The Cars lead singer Ric Ocasek found dead in Manhattan apartment

Ouch.

Heartbreaking. Especially after the lovely posts, articles Paulina has posted lately.

“I have made no provision for my wife Paulina Porizkova (“Paulina”) as we are in the process of divorcing,” the new-wave icon wrote in his last wishes.

“Even if I should die before our divorce is final … Paulina is not entitled to any elective share … because she has abandoned me.”

The document indicates that Ocasek signed the will on Aug. 28, less than a month before his death.

** https://pagesix.com/2019/11/07/cars...upermodel-wife-paulina-porizkova-out-of-will/

Paulina's recent posts:
- Paulina Porizkova on Instagram: “Ric and I have been separated for nearly three years now. But we still lived together and still filled the family car. Everyone who knew…”

- Paulina Porizkova Remembers Ric Ocasek’s ‘Incredible Gentleness’

I had a feeling something was up. JMO, his health was poor and she moved out 2 yrs ago. Technically, that's abandonment. Had they gotten a divorce, she probably would have gotten assets, alimony, etc. He probably didn't anticipate dying before the divorce was settled. I doubt he planned to leave her with nothing.

I was also suspicious of her story of finding his body and not calling 911 for several hours so that his sons could be with him in peace. Who does that for several hours, when decomp would be setting in? JMO, they were cleaning out his home, taking anything of value. All JMO.

Sounds like she was living separately in a relationship with someone else for 3 years while having Ric still pay all the bills.

Cars singer Ric Ocasek cut his wife Paulina Porzikova out of his will claiming 'she abandoned me's' | Daily Mail Online

ETA: Sorry this sounds so cynical, but I picked up an odd vibe when reading her comments in interviews after his death.

Last edited:
I had a feeling something was up. JMO, his health was poor and she moved out 2 yrs ago. Technically, that's abandonment. Had they gotten a divorce, she probably would have gotten assets, alimony, etc. He probably didn't anticipate dying before the divorce was settled. I doubt he planned to leave her with nothing.

I was also suspicious of her story of finding his body and not calling 911 for several hours so that his sons could be with him in peace. Who does that for several hours, when decomp would be setting in? JMO, they were cleaning out his home, taking anything of value. All JMO.

Cars singer Ric Ocasek cut his wife Paulina Porzikova out of his will claiming 'she abandoned me's' | Daily Mail Online

Hi Betty!

I'm glad his was able to make this legally known before he died. Many don't have such chance, and then pass away.

Does LE find he's death suspicious? Tia!

It reminds me of a horrific murder case I just saw this week on one of the true crime channels. I'm sure it was most likely a rerun that I hadn't seen.

Anyway the victim who was a sucessful millionaire was divorcing his wife of many years.

He hired a divorce lawyer, and mistakenly the divorce attorney sent a rough draft to HER email address instead of his. ;( She had no idea before then he was filing papers to start the divorce proceedings. Iirc they were living apart. She may have had a lover, but she never worked yet was racking up a tremendous amount of debt he had to pay for which were highly unnecessary to live her own lavish lifestyle.

Anyway unbeknown to his attorney or her soon to be exhusband when she found out through the misdirected email, she then came, and horrifically murdered him in cold blood. :(

Jmhoo

Hi Betty!

I'm glad his was able to make this legally known before he died. Many don't have such chance, and then pass away.

Does LE find he's death suspicious? Tia!

It reminds me of a horrific murder case I just saw this week on one of the true crime channels. I'm sure it was most likely a rerun that I hadn't seen.

Anyway the victim who was a sucessful millionaire was divorcing his wife of many years.

He hired a divorce lawyer, and mistakenly the divorce attorney sent a rough draft to HER email address instead of his. ;( She had no idea before then he was filing papers to start the divorce proceedings. Iirc they were living apart. She may have had a lover, but she never worked yet was racking up a tremendous amount of debt he had to pay for which were highly unnecessary to live her own lavish lifestyle.

Anyway unbeknown to his attorney or her soon to be exhusband when she found out through the misdirected email, she then came, and horrifically murdered him in cold blood. :(

Jmhoo

Yikes!

No, I don't think there was anything suspicious about his death. JMO, Ric Ocasek died a natural death. It sounds like he had quite a few health problems with emphysema and heart disease, along with the unknown surgery he was recovering from.

My suspicions aren't that serious, but centered around him not having anyone watching over him post-surgery, or not as closely as he may have needed. That could be his own fault, maybe he wanted to be alone. But it was the timeline around the discovery of his death and the explanation for the long gap before they called 911. IIRC, in the Rolling Stone interview, she said she waited several hours after discovering him to call 911. She also mentioned calling lawyers, managers, etc. to get their advice on what to do. She said they told her to wait as long as possible to call 911, because then the media would be bothering them.

Add to that her admitting she was living elsewhere for a couple years and the divorce seemed to be dragging on, also for a couple of years maybe their relationship wasn't as close as it used to be.

All JMO.

The night before [his death], I had already made plans, and Jonathan had made plans, so I called my younger son Oliver, who was in school, and asked him if he could come home for the weekend to make sure someone was with his dad Saturday evening. He flew in and was with his dad that night, and on my way back home, I stopped and got some cookies for Ric. When I got there, he was sitting in his usual chair and I said, “I got some gooey cookies,” and he said, “OK, thanks, hon — I had some terrible cookies because I was in the mood for cookies, but I’ll have your gooey cookies tomorrow. I think I’m going to bed early since I‘m feeling a little sore.” And that was the last time I saw him alive.

She kind of hints she got to his place the next morning at 10:00 am, looked in and thought he was sleeping, did some chores, then went back in at 11:00 am to discover he was deceased. Coroner put his initial TOD at 4 pm, which is when EMS and police arrived and found him dead.

His manager warned me that as soon as you call 911, watch out, things will start to happen. So I didn’t call 911 for a long time. He had died in the night, not at 4 or whatever they claimed. That’s when I put in the call to 911. I wanted Ric’s sons to get here so we could all say goodbye to him. So we waited, and we got to circle the bed and hold hands and really say goodbye. We were here with his shape for many hours after his death. It was kind of wonderful because we all understood he was gone. He definitely left us. But the minute I called 911, literally two minutes [after], there were paparazzi at our house. That’s just disgusting.

So, from 11 am til 4 pm, about 5 hrs., she waited in the house with the deceased Ric. Just kind of unusual, especially since he died the night before.

Paulina Porizkova Remembers Ric Ocasek’s ‘Incredible Gentleness’

He probably provided for all his kids, probably had a trust fund, etc.

My suspicions were raised because I've heard of similar things happening after other rock stars passed. There were rumors of it after Prince died - IIRC there was an appearance of a delay in reporting his death. Sometimes family or managers/hangers on will go in to remove valuable musical instruments, memorabilia and original recordings and other possessions. It even happened with some of John Lennon's possessions, stolen by Yoko Ono's driver, among others:

Theft of John Lennon's possessions: Man to stand trial in Germany

That guy stole them from Yoko, but I'm searching for another story about one of John's employees at the time who also took some of his drawings, personal papers, etc.

Royal butler 'stole costly items from Diana after her death'

Last edited:

Sounds like she was living separately in a relationship with someone else for 3 years while having Ric still pay all the bills.

ETA: Sorry this sounds so cynical, but I picked up an odd vibe when reading her comments in interviews after his death.

[bbm]

that's not suspicious to me
I did it when my daughter died so that all my family members had a chance to hold her
while we waited for the dr. to arrive and pronounce her

[bbm]

that's not suspicious to me
I did it when my daughter died so that all my family members had a chance to hold her
while we waited for the dr. to arrive and pronounce her

So sorry to hear of the loss of your daughter. It's very understandable and natural to do hold her.

My only question about Mr. Ocasek's death was that upon finding he had passed away several hours prior, they waited another 4 or 5 hrs before calling a doctor. You're correct, though, every family mourns in their own way, according to their own customs and beliefs. I'm sure Mr. Ocasek's family were grateful for their final visit with him.

So sorry to hear of the loss of your daughter. It's very understandable and natural to do hold her.

My only question about Mr. Ocasek's death was that upon finding he had passed away several hours prior, they waited another 4 or 5 hrs before calling a doctor. You're correct, though, every family mourns in their own way, according to their own customs and beliefs. I'm sure Mr. Ocasek's family were grateful for their final visit with him.

I think they also had to worry about news media swarming them before they had that chance and it probably took time for family members to get there etc.

Bad taste considering she was cut out of the will? Yikes.

In a way I feel badly for her, just a little. From what I've read, he was a perfectionist and by his own admission wasn't an easy person to live with. Sometimes its the consequences when you marry someone wealthy - they use their money to control you. JMO

ETA: I wonder where she's living? Did she move back into their home in NY?

Last edited:
In a way I feel badly for her, just a little. From what I've read, he was a perfectionist and by his own admission wasn't an easy person to live with. Sometimes its the consequences when you marry someone wealthy - they use their money to control you. JMO

ETA: I wonder where she's living? Did she move back into their home in NY?

I agree, but posting something like this so publicly is a bit of a dig. Not cool for their kids to see, ya know? Then again, what do any of us really know? Maybe his kids feel the same way. It's a mystery what actually goes on behind closed doors. He definitely seemed a misanthropic curmudgeon, and I heartily agree that it probably wasn't easy being married to him.

I doubt she was able to move back into the NY home - if he cut her out completely then she probably got nothing. I'm curious where all his money and assets are going.

I wonder where she's living? Did she move back into their home in NY?

The NYC townhouse has been relisted: Manhattan Townhouse of Late Cars Frontman Ric Ocasek Relists for $13.9M

ALSO:

An Estate Fight May Be Coming Over Ric Ocasek’s Estate

-
And it’s the divorce that now looms over Ric Ocasek’s estate, setting the stage for a likely court battle. Normally, when someone dies in the midst of a divorce, the couple is still treated as having been married. In other words, the spouse is still a spouse, even if he or she wouldn’t have been a spouse if the divorce had been finalized sooner. This gives the spouse - Paulina Porizkova in this case - certain rights to the estate.

Ocasek though took steps to cut-off Porizkova’s spousal rights by signing a new will a few weeks before he died, just before going in for surgery. Specifically, according to the New York Post, Ocasek’s will stated that he excluded Porizkova as a beneficiary because of the divorce, along with two of his six children. But he went further and stated that Porizkova “abandoned” him and should not be entitled to any elective share.

This language is important because New York law - like the laws of most states - gives spouses the right to elect to receive a share of the estate, even when they are disinherited. That right can be lost when the spouse is found to have “abandoned” the person who died, or in certain other ways.

The language in Ocasek’s will gives ammunition to his executor to contest any election rights that Porizkova tries to assert. But, this doesn’t mean that Porizkova will automatically lose. In fact, from her social media postings, Porizkova said she was still friendly and supportive of Ric Ocasek, even bringing him his “Sunday morning coffee” when she discovered his body in the New York townhouse that they still shared.

Ultimately, it will be up to a probate judge to decide if Porizkova really did “abandon” Ocasek. Just because his will said she did, it does not mean that the judge has to agree. Instead, it will be based on the testimony and evidence presented in court.

more at link ..

Last edited:
The NYC townhouse has been relisted: Manhattan Townhouse of Late Cars Frontman Ric Ocasek Relists for $13.9M

ALSO:

An Estate Fight May Be Coming Over Ric Ocasek’s Estate

-
And it’s the divorce that now looms over Ric Ocasek’s estate, setting the stage for a likely court battle. Normally, when someone dies in the midst of a divorce, the couple is still treated as having been married. In other words, the spouse is still a spouse, even if he or she wouldn’t have been a spouse if the divorce had been finalized sooner. This gives the spouse - Paulina Porizkova in this case - certain rights to the estate.

Ocasek though took steps to cut-off Porizkova’s spousal rights by signing a new will a few weeks before he died, just before going in for surgery. Specifically, according to the New York Post, Ocasek’s will stated that he excluded Porizkova as a beneficiary because of the divorce, along with two of his six children. But he went further and stated that Porizkova “abandoned” him and should not be entitled to any elective share.

This language is important because New York law - like the laws of most states - gives spouses the right to elect to receive a share of the estate, even when they are disinherited. That right can be lost when the spouse is found to have “abandoned” the person who died, or in certain other ways.

The language in Ocasek’s will gives ammunition to his executor to contest any election rights that Porizkova tries to assert. But, this doesn’t mean that Porizkova will automatically lose. In fact, from her social media postings, Porizkova said she was still friendly and supportive of Ric Ocasek, even bringing him his “Sunday morning coffee” when she discovered his body in the New York townhouse that they still shared.

Ultimately, it will be up to a probate judge to decide if Porizkova really did “abandon” Ocasek. Just because his will said she did, it does not mean that the judge has to agree. Instead, it will be based on the testimony and evidence presented in court.

more at link ..

Yes, had read she was going to challenge the will. Also agree, she shouldn't post things like that on social media. From her interviews after his death, it sounded as if she was living elsewhere at the time of his death, hence the need to have his kids take turns sitting with him at home while he was recovering from surgery.

Maybe she should have just asked for a divorce before getting involved in another relationship. Not familiar with divorce law in NY, but if they had just divorced, seems she would have gotten something.

Apparently, she was still modeling some:

Paulina Porizkova 2019 SI Swimsuit Photos

Says she is still grieving, angry, etc

Paulina Porizkova opens up about grief over late husband Ric Ocasek | Daily Mail Online

ETA: At the link above, one of her social media posts is quoted, mentioning they were separated.

Last edited:
Yes, had read she was going to challenge the will. Also agree, she shouldn't post things like that on social media. From her interviews after his death, it sounded as if she was living elsewhere at the time of his death, hence the need to have his kids take turns sitting with him at home while he was recovering from surgery.

Maybe she should have just asked for a divorce before getting involved in another relationship. Not familiar with divorce law in NY, but if they had just divorced, seems she would have gotten something.

Apparently, she was still modeling some:

Paulina Porizkova 2019 SI Swimsuit Photos

Says she is still grieving, angry, etc

Paulina Porizkova opens up about grief over late husband Ric Ocasek | Daily Mail Online

ETA: At the link above, one of her social media posts is quoted, mentioning they were separated.

Correction to my own post above: The couple were separated and in the process of divorcing when he passed.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo53
Back