PA PA - Richard Petrone 35 & Danielle Imbo 34, Philadelphia, 19 Feb 2005 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Until they're found I don't see how you or anyone else can be satisfied that someone isn't involved.

230 Dodge Dakota trucks were stolen in 2001. The couple, along with the Dakota truck went missing just four years later. I'm wondering if the pair happened across a thieving-in-progress, or maybe across an armed-thief-in-waiting... waiting for the owner of the truck?

It's possible, but... Occam's....

230 Dodge Dakota trucks were stolen in 2001. The couple, along with the Dakota truck went missing just four years later. I'm wondering if the pair happened across a thieving-in-progress, or maybe across an armed-thief-in-waiting... waiting for the owner of the truck?

It's possible, but... Occam's....

Even if they killed the victims, carjackers rarely hide the bodies.

Even if they killed the victims, carjackers rarely hide the bodies.

Simply leaving the couple behind alive or murdered on-the-spot before taking the vehicle would have revealed the crime to authorities. After hijacking the vehicle and kidnapping the couple, I don't believe a 'jacker would murder them and simply dump them out in the open somewhere for all to see. The cj would hide their remains. All of that is possible... but not likely. Occam's.

We are not privy to why the FBI proceeded with an attempt (suggested a "murder-for-hire") to kick up dirt in this case. What was supposed to be a motive for the murder-for-hire? One might assume the 'estranged' husband might have motive but there is no proof. He has denied having any involvement in their disappearance... and no dirt was kicked up pointing in that direction (AFAWK).

Could the couple have disappeared on their own, to start a new life together? A remote possibility but not likely... it is assumed they would not leave their children and families.

I believe Imbo and Petrone made it back to the truck and drove away from the South Street area... and whatever occurred happened away from the last-known sighting. No one knows their direction of travel, the vehicle was not seen on bridge camera or other video recordings. We assume cameras were aimed to provide adequate coverage and video was available and video reviewers were on the ball.

It is possible the vehicle, along with its occupants, ended up in a body of water. There is a lot of water in the broader area: three rivers, impoundments and various creeks and ponds. Many of the smaller bodies of water are not deep but are muddied from sediment. But, we should not limit our thoughts to only local bodies of water since we do not know to where they might have driven. Poconos? Farther south?

Here's a thought: have all abandoned properties been checked? Garages, barns, sheds? Who knows which private properties have been abandoned since even before Imbo and Petrone went missing? Could the couple have ended up parked in an abandoned storage or garage structure for an old-fashioned 'make-out'? Since it was cold the couple would have kept the truck engine running for warmth... and a build-up of engine exhaust could have done in the couple. It's possible. I'd lean toward this possibility before accepting a murder-for-hire scenario....

As I've said, I have known of someone who shoots a victim, and takes his vehicle, rarely. Generally, the force the victim out at gunpoint and take the car. I have never heard of a car jacking where the subject was murdered and then the body was hidden.

The amount of abandoned, or semi abandoned, property is gigantic, though not as prevalent in South Philly as much of the rest of the town.

As I've said, I have known of someone who shoots a victim, and takes his vehicle, rarely. Generally, the force the victim out at gunpoint and take the car. I have never heard of a car jacking where the subject was murdered and then the body was hidden.

The amount of abandoned, or semi abandoned, property is gigantic, though not as prevalent in South Philly as much of the rest of the town.
I agree @J. J. in Phila Carjackers are after cars not people. Even if the victim was murdered defending themselves, the carjackers would take the car and leave the body. I am sure there are cases where carjackers took the body but that is very rare. It is my opinion this couple was not carjacked. I am not sure what I think happened though. The couple and the truck missing makes me lean towards water but not sure where that would happen without the truck being seen on cameras along the way. MOO IMHO

bbm
I agree @J. J. in Phila Carjackers are after cars not people. Even if the victim was murdered defending themselves, the carjackers would take the car and leave the body. I am sure there are cases where carjackers took the body but that is very rare. It is my opinion this couple was not carjacked. I am not sure what I think happened though. The couple and the truck missing makes me lean towards water but not sure where that would happen without the truck being seen on cameras along the way. MOO IMHO

There are plenty of bodies of water on the Pennsylvania side of the equation; there would be no need to cross a bridge/be caught on camera for them to arrive to a body of water.

Here's another thought: what about impound lots? Is it possible some vehicles go unnoticed for years and years? How many impound lots are there? How many junk yards are there, both commercial and private?

خرائط ‪Google‬‏‏

Has anyone done a map of the different routes they could have taken? It has been a long time since I have been in the area. Weren’t they suppose to be traveling to Danielle’s?

Has anyone done a map of the different routes they could have taken? It has been a long time since I have been in the area. Weren’t they suppose to be traveling to Danielle’s?
Here is a map from South Street area in Philly where they went missing to the address I found for Danielle in Mount Laurel, NJ. The main highways are the most likely way they would have traveled, but keep in mind there are lots of back ways through towns that would not follow the highways. They would at least have to cross one of the bridges from Philly to NJ, most likely Ben Franklin, but possibly the Walt Whitman.

Google Maps

I saw this post pop up recently and, even though I didn't follow there on WS, I'm local so I do remember the story.

Here is a map from South Street area in Philly where they went missing to the address I found for Danielle in Mount Laurel, NJ. The main highways are the most likely way they would have traveled, but keep in mind there are lots of back ways through towns that would not follow the highways. They would at least have to cross one of the bridges from Philly to NJ, most likely Ben Franklin, but possibly the Walt Whitman.

Google Maps

I saw this post pop up recently and, even though I didn't follow there on WS, I'm local so I do remember the story.

Thank you @zecats. I am originally from Havertown but this case was way before my WS time. I was recently at a party and someone brought up this case (it was not random, they caught me looking at WS on my phone and asked what I was doing). The person told me this case has bothered them because they could not imagine two people going missing without a trace. I looked here to see if there was ever a thread and was happy to find one.
I agree they probably would have taken highways. It was not a high traffic time. I do not see them driving off the road or bridge on any of the main highway routes into water without anyone noticing . But the first thing I think of when people and their vehicle are missing is a possible water accident. That does not make sense to me here. My other thought is someone wanted the people and the vehicle to go missing.
Is there anything you remember from the story?

Thank you @zecats. I am originally from Havertown but this case was way before my WS time. I was recently at a party and someone brought up this case (it was not random, they caught me looking at WS on my phone and asked what I was doing). The person told me this case has bothered them because they could not imagine two people going missing without a trace. I looked here to see if there was ever a thread and was happy to find one.
I agree they probably would have taken highways. It was not a high traffic time. I do not see them driving off the road or bridge on any of the main highway routes into water without anyone noticing . But the first thing I think of when people and their vehicle are missing is a possible water accident. That does not make sense to me here. My other thought is someone wanted the people and the vehicle to go missing.
Is there anything you remember from the story?
Gosh we’re talking almost 15 years ago. I remember being out one night that February myself with friends and seeing on the tv screen where we were the missing story. And following all the updates as they came out.
Let me give it some thought and try to refresh any more memory I have of it. It did affect me, that i know, as most of us here on WS get caught up in those kinds of things. Probably what leads us to join here.
I’ll post some more if I think of anything.

Last edited:
Where are Danielle Imbo and Richard Petrone!?

This most likely has been posted earlier, but it does present a good summary of what happened that night (and leading up to it - how Danielle ended up out with Richard that night) as well as possible theories for what happened.

I've heard the theories as well and lean toward either murder for hire, with someone who knew where they were going that night and had a reason for making them disappear. Another possibility is completely random -someone spotted them walking back to their truck and robbed them and stole the truck. Hard to figure why no one saw anything such as that.

Of course, I haven't found where their truck was parked and how long a walk back they had. Parking garages nearby as well as free parking south of South Street. Otherwise meter parking on South or streets north, east or west - which is taken very seriously, even the length of time you can park. These are all neighborhoods with some homes and businesses everywhere.

JMO

ETA Just read truck parked in neighborhood.

"They were heading for Richard’s 2001 black Dodge Dakota pickup truck, PA license plate # YFH-2319 parked in the neighborhood."

February 19, 2005

Where are Danielle Imbo and Richard Petrone!?

This most likely has been posted earlier, but it does present a good summary of what happened that night (and leading up to it - how Danielle ended up out with Richard that night) as well as possible theories for what happened.

I've heard the theories as well and lean toward either murder for hire, with someone who knew where they were going that night and had a reason for making them disappear. Another possibility is completely random -someone spotted them walking back to their truck and robbed them and stole the truck. Hard to figure why no one saw anything such as that.

Of course, I haven't found where their truck was parked and how long a walk back they had. Parking garages nearby as well as free parking south of South Street. Otherwise meter parking on South or streets north, east or west - which is taken very seriously, even the length of time you can park. These are all neighborhoods with some homes and businesses everywhere.

JMO

ETA Just read truck parked in neighborhood.

"They were heading for Richard’s 2001 black Dodge Dakota pickup truck, PA license plate # YFH-2319 parked in the neighborhood."

February 19, 2005

This is great! Thank you. I thought I had read they were out with friends but this states it was hit the two of them. It is scary to read what the police officer told the brother about it being too clean. 15 years ago is not too long but I guess there was not CCTV to see what direction or if they made it to the truck.

This is great! Thank you. I thought I had read they were out with friends but this states it was hit the two of them. It is scary to read what the police officer told the brother about it being too clean. 15 years ago is not too long but I guess there was not CCTV to see what direction or if they made it to the truck.
Probably no CCTV back then, especially if the neighborhood they parked in is south of South St, where it's pretty much residential. Parking is free there and also hard to find, so they may have had to park a few blocks away.

And, they still could have been with friends since he was from Philly and maybe he knew people at the bar where they were.

It's one of those cases that has stuck with me because it's so mysterious. If it was random, I really don't think it would be hard to hide bodies and change a truck to look differently. But IMO there's only a small percentage that was the case.

And the only reason I can come up with for murder for hire is to do with her ex-husband and their 1 year old child. He has never been connected though. Maybe Richard had a few skeletons in his closet. All IMO

A "too clean" disappearance could reference a professional hit job or simply a vehicle-in-water incident.

Occam's. I'm leaning toward a vehicle-in-the-water incident. If it wasn't that, then... a carjacking or murder-for-hire?

Carjacking. Possible. Leave behind the owner of the vehicle and his passenger then you risk being caught within the hour. Force them to go along and you have to dispose of them. What's a criminal to do?

Think about how much work would be involved in disappearing a truck and two adult humans. Could one perp perform such a feat? Two?

Consider one of the two adults was no slouch, as in, RP was used to working with his hands and back (baker, flour sacks, etc.) so we might assume some strength there. Now, if a firearm or other weapon was used, 'strength' becomes less important.

RP's truck was a 2001 Dodge Dakota quad-cab (4-door). That's one huge vehicle. It was a dark color... making it difficult at-best to see it if it were submerged. Most of the waterways, creeks and ponds in the broader area are murky.

There are *many* bodies of water throughout the general area, whether running or stagnant.

bbm
Probably no CCTV back then, especially if the neighborhood they parked in is south of South St, where it's pretty much residential. Parking is free there and also hard to find, so they may have had to park a few blocks away.

And, they still could have been with friends since he was from Philly and maybe he knew people at the bar where they were.

It's one of those cases that has stuck with me because it's so mysterious. If it was random, I really don't think it would be hard to hide bodies and change a truck to look differently. But IMO there's only a small percentage that was the case.

And the only reason I can come up with for murder for hire is to do with her ex-husband and their 1 year old child. He has never been connected though. Maybe Richard had a few skeletons in his closet. All IMO

I recall reading RT found a relatively-close-to-Abilene's parking space... I believe the vehicle was parked on South Street, not a side-street. I haven't yet located the write-up that noted that.

We used to frequent South Street back in the day, even long before DI and RP want missing. It's difficult to imagine anything could have gone down on South Street (especially around the location relative to this case) without someone witnessing it... there's (at least there were) rarely lulls in outside activity on South Street during typical out-and-about party-time hours. This is one reason why I believe nothing happened to the couple on South Street. I believe they boarded the vehicle and drove away.

bbm

I recall reading RT found a relatively-close-to-Abilene's parking space... I believe the vehicle was parked on South Street, not a side-street. I haven't yet located the write-up that noted that.
Thanks for the info. It's not impossible that they parked on South. Just difficult. They would have had to feed a meter there in that case. Usually meters are timed and allow 2 or 3 hour parking.

It makes it even more mysterious if they were parked close. How do 2 people and a truck disappear forever in such a short span of time? One thing I thought at the time and still do, is maybe someone got into their truck and was hiding there when they got in, forcing them to drive away with a gun to one of their heads. IMO

bbm
Thanks for the info. It's not impossible that they parked on South. Just difficult. They would have had to feed a meter there in that case. Usually meters are timed and allow 2 or 3 hour parking.

It makes it even more mysterious if they were parked close. How do 2 people and a truck disappear forever in such a short span of time? One thing I thought at the time and still do, is maybe someone got into their truck and was hiding there when they got in, forcing them to drive away with a gun to one of their heads. IMO

To steal the vehicle or were DI and/or RP the perp's target? How did the perp get to South Street? How did the perp enter the vehicle? Broken window? Used a slimjim? It was unlocked?

Did he not expect the owner of the vehicle to return to the vehicle at that time? What did he plan to do with the vehicle? What did he plan to do with the two adults?

Too many angles. William of Occam is spinning in his logical grave.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awb1903