CO CO - Kelsey Berreth, 29, Woodland Park, Teller County, 22 Nov 2018 - *Arrest* #66

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sam’s response to a question about why there was an audible gasp in the courtroom when Bentley began his testimony about the letters.

We were all surprised to hear this inmate suggesting Frazee sought his help to kill witnesses before the trial. That was not on our radar

Sam Kraemer on Twitter

It’s a rare Perry Mason moment almost.

This kind of thing almost never happens.

@MyBelle

Frazee trial: Letters say Frazee asked inmate to kill witnesses

"...In letter 9, Frazee allegedly claimed that the DA’s Office was working with Kenney to give her quotes to say so her testimony matched the circumstantial evidence in the case...."

I'm old so maybe I am hearing impaired, but that sounds like a claim that would be made during a trial, not way back Sept-Oct 2019. How would PF have developed this opinion before the trial to relay it to Bentley? Didn't Bentley admit to watching a TV show about the the case and/or googling about it? What about Bentley's pending testimony in Weld County re: another solicitation, that was brought up during cross and other issues brought up during cross? Did you find him credible?

JMO Bentley was not credible, not at all. I do not think his testimony reflected well on the Prosecution, they should have skipped him, and they certainly should not have rested with him. His testimony all sounds like the sort of nonsense drug addicts come up with when they are high. All JMO
The John Doe's pending testimony in Weld County re: another solicitation is on behalf of the DEFENDANT in that case, not for the prosecution, so he's not chalking up any good will points with the state for testifying in that unrelated case.

“There is something about the whole plot that, for me, reeks of female scheming.

That statement (let alone the thought) needs serious introspective contemplation.

What exactly would qualify for male scheming?...writing death threat hits on jailhouse paper towels ?

Oh, I hope so! And to think that SF had to hear all this the same way we did (the trial part - she may have been informed by his defense ahead of time??).

I don’t know. Somehow he had to communicate with her about what had to be done and how to help. Jail calls or notes to her will undoubtedly come up.

Because the dude was bonded out. How would she know to do that and why would she?

“There is something about the whole plot that, for me, reeks of female scheming.

That statement (let alone the thought) needs serious introspective contemplation.

What exactly would qualify for male scheming?...writing death threat hits on jailhouse paper towels ?
Or maybe telling the woman who thinks she’s your fiancé that you’re coming over to enjoy a nice holiday together, but then you lure her into the ruse of a blindfolded, candle-sniffing game. And then you batter up. Or should I say batterer up.

Male scheming.

These paper towel (and commissary receipt) letters are so outrageous, so outlandish, yet so compelling, that I can't imagine a defense attorney not sputtering out objection after objection if they had ANY way of pushing back on the content or authenticity. Or even to question the witness on how he ended up with these letters, how they were passed, surely they could have tripped him up on some little detail if they weren't true. But they couldn't. So once again, they had to resort to just poking at his motivations.

Yup. Hearsay (because their angle should be we don’t know who wrote them so it’s not an admission by a party opponent), lack of foundation/authentication, lay (improper) opinion (as to Slater’s testimony that the letters matched PF’s handwriting. Because he’s not a handwriting expert).

If these objections weren’t made before the jury it’s because they knew the letters were PF’s and didn’t want the jury to see how hard they wanted to keep them out.

And not even any cross: “You don’t have a degree in handwriting analysis, true?”

Nothing. There’s a reason for that and it’s not to set up a defense for appeal. You make a record for appeal with valid objections. Unless you know that those objections aren’t valid and would cause more issues than not.

Aw thanks - but so many here who work hard in this thread. Team effort for sure. I have a weird memory where I tend to remember everything I read. I just wish I could type faster! No, can't take any credit on the Dulos case. I pop in every now and then if there's a development, but am not well versed in that one like so many of you!

That is awesome!!

That^^ is what I have been thinking too.

But tonight I was wondering something different....What if SF2 made a deal with the DA....and traded his solid testimony against his brother, in exchange for them leaving his Mom out of this?

I reread SF2's testimony as a brother and witness at his family's Thanksgiving and don't understand what he could have "traded" with the DA to leave SF out of the trial.

Questions were asked and answered and he didn't tell the DA what to ask him. I believe SF2 simply told the truth to the best of his recollection.

I don't think SF was called to testify because her attorney told the court at the preliminary she would assert her 5th Amendment to any questions, and the prosecution was able to answer their questions (i.e., the fire and PF's arrival time on Thanksgiving) without her. I don't think it had anything to do with SF2-- his life difficult enough as it is serving in the same District. MOO

I don’t know. Somehow he had to communicate with her about what had to be done and how to help. Jail calls or notes to her will undoubtedly come up.

Because the dude was bonded out. How would she know to do that and why would she?
"Why would she?" Well there's 100 Septillion reasons, plus Kenny testifying SF saw the bonfire, CB Testifying SF refered to Kelsey as a hooker. Jail calls are recorded. My guess is they talked about 'elk hunting' in one of these calls.
MOO

It is like he thought his "friend" and his people were just going to round up all the people on the list and hold them hostage until the 22nd. At what point do they say, Enough! We need to take a closer look at this guy's brain? I really want to hear more about him from locals who grew up with him and went through school with him.

To take it a step further: Did he think it through beyond that?

The trial comes and suddenly not ONE of the witnesses is anywhere to be found.

Did he really think no one would look into it, and that would be it - as if the judge would say "Oh my, none of the witnesses showed up. You can all go home now!"

Truly amazing thought distortion by PF.

EDIT: To point out that @MassGuy and @makayla made similar posts earlier in the thread, pointing out how far PF was from reality!

Last edited:
Yup. Hearsay (because their angle should be we don’t know who wrote them so it’s not an admission by a party opponent), lack of foundation/authentication, lay (improper) opinion (as to Slater’s testimony that the letters matched PF’s handwriting. Because he’s not a handwriting expert).

If these objections weren’t made before the jury it’s because they knew the letters were PF’s and didn’t want the jury to see how hard they wanted to keep them out.

And not even any cross: “You don’t have a degree in handwriting analysis, true?”

Nothing. There’s a reason for that and it’s not to set up a defense for appeal. You make a record for appeal with valid objections. Unless you know that those objections aren’t valid and would cause more issues than not.
Ah, good post. I for one had wondered if the defense was just throwing in the towel with the new evidence, thinking the best thing they could do for their client at this point is to let the appeal team take it on. But you make good points.

Is it possible that in the closed door sessions, the defense filed motions that the judge denied? Or did they gather in chambers and argue it out without the formality of motions? Just wondering if there will be a paper trail that we can read when this is all said and done.

I reread SF2's testimony as a brother and witness at his family's Thanksgiving and don't understand what he could have "traded" with the DA to leave SF out of the trial.

Questions were asked and answered and he didn't tell the DA what to ask him. I believe SF2 simply told the truth to the best of his recollection.

I don't think SF was called to testify because her attorney told the court at the preliminary she would assert her 5th Amendment to any questions, and the prosecution was able to answer their questions (i.e., the fire and PF's arrival time on Thanksgiving) without her. I don't think it had anything to do with SF2-- his life difficult enough as it is serving in the same District. MOO
I wonder if a lawyer could weigh in here. (@gitana1 ?:))

Is it possible they left SF out of the trial so that PF's murder case (the most important) could go on without any hangups, and not showing their hand beforehand, while fully intending to go after her later? Is there a time limit on that?

Last edited:
If the DA requested not using the witnesses name and those with journalist integrity are respecting that, should we continue to name him in these public posts?

Do we know if Jacob Bentley is or is not a pseudo name to protect the witness? The witness was identified by his full name in a public courtroom and via MSM, most of who are still using his full name.

It was a nice request by the DA after the fact, but there is no judicial order in place in that respect.

Let's wait and see if anything more comes of it.

ETA: To save some work for the WS staff ... from this point forward, let's refer to him as JB John Doe so that if we have the time to go back and redact the full name, it will only have to be up to this point.

Last edited:
Here you go... not sure what he means by the "hole in S to sell" ?

Letters to the prison buddy:

Top of Letter One
Flush when you're done
You know where to find
Krystal Jean Kenny Lee?
Chad Lee?
Michelle Stein?
Joe Moore?
Wendy Clark?
They all need to disappear unseen until at least November 22 after the trial.
Wendy is the cash cow. Joe has all kinds of **** to sell.
Pass a message to her or call.
Use a fake name that all the horses are taken care of?
Or have her tell me the elk hunt was successful?

Front of Letter 12 - sounded like the note said something like:
Flush.
How gangster will you get?
I've got an idea.
Hole in S to sell?
But you'd have to kidnap and hide em until you're done.
South Florrisant, guy and chic.
55 to 60 years old.
Have wheels.
Have cards shipped to hack and sell.

Front of Letter 16
Joe is bald on top, brown/gray hair on top, 5'10", 220
Wendy gray, brown hair, 5' 8"
Only thing is they can't show back up before or during trial
Joe Moore, Krystal Kenney, Michelle Stein, Chad Lee are all going to testify against me. Can you make them all disappear?
Wendy is a cash cow.
All of this is just between us right??? (3 question marks)
If you rob their place, the sky is the limit within reason.

PF: The sky is the limit!
JD: !
PF: Within reason.
JD: ...?
PF: Well, exactly.

I thought this, as well. I wonder if he thought that KB's family had a big farm, and she was a pilot making a lot of money. Over time, he realized that was not the case. He was actually having to help support KB with the baby. With that, she now wanted to work part time, without medical coverage. I think, she became of no use to PF, at that point. I've always thought this crime was motivated by money, not custody. He really doesn't care for his daughter. A person like PF only cares about one person, himself. Everyone else is a pawn, a means to an end, a "cash cow". Poor Kelsey, she didn't have a chance with this guy. Please let this jury convict him; so no other woman will end up like Kelsey because I believe he won't stop. JMO

Although I would not be surprised if during the civil suit, we learned that the baby did have a cash value to him in some way. Through his father's estate or through KB.

i'm thinking the defense would question any evidence presented by the prosecution that the defense thought was invalid. my guess would be that during one of this weeks closed door meetings the judge and the two sides had a chance to view the notes side by side with known examples of PFs handwriting and it was painfully obvious the notes were written by PF. otherwise i would tend to think it was the defenses obligation to ask the court for analysis on the handwriting. or, in the end, PF to tell the judge himself that he needed the notes to be verified. since neither the defense nor PF requested analysis they seem to accept the notes were authored by PF.

There's no expiration date for discovery during a trial and the court is accustomed to handling last-minute evidence.

The trial was far ahead of schedule and if PF's defense wanted to challenge the validity of the evidence then I'm sure the DA would have requested handwriting analysis and the court would have agreed. There was no challenge and no analysis necessary. Simply, the defense accepted PF authored the notes. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rodrickheffley