemer‏ @SamKraemerTV
A CBI crime scene analyst has also run us through the evidence she gathered from Berreth's townhome. She showed photos of tiny spots of blood, like on the chairs acting as a TV stand, fireplace and couch. @KOAA #KelseyBerreth #PatrickFrazee #KrystalKenney

The first that I have heard that the two chairs that blood spatter that KK missed were holding up the tv as a stand. Pointing towards that the blood must have come from below in a bludgeoning impact MOO when she was lower than the seat level of the chairs. I had thought that the chairs were in the kitchen. This shows that she wasn't still on the couch when this happened MOO, nor in a chair, she was on the floor and the spatter came from below.

FTLOG......

The first that I have heard that the two chairs that blood spatter that KK missed were holding up the tv as a stand. Pointing towards that the blood must have come from below in a bludgeoning impact MOO when she was lower than the seat level of the chairs. I had thought that the chairs were in the kitchen. This shows that she wasn't still on the couch when this happened MOO, nor in a chair, she was on the floor and the spatter came from below.

FTLOG......

There were 2 chairs in the kitchen for the table and 2 in the living room as a TV stand. KK testified that she had to clean all 4 legs of each chair off (the ones holding TV) because of them having blood on them.

KK also testified about PF being worried about dents/marks in the wood floor.

So yes, it sounds like KB ended up on the floor at some point.

Re: the hay bale stain.

I don't know if the entire stain is from bodily fluids. Wasn't there snow on the ground at the time of the murder? I thought there was and it was evidence that KB's car hadn't been moved. If so, the bottom of the tote could have been wet with both bodily fluids and contact with snow and the stain could be a mix of both.
Didn't the dog alert at the bottom of the hay bale stack first? That would seem to indicate that some liquid was spilled there first. Then they lifted up the dog in the front of the (tractor?) and he alerted way up at the top too. So, in my mind it could have happened as the tote was being placed up there, or afterwards when they brought it down. (or both for that matter).
But it seems the dog would not have sat down, or alerted, way down at the base of the hay bales if he only smelled it way up at the top. So your theory sure could be true. Also, I have had lots of plastic totes of varying thickness, and sooner or later they get cracks in them. Especially if they are sliding around in the back of the pickup, heavy with contents. Also it has to be a very expensive tote to have a real seal on the top, and those crack too with time.

FTLOG......
Tiny spots on those chairs -- more important the wipe marks and residue left on the TV screen where KK testified she cleaned up blood splatter. MOO

Maybe they will call SF to explain, where they were heading when PF was arrested.
What supplies/items were in their cars?
I think they were simply running errands. There hasn’t been any evidence that they were trying to flee or anything.

The case came together after KK cooperated, which was just prior to his arrest. Many arrests like this are initiated when the suspect is driving, as it is safer than doing it at a house.

I think they were simply running errands. There hasn’t been any evidence that they were trying to flee or anything.

The case came together after KK cooperated, which was just prior to his arrest. Many arrests like this are initiated when the suspect is driving, as it is safer than doing it at a house.

This was no OJ chase.

SF was moved and detained for her own protection, and PF was arrested without incident.

MOO

With all the blood that was in so many different and high places etc. in the bathroom, I would consider that indeed he did shower afterwards. And it was blood transfer from his body, and possible splashing during his shower that caused many of the areas that were processed.

I can think of one alternative but I just don't want to go there As to the blood and the bottom front scrape area on the toilet.... I just cannot make my mind go there that he actually moved the body there to wash off in the shower as I haven't seen that there are indications he moved the body from the lr/kitchen shared space to the downstairs bath before loading it into the tote.

So my mind just had to go that his pants brushed up against the toilet when he went to shower, which I think he may have done afterwards and changed clothes.

Still looking forward to the information in court as to how many grey t=shirts and jeans he had that were the same outfits. And awaiting his shoes to come back in as they have been mentioned 3 times iirc.

Perhaps he didn't put HIS clothes in tote just in case tote was found, it wouldn't point to him also?
AW said LE took 10 pairs of jeans and I believe
17 gray t shirts.

Didn't the dog alert at the bottom of the hay bale stack first? That would seem to indicate that some liquid was spilled there first. Then they lifted up the dog in the front of the (tractor?) and he alerted way up at the top too. So, in my mind it could have happened as the tote was being placed up there, or afterwards when they brought it down. (or both for that matter).
But it seems the dog would not have sat down, or alerted, way down at the base of the hay bales if he only smelled it way up at the top. So your theory sure could be true. Also, I have had lots of plastic totes of varying thickness, and sooner or later they get cracks in them. Especially if they are sliding around in the back of the pickup, heavy with contents. Also it has to be a very expensive tote to have a real seal on the top, and those crack too with time.

IIRC, didn't KK point out similar totes at the franch? It seems to me that PF would have taken an older tote, knowing that he was going to be disposing of it permanently. That would support the idea that the tote was cracked or prone to cracking, particularly if he struggled with it because it was fully loaded and heavy.

After all, this was a guy who apparently was too cheap to burn the clothes he was wearing when he killed KB.

<modsnip: quoted post was removed>

Is court done for the day? It’s only 1:56 over there so we have more to come, right?

The afternoon session began about an hour ago. Should be about 3 hours left.

I’m just hoping there’s a break in there, so we don’t have to wait until court adjourns for more info.

IIRC, didn't KK point out similar totes at the franch? It seems to me that PF would have taken an older tote, knowing that he was going to be disposing of it permanently. That would support the idea that the tote was cracked or prone to cracking, particularly if he struggled with it because it was fully loaded and heavy.

After all, this was a guy who apparently was too cheap to burn the clothes he was wearing when he killed KB.
And too stupid not to wear old clothes that he could have tossed out. MOO

WOW!!
"Joshua Hayes, Twin Falls PD officer, testified that he found charred cellphone parts in two burn areas on Lee’s property outside of Twin Falls, including a blackened circuit board, bits of broken glass and a cellphone screen protector"

1. KB's phone which she claims was burned 11/25/2018
2. Burner phone which she claims was burned 11/25/2018
3. Her own phone which she claims was burned when she returned from Reno on December 15, 2018

Two burn sites. Parts of two phones. What gives? JMO

Well I know from experience...with those mid size plastic garbage bins on wheels, if they are dropped on the (dirt) ground from the height of a pickup bed, and if they are filled with dog food, that's a great way to split them open. :( But, empty they just kind of bounce and don't crack. BTW, the only ones I know of that you can treat badly and still not have leaks are those large canister-like blue ones they ship olives in, with a separate well sealed top. All of the multipurpose totes I used in my pickup were not really sealed at the top. Yes, sealed from rain and weather, but not if the tote was tipped on its side.

Kenney's coworkers testify she wasn't acting like herself after Colorado trip

Posted: 8:08 AM, Nov 12, 2019

Updated: 12:25 PM, Nov 12, 2019

In the days after Berreth was first reported missing investigators did search her townhome but found no evidence of a crime. After her family found a bloodspot on a toilet and Krystal Kenney described what happened, a more thorough search was conducted in which they found tiny amounts of blood evidence and evidence of a clean up effort. When the floorboards were torn up there were signs of a dried reddish brown substance that tested positive for blood.

The prosecution presented these floorboards as evidence to show a blood stain pattern, plus evidence of possible blood from the barn on Nash Ranch where Kenney says Frazee temporarily stored a tote believed to contain Berreth's remains and later burned in a pit.

[...]

Robert Slagle, Patrick Frazee's “very, very good friend”, was called to the stand by the prosecution to discuss why he was seen on surveillance video at Berreth's townhome and about time spent driving around with Frazee after her disappearance.

[...]

Under cross examination by the defense, he says Frazee never said anything about a hit man or “no body no crime."

[Twin Falls] detective says he was specifically instructed to look for evidence of a burn pile containing a purse, documents, cell phone, and even a baseball bat. Kenney has testified she destroyed items in a fire on her property based on Frazee's instructions. The search team did find evidence of a burned phone and documents in two areas on the property. Kenney's husband, Chad Lee, consented to the searches and told investigators the items were found in areas where they do not normally burn trash.

[...]

When asked about Dec 21, Draper said he learned a gun was provided to Mark Pearson. The two met in a parking lot in Boise, so Draper could collect the gun. He said from there it was transfered to the Denver office and tested to determine the owner.

During Frazee's preliminary hearing in February 2019, CBI Agent Greg Slater said an ATF analysis revealed it belonged to Berreth.

[...]

Garrison, Kenney's friend from Idaho, said she got to know Kenney through their ex-husbands who worked together.

[...]

Kenney's friend testified that Kenney did not mention her relationship with Frazee in 2018 and that she told Garrison her trips to Colorado were just to check on their horses.

The two swapped vehicles on Thanksgiving night at a Walmart because Garrison needed to borrow Kenney's truck to move.

[...]

The defense also asked about a loaded gun Garrison kept under the driver seat to which Garrison responded that she keeps it for protection.

When asked by the prosecution, Garrison says there was no indication that the gun had been used.

[..]

Prosecutors called Delynn Bird, a former coworker of Kenney's from St. Luke's Magic Valley Hospital, said she was alerted by a charge nurse on Dec. 26 that Kenney was linked to Kelsey Berreth's disappearance and that she went to Colorado to be interviewed.

Bird said she saw Kenney that night and that she seemed quiet, flat and resigned.

[..]

Bird said Kenney switched shifts with another nurse at the hospital named Allison Wright on Nov. 24. Wright was called to the stand Tuesday morning after Bird and said Kenney told her she needed to do something in Colorado but didn't say what.

<modsnip>
I'm not exactly sure how MG could tell her gun hadn't been fired. Gunpowder residue, lead, etc isn't visible to the naked eye. Little confused on that statement.
MOO

Yep, nowhere did she state that it had been fired to LE or anyone.

My take on that was that she found something wrong, told LE, but of course, she cannot verify in court or tell if it had been fired. MOO, that would be up to LE forensics, and they may not even be able to CONFIRM it was fired in a court of law. MOO. She just stated about the different condition, and left next to LE for next steps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member